Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: I am officially bored of...

by Alan Partridge » 15 Aug 2008 12:52

winchester_royal
Platypuss
winchester_royal Some people seem to forget that it was Madejski who saved us from being merged with Oxford.

Forgetful idiots! :?

Re-writing history doesn't improve your argument any.

How have I re-written history?

Because Roger Smee was chairman when the suposed merger was going to happen.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Aug 2008 12:53

winchester_royal The complete lack of respect towards the management that some of the so called 'fans' are showing.

Some people seem to forget that it was Madejski who saved us from being merged with Oxford.

When did he do that then?

I don't get the criticism of JM though. As SKDD says, he can't make the manager buy players. Yes he might be a little tight with the purse strings, and I've been pretty vocal in my thoughts on how much we spent and on what over the past couple of years, but all the indications are that Coppell has had enough money to spend, he just won't do it.

Hammond and the scouting team have to bear some brunt of the blame. Some of the players we've bought in just haven't been up to it and we have to assume that they've recommended them. They've als unearthed a few gems along the way though.

Ulitmately the buck stops with the manager. He is the one who has the final say on players coming in and out and he is perfectly capable of guiding his scouts to the players he wants and any manager worth their salts will check out a player for themselves and do their own scouting over and above the souting teams own efforts.

It looks like thats not happening and Coppell is just running away from having to replace the players who performed for him in the past. This is exactly my fears at the end of last season when we were told that he'd learned from his mistakes.....you could've fooled me!!!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 15 Aug 2008 12:57

winchester_royal
Geekins Madejski has taken us as far as he wants. Thanks for saving us and all the good fond memories, but now we need someone to take us on.

That may be true, but it is the lack of respect for what he has done for this club which appalls me.

Lack of respect :lol:

You really are a short sighted moron.

Madejski has one agenda with the club and that is to make money from it and use it to raise his public profile.

This is essentially what Madejski has done

1) Lends club money to build shiney new stadium and excellent facilities therefore increases the assett value of the club considerably.

2) Uses almost all the Sky and Premiership revenue to repay loans to himself

3) Hey presto, Madejski owns a club with large assetts and has recovered the money he used to build it. So he has basically vastly increased the value of this assett and it has cost him nothing so when he comes to sell it he gets a nice profit as well as the added benefit of raising his profile and creating a legacy.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Aug 2008 12:59

winchester_royal
Platypuss
winchester_royal Some people seem to forget that it was Madejski who saved us from being merged with Oxford.

Forgetful idiots! :?

Re-writing history doesn't improve your argument any.

How have I re-written history?

The Oxford/Reading merger attempt under Robert Maxwell was in 1983. Madejski became Reading chairman in 1990.

It is indeed strange how some people forget Madejski's input. :|

Were you even born in 1983?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Aug 2008 13:03

Big Ern
winchester_royal
Geekins Madejski has taken us as far as he wants. Thanks for saving us and all the good fond memories, but now we need someone to take us on.

That may be true, but it is the lack of respect for what he has done for this club which appalls me.

Madejski has one agenda with the club and that is to make money from it and use it to raise his public profile.

1) Lends club money to build shiney new stadium and excellent facilities therefore increases the assett value of the club considerably.

3) Hey presto, Madejski owns a club with large assetts and has recovered the money he used to build it. So he has basically vastly increased the value of this assett and it has cost him nothing so when he comes to sell it he gets a nice profit as well as the added benefit of raising his profile and creating a legacy.

Or the shorter version he takes over a ramshackle football club with absolutely no future at all. Takes it to places the fans could only dream of and leaves it in a healthier financial state than most in the country whilst making a few bob himself.

i agree hang the oxf*rd.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2008 13:05

Platypuss The Oxford/Reading merger attempt under Robert Maxwell was in 1983. Madejski became Reading chairman in 1990.

I apologise for my incorrect statement, but I do know that he saved the club from financial ruin.

And no I wasn't, although I fail to see what significance my age has.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Aug 2008 13:07

winchester_royal Things aint that bad....trust me.

Were not the likes of you assuring us much the same thing about 6 months ago? :roll:

Streets

by Streets » 15 Aug 2008 13:08

Big Ern ....John Madejski, Steve Coppell and Nicky Hammond.

Please do the club and supporters a favour a fook off.

SIGNED

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 15 Aug 2008 13:08

winchester_royal
Platypuss The Oxford/Reading merger attempt under Robert Maxwell was in 1983. Madejski became Reading chairman in 1990.

I apologise for my incorrect statement, but I do know that he saved the club from financial ruin.

I think you've just shown that it's a little bit significant by getting the facts totally wrong. I don't think anyone can question whether Madejski has taken this club forward from when he bought it, it's totally unrecognisable. The real problem here is this is all specualtion as i made the point earlier, none of us here really know where the blame lies, again OK it's not going to be 1 person's fault, but there must be someone stopping potential players coming here. Thats why opinions are differing with each post.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2008 13:10

Big Ern
winchester_royal

What more do you expect from a businessman who had no interest in football before taking control of the club?

He has made the club into a money maker, which hopefully means we will not follow in the steps of Luton and Bournemouth.

He has taken us up to the prem from Division 3, and supplied the funds for Coppell to keep us there, which SC didn't use. Coppell was wrong, but eberyone makes mistakes.

You appear to be a forgetful, negative, self-absorbed, fair-weathered pr*ck, and the club would be better off without having you as a fan, so kindly sod off and go support Aldershot.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2008 13:10

floyd__streete
winchester_royal Things aint that bad....trust me.

Were not the likes of you assuring us much the same thing about 6 months ago? :roll:

Actually I was more of an STG last season.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 15 Aug 2008 13:11

winchester_royal

The only significance being that if you had actually been around in 1983 you wouldn't have forgotten!
Don't worry about the small matter of seven or so years - plenty of others have made the same mistake and I am sure many others still will.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Aug 2008 13:12

Hoop Blah
winchester_royal The complete lack of respect towards the management that some of the so called 'fans' are showing.

Some people seem to forget that it was Madejski who saved us from being merged with Oxford.

When did he do that then?

I don't get the criticism of JM though. As SKDD says, he can't make the manager buy players. Yes he might be a little tight with the purse strings, and I've been pretty vocal in my thoughts on how much we spent and on what over the past couple of years, but all the indications are that Coppell has had enough money to spend, he just won't do it.

Hammond and the scouting team have to bear some brunt of the blame. Some of the players we've bought in just haven't been up to it and we have to assume that they've recommended them. They've als unearthed a few gems along the way though.

Ulitmately the buck stops with the manager. He is the one who has the final say on players coming in and out and he is perfectly capable of guiding his scouts to the players he wants and any manager worth their salts will check out a player for themselves and do their own scouting over and above the souting teams own efforts.

It looks like thats not happening and Coppell is just running away from having to replace the players who performed for him in the past. This is exactly my fears at the end of last season when we were told that he'd learned from his mistakes.....you could've fooled me!!!

Amongst all the over the top ranting and raving that makes the most sense to me.

One thing i will say though is that Its a calculated gamble from Coppell who genuinely believes its our best chance of promotion this season (his last probably). He could quite easily have gone the other way and dismantle the whole side and bring in a raft of players who will be inferior on paper at least to the ones he let go. A whole raft of new players on new contracts that if he fails , any new manager is stuck with.

Coppell will walk before Christmas anyway if we're not in or around the play-off places. At least this way any new guy will still have the transfer kitty and a final season of parachute payments with which to build a new team.

I personally think he's got it wrong but i don't see it as a mistake thats gonna kill us as some of the massive overreaction on here seems to suggest.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 15 Aug 2008 13:15

I'll tell you what most people are officially bored of....

1) HobNob

2) The same tedious drivel spouted by the remaining 46 sad 'negatives' that bother
to write rubbish on this board. It's the same stuff.....it's boring.
There are the equivalent of about a coachload of negative, miserable know-alls
whose only intention is to slag off Reading Football Club in some way, shape or form.
Why don't all you sad folks start your own little anti-RFC website and then you
can write to each other until your heart's content.
You could organise little anti-RFC marches, and toodle off down to watch Maidenhead
play.
Why don't you create a breakaway anti-RFC club, and you could have membership, and annual
fund-raising domino evenings. Maybe even a weeks pre-season anti-RFC holiday in Hastings.

And let me take a wild guess at what the response will be too this !!!!
1) The chairman is in it for the cash
2) Hammond has to go
3) Coppell has lost the plot
etc etc boring etc etc boring boring etc etc

Here's a novel idea.....if you don't like it...DON'T GO.

And relax.......

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2008 13:17

Barney I'll tell you what most people are officially bored of....

1) HobNob

2) The same tedious drivel spouted by the remaining 46 sad 'negatives' that bother
There are the equivalent of about a coachload of negative, miserable know-alls
whose only intention is to slag off Reading Football Club in some way, shape or form.
Why don't all you sad folks start your own little anti-RFC website and then you
can write to each other until your heart's content.
You could organise little anti-RFC marches, and toodle off down to watch Maidenhead
play.
Why don't you create a breakaway anti-RFC club, and you could have membership, and annual
fund-raising domino evenings. Maybe even a weeks pre-season anti-RFC holiday in Hastings.

And let me take a wild guess at what the response will be too this !!!!
1) The chairman is in it for the cash
2) Hammond has to go
3) Coppell has lost the plot
etc etc boring etc etc boring boring etc etc

Here's a novel idea.....if you don't like it...DON'T GO.

And relax.......

Post of the day.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 15 Aug 2008 13:17

Everyone is entitled to an opinion Barney, no matter how insane it is. That's the whoe point of having a forum.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 15 Aug 2008 13:21

1) HobNob

Here's a novel idea.....if you don't like it...DON'T GO

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Aug 2008 13:23

winchester_royal

1) HobNob

What were you expecting after relegation and a summer where we brought in £9 million in transfer fees....and spent 600k on one new player? A bouquet of flowers? An Esther Rantzen Heart of Gold?

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 15 Aug 2008 13:29

I dont think there is any chance of the fans not getting behind the team tomorrow, what a lot, or most on here, are getting terminally frustrated about is the continual inference for the last two years now that the club is going to buy a player, in all honesty after reading that now Shorey has gone then a left back is the priority, we should have realised that it was another comment full of misleading words. We have made little or no effort to retain our Premiership position, Marek apart, we have bought second rate players from second rate teams, and are now playing second rate football, you truly get what you pay for.

We had the marvellous opportunity at the end of our first Premiership season, finishing eighth &just one goal away from a european place to move forward, but no we have steadilly over the past year moved backwards, the brick-by-brick foundation stone of the owners ambition, being dismantled, a lot quicker than it was built. His constant qoute about the promotion to the top league being "the first time" has quenched his egocentric desires to be hailed the saviour of the club, the Oxford thing and all that, and now he has achieved that he can walk away, confident in the fact that he has done what he set out to, we all remember him saying about getting Reading to the Premiership, but I cant remember any comments about keeping us there though.

The much praised "Coppell Please Stay" demonstration at the end of last season, whilst initially loyal, may now be proving to be slightly too loyal, just as keeping under performing players in the side last season proved to be. We have climbed a mountain over the past two years and achieved more than any of us "long term" supporters could ever have imagined, but now we are being let down badly by a management that is seemingly not interested in a premiership return, we have made millions over the past two seasons and regretably it is not seen as worthwhile to invest it in new players, in a strange way I feel pleased we are not in the top league as we would certainly not be matching the likes of Fulham etc in attempting to put a stronger squad together.

I think for a lot of fans the Stephen Hunt left back thing is the last straw, we need Hunt in the midfield, we need a new left back, we need a right sided midfielder and its begining to look as though none of that is going to happen, it might be an idea to " go with what we have" for the time being that should ensure Championship football next season !

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 15 Aug 2008 13:36

You've got to wonder really, under what circumstances does 'support' have to waver for Madejski. What WR says is mostly correct, but at what point do you say that's not good enough anymore?

I'd say a flirt with Europe was a step too far JM and every since it's been downhill.

So we'll accept mid-table in the Prem, heck the lower reaches, just above 18th. Damn, that didn't happen. Damn you Fulham for daring to win games!

OK, who forgot to use the transfer window?

OK, we'll strive to get up at the next attempt and show complete willingness to enjoy the limelight again and set our stall out early, get a few names in to get bums on seats. Damn, missed that boat.

OK, we'll put some statement of intent out, that we're actively using the kids to further our commitment to the academy. Damn, Steve - didn't you use Karacan? "Forgot. But I'll learn from my mistakes and not be so loyal to the players."

Damn, where did that summer go? Just one signing? No footballers on the entire planet are better than what we have...okaaaay.

We knew Shorey wanted to leave 12 months ago. Damn, who's our scout again?

Just WHAT is the message we are supposed to be getting from the board? Steve may not want to sign anyone, but seriously, can you really FORGIVE Madejski for not wanting progression? Surely, even he with the football knowledge he's got would intimate that "the money is here, Steve..." Either way, if Steve doesn't want to sign anyone, or Madejski says we've not got the money - something is seriously, seriously fubar'd.

130 posts