Pardew predicting tough test

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Pardew predicting tough test

by readingbedding » 22 Aug 2008 00:14

From the CAFC website.

After an opening-day win over Swansea City two weeks ago, Pardew has since seen his side lose to Yeovil Town, in the Carling Cup, and Watford, in the league, and a meeting with the recently-relegated Royals promises to be a tricky fixture for the Addicks.

Reading, led by Pardew's former Crystal Palace manager Steve Coppell, have seen the likes of Nicky Shorey and Dave Kitson depart the Madejski Stadium over the summer.

However, Pardew believes the Royals still have the nucleus of an excellent team, as he told the official website: "There will be two high-tempo sides on show and I think it will make for a good spectacle. We both play very similar games and hopefully we'll come out victors.

"But I don't think we'll cancel each other out, I think it will be opposite and it will be a good game.

"They have some great players, such as Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt, James Harper and Marcus Hahnemann and I think they're going to go close to promotion. So if we finish above them we'll be in a great position.

"They weren't as established as us when we went down so I don't think they carry the same financial burden. I think they've protected themselves to some degree so they're almost attacking the division with the same side they had last year. If you can do that it gives you the best possible chance to bounce back."

After two caretaker spells in charge of the Royals, Pardew was appointed as the club's full-time manager in October 1999.

He took the Berkshire outfit to the Second Division Play-Off Final in 2001, only to lose 3-2 to Walsall after extra-time.

But the following year he led Reading to promotion and then guided them to fourth in the First Division, only to taste defeat in the play-offs once again.

His reputation as one of the game's best up-and-coming young managers prompted West Ham United to move for him in September 2003, a switch that didn't go down well with Reading supporters.

"Reading is my old club, the manager is my ex-manager and I still have some old friends there," said Pardew. "The fans aren't too keen on me after I left for West Ham but I have the utmost respect for them as a club.

"As a manager there I learnt it's important to have a clear vision of what you want to achieve at a club, how to manage a club financially and also making sure you guide your players the right way. I had a lot of young players there at the time that have gone on to have fantastic careers. Hopefully we can do that here at Charlton."

Pardew was part of Coppell's Palace side which reached the FA Cup final in 1990, the Eagles eventually losing 1-0 to Manchester United in a replay at Wembley.

And the Addicks boss admits he learnt a lot under Coppell's regime at Selhurst Park, stating: "Outwardly Steve doesn't appear too enthusiastic but once he's in the dressing room he comes alive and he demands a certain attacking style of play. He's never one to be too negative and his results stand up to that."

In terms of team news, Pardew will be without the suspended Kelly Youga for the date with Reading, but the Addicks chief is expecting Grant Basey to be declared fit after a hamstring problem ruled him out of the Wales U21 game with Romania in midweek.

And, despite a metatarsal injury ruling Therry Racon out for three months, Pardew insists he won't be making any moves to bring another midfielder to The Valley, with a defensive recruitment remaining his priority.

He said: "Therry is out for at least two or three months but I don't think we need to bring in another midfielder. We've got Matty Holland, we've got Jonjo Shelvey, we've got Nicky Bailey now, and we've got Josh Wright and Jose Semedo.

"I don't think any [defenders] will come in before the weekend but we've got one or two things going on and hopefully they'll come to fruition next week."

Pardew is still expecting Zheng Zhi to depart SE7 before the transfer window closes. The China international is now back at Sparrows Lane after his Olympic Games exploits but will play no part against Reading.

"ZiZi is back and he'll train on Friday," said Pardew. "He's looking well but I won't consider him for Saturday as he's had a long summer of games. There are some goings on with him transfer wise and his future here is still in doubt."

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pardew predicting tough test

by PlasticRoyale » 22 Aug 2008 01:41

Pardew is a winker
He wears a winker's hat
He used to be a Royal
But know he's a flippin' twit....

Streets

by Streets » 22 Aug 2008 02:00

A nice win for us will see the pressure really building up on Pardew's shoulders.

Oh I hope we win!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 22 Aug 2008 07:30

readingbedding [ We've got Matty Holland, we've got Jonjo Shelvey, we've got Nicky Bailey now, and we've got Josh Wright and Jose Semedo.

Have only heard of one of those, clear sign how far charlton have fallen. Shame, quite liked them when they were up in the prem, can't see them getting there this season to be honest.

Also on a similar note, while I still dislike pardew for going to west ham, I was reminiscing on some good times and some great nights with him as manager, good memories that I won't forget. His stupid little dance at wycombe away when we won 2-0 for one,lol.

Of all the clubs he left us for, it had to be west ham. One of the most arrogant set of unpleasant supporters in England, literally ANYONE else and I wouldn't have been bothered. Oh well, history is history as they say.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 22 Aug 2008 09:03

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 22 Aug 2008 09:11

FiNeRaIn Also on a similar note, while I still dislike pardew for going to west ham, I was reminiscing on some good times and some great nights with him as manager, good memories that I won't forget. His stupid little dance at wycombe away when we won 2-0 for one,lol.

Agreed - and him kicking the advertiosing board at Ipswich and breaking his foot :lol:

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 22 Aug 2008 09:25

I suppose expected, but never really understood the continual slating of Pardew, he done well for us here and was instrumental in getting us where we have been the last few years, isnt it about time to give it a rest now ?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 22 Aug 2008 09:26

"Pardew Predicting Tough Test"

Has any manager in history ever told his club's website that the forthcoming game will be a piece of pi55?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 22 Aug 2008 09:34

Schards#2
Has any manager in history ever told his club's website that the forthcoming game will be a piece of pi55?

lol- agreed. Same old drivel.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 22 Aug 2008 09:48

howser I suppose expected, but never really understood the continual slating of Pardew, he done well for us here and was instrumental in getting us where we have been the last few years, isnt it about time to give it a rest now ?

No, traitors never deserve any forgiveness.

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 22 Aug 2008 10:04

Oh, come on. He's just a pantomime villain now. No matter how much stick we've given him he's never given us any back.

Unlike that FSB McGhee.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Aug 2008 10:16

Schards#2 "Pardew Predicting Tough Test"

Kevin Dillon before we played Coventry a few years ago, we lost 2-1. :mrgreen:

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 22 Aug 2008 10:29

These days Pardew sounds like a man with his teeth pulled, all pretensions of being a top Manager have gone.

Cant really dislike the man.

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 22 Aug 2008 12:50

Alan Partridge

Idiots!

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 22 Aug 2008 12:58

Alan Partridge

:lol: And before last season's finale at Pride Park.

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 22 Aug 2008 18:28

Any football interview anywhere about any subject will encounter some pointless obvious remark like you have mentioned.

My advice is get over it.

OzBiscuit2004
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by OzBiscuit2004 » 22 Aug 2008 18:31

ellpryjon
Alan Partridge

Idiots!

Post of the day!

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 22 Aug 2008 18:41

howser I suppose expected, but never really understood the continual slating of Pardew, he done well for us here and was instrumental in getting us where we have been the last few years, isnt it about time to give it a rest now ?

Agree with the above mate, weve moved on, hes moved on. IMO, I think the slating is a bit off a laugh but I dont feel as much hatred for him as I used to do.

So, will he get a tough ride tomorow, or will everything be forgotten?

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 22 Aug 2008 19:37

To be honest I hated the way he left but am totally over it. Dont let the way he left overshadow the great job he did for us.

If you are not over it by now, then have a look at yourself. God forbid that we might actually wish him well...

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 22 Aug 2008 20:43

Spacey has yet to forgive the Romans never mind Pardew.