527 posts
Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Madejski's comments to BBC Radio Berkshire

by Southbank Old Boy » 18 Aug 2008 19:51

Stranded
Gordons Cumming
howser but we as fans invest,.

We don't invest..............we pay to be entertained................we pay for merchandise................but invest?

I don't think so.

I agree. Whether you like it or not, we as fans, pay £425 to watch 23 games of football - that's it, no more, no less.

Yes we invest a lot of time in our clubs and may well put more money into the club by purchasing shirts etc, but that is our choice and we get something in return - either 90mins of football or a shirt/scarf.

If you don't agree with what the club or those running at are doing then the only way you can really impact that is by making the decision not to go.

But any organisation worth it's salt that has such a close relationship to it's consumers should look after then and keep them pretty well informed of product delevopment, company solvancy, take on board their requests for improvements etc etc

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Aug 2008 19:55

Stranded
Gordons Cumming
howser but we as fans invest,.

We don't invest..............we pay to be entertained................we pay for merchandise................but invest?

I don't think so.

I agree. Whether you like it or not, we as fans, pay £425 to watch 23 games of football - that's it, no more, no less.

Yes we invest a lot of time in our clubs and may well put more money into the club by purchasing shirts etc, but that is our choice and we get something in return - either 90mins of football or a shirt/scarf.

If you don't agree with what the club or those running at are doing then the only way you can really impact that is by making the decision not to go.
Having said that, if you pay your £425 up front, you have a certain expectation that it will be spent on your entertainment. Obviously, I'm less skeptical of JM's financial assessment than many, but those who have spent are still entitled to know that their money is being used appropriately. Thus, I have agreed with howser on one thing. The club needs to get its message sorted out and be more transparent.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2008 20:18

But it's the great intangible though isn't it. Once you put your money in you are giving them the OK to use than money as they see fit. It can be used as currently and I could end up having a thoroughly entertaining season - they could use our money collectively to purchase a few players and we could end up witnessing a thoroughly miserable season.

We may think that spending an extra bit here and there on players will ensure the former or make it more likely but as we all know, things don't always work like that.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Aug 2008 20:48

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY I just wish that Egomaniac did not broad brush his statements about players wages - if he is referring to Lampards abhooresnt £150k a week fair enough - if he's talking about Championship level players earning £20k a week plus - dont think so!

any championship player on £20k a week is hideously overpaid. The average is supposed to be more like £4k a week.

And if you are saying that championship players aren't overpaid, take a look at the ticket prices we have to pay and see if you can see some sort of correlation between the two.

So how come Doyle is on £24k a wage he commanded before promotion to the premier league??

Doyle got his pay put up to that level in Jan 2007 when several clubs were sniffing around and he signed a new deal. He wasn't on anywhere near that when we got promoted, nor was anyone else at Reading.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 18 Aug 2008 20:52

Stranded But it's the great intangible though isn't it. Once you put your money in you are giving them the OK to use than money as they see fit. It can be used as currently and I could end up having a thoroughly entertaining season - they could use our money collectively to purchase a few players and we could end up witnessing a thoroughly miserable season.

We may think that spending an extra bit here and there on players will ensure the former or make it more likely but as we all know, things don't always work like that.

Think part of the problem here is that no one knows how the income is being spent.

Sky money, parachute payment, season ticket sales, money fron Kitson and Shorey etc etc mounts up to a sizable sum over the last year. If it is all being (or been) spent with the focus of trying to progress Redaing as a team - fine. If its been spent in part to repay JM - so be it. If its been spent building the hotel I, for one, would be pretty p*ssed off

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Aug 2008 20:57

Northern Git
Stranded But it's the great intangible though isn't it. Once you put your money in you are giving them the OK to use than money as they see fit. It can be used as currently and I could end up having a thoroughly entertaining season - they could use our money collectively to purchase a few players and we could end up witnessing a thoroughly miserable season.

Think part of the problem here is that no one knows how the income is being spent.

Sky money, parachute payment, season ticket sales, money fron Kitson and Shorey etc etc mounts up to a sizable sum over the last year. If it is all being (or been) spent with the focus of trying to progress Redaing as a team - fine. If its been spent in part to repay JM - so be it. If its been spent building the hotel I, for one, would be pretty p*ssed off

We've had Hammond saying we ar going bring players in. We've even had Nigel Howe talking about bringing players in. I think it's safe to say we are trying to bring players in. I think Madejski's comments are merely about playing down how much money to spend, plus also a bit of setting things straight about the idea that we are rich and are sitting on a pot of money. I don't think for a minute we are skint, but given that we'd get even less parachute money if we don't get up, gambling all the money we have on an instant return would be rather risky.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 18 Aug 2008 20:58

I don't think anybody thinks we have alot left to spend. How legitimate are our bids on players though?? Normally we don't pay anywhere near enough

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Aug 2008 21:02

kwik-silva I don't think anybody thinks we have alot left to spend. How legitimate are our bids on players though?? Normally we don't pay anywhere near enough

How do you know we don't bid enough? How often do you hear about us having bids turned down?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 18 Aug 2008 21:08

kwik-silva I don't think anybody thinks we have alot left to spend. How legitimate are our bids on players though?? Normally we don't pay anywhere near enough

How do you know we don't bid enough? How often do you hear about us having bids turned down?

fair point..

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Aug 2008 21:11

I remember having this conversation about the hotel expansion when it was being built. We've never, as far as I'm aware, seen where that money came from - as I believe the hotel is part of Madejski holdings or something - Northern Git knows more than I do about that. As people have said, if Mr Mad wants to take his loans back, that's fine and he's entitled too, but a little more transparency and truth would be far better than spouting bullsh!t. We're entitled to know where all the money has gone and, bearing in mind we would have received the money for second year in the Prem, plus 8th, at the end of LAST season - I, for one, would be very interested to know why that's all gone, considering we reduced the wage bill by a fair chunk.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Aug 2008 21:17

I do think we do have the right to be given a single, coherent message from the management at RFC.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 18 Aug 2008 21:36

Platypuss I do think we do have the right to be given a single, coherent message from the management at RFC.

unlikely :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Aug 2008 23:07

kwik-silva I don't think anybody thinks we have alot left to spend.

Many think we SHOULD have though.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 19 Aug 2008 09:03

Royal Lady We're entitled to know where all the money has gone

No we're not. We are just customers not shareholders.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 19 Aug 2008 09:14

Actually, if you are a STAR member you are also a (very minority) shareholder.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 19 Aug 2008 09:34

Just one point-has anybody seen any evidence of money being spent on the stadium or was it a case of new knives and forks or the like in the Corporate area?
The concourse and the gents looked pretty much the same to me and did I miss a new tier on the East Stand?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 19 Aug 2008 09:37

BR2 Just one point-has anybody seen any evidence of money being spent on the stadium or was it a case of new knives and forks or the like in the Corporate area?
The concourse and the gents looked pretty much the same to me and did I miss a new tier on the East Stand?

They had painted the dug outs a nice shade of green :oops:

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 19 Aug 2008 09:42

BR2 Just one point-has anybody seen any evidence of money being spent on the stadium or was it a case of new knives and forks or the like in the Corporate area?

All of the hospitality areas and executive boxes were refurbished last year. Plus there was the addition of the Premier Suite, in the SW corner, where RFC offices were, now of course housed in the bottom two floors of the media centre. The megastore has been increased in size and revamped too.

I did notice some new circular stickers in the gents.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 19 Aug 2008 10:18

Media CentROFLe

a much needed upgrade of the Media and press area so everyone from the Barnsley Echo will have ample room.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 19 Aug 2008 10:48

Dont forget the new 'Beware of flying footballs' signs along the front of the East stand :lol:

527 posts