944 posts
rotherwick_royal

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by rotherwick_royal » 20 Aug 2008 11:47

kwik-silva
brendywendy played a blinder on saturday
midfield was much much improved from the forest display against a midfield 5
what are you on about

Are you talking about Harper? :? A blinder is a bit of an over exaggeration. I mean, he played two passes and (tried to) tackle someone

Yeh but those two passes were quality :wink:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Aug 2008 11:48

i think you are undercounting his contributions
but i agree blinder is a little much

was man of the match in several papers, and was a vast improvement on the invisible man act he put in at forest

there hows that?

chandog

by chandog » 20 Aug 2008 12:13

brendywendy i think you are undercounting his contributions
but i agree blinder is a little much

was man of the match in several papers, and was a vast improvement on the invisible man act he put in at forest

there hows that?

much better
don't agree with him being man of the match though - should have been kebe
the effort he puts in for the team every match is priceless and if we lose him it will be almost impossible to replace him

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 20 Aug 2008 12:23

it was an improvement over the forest game, that could be said about everyone though!he made numerous tackles,because i remember thinking about all the comments on here saying he does not tackle!he is the heartbeat of this team and we will not go up if he leaves, thats how strongly i feel on this matter!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Aug 2008 12:40

Drew_3 it was an improvement over the forest game, that could be said about everyone though!he made numerous tackles,because i remember thinking about all the comments on here saying he does not tackle!he is the heartbeat of this team and we will not go up if he leaves, thats how strongly i feel on this matter!

hes been tackling loads more all preseason as well-obviously hes taken the comments to heart and has pinpointed that this is an area where we and he need to improve

was impressed with cisse too in the game-looked much stronger and composed
i dont know what happened to him after the chelsea game -where he looked pretty awesome in teh middle-think that daft sending off affected his confidence in there

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 20 Aug 2008 13:55

my friend Rob tells anyone that will listen that he lives on that estate in Shinfield where all the Reading footballers live.......with Little gone to Pompey, Kitson to Stoke and Shorey to Villa - if Harps goes to 'borough who knows how he's gonna big the estate up!!!!

:D :D

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 20 Aug 2008 15:50

Yes Kitson had his house tucked away in the corner! and I cant see Little wanting to move - hardly needing to uproot for Pompey and Im sure he would miss the close proximity of the Lower Earley McDonalds where he has been spotted loads

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Aug 2008 21:10

Just to throw something else into the Harper is great mixer.

After Plymouth 3 years ago I left the game dissapointed but relatively happy. I said to they guy I'd watched the game with something along the lines of: "I'm actually fairly confident, we may have lost, but Harper was putting in a few tackles so we must be in for a good season"

This season I've seen him get stuck in to tackles more than he used to in both games. I still think he had a decent game against Forest, if mainly defensively and he improved on that to good if not better against Plymouth.

I agree with Drew. If he goes we'll have an up and down season and finish on the edge of the play offs at best, unless we do really really well with a replacement. To be honest, Harper would be my first midfielder on the team sheet and captain replacement for Murty when he retires. AND thats despite really liking Matejovsky as a player and have high high hopes for Karacan.

Streets

by Streets » 20 Aug 2008 21:37

Ian Royal Just to throw something else into the Harper is great mixer.

After Plymouth 3 years ago I left the game dissapointed but relatively happy. I said to they guy I'd watched the game with something along the lines of: "I'm actually fairly confident, we may have lost, but Harper was putting in a few tackles so we must be in for a good season"

This season I've seen him get stuck in to tackles more than he used to in both games. I still think he had a decent game against Forest, if mainly defensively and he improved on that to good if not better against Plymouth.

I agree with Drew. If he goes we'll have an up and down season and finish on the edge of the play offs at best, unless we do really really well with a replacement. To be honest, Harper would be my first midfielder on the team sheet and captain replacement for Murty when he retires. AND thats despite really liking Matejovsky as a player and have high high hopes for Karacan.

Absolutely spot on mate!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Aug 2008 21:44

Wow, I actually agree with something Ian Royal writes. Harper has the best attitude at the club, he's a nice guy and an honest pro. At times I have been critical of him, but his passion for an RFC shirt cannot be questioned by anyone. There is absolutely no one to rival him being made captain.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 21 Aug 2008 08:22

agree. Harps is the captain in waiting, just becasue you don't see him shout and hola does not mean he doesn't communicate, ingi said as much himself last week.i have to say alot of the pictures you see of Harps he is trying to get something over to another player.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 21 Aug 2008 08:24

Harper is a leader and leads by example and would be a big loss if he is to move on imo.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2008 21:23

:shock: 4 posts and everyone is agreeing with me. That must be a first! Especially with Finerain and Jay being involved.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 21 Aug 2008 21:56

I put Harper with Doyle - dont want them to leave, but if we get a good price for them we can survive without them. Just would rather not have too...

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 22 Aug 2008 08:18

Yorkshire Royal I put Harper with Doyle - dont want them to leave, but if we get a good price for them we can survive without them. Just would rather not have too...

thats about all we will do without them!!!!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 22 Aug 2008 08:38

Bolton are ready to make an official £4m for Fulham midfielder Jimmy Bullard after scrapping a move for Reading's James Harper. (Daily Star)

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 22 Aug 2008 09:13

rg6royal Bolton are ready to make an official £4m for Fulham midfielder Jimmy Bullard after scrapping a move for Reading's James Harper. (Daily Star)

I'm surprised more teams aren't interested in Bullard. I reckon he could do a job for pretty much anyone outside the big 4.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Aug 2008 10:42

Bill Oddie's Beard
rg6royal Bolton are ready to make an official £4m for Fulham midfielder Jimmy Bullard after scrapping a move for Reading's James Harper. (Daily Star)

I'm surprised more teams aren't interested in Bullard. I reckon he could do a job for pretty much anyone outside the big 4.

I'd be very surprised if any Prem team would prefer to have Harper over Bullard for the same money.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 22 Aug 2008 11:24

There was always the chance of Fulham being involved-if Bullard does leave watch this space.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 24 Aug 2008 14:16

How is harper rated as being priced the same if not more than bullard??

944 posts