Who is the mystery LB

535 posts
UpNorth

Re: Who is the mystery LB

by UpNorth » 14 Aug 2008 18:46

Unfortunately Coppell's latest pronouncements on Reading World indicate he is seriously considering continuing with the Hunt 'experiment' and not investing in a new left back because 'they are so difficult to come by'. He has been very impressed with Hunt's performances.

One is left with the suspicion that there is little if any money to spend on new players.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 14 Aug 2008 19:42

It's becoming a complete farce. I wish they would turn round and state clearly that we aren't signing anyone, their isn't any money, the wage bill is too high and close the issue. Wouldn't surprise me to see Coppell sacked this season, if it all goes pear shaped in the first couple of months, Madjeski will have no hesitation in kicking him out. I'm starting to wish he was replaced in the summer.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 14 Aug 2008 19:51

I cant see Coppell being sacked as I think they would struggle to find a decent manager come to a club, who after 2 years of the Premiership and 2 years of Premiership money, are so fickle in the transfer market, most new managers want a guarantee on funds to spend on new players. We are not the best payers in the Championship and were not the best payers in the Premiership so the burning question has to be what is 2 years of Premiership and TV Premiership money being used for, other than the owners coffers ?? any answers to that would be much appreciated not only by me but the majority on here!

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Aug 2008 19:59

UpNorth Unfortunately Coppell's latest pronouncements on Reading World indicate he is seriously considering continuing with the Hunt 'experiment' and not investing in a new left back because 'they are so difficult to come by'. He has been very impressed with Hunt's performances.

One is left with the suspicion that there is little if any money to spend on new players.

If that's true then he should be buying in a left winger!

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 14 Aug 2008 20:09

This is all starting to really annoy me now, they have known that Shorey has been looking to leave for over a year now so they should have a plan/shortlist already in place. Plus playing one of your best players out of position as cover is ridiculous at this level, I know what will happen when Murty is fit is that he will play him at right back and move Rosenior to left back which will ruin any chance for Rosenior to show some form and get the crowd on his side.

I dont want to hear anymore spin from the club about signing someone, just go out their and sign a left back ffs.

The midfield is looking week so we really need Stephen Hunt in midfield and i thought i would never say that.

Y25

by Y25 » 14 Aug 2008 20:57

Hunt is not the LB answer - everyone knows it especially Hunt and Coppell

Give em a chance to sort it out

If nothing is doing after Aug 31st then let the backlash begin

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 14 Aug 2008 21:36

With all the "polls" on here maybe it's about time we had one for who believes the management and owner are doing all they can to return us to the premiership ?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Aug 2008 21:58

2.8 lita injection This is all starting to really annoy me now, they have known that Shorey has been looking to leave for over a year now so they should have a plan/shortlist already in place. Plus playing one of your best players out of position as cover is ridiculous at this level, I know what will happen when Murty is fit is that he will play him at right back and move Rosenior to left back which will ruin any chance for Rosenior to show some form and get the crowd on his side.

I dont want to hear anymore spin from the club about signing someone, just go out their and sign a left back ffs.

The midfield is looking week so we really need Stephen Hunt in midfield and i thought i would never say that.

Spot on. Shorey was going to West Ham a year ago...and only stayed because we could not find a replacement. Surely the club could have sourced a replacement by now. Playing Hunt as a makeshift left back seems a bit of a cop(pel) out to me...not that I want Steve out but for gods sake lets get a recognised left back replacement

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 14 Aug 2008 22:04

Y25

Agree. They should be given until the end of the transfer window to sort this out...however, if they don't then there will be uproar amongst the majoirty of fans and I expect the Madejski Out! chants to be very evident, and thoroughly deserved.

This might be the thing that makes the RTG's see through the constant lies and spin from the club.

Streets

by Streets » 14 Aug 2008 22:08

If we don't replace Shorey before the closing of the window, AND we struggle, boy is it going to kick the management in the teeth.

Serious serious lack of investment here, and I'm not convinced we can hold Coppell 100% accountable either. But he has to be man enough to say what he wants and make sure he gets it. He knows the money that has come through those doors better than anyone, and he too must be frustrated as to why he can't use it.

I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty much losing confidence in everyone at the club.

I still find it hard to accept that we missed out on a european place by one goal and didn't build on it. Now look at us, relegated and STILL not building on it, and money IS THERE.

Just fed up with it really. Hard to accept.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Aug 2008 22:13

Streets If we don't replace Shorey before the closing of the window, AND we struggle, boy is it going to kick the management in the teeth.

Serious serious lack of investment here, and I'm not convinced we can hold Coppell 100% accountable either. But he has to be man enough to say what he wants and make sure he gets it. He knows the money that has come through those doors better than anyone, and he too must be frustrated as to why he can't use it.

I still find it hard to accept that we missed out on a european place by one goal and didn't build on it. Now look at us, relegated and STILL not building on it, and money IS THERE.

Post of the day.

Completely agree.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 14 Aug 2008 22:22

Streets If we don't replace Shorey before the closing of the window, AND we struggle, boy is it going to kick the management in the teeth.

I am coppells biggest fan but i am starting to get fed up too, at the moment we have the foundations of something very good at this club, so the club need to build on it by investing in a few players and If they don't invest or react too slowly then we will slip away and the hard work over the last 5 years will be just memories, some good ones mind.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 15 Aug 2008 03:34

Surely having anyone at LB is better than nobody come Sept 1st? It might be time just to get someone in, admit he may not be the number 1 (or 2) choice but it will mean we have a recognised left back playing at well, left back.

Even if it is just a 3 month loan with absolutely no inclination of the signing becoming permanent. That gives three months of actually playing people in their rightful positions and time to find/secure the number 1 choice.

I'm ashamed to say it but we need S. Hunt in midfield, not is a makeshift position in the back four.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 15 Aug 2008 07:45

Getting fed up with this lack of ambition being shown here. The two performances so far have hardly given us anything to be confident about and now SC is saying that Hunt has done terrific and that now its a continuing experiment.

But lets not forget Scott Golbourne is raring to go as soon as he recovers from his pelvic injury...

The EP adds that talks over taking Arsenal's Kieran Gibbs on loan have stopped and the SC has rubbished reports of us signing Armstrong, Griffiths or Mattock.

Hope I'm very wrong but looks like this could be a very depressing season ahead as we achieve mid table nothingness.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Aug 2008 08:17

PEARCEY
2.8 lita injection This is all starting to really annoy me now, they have known that Shorey has been looking to leave for over a year now so they should have a plan/shortlist already in place. Plus playing one of your best players out of position as cover is ridiculous at this level, I know what will happen when Murty is fit is that he will play him at right back and move Rosenior to left back which will ruin any chance for Rosenior to show some form and get the crowd on his side.

Spot on. Shorey was going to West Ham a year ago...and only stayed because we could not find a replacement. Surely the club could have sourced a replacement by now. Playing Hunt as a makeshift left back seems a bit of a cop(pel) out to me...not that I want Steve out but for gods sake lets get a recognised left back replacement

To defend them slightly here, whatever market place they may have been looking whilst in the Premier League is going to a different one to where they would be looking now so after releagtion the chances are they were starting over again to a certain degree. Still no excuse though, the Shorey situation dragged on far too long and it was one of the few areas where we could have been more pro-active in sorting it.

Note that Golbourne is slated to return for the reserves next week.

Also agree with SOB that even if Hunt proves to be an outstanding left back , then we've still no cover for the left midfield berth.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Aug 2008 08:29

howser I cant see Coppell being sacked as I think they would struggle to find a decent manager come to a club, who after 2 years of the Premiership and 2 years of Premiership money, are so fickle in the transfer market, most new managers want a guarantee on funds to spend on new players. We are not the best payers in the Championship and were not the best payers in the Premiership so the burning question has to be what is 2 years of Premiership and TV Premiership money being used for, other than the owners coffers ?? any answers to that would be much appreciated not only by me but the majority on here!

Agree JM is always reluctant to sack managers, still have to pay them off as well as paying the replacement. If we're struggling after 10-12 games and by struggling i mean midtable or lower then Coppell will walk before JM sacks him anyway.

We may all have a downer on the club at the moment but don't believe for one minute that there wouldn't be a queue a mile long of managers wanting to work at an ex-Premiership club thats stable and with a chairman who always gives managers time and doesn't interfere with the playing side. From the outside looking in we're a terrificly run football club despite the seemingly aimless period we're going through at the moment.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 15 Aug 2008 08:32

I just saw the clip on Reading World and I'm pretty sure I detectged a sardonic smile on Coppell's face. He's well known for his dry sense of humour and (I hope) he was expressing it in the interview.

I'm a little bit annoyed (annoyed is probably too strond) by all those who will knock Coppell for every word that he speaks. Whatever people say about him, he's got a strong football brain and to read what some people say on here you'd thinbk he was deliberately trying to wreck our season. I believe we will get a LB in soon and maybe a RM. I still have faith that Coppell will do a good job this season and I hope I'm not disappointed!!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Aug 2008 08:45

Vision Also agree with SOB that even if Hunt proves to be an outstanding left back , then we've still no cover for the left midfield berth.

Jimmy Kebe :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Aug 2008 08:54

Big Ern
Y25

Agree. They should be given until the end of the transfer window to sort this out...however, if they don't then there will be uproar amongst the majoirty of fans and I expect the Madejski Out! chants to be very evident, and thoroughly deserved.

This might be the thing that makes the RTG's see through the constant lies and spin from the club.

Why?

Surely it's Coppell who's refused to address the left back situation isn't it?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 15 Aug 2008 09:06

I know it's no excuse not to have anyone by now, but I'm fairly sure they have been looking, it's just that things haven't gone that smoothly what with one thing and another.

535 posts