silly of the club or not??

basingstokeroyal

silly of the club or not??

by basingstokeroyal » 05 Sep 2008 11:58

always bought my matches on a game by game basis due to work, starting new job beginning of October and now got saturdays off, so i thought why not get a season ticket for me and the woman.

so i rang up and said from Burnley game can i have 2 ST's, they said yes but it is still £445, i asked how could that be as it will be 19 games left and even 19 x £23 equals £437 and that would be cheaper to do that way, he goes thats it take it or leave it, so with that attitude i put the phone down. i was expecting to pay around £380 with 4 games gone, surely this is a stupid mistake by the club who could of had my money yesterday or am i the one being stupid??

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: silly of the club or not??

by Winchester Royal » 05 Sep 2008 12:30

basingstokeroyal always bought my matches on a game by game basis due to work, starting new job beginning of October and now got saturdays off, so i thought why not get a season ticket for me and the woman.

so i rang up and said from Burnley game can i have 2 ST's, they said yes but it is still £445, i asked how could that be as it will be 19 games left and even 19 x £23 equals £437 and that would be cheaper to do that way, he goes thats it take it or leave it, so with that attitude i put the phone down. i was expecting to pay around £380 with 4 games gone, surely this is a stupid mistake by the club who could of had my money yesterday or am i the one being stupid??

Yes, they are being stupid.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 05 Sep 2008 13:10

:shock:

If it helps, the scarves aren't that good.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 Sep 2008 13:13

I agree that is stupid. Can't be that difficult just to knock off the first 2 games. Makes you wonder if they want our money.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 05 Sep 2008 13:16

If you arrive late to a match and buy a ticket they won't reduce it depending on the X amounts of minutes you have missed. Why should they do the same for this.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 05 Sep 2008 13:20

Clubs should sell season tickets all the time and knock the money off after each game has gone. Obviously there would have to be a cut off point nearer the end of the season.

Silly of the club to take that stance with you. I'd be inclined not to bother going at all after that.

basingstokeroyal

by basingstokeroyal » 05 Sep 2008 13:33

Royalshow If you arrive late to a match and buy a ticket they won't reduce it depending on the X amounts of minutes you have missed. Why should they do the same for this.

in my case they would charge you more for turning up late!!

and with the club struggling to put bums on seats by giving away tickets like the QPR match they should be biting peoples hands off and reasoning with them to get more money and seats filled

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 05 Sep 2008 13:36

Royalshow If you arrive late to a match and buy a ticket they won't reduce it depending on the X amounts of minutes you have missed. Why should they do the same for this.

Because a game is longer than a minute?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Sep 2008 13:47

But what if the first 3 or 4 games are against unattractive opposition - or the last 10 games agaisnt the most attractive teams? That could result in a loss of income as people decide to only buy after the teams they're not interested in.

basingstokeroyal

by basingstokeroyal » 05 Sep 2008 13:56

Dirk Gently But what if the first 3 or 4 games are against unattractive opposition - or the last 10 games agaisnt the most attractive teams? That could result in a loss of income as people decide to only buy after the teams they're not interested in.

the way i was looking at it is ST costs £445, so divide that by 23 games in a season works out £19.34 a game, so me coming in at 19 games would be £367, i dont mind paying abit more say £380 due to coming in late, but if i were to go from october game by game it costs £23, i would get QPR free and cant do boxing day as away so thats 17 games i would pay for which is £391. some may agree with me, and some wont, thats the facts of discussion, but my main point is that they are guarenteed to have sold 2 seats for the rest of the season with cash up front, i thought it would be good business for any club to do this??

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 05 Sep 2008 13:59

Dirk Gently But what if the first 3 or 4 games are against unattractive opposition - or the last 10 games agaisnt the most attractive teams? That could result in a loss of income as people decide to only buy after the teams they're not interested in.

Totally agree..it's like a certain ST I know who couldn't make the Plymouth game and only just made the Palace game due to commitments...it's not like he thought...I will leave the ST application until after the international break and then ask for a discount...a season ticket is what it says...a ticket for the season...not a ticket for part of the season with a reduction for the parts you have missed....HTH...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Sep 2008 14:03

I can kind of the see the clubs logic here, especially if you are buying now.

When you buy a ST you are guaranteeing yourself a seat for that season. If you then miss 2/3 games over the nine months you lose out, that's life. By choosing to buy late for any reason, you're just missing those games up front rather than in Jan/Feb time.

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 05 Sep 2008 14:42

Surely you are not surprised when there was so much full about the sale of half season tickets in 2005/06. If the pro-rated the cost of an ST there would be no plastics and then where would we be?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Sep 2008 14:53

Don't think any clubs do it so don't think its just little Reading being bl**dy daft again.

Probably be some excuse like its too much trouble to work out pro-rated costs for season tickets despite that fact there's nothing remotely hard in dividing 445/23 (rounded up = £19.35) and then just multiplying that figure by the number of games left.

Another opportunity for extra money for the club lost.

Streets

by Streets » 05 Sep 2008 14:54

If true this is very dissapointing, yet sadly not surprising.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 05 Sep 2008 15:17

i don't see this as silly.

They have a price for a season ticket

They will then have a price for a half season ticket

They don't do a 3 quarters season ticket

While it may be easy to do the maths, you are trying to buy a product that does not exist.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 05 Sep 2008 15:31

So the fixture list is released after the season ticket price and we are playing all the 'little' clubs at the start of the season...you don't go to the club and say I want my season ticket to start in november and here's £200 for it.. :roll:

A season ticket rewards those loyal/committed/stupid enough to follow the team through good times and bad...if you can't make a game for whatever reason then you just have to live with it...if commitments outside of football prevent you from going to 20% of the games don't buy a season ticket if it worries you that much...don't expect the club to agree to something just for you...there are 14,000 other supporters who are happy with the ST product on offer...sorry, but deal with it...

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 05 Sep 2008 15:48

There are some people in my row in UW who missed the first games due to holidays but they were happy to pay the going rate in order to secure their seats for the rest of the season. I suspect that there are a lot of people who are in a similar position and others like me last season who miss games due to illness (in my case a broken arm). If the club started charging variable pro rata amounts for latecomers it would in fairness have to offer refunds to others and it would just be chaotic.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 05 Sep 2008 15:57

Look. The solution is simple. Keep buying one off tickets for the next few games until the half season ticket becomes available and then you buy that. Therefore you are paying for games that you haven't missed.

Not all of the games this season will be sell-outs.

chandog

by chandog » 05 Sep 2008 16:45

Thaumagurist* Look. The solution is simple. Keep buying one off tickets for the next few games until the half season ticket becomes available and then you buy that. Therefore you are paying for games that you haven't missed.

Not all of the games this season will be sell-outs.

I doubt any of the games this season will be sellouts
unless we get man u in the semis of the League Cup - then the home leg would be a sellout....possibly