Penalties

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Penalties

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 Aug 2008 16:50

'greed it took a lot of balls to take the second penalty, but i don't agree it was a good second one.

I'll wait to see it again as he may have waited for the keeper to move, but it was a lovelly height for a keeper to save, not hit that hard and not far into the corner. It was a 50/50 penalty, which if the keeper had gone the right way he would've easily kept out. If he waited for him to move first then fair play, he tucked it away confidently.

I'm 100% of the opinion that the best penalty taker should take the penalty. This agreement with Doyle is rubbish. If Hunt is better at penalties, which you'd assume they think he is if he is the nominated taker, he should take them all until such time the responsibilty falls on someone else or he doesn't want one in a game because of form or injury etc.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 23 Aug 2008 17:00

Having watched him up here Noel Hunt, if he is in the team, is a reliable pen man, took for Dundee never saw him miss.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 23 Aug 2008 17:03

howser Having watched him up here Noel Hunt, if he is in the team, is a reliable pen man, took for Dundee never saw him miss.

mooney scored a load for Cork aswell if he ever gets a game....

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 Aug 2008 17:05

juanpablo
howser Having watched him up here Noel Hunt, if he is in the team, is a reliable pen man, took for Dundee never saw him miss.

Doyle used to score a lot of pens for Cork too

It's all about confidence and being mentally right and able to take them

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 23 Aug 2008 17:11

Southbank Old Boy
juanpablo

Doyle used to score a lot of pens for Cork too

It's all about confidence and being mentally right and able to take them

really? Didnt know that.....

He picked up the ball so must have been confident, but then like you suggest clearly wasnt in the right frame of mind. Its a difficult one i remember Gascoigne used to give up his penaltys to strikers so they could get confidence knocking one in.... Doyle could have really turned himself round scoring today

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 23 Aug 2008 17:14

juanpablo
really? Didnt know that.....

He picked up the ball so must have been confident, but then like you suggest clearly wasnt in the right frame of mind. Its a difficult one i remember Gascoigne used to give up his penaltys to strikers so they could get confidence knocking one in.... Doyle could have really turned himself round scoring today

I guess that's why he took it - to get on the score sheet, but sadly if you're low on confidence you're likely to hit it and hope rather than hit it confidently.

madrfc
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by madrfc » 23 Aug 2008 17:15

royalexile Marcus, the way he kicks a ball straight it will easily slot into the top corner every time.

I would also like to Marcus have a shot!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Aug 2008 17:22

juanpablo 95 percent sure Doyle would miss
95 percent sure Hunt would miss

really didnt know who i would rather take the pen .... maybe Harper?

I'd get Lita to take them. He is arrogant & has very high levels of self-belief and that counts for an awful lot when it comes to the pressured situation of taking a penalty.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 23 Aug 2008 21:30

S Hunt Penalty, Saved , Retake, Goal.
I can't see what was wrong with the original penalty, Weaver moves abit but not enough for a retake.

http://www.livevideo.com/media/playvideo_fs.aspx?fs=1&cid=FD1167EBA07442AE8F89E986EB40E78B

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Aug 2008 21:42

Harper has missed 2 out of 2 i think. Walsall shoot out and?? may be west ham shoot out. either way, NO.

Bring back Morley for pens. he missed 1 out of at least a dozen, and he scored that from the rebound. so 100% really.

I really dont get this being crap at pens. Its not that difficult. You practice 2 or 3 types of kick til you can do it eyes shut. Practice makes perfect.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 23 Aug 2008 23:03

Southbank Old Boy Just noticed this story on the EP's site

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2033233_royals_pair_share_spotkick_duty

With our not so great penalty record I'm not sure it really matters who takes them, but surely there comes a point where the manager has to put his foot down and make sure our best penalty taker is going to be taking the penalties.
This just seems a little amateurish to me.

From what we have established Reading do not have a good penalty taker!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Aug 2008 23:13

Here's an idea, in training get Marcus in the goal and get the players who want to take penalties to take them against him. Whoever scores the most gets penalty duty.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 23 Aug 2008 23:21

Or call apon Mrs B in the situation and she is garenteed to score :D

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 23 Aug 2008 23:38

Tony Le Mesmer

Harper has missed 2 out of 2 i think. Walsall shoot out and?? may be west ham shoot out. either way, NO.

Bring back Morley for pens. he missed 1 out of at least a dozen, and he scored that from the rebound. so 100% really.

I really dont get this being crap at pens. Its not that difficult. You practice 2 or 3 types of kick til you can do it eyes shut. Practice makes perfect.

morley lol run into defender grab face, slot penalty repeat....

my mates dad Dean Horrix never missed a pen for the royals either....

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Aug 2008 23:43

juanpablo
Tony Le Mesmer

morley lol run into defender grab face, slot penalty repeat....

my mates dad Dean Horrix never missed a pen for the royals either....

He knew how to take a pen. His last act for Reading was scoring from the spot in the Simod Cup Semi.

Deano!, Deano!...

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 23 Aug 2008 23:46

did he used to slot them or smash them?

his son thinks he is totti and trys to dink them for our team

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 23 Aug 2008 23:50

I think our whole approach is amateurish. We should have a designated penalty taker, a reserve, and so on through the team. They should be trained to take penalties, and in my opinion that would exclude hitting them down the middle the way Doyle did. There was a documentary a few years ago analysing all the ways of taking them and down the middle had the lowest success rate. Highest success rate was hard top corner, second highest was hard bottom corner. Feinting the keeper had a low success rate. In addition, you need to vary it every so often, because the keepers study penalty takers. Hunt should beware of trying that second penalty next time because I bet that's the way the keeper will go. Since you can get promoted or relegated by a point or on goal difference or through playoff shootouts, penalty taking is a vital skill.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 23 Aug 2008 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Aug 2008 23:51

juanpablo did he used to slot them or smash them?

Used to side foot them, top corner.

Is his son a Reading Fan? Sign him up if can takes a pen!!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Aug 2008 23:54

facaldaqui I think our whole approach is amateurish. We should have a designated penalty taker, a reserve, and so on through the team. They should be trained to take penalties, and in my opinion that would exclude hitting them down the middle the way Doyle did. There was a documentary a few years ago analysing all the ways of taking them and down the middle had the lowest success rate. Highest success rate was hard top corner, second highest was hard bottom corner. Feinting the keeper had a low success rate. In addition, you need to vary it every so often, because the keepers study penalty takers. Hunt should beware of trying that second penalty next time because I bet that's the way the keeper will go. Since you can get promoted or relegated by a point or on on goal difference or through playoff shootouts, penalty taking is a vital skill.

Well said. Some would have you beleive penalties are a 'Lottery'. Bollox is it. Just ask the Germans.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 23 Aug 2008 23:55

Tony Le Mesmer
juanpablo did he used to slot them or smash them?

Used to side foot them, top corner.

Is his son a Reading Fan? Sign him up if can takes a pen!!

no the idiot supports Millwall lol

game passed him by he is my age now (24) was on Arsenals books as a kid but just faded out of it