Would you have settled for this?

Acceptable losses?

Had hoped we would have kept more of the squad together.
4%
Had expected greater (or similar) losses; am satisfied with the strength of the squad.
24%
Had expected greater (or similar) losses, but am unsatisfied because of the lack of investment in replacements.
72%

Total votes: 133
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Would you have settled for this?

by Royalee » 08 Aug 2008 10:55

Big Ern
Royalee A job well done on the car park protest judging by those voting figures then...

I don't think the problem is Coppell. The porblem is Madejski. We don't know to what extent Coppell's hands have been tied with regards to being competitive in the transfer market, and Coppell is hardly the sort of Manager to come out in public and say "I want to sign players but the chairman won't give me the funds required to do so"

The sooner Madejski sells the club the better IMO

What would he have had to lose by asking for funds given his strong bargaining position following promotion? If Madejski'd sacked him for it then there'd have been uproar and the clubs would have been queueing up for his services after the first Premiership season.

Let's assume even then that he chose not to - he'd hardly come out like he did and say 'I am very luck to have such a supportive chairman who allows me to get on with my job and provides me with the backing to do so' like he did in the local press, would he?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 08 Aug 2008 12:55

There would have been a bit of uproar then the fans would have gone back to supporting the team, someone mentioned Brum and ambition, is this the same club that the Chairman got serious grief after relegation??

Mr Mad thinks footballers are expensive commodities, our record signing v the cost of a certain statue, however he sees that there is money in the game, but does not want to take the risk at getting that money, in fact I would say he does not know how to make money from football,

football Income
1) large crowds, not going to make that at 24k (he knows this)
2) tv income, we had two good seasons, and seems to have all gone
3) players, buy young hungry players with potential, keep for couple of years then sell on at a profit, sadly we dont actually seem to be in surplus on this one, possibly because we wont take the chance on players at too high a cost. I can see Stoke making money on Kitson, and one good season from Shorey and I can see Villa making a profit when he goes.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2008 13:08

I'd like to have seen us be more proactive in the market and make some exciting signings. But I'm happy with the squad. Obviously I'd rather like a left back asap.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 08 Aug 2008 13:26

Ian Royal I'd like to have seen us be more proactive in the market and make some exciting signings. But I'm happy with the squad. Obviously I'd rather like a left back asap.

Ditto, although would like to add right midfielder unless Kebe and/or Henry show otherwise.

Cookie

by Cookie » 08 Aug 2008 20:26

The whole year inn

Now that WILL appreciate in value.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 08 Aug 2008 20:43

Obviously, bit gutted we're likely to start new season with out a proper left back, which until a few days ago was'nt a big problem...

I am most gutted about not replacing Kitson with a tall striker. I distictly remember the failed playoff finish season where we simply didnt score goals from corners and crosses into the box, we didnt have balance. We got Kitson in, and all that changed.

From that i have deduced that we WILL struggle in that area, not that all is lost.

I would love some of our youngsters to step up to the plate, and if they can, and do an equally good job - then im otherwise happy.

<i voted the 3rd option btw>

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 09 Aug 2008 15:10

The whole year inn

Probably still a better option than Kebe on the right or Hunt at left back.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 09 Aug 2008 15:49

Schards#2 Given the avalanche of money we have had and not spent over the last two seasons, the suggestion "we have to sell before we buy" was, to my mind, outrageous.

The fact that we have sold but, only bought at less than 10% of the selling is scandellous and indicative of the club's priorities.

Schards it totally right - no adequate replacements and no sufficient competition for places . A small squad wanted by who - by Coppell or by Egomaniac?
The sooner the guy sells up the sooner the club will move forwards because the fact is currently we are going in reverse.

I said earlier we had lost our best defender, our best winger, our best central midfielder, and our best all round forward, not replaced them and Egomaniac had grandeure of us getting back into premiership. For a moment, he needs to start understanding football and not concentrate so much on the bottom line.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 09 Aug 2008 16:19

A pair of words with the same kind of distinction as disinterested/uninterested is dissatisfied and unsatisfied. Dissatisfied carries the meaning that a person is discontented, as in "Steve is discontented with his job." Unsatisfied means that something is lacking, unfulfilled, or is yet to happen, as in "Leroy's goal hunger went unsatisfied for weeks."

Alternatively we could all be much more positive, imagine if you'd travelled to Barrow last night to support your team.
The wheels come off at Barrow.

Now there's miserable isn't it?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 09 Aug 2008 16:26

Factfinder A pair of words with the same kind of distinction as disinterested/uninterested is dissatisfied and unsatisfied. Dissatisfied carries the meaning that a person is discontented, as in "Steve is discontented with his job." Unsatisfied means that something is lacking, unfulfilled, or is yet to happen, as in "Leroy's goal hunger went unsatisfied for weeks."

Alternatively we could all be much more positive, imagine if you'd travelled to Barrow last night to support your team.
The wheels come off at Barrow.

Now there's miserable isn't it?

and your point is????????? just get to it than whaffle

Aussie Stu

by Aussie Stu » 09 Aug 2008 17:04

Do we focus on trying to get too many bargain basement buys?
Kitson is a huge loss.
Shorey, I'll probaly get shot down, but what the heck.... I didn't think his heart was in it towards the end of last season. It (probably) would have been worse this season if he had of stayed. Time to sell.
Matejovsky will dominate the champ. So should Hunt & Lita (if he & Coppell can/have settled their differences). Doyle to regain confidence. Solid defence with Bikey, Ingarmarsson.
I still think we need another creative offensive mid. We seemed very stagnant last year thru the middle, no flair. Too many harmless long balls.
Who do we recruit, I don't know! No one over here to recommend!

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 09 Aug 2008 17:41

Aussie Stu Do we focus on trying to get too many bargain basement buys?
Kitson is a huge loss.
Shorey, I'll probaly get shot down, but what the heck.... I didn't think his heart was in it towards the end of last season. It (probably) would have been worse this season if he had of stayed. Time to sell.
Matejovsky will dominate the champ. So should Hunt & Lita (if he & Coppell can/have settled their differences). Doyle to regain confidence. Solid defence with Bikey, Ingarmarsson.
I still think we need another creative offensive mid. We seemed very stagnant last year thru the middle, no flair. Too many harmless long balls.
Who do we recruit, I don't know! No one over here to recommend!

Agree but Egomaniac has said we have to "cut our cloth accordingly" - but what we dont know is how much cloth we have . We could make a big statement by getting in a quality midfielder alongside Marek, but in reality its not going to happen and reality says we aint going to get back up either.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Aug 2008 18:48

I'd like to know where, apart from LB people think our squad is weak, and Coppell has already said he is looking for a replacement now Shorey has left.

GK.......USA is the best goalie in the division, and Fed is more than capable back up
RB........2 quality RB's in LR and Murts.
CB.........5/6 quality CB's on our books.
RM........possibly sigtly weak, but I am excited by the prospect of seeing Kebe and Henry.
CM........Harper and Marek are 2 of the best CM's in the division, and in Cisse, Karacan, Gunnar, and maybe Bikey we have good back up
LM........Convey and Hunt are both good enough for this level
ST........2 Prem striker, 2 good Champ strikers.

Enough of the negativity, and get behind the team and the manager ffs.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 09 Aug 2008 21:32

Factfinder A pair of words with the same kind of distinction as disinterested/uninterested is dissatisfied and unsatisfied. Dissatisfied carries the meaning that a person is discontented, as in "Steve is discontented with his job." Unsatisfied means that something is lacking, unfulfilled, or is yet to happen, as in "Leroy's goal hunger went unsatisfied for weeks."

You're absolutely right. That's a worry, considering that I'm supposed to teach people English... :oops:

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 10 Aug 2008 01:21

RobRoyal

You're absolutely right. That's a worry, considering that I'm supposed to teach people English... :oops:

Relax dude you isn't de one wot rote it.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 10 Aug 2008 08:01

I'd like to know where, apart from LB people think our squad is weak, and Coppell has already said he is looking for a replacement now Shorey has left.

GK.......USA is the best goalie in the division, and Fed is more than capable back up - Is he? Reallly? Great shot stopper, but seems to have got worse at his distribution and crosses. Federici could be any 'reserve' keeper, imo.
RB........2 quality RB's in LR and Murts. - Disagree totally. Murty, bless him, is injury prone and aging. Rosenior is 'variable' to say the least.
CB.........5/6 quality CB's on our books. - Probably too many CB's which should be converted into other positions. It's our 'best' position, granted.
RM........possibly sigtly weak, but I am excited by the prospect of seeing Kebe and Henry. - No, it's very weak. You shouldn't have inexperience as your only hope in a very advanced position.
CM........Harper and Marek are 2 of the best CM's in the division, and in Cisse, Karacan, Gunnar, and maybe Bikey we have good back up - I'll give you Harper and Marek, the trick is hoping Marek can get the space and avoid getting kicked up in the air. Karacan is a great hope, Gunnar is shot however. If we can find a spot for Bikey (rather than fill in 'somewhere' the team will get better.)
LM........Convey and Hunt are both good enough for this level - Good enough, but only one can play at any one time, which will mean Shunt.
ST........2 Prem striker, 2 good Champ strikers. - But none above 6ft...and that's a problem.

It's a decent squad, but people aren't half relying on past successes (and forget the failures.) If we get injuries in a couple of positions (attacking centre mid, right side totally, left back, goalkeeper) I think we're relying on air...or Bikey or Hunt to move around wherever we need to fill in. That's just not good enough for a 'squad' to me to last. We were incredibly lucky in our best season at this level, with injuries. I can't see that happening again, but people are prepared to. So be it.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 10 Aug 2008 15:55

Todays perfomance only backs up the fact they we have been let down by the club again. We are four players short (5 if Harper leaves) of having a decent team and don't have a single player capable of putting a decent corss into the box Our 1 signing didn't even make the bench today, and that does nothing for my confidence about his prospects. Why did we spend money if he wasn't going to challenge for a first team spot?????

The sooner Madejski sells the club and fooks off the better.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 10 Aug 2008 16:12

Lots of anti-Madejski feeling is creeping in to posts - unjustified in my opinion.

Our least heralded and not inconsiderable investment has been the Academy at the club and it is time that this starts to bear fruit. I am confident that it will and the smiles will be back on people's faces. What do we have to lose by putting a few of the young players to the test?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Aug 2008 16:15

karacan to boss the midfield in midweek-but do we think even if he does that he will get in ahead of harps and cisse next week?
i dont, but i wish he could.

booooooo

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Aug 2008 17:47

Big Ern Todays perfomance only backs up the fact they we have been let down by the club again. We are four players short (5 if Harper leaves) of having a decent team and don't have a single player capable of putting a decent corss into the box Our 1 signing didn't even make the bench today, and that does nothing for my confidence about his prospects. Why did we spend money if he wasn't going to challenge for a first team spot?????

The sooner Madejski sells the club and fooks off the better.

Hmm...

Name me a better centre back in this divison than Bikey, and then 5 who are better than whoever you consider second choice (discounting Bikey).
Name me 3 better 'keepers than Marcus.
2 better RBs than Murty/Rosinor.
A better CM than Marek.
3 better CMs (excluding Marek) than Harper.
3 strikers better than Doyle.

I think Bikey, Marek, Marcus and Doyle are all the best players in their positions in the league, and Rosinor, Convey, Lita, Harper and "CB no. 2" would all be up there. Others may disagree with me, of course, but we definately have a "decent" team.

Have you never heard of back up? We have 2 players who have scored about 30 Premiership goals between them (I make it Doyle 19 and Lita 11?) and an Ireland international who has scored about 10 Premiership goals. Noel hasn't done anything like that. The only striker we possibly need is a big man to win headers, and those are harder to find. Back up will do nicely.

Players capable of putting in a decent cross: Murty, LR, Henry, Convey, Doyle. That's 5.