Royals @ Charlton Match Thread

321 posts
Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Royals @ Charlton Match Thread

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Aug 2008 18:20

rg6royal What was our second penalty given for?

Against the defender for pulling back Lita. Never a pen and never a retake.

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Hob Nob Regular

by FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT » 23 Aug 2008 18:21

Row Z Royal Already Spotted:

Forsters Right Foot
ReadingFanMan
Willz Royal

Edit: Team unchanged from last week, by the way.

And also ceaserroyal, dave niker, surrey royal, heathrow royal and adz1871 then.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 23 Aug 2008 18:21

Ref felt sorry for us?

Ball went in, defender, keeper (who looks like me at the moment ... 8) ) and Lita went for it. Ref gave a penalty.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 23 Aug 2008 18:24

Would love to see Watson here, haven't seen him loads of times, but he looks a real battler.

I'd sell Harper, get him in, actually, I'd buy him, THEN sell Harper, and I think it would enhance the midfield.

Then JM can have his column space saying "This signing shows how ambitious the club is" !

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 23 Aug 2008 18:25

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Row Z Royal Already Spotted:

Forsters Right Foot
ReadingFanMan
Willz Royal

Edit: Team unchanged from last week, by the way.

And also ceaserroyal, dave niker, surrey royal, heathrow royal and adz1871 then.

And me ;)

How was their first penalty even a penalty? Wasn't the initial contact outside the box and it was minimal.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 23 Aug 2008 19:02

From the evidence I've seen so far this season we are still incapable of playing 442 with wingers away from home so no change from last season in fact no real effort to change midfield tactics or personnel.

Worrying aspects today was the loss of shape and composure when Charlton stepped up the pace and the inability to play any passing football until the last 5 minutes. Charlton also showed us what proper wing play was about aided and abetted by some woeful defending particularly from Rosenior. I can understand SHunt getting caught out of position from time to time he is not a full back but some of Rosenior's "defending"was frankly abysmal. Centre backs OK in the air but sh*te when the ball is played to feet. Midfield was anonymous I don't think Harper's heart is really in it and Cisse just isn't consistent one good pass or tackle followed by being caught in possession or completely bypassed.

The forward line was laughable, Lita and Doyle haven't looked like scoring this season and somebody needs to go down to the training ground and tell Coppell, Dillon and Downes that Kitson doesn't play for RFC anymore so hoofing in the general direction of the opposition goal doesn't work. How one of Doyle or Lita was not subbed after both had yet another totally anonymous first half perfomance was beyond me - the combination didn't work last season, it ain't working this season and it doesn't look it will work this season so have the courage to change it early or better still try selecting a different combination. Kebe did reasonably well when he had the ball Convey was lightweight and really shouldn't play away from home.

These are early days but the current squad hasn't gelled as can be seen from the number of on field conversations amongst the players where they seem to be working out their own way of playing or simplying explaining the French for "hoof". I suspect if the current unit doesn't sort itself out in the next couple of months then Coppell will call it a day around about xmas and let some one else cover for JM and his squeakiness, the world's greatest director of football.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Aug 2008 19:27

Tony Le Mesmer

However, both totally correct but for the fact that referees appeared to stop applying those particular laws of the game a few years back!!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Aug 2008 19:31

The Quiet Man From the evidence I've seen so far this season we are still incapable of playing 442 with wingers away from home so no change from last season in fact no real effort to change midfield tactics or personnel.

Worrying aspects today was the loss of shape and composure when Charlton stepped up the pace and the inability to play any passing football until the last 5 minutes. Charlton also showed us what proper wing play was about aided and abetted by some woeful defending particularly from Rosenior. I can understand SHunt getting caught out of position from time to time he is not a full back but some of Rosenior's "defending"was frankly abysmal. Centre backs OK in the air but sh*te when the ball is played to feet. Midfield was anonymous I don't think Harper's heart is really in it and Cisse just isn't consistent one good pass or tackle followed by being caught in possession or completely bypassed.

The forward line was laughable, Lita and Doyle haven't looked like scoring this season and somebody needs to go down to the training ground and tell Coppell, Dillon and Downes that Kitson doesn't play for RFC anymore so hoofing in the general direction of the opposition goal doesn't work. How one of Doyle or Lita was not subbed after both had yet another totally anonymous first half perfomance was beyond me - the combination didn't work last season, it ain't working this season and it doesn't look it will work this season so have the courage to change it early or better still try selecting a different combination. Kebe did reasonably well when he had the ball Convey was lightweight and really shouldn't play away from home.

These are early days but the current squad hasn't gelled as can be seen from the number of on field conversations amongst the players where they seem to be working out their own way of playing or simplying explaining the French for "hoof". I suspect if the current unit doesn't sort itself out in the next couple of months then Coppell will call it a day around about xmas and let some one else cover for JM and his squeakiness, the world's greatest director of football.

You make some good points there Quiet man, particulary about being too light weight Away. Its pretty obvious that we cant carry 2 wingers away. But i dont think you can say our current squad hasn't 'gelled'!! Most of the squad have been at the club a long time.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 Aug 2008 19:32

Tony Le Mesmer

I don't think it was a pen either, but I think the retake was a reasonable decision. He came off his line, and although other ref's don't give it enough, you can't blame today's ref for giving the right decision just because others don't.

To be fair, I'm not sure I would've given the first one for the supposed foul of Doyle. There may have been a bit of contact but I think Doyle started to go down before the defender got near him.

SCIAG The ref was awful, as was his linesman at our end. Two of Charlton's goals might have been off side (I think a player was blocking Marcus' view for the third) and their penalty shouldn't have been given, because neither of them knew if it was inside or out. Sending off was a joke, neither was a paticuarly bad foul and the second was more of a collision than a foul.

Sonko knew exactly what he was doing for the second, it was a wild lunge and he totally mistimed it. A definate booking for me. The first one was a cynical foul too, the type you love to make as a defender because it prevents the breakaway, you get to nail the forward and the freekick is far enough away to be pretty comfortable to defend. Again, a deserved booking.

As for the penalty. The lino seemed pretty sure it was inside the box, and although you could maybe argue that the first contact was just outside it is very marginal and there was just as much inside the box as out. I think our ones were a lot more fortunate to be given.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 23 Aug 2008 20:20

I am generally a positive fan but today was disappointing, Kebe was a bright spark seemed to make something happen when he got on the ball. S Hunt put another good shift in a LB and his brother looked good when he came on.

Negatives – This was a Charlton team who have lost a lot of good players but still stuck 4 past us. Defence looked okay first half, seemed to fall to pieces second half. Liam R never seems to play well, also Murts leadership qualities will help the team.

Midfield was thoroughly disappointing, Convey and Cisse especially. I thought Cisse may have turned the corner after last week, he has got to be the most ineffective player I have ever seen. I thought Harper and Kebe played well, some people have been moaning about Harper but least he got the ball down and tried to pass it.

Attack was poor. They were feeding off scraps. I can’t believe some people are recommending Doyle and N Hunt. Leroy hasn’t been brilliant but he is playing a lot better than Doyle.

I’m sure a lot of people on here will feel the same. But its really depressing you shell out £50+ on an away day and feeling optimistic and then see that rubbish.

Since Sidwell left no one wins the ball!

Can’t Coppell see we need an English midfielder who can will the ball?

Harper or Marek can do a job but they need someone alongside them to win the ball.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Aug 2008 20:57

The Quiet Man From the evidence I've seen so far this season we are still incapable of playing 442 with wingers away from home so no change from last season in fact no real effort to change midfield tactics or personnel.

Well said quiet one.
The naivety of playing two wingers away from home ( 3 if you include Hunt) beggars belief.
Unfortunately Convey still looks like and plays like a little boy in a man's game.
Our midfield was over-run by a veteran in Matt Holland and a player only just signed from Southend (we would have waited about 2 months before giving him a game).
Contrary to what the apologists have posted on here Charlton are no great shakes-in their last home game they lost to Yeovil I believe.
No ,today happened and we have a week to do something in the transfer market (that's bringing players in and not just selling) and if we don't I will feel completely let down by the club especially concerning left-back where we had a full year's notice and yet are waiting until the last minute of the transfer window to bring a player in by which time we will already have played 4 league games and any new players will have done no pre-season with our other players.
I really do feel that our club is in a mess and the players (like a lot of relegated teams) seem to think it will just happen and (hearing a bit of Hunty on Radio Berks)still think they are Premiership players-today none of them looked like Premiership players.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 23 Aug 2008 21:06

Going off on a bit of a tangent here I know, but our choice of players on the bench was confusing once again.

Why was Kelly there? Full back is the least tiring position and if needs be Convey and Pearce have both played full back before?! This meant that We had no wingers on the bench. Due to the way we play our wingers always tire and lose there edge. In previous years we've consistently subbed both of our wingers after 75 minutes. Both appeared to tire today, so why wasn't Henry on the bench?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Aug 2008 21:17

I am rapidly losing faith with Stevie C.

I'm feeling quite down about things tonight.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 23 Aug 2008 21:20

Archie's penalty I am rapidly losing faith with Stevie C.

Archie........you are becoming more of an STG than me....
Its still early days and despite what others say I think this squad is good enough to do very well but too many players are simply under-performing at the moment and that has to change and fast before Brum are out of sight

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Aug 2008 21:28

PEARCEY
Archie's penalty I am rapidly losing faith with Stevie C.

Archie........you are becoming more of an STG than me....
Its still early days and despite what others say I think this squad is good enough to do very well but too many players are simply under-performing at the moment and that has to change and fast before Brum are out of sight

I'll never be an STG I just am getting sick of Coppell's faith with players. It took us down and it's continuing this year. I just want Coppell to wake up and make the necessary transfer market moves/changes in the starting lineup. I think we still have a good chance of going up, I just don't want it to be ruined by bad management.

I do think Parkie coming here if Coppell goes is a good call...

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 23 Aug 2008 22:17

I'm really not sure I was at the same match as some of the posters on here - although I suspect some of the opinions were formed through beer goggles in front of the big screen down the pub!

Firstly, it was a tremendously entertaining game, and one which we will remember for some time to come - although perhaps because we lost it will be a bad memory rather than a good one.

I lost count of the number of times Cisse dallied on the ball, then lost possession. On a couple of occasions he tackled back, and regained it, but on the whole he is a liability in midfield.

I thought Harper had a pretty decent game, especially considering he was carrying Cisse as a passenger.

Ingimarsson didn't do much wrong, but didn't have an outstanding game either.

S.Hunt was too tempted to rush forward leaving a huge gap where a left-back should have been. Part of the reason for this was that Convey had been replaced by a Convey-shaped vacuum. There was little link-up play between the two, and Convey seemed curiously absent.

Jimmy Kebe had a good first half, but faded in the second half.

Both Lita and Doyle did virtually nothing. Marcus' habit of hoofing the ball high into the air in search of our garden-gnome-sized "strikers" wasn't helped in the first half by the sun - they couldn't actually see the ball as it descended into the Earth's atmosphere.

Rosenior had a poor game - at fault for the 3rd and 4th goals, I think.

As for Sonko, it was a typical performance from him. Part super-hero, part villain.

Both Long and N.Hunt looked good when they came on, and Pearce looked quite calm and assured.

So, good match, crap result, looking forward to having Bikey back in the team.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 24 Aug 2008 08:06

My two pence. What an absolute shower of shite.

We can talk about new players till the cows come home. They aren't going to make much difference until we start playing as a team because at the moment we look like 11 individuals. It's almost like they are expecting it "click". No-one is taking the game by the scruff of the neck or trying to make anything happen. Therefore we're not performing in any way.

There are of course some fundamental flaws with the system and players. Who's responsible? I'm afraid it has to sit at the door of the backroom staff.

There was absolutely no wing play. Convey was non-existant. The centre was no better than at Dagenham, the number of times Cisse was caught off the ball was embaressing. Neither wing back were any good which is really worrying on the right where we actually have some recognised right backs! Even Marcus was poor, his kicking was plain woeful.

Thankfully there were some great comedy moments:

1. Getting a wrap on the knuckles from a foxy female po-lice officer for running down the ailes giving it two fingers when we finally scored the penelty.
2. Sonko's throw in that never went "in".
3. That 15 minute spell after half time. Just bizarre.
4. Our "fans" claiming it was offside for Hollands goal. Seriously, go and read the laws of the game.
5. Having SB1871 sitting next to me. TOP GEEZER.

Mid -table AT THE VERY BEST.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 24 Aug 2008 08:56

Some learning points emerging already:

Rosenior - not good enough
Cisse - not good enough
Convey - not good enough

Jury still out on Sonko, Lita and Doyle (Long currently > Doyle/Lita).

Need a midfield battler more than anything.

Team spirit good on surface but not when it really counts.

Hunt needs to play left wing.

Come on Coppell, don't be OVER-loyal this time. See some of the obvious things.

Patch

by Patch » 24 Aug 2008 09:09

shit performance
shit game
shit atmosphere
shit part of London

Only upside was sitting next to the soon to be Mrs Convey for the first half, a touch bright moment in an otherwise disappointing day out.

tlcs

by tlcs » 24 Aug 2008 09:50

Quality ....we had to pay £30 for our away tickets whilst the home fans only paid £25,dont bother guessing who got the better value !

321 posts