Transfer Deadline Predictions....

198 posts
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Transfer Deadline Predictions....

by Royalwaster » 01 Sep 2008 07:57

g I heard from someone in the know, that Ruel Fox was going to brought in to solve our midfield woes.

Never trust the voices inside your head!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Sep 2008 08:30

rg6royal
Royal Spangle I hope we sell Lita for loads of ££££££££ and buy a TALL striker ( no ideas who though :oops: )

Mooney maybe?

I seem to remember it being said that whilsy Mooney is tall, he isn't particularly strong in the air.

We can not afford to lose another of our proven Championship strikers, leaving us with just Doyle or Lita. Anyone who suggests Long is ready to take over in that role must have been watching a different Long to me. Even Coppell has acknowledged that he's not there yet and must produce or move on.

As for not being able to stop players leaving, it's time for Coppell and the club to show a bit of back bone. If, as Coppell said to BBCRB on Saturday, their agent starts making threats about an unhappy player not wanting to play, then the retort should be: 'Well he's going to be more unhappy now because, until that attitude changes, you are banned from this club and your client can rot in the reserves'. Yes, that approach will cost us money but it will establish the fact that RFC are not a club to be held to ransome. Presumably it will cost the player money to, in terms of appearance and win bonuses, and won't exactly progress his career.

Players can not be allowed to have it all ways around. They get the protection of lengthy fixed term contracts on massive salaries yet want to be able to break those contracts themselves, the moment it suits them.

No doubt we'll get the usual 'well if any of us got offered a better job on more money we would want to move too'. Well it just isn't the same situation. I would wager that there are very few people on HNA who have a fixed term contract of a year or more. What's more, I'm pretty certain that there is no one on here who is on a fixed term contract of more than a year paying weekly wages of £10K+!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Sep 2008 08:42

But as so many keep pointing out football isn't like business apparently - so if the club can't be run as businesses elsewhere why try and take business sense into players contracts?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 01 Sep 2008 08:43

Doyle and Lita out, Villa and Pompy, Matt Fryatt in, there's a new name in the rumours for you all.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 01 Sep 2008 08:58

I was at the greyhounds Saturday night. Bloke on the Tote said all the Irish lads were in on Thursday night and they said none of them were going anywhere.

It can't get any more nailed on than that can it?

kingsleyroyal

by kingsleyroyal » 01 Sep 2008 09:13

The 17 Bus Doyle and Lita out, Villa and Pompy, Matt Fryatt in, there's a new name in the rumours for you all.

With you on this one. Tomorrow, there will be tribute threads on here for Lita and Doyle, A N Other in

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 01 Sep 2008 09:19

RoyalBlue As for not being able to stop players leaving, it's time for Coppell and the club to show a bit of back bone. If, as Coppell said to BBCRB on Saturday, their agent starts making threats about an unhappy player not wanting to play, then the retort should be: 'Well he's going to be more unhappy now because, until that attitude changes, you are banned from this club and your client can rot in the reserves'. Yes, that approach will cost us money but it will establish the fact that RFC are not a club to be held to ransome. Presumably it will cost the player money to, in terms of appearance and win bonuses, and won't exactly progress his career.

While I think your approach is a tad harsh I do agree with the sentiment, and it is about time that a club (or clubs) stood up to agents in a similar way. I am sure that it would be quite beneficial to football as a whole if someone said the same type of thing (but possibly less provocatively!) to an agent and his player. Something like
' you are contracted to us for x more years and while we uphold our side of the contract you will uphold yours. If you are unhappy then that is up to you, but do you seriously think it is going to make you any more attractive to future employers if you are not performing at your best for us? So, we want our money's worth and expect you to deliver.'

There is no need to threaten a period in the reserves, just do it if they fail to produce.

The problem with this line is, of course, that it may just devalue the player in any future transaction, so you are potentially left with an unhappy player who doesn't deliver for you, and who you can't get anything for in the market because he has a reduced pedigree as a good starter. I think it is worth the business risk, for certain players. Others I'd just accept the loss and bank the loot! (Sorry, no hints about which of our current squad I'd do either for).

I find it quite surprising that players still use agents today. It is one (or maybe both) of the Neville's who have not got one and only use lawyers when they need them. It saves them a small fortune in fees, and gets them an expert in sports law to guide them. Surely that is the way for the intelligent football player of the future?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 01 Sep 2008 09:57

I'll go for Lita and (sadly) Harper out, no-one in.

Kieron1981

by Kieron1981 » 01 Sep 2008 10:00

Harper - stays
Lita - stays
Mooney or Long - loan

Doyle - 50/50

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Sep 2008 15:48

My predictions:

Lita sold to Bristol City for £2M; if that doesn't go through then Mooney will be loaned to Brentford for 3 months.

No-one in.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Sep 2008 15:58

Nothing doing either end for us I reckon

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 01 Sep 2008 16:07

A big round ZERO.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Sep 2008 16:20

Someones left........

Victor Unnar Illugasson to Eastbourne Borough on a months loan.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 01 Sep 2008 16:25

Wycombe Royal Someones left........

Victor Unnar Illugasson to Eastbourne Borough on a months loan.

Which of the various ....sson's is he?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Sep 2008 16:27

18 yo Striker is Illugasson

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 01 Sep 2008 16:29

Coppell said he would consider any purchases now a Panic Buy

One club in need of a panic Buy at the moment is Celtic

What chance they will come in for Doyle to show their fans they are prepared to invest after yesterdays poor result?

He has the right "background" for celtic to keep their fans happy for a couple of months

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 01 Sep 2008 16:30

If SC is to be believed then the only reason we'd be bringing in anothe rplayer is to replace one we lost today. He said on Saturday that any signings today (by any club) would have to be panic buys and implied that was poor management.

I wait with interest and expect little or no action inwards.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2008 18:08

Actually he said that there hadn't been any interest in Doyle for a couple of weeks now. Interested parties had cooled off, so any attempt to sign him would smack of being a panic buy.

Not relating to all last minute transfers, just Doyle, as it would be based on a hat-trick after previously deciding not to be interested.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Sep 2008 18:31

At the moment its all quiet. If and it is if it stays that way I will be pleased as we will have a decent squad that should be capable of challenging at the top.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 01 Sep 2008 18:46

Busy times at Reading FC on deadline day...

198 posts