Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Rumour: Sonko to West Brom or Stoke

by Platypuss » 29 Aug 2008 09:21

Stoke Sentinel:

Stoke boss Pulis lines up £2m deal for Reading defender

by Martin Spinks
martin.spinks@thesentinel.co.uk
TONY Pulis has wrong-footed pundits and opponents alike by lining up a £2m deal for Reading central defender Ibrahima Sonko in time for tomorrow’s Premier League clash at Middlesbrough.

Pulis has also tabled an offer for Cardiff left winger Joe Ledley, while an offer is poised for Ipswich striker Jon Walters as transfer activity hots up ahead of Monday’s midnight deadline.

And Pulis has waved farewell to son Anthony after a deal of around £100,000 was agreed with Southampton at the start of what could be a mini exodus from the Britannia over the weekend.

Sonko met his new team-mates for the first time this morning after joining them on their coach journey to Leeds for training today ahead of tomorrow’s fixture at Middlesbrough.

Pulis has been trailing former skipper Danny Higginbotham all summer, while Liverpool’s Finnish international Sami Hyypia was also arousing his interest over the past fortnight.

But he has plumped instead for 27-year-old Sonko to increase his African contingent to six – four of whom were born in Senegal.

Sonko, who made his international debut for Senegal in January’s Africa Cup of Nations, moved to France as a baby and began his professional career there with St Etienne and then Grenoble.

The 6ft 3in defender moved to England to sign for Steve Coppell at Brentford in 2002, following his manager to Reading in 2004 ahead of 135 appearances for the Royals in the Championship and the Premier League.

He attracted death threats after being involved in the incident that left Chelsea goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini needing a neck brace after a game in 2006, while his ability to stand his ground landed him in hot water with Coppell when he was fined and suspended after refusing to play in two reserve games towards the end of last season.

Sonko returned to the fold this season, however, scoring three goals in three appearances and being red-carded towards the end of last weekend’s 4-2 defeat at Charlton.

He will become Stoke’s seventh signing since promotion – at a cost of more than £13m – and teams up again with former Reading colleague Dave Kitson.

But Stoke’s recruitment will not end there if Pulis succeeds with efforts to sign Ledley from Cardiff and Walters from Ipswich.

Pulis has been a long-term admirer of Ledley, who would solve the problem left-midfield slot, but has never had the pulling power to lure the 21-year-old Welsh international from his hometown club before now.

Walters, a 24-year-old who can play wide or in attack, has been in dispute with Ipswich for some time as news of Stoke’s interest has hovered over their current player-of-the-year for several weeks.

Sonko’s availability at Middlesbrough tomorrow would offer a timely increase in City’s defensive options as skipper Andy Griffin could require a late fitness test on a slight knock to his knee.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Sonko's gone...

by paultheroyal » 29 Aug 2008 09:22

Its over every forum so looks a done deal.

Good bit of business in my opinion. He is a spent force. Great aeriel ability but he was so outpaced on Saturday. Liability in a number of games, and the amount of people who want to give Pearce a chance...well now here it is.

I still think we will bring in a couple so no panic....yet!!

URZ.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 29 Aug 2008 09:24

If true, then Sonko won't be able to play for Stoke tomorrow as shirley he's suspended? Or was his suspension served at the Luton game?

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 29 Aug 2008 09:26

Stranded I must say that I'm really not fussed about this one. We have a number of options in that postion and I can see Pearce coming through now which can only be a good thing.

Totally agree. £2.5m for Sonks and a Bikey/Pearce CB pairing is a win-win for me.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 29 Aug 2008 09:27

The Surgeon of Crowthorne If true, then Sonko won't be able to play for Stoke tomorrow as shirley he's suspended? Or was his suspension served at the Luton game?

You answered your own question, a question that has also been answered another 2,356 times in the past week.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 29 Aug 2008 09:28

Might as well be £25m.

We won't spend a penny of it.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Aug 2008 09:29

Excellent business.

Reduces the wage bill in an area where we had too many players. I don't really know how anyone can see a negative to this. Oh but of course, he's our leading scorer. :roll:

Yorkshire Royal

Re: More than just a Rumour: Sonko to Stoke

by Yorkshire Royal » 29 Aug 2008 09:32

I agree with RR. Which is odd....

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 29 Aug 2008 09:32

Totally agree with that RR, he has blotted his copybook here more than a few times over the last year or so, and was hardly outstanding during our time in the Premiership, to me Stoke have signed a bit of a liability, penalties, sending offs etc............ I just really hope that this opens the door for Pearce, a young lad of true ability, it's now time to put this lad in the first team and see what he can do.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 29 Aug 2008 09:34

Royal Rother Excellent business.

Reduces the wage bill in an area where we had too many players. I don't really know how anyone can see a negative to this. Oh but of course, he's our leading scorer. :roll:

The negative is that its one less body in the squad in return for an extra £2m dissapearing into the ether of creative accounting.

It doesn't matter if we get £100m, when it's not reinvested, it's just one less body.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 29 Aug 2008 09:34

Wycombe Royal
The Surgeon of Crowthorne If true, then Sonko won't be able to play for Stoke tomorrow as shirley he's suspended? Or was his suspension served at the Luton game?

You answered your own question, a question that has also been answered another 2,356 times in the past week.

Apologies, I've been in Washington this week so missed the other posts.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 29 Aug 2008 09:35

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stoke have just confirmed their relegation, give it 3 games and he'll have been sent off.

Thanks Ibu for your service, you have improved (well had) immensely from kicking the ball in your own face at Preston, but £2million is ridiculous money for someone so average. Best of luck at stoke, you and them will need it!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Aug 2008 09:36

Schards#2

The negative is that its one less body in the squad in return for an extra £2m dissapearing into the ether of creative accounting.

It doesn't matter if we get £100m, when it's not reinvested, it's just one less body.

But if it means SC is further forced away from his default position of automatically choosing from his 05/06 squad regardless of performance, that is probably a big positive.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Aug 2008 09:37

Schards#2

:roll:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 29 Aug 2008 09:38

Alan Partridge :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stoke have just confirmed their relegation, give it 3 games and he'll have been sent off.
you have improved (well had) immensely from kicking the ball in your own face at Preston,

:lol:

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 29 Aug 2008 09:39

Great news. So long as Bikey doesn't join him in leaving before the window shuts, this was the perfect sale for us as a club. He has looked a horrible liability in defence for some time now, lacks pace and common sense in the tackle, and will hopefully give Alex Pearce the chance to prove himself.

The bombshell nature of this transfer has got me wondering whether we will indeed be losing others before Monday ends. Harper to leave? Surman to replace him? Lita to make that £5m move to Bolton?? Not so likely.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Aug 2008 09:46

Somebody give Tony Pulis an MBE for his charity work. 8 million for Kitson and Sonko? Stick that in your pipe Pudsey Bear.

Cheerio Sonko. Maybe we can have a footballer playing at centre-half again sometime soon.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 29 Aug 2008 09:46

Hopefully Harper and Lita will follow him out of the door.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 29 Aug 2008 09:47

Royal Rother
Schards#2

:roll:

Absolutely cracking point.

It's little wonder your opinions and debating skills are held in such high esteem on here.

knobby_1871

by knobby_1871 » 29 Aug 2008 09:47

So this is good business ? We have just sold our top goalscorer and when will OS confirm this ?

301 posts