To All Those Who Are Blaming Lack Of Funds For Inactivity...

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: To All Those Who Are Blaming Lack Of Funds For Inactivity...

by Alan Partridge » 09 Aug 2008 11:41

Royal Lady Er yeah AP - that was kind of the point I was making too!

Apologies, it's too early on a saturday for me and I read the first line of your post and commented. It's handbags_harris fault sending me a text at 8am about some train fault on his trip to Darlington v Exeter as if I give a flying rats testicle about that load of shite. :roll: :P

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 09 Aug 2008 12:17

Coppell doesn't like buying players.

It's that simple.

It doesn't matter how much he has.

Give him £10m. Do you think he'd spend it?

I said the same things last summer. He'll always looks for the easy/cheap option or just not buy anyone. When he could have spent in January, he bottled it.

People have to accept that with Coppell in charge, we're are not going to be proactive in the transfer market and he will look to make do, every single time.

If he can get away with not signing anyone else he will. He's been forced into a corner on the lb situation, but don't be surprised if he doesn't sign anyone, if he could play Hunt at left back next season, he would.

Just like the right wing situation. Kebe's done ok in pre season, looked quick, so he's Coppell's excuse not to buy a right winger. It's like last summer when he refused to sign a right winger, saying Fae could play there. He clearly didn't believe that and other just one performance from Fae, it was clear he couldn't. Still did we sign a right winger?

People have just got to accept Coppell. He was never going to change, this is the manager he is. Hopefully we'll get away with it. I do not understand Coppell one bit though. Yes it worked in our 1st season in The Prem, but that was because of the momentum. Where's the momentum now??

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Aug 2008 12:30

In that case, despite all Madejski's posturings about wanting to compete in the PL etc etc, he must sanction Coppell's thoughts if that's the case, or he would have got shot of him at the end of last season wouldn't he?

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 09 Aug 2008 12:41

For those who have reading world like myself, please watch this video as this is the kind of team spirit we need this season. Simply brilliant atmosphere in the camp.
http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 44,00.html
We need to replicate this.

LOL at glen Little.

friday fan

by friday fan » 09 Aug 2008 13:08

We all knew Coppell had to sell before he could buy, that message was loud and clear. Little leaving on a free was a shock, Kits only left a few weeks ago and although Shorey was iminent until he was sold we couldn't buy a repalcement. I suspect Coppell will go with the Hunt at LB option until he gets the player he really wants. I don't expect any signings until Jan transfer window to be honest. I also don't think Coppell or the head hocho's will let anyone else go as they are all in contract for a while at least that is of course if a really inflated offer is tabled. I'm pretty sure that what we have is what we will still have come January then it will be reassessed.

Gloomy news to those expecting a big name signing but I'd bet my house on the above.

Now all we gotta do is get off to a flyer against Forest :)

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 09 Aug 2008 13:32

When was the last time that the egomaniac got himself in front of the cameras with a new signing and spouted those blah blah words " I hope that this shows the fans our ambition with this signing......"????????????? Always one for a few extra minutes of self massaging fame!

We let Reading World or Sky News let us know now of the ambitious signings- and the only thing that comes out of the ivroy tower - is Fee Undisclosed!

Truth is for quite a while now, none of our signings have showed any ambition, so egomaniac would be lying to stand/sit in front of cameras are spit out his usual drivel!

I expect if we get a good spanking at Forest, the rose tinted specs will be off by the masses...for a few minutes anyway

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Aug 2008 15:21

rfcjoe For those who have reading world like myself, please watch this video as this is the kind of team spirit we need this season. Simply brilliant atmosphere in the camp.

LOL at glen Little.

The good old days.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 09 Aug 2008 15:22

FiNeRaIn
rfcjoe For those who have reading world like myself, please watch this video as this is the kind of team spirit we need this season. Simply brilliant atmosphere in the camp.

LOL at glen Little.

The good old days.

I take it you watched it? Twas absolutely brilliant! We need to rekindle that kind of atmosphere.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 09 Aug 2008 16:05

Both Watford and Charlton have sold off players to raise money recently.
Admittedly in Watford's case the money is needed for ground improvements (I think) rather than simply for survival. And manager Boothroyd is putting on a brave face with comments to Radio 5 today that "it will give headroom for my youngsters to come through"

It's not as easy to bounce back as we might think here on Hob Nob Anyone. And firmly stewarded financials are crucial.

Sources.
Charlton’s financial situation has meant Pardew has had to sell several players to balance the books.
Pardew himself is not happy about the transfer of Madjid Bougherra to Rangers for £2.5m. He said “It's disappointing but you have to manage the club as the board see fit.”
http://www.givemefootball.com/display.cfm?article=12919&type=1&area_id=12

Watford, like Charlton, might seriously regret their poor second half of last season. With reports emanating that the club face financial difficulty, the fact that their parachute payments run out this season could be cause for concern. Dan Shittu, Darius Henderson, Jordan Stewart, Nathan Ellington and Steve Kabba have all left.
http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/localsport/3579271.Hornets_ease_cash_worries/

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 09 Aug 2008 16:30

Factfinder Both Watford and Charlton have sold off players to raise money recently.
Admittedly in Watford's case the money is needed for ground improvements (I think) rather than simply for survival. And manager Boothroyd is putting on a brave face with comments to Radio 5 today that "it will give headroom for my youngsters to come through"

It's not as easy to bounce back as we might think here on Hob Nob Anyone. And firmly stewarded financials are crucial.

Sources.
Charlton’s financial situation has meant Pardew has had to sell several players to balance the books.
Pardew himself is not happy about the transfer of Madjid Bougherra to Rangers for £2.5m. He said “It's disappointing but you have to manage the club as the board see fit.”

Watford, like Charlton, might seriously regret their poor second half of last season. With reports emanating that the club face financial difficulty, the fact that their parachute payments run out this season could be cause for concern. Dan Shittu, Darius Henderson, Jordan Stewart, Nathan Ellington and Steve Kabba have all left.
http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/localsport/3579271.Hornets_ease_cash_worries/

.and there was me thinking that because Egomaniac had ruled the club finances with an iron fist we would be ok - but no we, like Charlton and Watford, need to sell before we buy!!! We did an extra year in prem than Watford and 2 than Charlton, probably spent far less on transfers than them, yet we are now in the same boat! Just makes the point I think!

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 09 Aug 2008 17:04

Well pull your finger out Coppell. Your coming out with the same boring rhetoric as last season. S Hunt at left back for the first game of the season--just about says it all! What a joke!

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 09 Aug 2008 17:16

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Coppell doesn't like buying players.

It's that simple.

It doesn't matter how much he has.

Give him £10m. Do you think he'd spend it?

I said the same things last summer. He'll always looks for the easy/cheap option or just not buy anyone. When he could have spent in January, he bottled it.

People have to accept that with Coppell in charge, we're are not going to be proactive in the transfer market and he will look to make do, every single time.

If he can get away with not signing anyone else he will. He's been forced into a corner on the lb situation, but don't be surprised if he doesn't sign anyone, if he could play Hunt at left back next season, he would.

Just like the right wing situation. Kebe's done ok in pre season, looked quick, so he's Coppell's excuse not to buy a right winger. It's like last summer when he refused to sign a right winger, saying Fae could play there. He clearly didn't believe that and other just one performance from Fae, it was clear he couldn't. Still did we sign a right winger?

People have just got to accept Coppell. He was never going to change, this is the manager he is. Hopefully we'll get away with it. I do not understand Coppell one bit though. Yes it worked in our 1st season in The Prem, but that was because of the momentum. Where's the momentum now??

Spot on. He did the same at Palace and thats why he walked out at Man City. Just can'y handle a 'big' club or the finances attached to it.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Aug 2008 17:42

Tilehurst Mike
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Coppell doesn't like buying players.

It's that simple.

Spot on. He did the same at Palace and thats why he walked out at Man City. Just can'y handle a 'big' club or the finances attached to it.

I don't think it's quite as simple that he doesn't like buying players. I think he's a lot more selective and a lot more cautious than many other managers are, since he always likes to be sure that the player "fits" the squad in terms of personality etc, and so by doing that he both cuts down the options available and potentially increases the time it takes for transfers to be made.

As you say, that's the way he is - he is not a natural gambler or risk taker, and when the sums involved are much bigger (i.e. PL level) then this seems to be even more pronounced as even a small gamble by PL levels is a big gamble by normal levels.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 09 Aug 2008 18:35

We need someone like Big Sam.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 09 Aug 2008 18:42

readingbedding We need someone like Big Sam.

Madejski would have a coronary at Big Sam's list of players/wages that he would like to bring in. He'd barely get in the door, let alone get to '2nd interview' stage (if they have one in managerial terms.)

Safe to say, if we want a manager with true ambition, we need a chairman who is prepared to go the extra mile OR seek funding to make it so. Madejski is neither.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 09 Aug 2008 18:45

We need someone like Billy Davies, he got Derby up, he must be good.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 09 Aug 2008 19:15

Yeah I know, If only Coppell could get teams promoted with a record breaking points total. If only.......

:roll:

joe999

by joe999 » 09 Aug 2008 20:25

Madejski and Coppell both need to f*ck off. Simple as that.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Aug 2008 21:22

Indeed. Bring back Elm Park and bouncing between bottom tiers under an old tin shed.

Them were the special days.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 09 Aug 2008 21:24

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
Factfinder Both Watford and Charlton have sold off players to raise money recently.

Sources.

.and there was me thinking that because Egomaniac had ruled the club finances with an iron fist we would be ok - but no we, like Charlton and Watford, need to sell before we buy!!! We did an extra year in prem than Watford and 2 than Charlton, probably spent far less on transfers than them, yet we are now in the same boat! Just makes the point I think!

Not really "in the same boat". We had to sell to generate funds to buy. They had to sell to stop debts mounting up.

Also, anyone who think playing Hunt at left back is anything but a stop-gap is an idiot. We couldn't buy until we sold Shorey, because we wouldn't want two players in that position, and the deal just dragged on, probably due to bids received not being acceptable. If we are going into September with no left back then I really would want to know what the hell is going on as that would be unacceptable, but that's still a long way off.