Transfer Deadline Predictions....

198 posts
West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Transfer Deadline Predictions....

by West Stand Man » 02 Sep 2008 11:09

ArfnipIsARoyal So Nick Hammond says we've shut up shop at 10:30pm, say at 10:45pm a fax comes in for S.Hunt for £5m, thus releasing the clause in his contract, Hunt has to be told about it, etc. etc. Until I see it on the official site I will hold back. I do believe Hammond was telling the truth and that is great news, but I'd rather wait and see

Heres a scenario for you. Hammo says the shop is closed, and he backs it up by saying that you have all had over a month to offer the right price (and you knew what that was) in time for us to sell to you and go and find a suitable replacement. Anyone coming in with any offer now is just too late as we can't do a deal to replace the player. He tells the agents that and advises them that any club wanting their player will now have to wait until the Jan window (ie we will listen to offers and pass them on - but not for this window).

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Sep 2008 11:18

West Stand Man
ArfnipIsARoyal So Nick Hammond says we've shut up shop at 10:30pm, say at 10:45pm a fax comes in for S.Hunt for £5m, thus releasing the clause in his contract, Hunt has to be told about it, etc. etc. Until I see it on the official site I will hold back. I do believe Hammond was telling the truth and that is great news, but I'd rather wait and see

Heres a scenario for you. Hammo says the shop is closed, and he backs it up by saying that you have all had over a month to offer the right price (and you knew what that was) in time for us to sell to you and go and find a suitable replacement. Anyone coming in with any offer now is just too late as we can't do a deal to replace the player. He tells the agents that and advises them that any club wanting their player will now have to wait until the Jan window (ie we will listen to offers and pass them on - but not for this window).

The player's agent then tells his player that the club wilfully obstructed a move which would have furthered his career and got him a lot more money, and the player is then extremely unhappy at the club. He demands a move in January, plays half-heartedly until then, and is a disruptive influence in the dressing-room.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Sep 2008 11:44

None of which excludes the possibility that, with an hour to go before the window closes, our DoF knows whether anything is going to happen....................unless you think he was lieing.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Sep 2008 12:09

if anyone came in with an hour to go, it could only progress if we thought it was possible for the player to get to the club, have a medical, and sign, aswell as us getting a player in to do the same
and hour is too small a unit of time for this, so shutting up at 11 ish seems sensible to me

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Sep 2008 12:23

Woodcote Royal None of which excludes the possibility that, with an hour to go before the window closes, our DoF knows whether anything is going to happen....................unless you think he was lieing.

Nope, but perhaps our DoF knows that a transfer takes longer than an hour to setup - it's not just a question of "Can we buy x player for £y million? Yes. Done".

Quite apart from negotiations and player registrations, getting a player to where he's going for a medical and having it the medical done takes well over an hour.

Therefore if no initial approach has been made by that time it's safe to say that nothing will be happening.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Sep 2008 12:25

My point exactly.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Sep 2008 12:38

brendywendy if anyone came in with an hour to go, it could only progress if we thought it was possible for the player to get to the club, have a medical, and sign, aswell as us getting a player in to do the same
and hour is too small a unit of time for this, so shutting up at 11 ish seems sensible to me

It's quite possible that the buying club would've been ok to carry out negotiations over the phone and forgo the player actually having a medical. If they weren't happy to do business like that then they wouldn't make such a late bid, and such late bids do go on

As the selling club we might've had replacements lined up that we were similarly happy to sign without too much worry of a medical etc (they may even have sorted that kind of thing out with the targets already if they were that sure a bid might come in) or the offer might've been too good to turn down even without a suitable replacement being lined up. We still have the use of the loans if we need to so, for example, a 5m bid Lita probably would've been accepted

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2008 12:39

Dirk Gently
Woodcote Royal None of which excludes the possibility that, with an hour to go before the window closes, our DoF knows whether anything is going to happen....................unless you think he was lieing.

Nope, but perhaps our DoF knows that a transfer takes longer than an hour to setup - it's not just a question of "Can we buy x player for £y million? Yes. Done".

Quite apart from negotiations and player registrations, getting a player to where he's going for a medical and having it the medical done takes well over an hour.

Therefore if no initial approach has been made by that time it's safe to say that nothing will be happening.

Deal can be concluded "subject to medical" though. Discussions can take place over the phone and all paperwork faxed to be signed and sent to the relevant authorities. Look at the Robinho deal, for example. All signed and sealed by midnight and the player was still in Spain.

Doesn't mean that Hammond was talking out of his arse though, which he clearly wasn't.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Sep 2008 12:48

agreed

though it just seems very disrespectful to the potential selling club to come in with a 1st bid or enquiry with a couple of hours to go
and as such id be tempted to rebuff it no matter what
massive over the top bid aside.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Sep 2008 13:46

Dirk Gently
West Stand Man

The player's agent then tells his player that the club wilfully obstructed a move which would have furthered his career and got him a lot more money, and the player is then extremely unhappy at the club. He demands a move in January, plays half-heartedly until then, and is a disruptive influence in the dressing-room.

You haven't really read what I wrote have you? I actually said that we would release him in the Jan window, so we are essentially saying the same thing here. Is it really likely, though, that a player who is expecting to move on will allow his performance to drop dramatically before the new contract (with the new club) is signed sealed and delivered? Surely the risk that they pull out and go somewhere else is too great?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Sep 2008 15:32

West Stand Man You haven't really read what I wrote have you? I actually said that we would release him in the Jan window, so we are essentially saying the same thing here. Is it really likely, though, that a player who is expecting to move on will allow his performance to drop dramatically before the new contract (with the new club) is signed sealed and delivered? Surely the risk that they pull out and go somewhere else is too great?

Didn't affect Berbatov's move did it? Shorey's form faltered for the best part of 12 months, Villa still wanted him enough. Look at Barton's problems, apparently a top 10 Premiership club still wanted to take him off of Newcastles hands yesterday

The list goes on. Managers all think they can get the best out of players they want to sign. If anything a spell of bad form lowers the asking price and makes them that bit more attractive to some

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2008 17:30

Dirk Gently
West Stand Man

What about he goes home, turns off his phone. By the time he receives a bid it's too late. Point me to here it states we have to be open to do business 24 hours a day

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2008 18:44

SSN were jabbering on earlier about somebody (didn't catch what club) wanting to put a late bid in for Doyle but no-one at RFC answered the phone.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2008 18:47

Stranded SSN were jabbering on earlier about somebody (didn't catch what club) wanting to put a late bid in for Doyle but no-one at RFC answered the phone.

In the Mail on Sunday too. Spurs for Doyle alledgedly. Don't believe it myself.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 02 Sep 2008 20:08

Ian Royal
Stranded SSN were jabbering on earlier about somebody (didn't catch what club) wanting to put a late bid in for Doyle but no-one at RFC answered the phone.

:lol: Copps broke it remember?? :P Could still go on a loan for cash move with option to move at the end of season, but it'd have to be to one of the clubs in the CCC or below

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2008 20:52

kwik-silva
Ian Royal

:lol: Copps broke it remember?? :P Could still go on a loan for cash move with option to move at the end of season, but it'd have to be to one of the clubs in the CCC or below

Why on earth would Doyle go to another Chump club? For that matter what sort of a mad man would loan him to a rival?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Sep 2008 20:53

Ian Royal

Was it in the psychic editorial;, because the window didn't close until Monday night, so how did the MoS know - unless the Club told everyone on Saturday that all the phones were broken.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2008 20:54

Franchise FC
Ian Royal

Was it in the psychic editorial;, because the window didn't close until Monday night, so how did the MoS know - unless the Club told everyone on Saturday that all the phones were broken.

dunno there was a link on another thread somewhere. I did think that when I posted though.

198 posts