Little wants Shorey at Pompy

330 posts
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Little wants Shorey at Pompy

by Arch » 04 Aug 2008 21:55

Mr Angry To be honest, I'm glad that a number of clubs are in a bidding war for Shorey; it means we will get more money for what is basically an unhappy player, who doesn't want to play for the club at the very time we need everyone who goes across the white line to be 100% focussed on helping Reading FC achieve success.

I suspect SC's uncharacteristic openness last weekend was mainly designed to stir up interest among potential suitors. RFC were in a tough position if one team (say Portsmouth for the sake of argument) were offering 3 million and no one else were even sniffing around. The club do not want to have Shorey around for another season, so Pompey can call our bluff. So Steve says he'll be off for the right offer and three or four clubs start calculating what the right offer must be. Now Pompey aren't sitting so pretty with their offer.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Aug 2008 01:20

Add in th ebit about not needing to sell and if it doesn't go through he'll be playing against Forest and it encourages the view that we arn't going to cave in like bitches so cough up.

At least you could read it that way

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 05 Aug 2008 12:06

Reading boss Steve Coppell has confirmed he has rejected a bid for England left-back Nicky Shorey.

The Royals chief is under no pressure to sell despite relegation last season and has warned those clubs circling his players that there are no bargains to be had at the Madejski Stadium.

Shorey has been strongly linked with a move to Portsmouth, but reports in Tuesday's written press have suggested Sunderland have entered the race for his signature, along with Aston Villa.

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp has openly admitted his admiration for the player, but has stopped short of confirming that a bid has been lodged.

Coppell has only lost Dave Kitson to date from the side which dropped down to the Championship last term and has no intention of relinquishing Shorey for anything less than his full value.

"We do not need to sell anyone so I am not going to give anyone away," said Coppell.

"The offer we have had is not one that we find acceptable. I have spoken to Nicky and he accepts the situation."

Anyone know how much and who it was from?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 05 Aug 2008 12:55

Think it was Sunderland ...not sure what game Coppell isplaying here holding out for a much larger sum for a guy who has 12 mnoths left on his contract. Id rather take £3m give Oreint their 15% and the rest, as per usual wont get spent so whats the problem.

alternative we have an unhappy player who will no doubt cause instability at club, problems in dressing room and Stevie wouldnt want his precious team spirit to be upset- thats the reason he got shot of Kitson so why not be consistent and let Shorey go.

Huge fees in are only good if those fees are re-invested-we never re-invest so what difference does £1m quid make

We are becoming a club that sends out inconsistent messages

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Aug 2008 13:01

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Think it was Sunderland ...not sure what game Coppell isplaying here holding out for a much larger sum for a guy who has 12 mnoths left on his contract. Id rather take £3m give Oreint their 15% and the rest, as per usual wont get spent so whats the problem.

alternative we have an unhappy player who will no doubt cause instability at club, problems in dressing room and Stevie wouldnt want his precious team spirit to be upset- thats the reason he got shot of Kitson so why not be consistent and let Shorey go.

Huge fees in are only good if those fees are re-invested-we never re-invest so what difference does £1m quid make

nope

he let kitson go becuase an offer came in that matched our valuation, kitson was informed, and told coppell he would like to go

when that happens here-shorey will go too

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 05 Aug 2008 13:04

brendywendy
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Think it was Sunderland ...not sure what game Coppell isplaying here holding out for a much larger sum for a guy who has 12 mnoths left on his contract. Id rather take £3m give Oreint their 15% and the rest, as per usual wont get spent so whats the problem.

nope

he let kitson go becuase an offer came in that matched our valuation, kitson was informed, and told coppell he would like to go

when that happens here-shorey will go too

Thats what the official line is yes !

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Aug 2008 13:19

so you are going with the baseless consipracy theory instead are you?

fair enough

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 05 Aug 2008 13:35

not at all and its not a conspiracy theory - Do you believe everything that you read coming out of the Madejski Stadium?

Much like many clubs, Reading aren't in the habit of making public anything that goes on behind the scenes - what is it they call it "washing clothes in public"?

You are quite entitled to believe what you read, and I'm quite entitled to believe what I know - we can agree to disagree on this one

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 05 Aug 2008 13:41

sorry , I meant to say "washing dirty linen in public"

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 05 Aug 2008 13:42

A guy on 606 reckons Shorey is going to Villa for 3.2m.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 05 Aug 2008 13:44

Sarah Star A guy on 606 reckons Shorey is going to Villa for 3.2m.

Would be interested to know what the offer was that was rejected - I thought Coppell was muting a £4m+ offer being the ballpark

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 05 Aug 2008 13:45

I think at this stage I'd take it. Although 606 tends to be complete BS.

Streets

by Streets » 05 Aug 2008 13:49

Bill Oddie's Beard

I think at this stage I'd take it. Although 606 tends to be complete BS.

With 1 year left on his contract and his appauling attitude last season, I'd take £2m.

We must though bring in a new left back, and one that can stake a claim in the side NOW.

None of this crap about waiting. Just more excuses from a club seemingly going backwards.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 05 Aug 2008 13:57

Times today reckons Villa and Sunderland have tabled bids of £1.5m. Not surprised if that is the case that SC is hodling out for more. Even with only 1 year left on contract we must be looking towards £3m. Would accept £2m at a push just to get the damn thing resolved.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 05 Aug 2008 14:03

...same guy says we want Gibbs from Arsenal as a replacement.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 05 Aug 2008 14:10

Sarah Star

...same guy says we want Gibbs from Arsenal as a replacement.

http://www.arsenal.com/player.asp?thisN ... 6&cpid=825

'can operate in either central midfield or wide on the left'

Doesn't sound like much of a replacement!!

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 05 Aug 2008 14:14

A replacement for Hunt, who is our new left back.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Aug 2008 14:16

£2m is far too cheap for Shorey - we'll never get a decent replacement for him with that money! I'd rather we kept him until January than sell him too cheaply.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 05 Aug 2008 14:21

SpaceCruiser £2m is far too cheap for Shorey - we'll never get a decent replacement for him with that money! I'd rather we kept him until January than sell him too cheaply.

So how much would you get for him in January? £1.5 or less? Doofus.

Streets

by Streets » 05 Aug 2008 14:26

SpaceCruiser £2m is far too cheap for Shorey - we'll never get a decent replacement for him with that money! I'd rather we kept him until January than sell him too cheaply.

Is there anything between your eyes?

If we get £20m for him, Coppell will still only have £1m at the very most to use for a replacement.

Anyway, back to cloud cookoo land.

330 posts