Madejski being booed yesterday

330 posts
Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Madejski being booed yesterday

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Aug 2008 16:59

Stupid thread, mostly stupid comments.

Same old , same old.

Booing Madejski is childish and idiotic.

Streets

by Streets » 31 Aug 2008 17:03

voice of reason
WoodleyRoyal dave whelan has spent millions and millions of this own cash ut dosent see the need to spread his name accross his stadium

Your right, Dave Whelan, who owns JJB, has done nothing to spread his name across the JJB stadium.

I think you'll find Christopher Ronnie and some Icelandic company bought DW's 30% stake, or similar % a year or two ago. He is though an honorary president I seem to recall.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 31 Aug 2008 17:06

Dirk Gently
PEARCEY Re the other posts on here about Shorey.. Yes West Ham and Reading had agreed terms(according to Curbishley anyway) but the deal was subject to our finding a replacement left back...as this didn't happen the deal fell through.

That's not quite how it actually happened.

In January, an offer came in from West Ham which was £4 million – but the same week Everton bought Leighton Baines (an uncapped defender) for £6 million. Nicky Shorey & Steve Coppell agreed it was unrealistic to accept that low an offer as it was below the market value. And there wasn't any interest after that until this summer.

If Curbishley and NS had actually agreed terms they must have done it unofficially and through agents - and an ethical, reputable club like West Ham would surely never do transfer dealings in such an underhand way, would they?

The way our transfer policy works now is that there is a valuation set for every player who has said they want to go, and if a club bids that value then the offer is put to the player and they decide whether to talk to the bidding club.

I thought that they bought Baines in the summer?????

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 31 Aug 2008 17:09

if coppell with his reluctance to spend big, and madejski with his frugal financial management still manage to get us up this season or next, and he sells up to a billionaire who wants desperately to spend a chunk of his fortune on RFC, will you still slate everything he has done, and is doing to run our club properly

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 31 Aug 2008 17:14

I toially abhor booing of any kind, whether it is against our own players, past players now with opposition teams, opposing players who, for some reason have upset our supporters, Neil Warnock (yes, even him!) or our Chairman.

This obnoxious, negative noise serves no purpose at all and only shows up the perpetrators to be devoid of imagination.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 31 Aug 2008 17:17

Streets
voice of reason
WoodleyRoyal dave whelan has spent millions and millions of this own cash ut dosent see the need to spread his name accross his stadium

Your right, Dave Whelan, who owns JJB, has done nothing to spread his name across the JJB stadium.

I think you'll find Christopher Ronnie and some Icelandic company bought DW's 30% stake, or similar % a year or two ago. He is though an honorary president I seem to recall.

See page 8.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 31 Aug 2008 17:24

The answer to all the problems is to buy better players from teams above our level, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea all do this of course, well no actually they do not, they almost without fail buy the better players from below the level they are at with the genuine belief that they will improve at their clubs, and as they usually do they win trophies.

We do exactly the same, we buy from the clubs level or below ourselves to improve our team, and since Coppell has been here it is working well, I fully believe we have a better and more valuable squad than when he took over, and as long as we keep making the right buys then the club will push on.

Going out and spending for the sake of it will make us fail like so many in the past, Coppell believes this and I think that JM does as well, I cannot wait for Stoke to go down, and see how much interest there is in Sonks and Kitson in the summer.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 31 Aug 2008 17:25

spoilt children act more rationally than Reading fans

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Aug 2008 17:26

Does anyone think Graeme Murty looks like Jack Dee?

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 31 Aug 2008 17:28

Gordons Cumming Does anyone think Graeme Murty looks like Jack Dee?

yes

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 31 Aug 2008 17:31

Skin

yes

Never saw that before :lol:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Aug 2008 17:33

Skin

yes

Has anyone ever seen them together?
I haven't?

Has anyone ever booed either of them?

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 31 Aug 2008 17:45

If it were me, I think I would be more in shock than any other feeling that would cause me to boo JM.

What does irk me however is that it all seems a bit 'Boris Johnson'. In slightly bad taste and hypocritical.

This is the man, remember, that would sell this club tomorrow....yet yesterday, he's happy to troop the colour in his 'look at me' glory, as if none of that ever happened. From the perception we all know of Madejski, I can't think for a minute that the fans 'needed' that from him. It certainly wouldn't be high up on the list of thing that fans would have thought would have been beneficial. Also, it's very, very naive for a club that spins one way, and acts in another.

I defy absolutely anyone to agree that if we sold £23m of talent to replaced with a mere fraction of that amount, that you would be happy with it (OK, we couldn't spend as much as we'd receive as we're in the Championship, but the point remains.) We, as fans, can only do one of few things - not turn up, silenty disagree or boo. We have very few options to show our displeasure. Whilst booing is slightly distasteful, what else are they to do that actually causes the cogs to turn?

I suppose whilst we're all eternally grateful, and we've all doffed our caps in the past; you can't just accept everything 'just because'. At what point do you disagree with the way the club runs it's PR, the anti-spin we constantly hear, JM flaunting the club (he clearly loves...*ahem*) to anyone who wishes to meet his valuation? And not that's not for the benefit of RFC, that's for his own benefit.

If your missus had an affair, it's the affair that hurts, not the many years of faithful behaviour previous. You'd boo that, wouldn't you? (taken from shitanalogies.com) JM can't say one thing and act in another without people becoming disenfranchised and not to expect a reaction. Let's face it, when the boos were heard, were you surprised? If your answer is Yes, then nothing that ever happens to RFC will worry you....and that's frightening.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 31 Aug 2008 17:57

Good post, Balti, but in JM's defence he's done a tiring, time-consuming and often thankless job for twenty years and he'd like to retire from it. The only way to do that is effectively to sell the club. It's that or let other people squander his money. He's a rich man who really doesn't need the hassle any more. That doesn't mean he doesn't love the club. If I thought he was going to sell up only to go and buy Leicester, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Anyway, the main point is, if the club want the fans to back the boys and make some noise, by far the best policy at this time is to keep winning. It's in their court now. However, there's no need to make the atmosphere worse by booing.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 31 Aug 2008 18:01

Arch Good post, Balti, but in JM's defence he's done a tiring, time-consuming and often thankless job for twenty years and he'd like to retire from it. The only way to do that is effectively to sell the club. It's that or let other people squander his money. He's a rich man who really doesn't need the hassle any more. That doesn't mean he doesn't love the club. If I thought he was going to sell up only to go and buy Leicester, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Anyway, the main point is, if the club want the fans to back the boys and make some noise, by far the best policy at this time is to keep winning. It's in their court now. However, there's no need to make the atmosphere worse by booing.

True, but surely to god, someone would/should have said "Um...John, now is not the time..." - It didn't take a genius to work out that it was a crass idea.

Even so, as a financial whizz that he is, if he didn't value RFC so highly, if he wanted to sell so badly, he would have. Does he care or doesn't he? I'm just not sure anymore.
Last edited by Agent Balti on 31 Aug 2008 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 31 Aug 2008 18:01

Agent Balti If it were me, I think I would be more in shock than any other feeling that would cause me to boo JM.

What does irk me however is that it all seems a bit 'Boris Johnson'. In slightly bad taste and hypocritical.

This is the man, remember, that would sell this club tomorrow....yet yesterday, he's happy to troop the colour in his 'look at me' glory, as if none of that ever happened. From the perception we all know of Madejski, I can't think for a minute that the fans 'needed' that from him. It certainly wouldn't be high up on the list of thing that fans would have thought would have been beneficial. Also, it's very, very naive for a club that spins one way, and acts in another.

I defy absolutely anyone to agree that if we sold £23m of talent to replaced with a mere fraction of that amount, that you would be happy with it (OK, we couldn't spend as much as we'd receive as we're in the Championship, but the point remains.) We, as fans, can only do one of few things - not turn up, silenty disagree or boo. We have very few options to show our displeasure. Whilst booing is slightly distasteful, what else are they to do that actually causes the cogs to turn?

I suppose whilst we're all eternally grateful, and we've all doffed our caps in the past; you can't just accept everything 'just because'. At what point do you disagree with the way the club runs it's PR, the anti-spin we constantly hear, JM flaunting the club (he clearly loves...*ahem*) to anyone who wishes to meet his valuation? And not that's not for the benefit of RFC, that's for his own benefit.

If your missus had an affair, it's the affair that hurts, not the many years of faithful behaviour previous. You'd boo that, wouldn't you? (taken from shitanalogies.com) JM can't say one thing and act in another without people becoming disenfranchised and not to expect a reaction. Let's face it, when the boos were heard, were you surprised? If your answer is Yes, then nothing that ever happens to RFC will worry you....and that's frightening.

Your argument seems to hinge on the opinion that JM wants to sell the club to simply get rid because it is an inconvenience rather than to place it in the hands of someone more willing to inject from their personal fortune, which is what he has always said. He has always maintained he wants to sell the club, but only to a man he deems fit for the job and who would take the club forward. This doesn't mean he doesn't love the club and it certainly doesnt mean its a contradiction or two faced on his part to then parade in front of the fans.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 31 Aug 2008 18:05

voice of reason Your argument seems to hinge on the opinion that JM wants to sell the club to simply get rid because it is an inconvenience rather than to place it in the hands of someone more willing to inject from their personal fortune, which is what he has always said. He has always maintained he wants to sell the club, but only to a man he deems fit for the job and who would take the club forward. This doesn't mean he doesn't love the club and it certainly doesnt mean its a contradiction or two faced on his part to then parade in front of the fans.

My counter to that is that JM wants the sell the club to a mirror image of himself. And that person doesn't exist, not in this day and age.

Seaside Royal

by Seaside Royal » 31 Aug 2008 18:08

One thing is for sure 3 wins on the bounce and Reading sat second from top in the CC then all will be well with us supporters and RFC land will be green and happy place again.

JM will continue to be our Chairman until a reputable successor comes forward.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 31 Aug 2008 18:09

Agent Balti
voice of reason Your argument seems to hinge on the opinion that JM wants to sell the club to simply get rid because it is an inconvenience rather than to place it in the hands of someone more willing to inject from their personal fortune, which is what he has always said. He has always maintained he wants to sell the club, but only to a man he deems fit for the job and who would take the club forward. This doesn't mean he doesn't love the club and it certainly doesnt mean its a contradiction or two faced on his part to then parade in front of the fans.

My counter to that is that JM wants the sell the club to a mirror image of himself. And that person doesn't exist, not in this day and age.
A pity none of our former players have contrived to get themselves stinking rich like Niall Quinn or Dave Whelan.

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 31 Aug 2008 18:09

Agent Balti

I don't think that is true at all. I am pretty sure he has gone on record as saying he wants the kind of person prepared to pour their own personal wealth into the clubs coffers, something he is no longer prepared to do in the amounts neccessary to attract players better than we already have. I think most importantly its not a case of him being too fussy, more I would suspect no one wants to buy as at this present moment in time anyway.

330 posts