How long before the fans turn?

nev monkey

How long before the fans turn?

by nev monkey » 25 Aug 2008 09:14

This will depend hugely on our home form of course but given that we can't string two passes together, Harper, Doyle & Lita look undroppable, it seems that all the money has been creamed out of the club, leaving nothing left for much needed replacements, the manager looks distinctly uninterested & frankly we look like a club in freefall. At what point do you think the fans will turn? Could it be a early as Palace? Or will we all be more patient?

REALROYAL

Re: How long before the fans turn?

by REALROYAL » 25 Aug 2008 09:29

The lack of investment over the last 2 years has been a huge let down for the real long term RFC fans. I think we all need the lift of a big name signing, and if we don't get that and we don't win most of our games it will only be a short time before the fans start to lose hope and turn on Coppell.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 25 Aug 2008 09:31

As we will suddenly find our best form in the Palace game, it won't be then. After that game we will continue our new found form and go on to win the League by a mile (again).

In any case, the fans won't turn - people like you might, but not the fans. Those like you who are just waiting for the opportunity to slag the club off at every turn will turn anyway, so you really aren't worth worrying about. And what makes you say the Coppell isn't interested? That has got to be the stupidest thing I've read on this board!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 25 Aug 2008 09:37

I think that some already have!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Aug 2008 09:46

Hampshire Royal As we will suddenly find our best form in the Palace game, it won't be then. After that game we will continue our new found form and go on to win the League by a mile (again).

Promotion is inevitable then, is it, HR? :|

tlcs

by tlcs » 25 Aug 2008 10:13

I dont think its a question of how long before the fans turn its more like how long can the owner keep on taking the piss out of the bread and butter fans.
Week in week out we hear that theres no money to spend on replacements but we take it on the chin because theres f##k all we can do about it,this will carry on till he sees the fans dwindling down to a level where the club will become unsubstanable.
Starting this weekend i will refuse to buy a programme ok its only £3 but if a few fans do this everyweek the message will get through , its not a case of being unloyal but a message has to be sent to JM
"We cant all be wrong "

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 25 Aug 2008 10:14

What I wrote is no more stupid than the expectation that it is inevitable that we will be so bad that the fans will turn against their team and club.

Just putting an alternative view.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 25 Aug 2008 10:18

Remember the penguins on the Falkland Isles!!

Why? Well, I'll tell you - when the RAF planes fly over groups of penguins on the Islands, they all, to a bird, watch the planes flying and they will lean back watching them until they all fall over. It is apparently quite a sight to watch thousands of penguins falling like this. The moral is just because everyone does a stupid thing, it doesn't stop it being a stupid thing!!

(No flightless birds were hurt during the writing of this post)

tlcs

by tlcs » 25 Aug 2008 10:22

HR....i would lower the dosage of your medication, its started to show !!!!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 25 Aug 2008 10:34

The fans have shown a lot of patience through an avoidable relegation and half a season of dismal performances.

Now we are a division lower and failing by making exactly the same mistakes we made last year, I believe patience is running thin.

I believe we are no more than a home game or two away from some strong vocal criticism, not so much at the players or the manager, but at the club for its refusal to invest even a small fraction of its Premiership booty into the team. A defeat and another terrible performance against Palace could well be the catalyst.

I think this is going to be a long and painful few years for Reading supporters under a management whos heart just isn't in it any more.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 25 Aug 2008 10:40

Some of you turn every week it seems!

And, every week, some wally starts a thread slagging A) Coppell B) Mr Mad C) Doyle, Lita, Hunt (Just Steven so far, Noel next week; probably) or any other member of the team (with the notable exception of Marcus who appears to be unable to do any wrong) D) Their misfortune to have been born/live within a hundred miles of Reading E) All of the above.

It's boring!!

If you're thinking of leaving to support another club, perhaps you should. After-all, you've probably only been here for the last two years!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 25 Aug 2008 10:58

It reminds me a lot of the second half of 2004/5. There were loads of threads saying Coppell must go, and Radio Berks got "COPPELL OUT!" texts by the bucketload on their phone-in show, but although people moaned in the stadium, there were no calls for his head in the ground.

Anyone reading these boards would be forgiven for thinking that the consensus of opinion is that Coppell and Madejski are now severely disliked and have completely lost the support of the fans. That, frankly, is a load of crap.

And before some predictable dim-witted retard makes rolleyes-suffixed comment about "all the fans thinking Coppell and Madejski are doing a fantastic job then?", no, that isn't the case, but not all fans have the media-style knee-jerk mentality of demanding heads roll the moment success ends.

snapperjw

It's your own fault!!

by snapperjw » 25 Aug 2008 11:04

Sorry to say this but Coppell should have gone in the summer. Reading FC needed new blood in charge. With Coppell it's the same old game,same old squad, nothing has changed in 3 years. We've simply picked up from where we left off from last year, strikers who can not score goals... Get players in on the cheap.

So for those that stood outside of the stadium in the summer asking Steve to stay I say you waisted your time and if you ain't happy then bad luck, you got what you wanted.

Berry

by Berry » 25 Aug 2008 11:20

Flyingkiwi Some of you turn every week it seems!

And, every week, some wally starts a thread slagging A) Coppell B) Mr Mad C) Doyle, Lita, Hunt (Just Steven so far, Noel next week; probably) or any other member of the team (with the notable exception of Marcus who appears to be unable to do any wrong) D) Their misfortune to have been born/live within a hundred miles of Reading E) All of the above.

It's boring!!

If you're thinking of leaving to support another club, perhaps you should. After-all, you've probably only been here for the last two years!

HOORAH, someone with some sense, I dont want to bother posting on here anymore because A) You get some know it all picking up on spelling mistakes if you type wrong B) Most people on here just slag the Team off C) Its the same boring people posting the same boring Threads.

I watch in from time to time and just feel repultion for most of my fellow Royals.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 25 Aug 2008 11:21

Berry
Flyingkiwi Some of you turn every week it seems!

It's boring!!

HOORAH, someone with some sense, I dont want to bother posting on here anymore because A) You get some know it all picking up on spelling mistakes if you type wrong B) Most people on here just slag the Team off C) Its the same boring people posting the same boring Threads.

I watch in from time to time and just feel repultion for most of my fellow Royals.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: It's your own fault!!

by Hampshire Royal » 25 Aug 2008 11:29

snapperjw Sorry to say this but Coppell should have gone in the summer. Reading FC needed new blood in charge. With Coppell it's the same old game,same old squad, nothing has changed in 3 years. We've simply picked up from where we left off from last year, strikers who can not score goals... Get players in on the cheap.

So for those that stood outside of the stadium in the summer asking Steve to stay I say you waisted your time and if you ain't happy then bad luck, you got what you wanted.

So nothiing has changed for the last three years?

Let's see, 2005/06 - Won championship by a country mile. 2006/07 - finished eigth in the Prem. 2007/08 got relegated on goal difference from the Prem.

So out of the three years that you say nothing has changed from, we had the best two seasons in our long history, and one very disappointing season where we got relegated. As everyone will know, of course, it is far too early to say how this season will pan out, so we have to take the previous three full seasons and categorically state that out of the three seasons, two were truly outstanding and the third, even though we got relegated on GD, still had the third best season in our history.

I don't thibnk we will ever repeat the success of our last season in the CCC, but nice of you to remind us of our undoubted successes of the last three years and I'm hoping, with you, that we can go some way towards repeating the sort of success that you so rightly highlighted.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 25 Aug 2008 11:31

Schards in 'not getting the obvious irony' shocker!!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 25 Aug 2008 11:39

I think a lot of people will look at the team we have for the season before deciding, i.e whether we have managed to get another left back.

Does the loan window close at the same time as the transfer window?

Moderator 5

by Moderator 5 » 25 Aug 2008 11:55

Hampshire Royal Schards in 'not getting the obvious irony' shocker!!
Oh come on!!! :lol:

nev monkey

Re: It's your own fault!!

by nev monkey » 25 Aug 2008 12:00

Hampshire Royal
snapperjw Sorry to say this but Coppell should have gone in the summer. Reading FC needed new blood in charge. With Coppell it's the same old game,same old squad, nothing has changed in 3 years. We've simply picked up from where we left off from last year, strikers who can not score goals... Get players in on the cheap.

So nothiing has changed for the last three years?

Let's see, 2005/06 - Won championship by a country mile. 2006/07 - finished eigth in the Prem. 2007/08 got relegated on goal difference from the Prem.

So out of the three years that you say nothing has changed from, we had the best two seasons in our long history, and one very disappointing season where we got relegated. As everyone will know, of course, it is far too early to say how this season will pan out, so we have to take the previous three full seasons and categorically state that out of the three seasons, two were truly outstanding and the third, even though we got relegated on GD, still had the third best season in our history.

I don't thibnk we will ever repeat the success of our last season in the CCC, but nice of you to remind us of our undoubted successes of the last three years and I'm hoping, with you, that we can go some way towards repeating the sort of success that you so rightly highlighted.

I think the point was that the squad has not been improved upon in the last three years. We had a great team that stormed the Championship but since then we stagnated. We got incredibly lucky in the Prem, we didn't spend & got away with it. It was though obvious to just about everyone but Coppell that we could not do it again. Just about every team spent money in the Prem in a bid to improve what they had. We spent 2.5m on Fae & what a stormer he had. We had no right winger & nothing happened to ever suggest that one would appear. Now that's fair enough, we made mistakes & went down. Problem is we're making the same mistakes again. I'll bet my house that we don't replace shorey, we desperately need a defensive midfielder, Harper is pony & has been for over 12 months but he still won't drop him. Same goes for Doyle. Convey looks a shadow of his former self & the football we play is just painful. Every ball goes long & then just comes straight back at us. If Coppell is not telling his players to do this then drop them & play someone who will follow orders. If however these are his tactics then it looks like he's run out of ideas.

I'm not a fly by night supporter. I've been coming for nearly 30 years now. I've been through the mill & seen some real dross & will admit that we are still a million miles from TB1 & TB2 but that doesn't mean that we should all sit back & accept the decline that seems to be happening. I've tasted the Prem & I never ever thought that would happen. Thing is now we've been there I want to go back. The club has the infrastructure & with the right investment we can get there again. I just feel that the club needs new blood to freshen things up as I believe Coppell has taken us as far as he can.

I will never boo the team or players, I will not call for Coppell's head at the ground as I truly love the guy for what he's done but the inevitable thing is that if we continue to play as poorly as we did at Forest & Charlton then people will start to turn against him. I'd rather he left with some dignity as I think it's beyond him to turn it around.