1%
N Hunt
2%
Bikey
11%

Total votes: 142
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Who is our best player?

by winchester_royal » 05 Sep 2008 18:10

What I meant is that I very much doubt Coppell will drop Ivar because of what he has done, and the way Pearcey played I wouldn't drop him either.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 05 Sep 2008 18:11

SCIAG
papereyes Yeah, I think Bikey may have been an option, but then again, if he don't do it for us, I don't really care. And for one reason or another, he's not really done it for us, consistently. Same as Duberry, same as Marek.

Ingimarsson is a RFC legend

Is that any reason why he shouldn't be dropped if Pearce is playing better than he is?

Well, in a way, you could argue yes. Ingi is more experienced and therefore less likely to "stop playing" if things don't go his way. Additionally, Pearce does seem to have a good knowledge of the game, but if he can learn from a player like Ingimarsson, he'l get even better. If the partnership was Bikey-Pearce, I think it would be more a case of Alex teaching Bikey tbh.

That's utterly fair. But, I just question the logic of having three centrebacks and playing the poorest performer of the three (for arguments' sake) because of what he did 2005-2007.

But we should have a squad. Different players for different situations and cover for injuries. Pace might be an issue for all of the centrebacks - Sonko was 'the fast one', wasn't he?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 05 Sep 2008 18:12

I voted for the player that i think makes the biggest contribution to the team cause. Which is what its all about really. S Hunt.

You could look at it a different way. Which player would you least like to lose from the side? Again, S Hunt.

No coincidence that when Hunt's performances dip, so do our results.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Sep 2008 18:14

Whilst I thought Matejovsky was good in several cameos (and not forgetting his great strike against Liverpool) I thought in general he wasn't all that great.

I don't think he's our best player and I think he doesn't work that well with Harps. Of course we need to see how he does in the Championship. My worry is his coming back will disrupt the focus of the team.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Sep 2008 18:17

How do you describe "best"? Marcus is our best in gaol but I'd not want him playing on the wing or up front. Ivar is superb in denfence but the same applies!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 05 Sep 2008 18:22

Dirk Gently How do you describe "best"? Marcus is our best in gaol but I'd not want him playing on the wing or up front. Ivar is superb in denfence but the same applies!

It's all relative Dirk.

Stop being pedantic.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 05 Sep 2008 18:28

I can understand people voting for the likes of Doyle, Matejovsky, Hunt, Bikey but how on earth do you come to the conclusion our best player is Jimmy Kebe? :shock:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 05 Sep 2008 18:29

Tony Le Mesmer I can understand people voting for the likes of Doyle, Matejovsky, Hunt, Bikey but how on earth do you come to the conclusion our best player is Jimmy Kebe? :shock:

Coz he is brilliant.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 05 Sep 2008 18:34

Steve Coppell by quite some distance. Of our current breed Harper is the most technically gifted, although this is offset by his poor football brain

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Sep 2008 18:41

papereyes That's utterly fair. But, I just question the logic of having three centrebacks and playing the poorest performer of the three (for arguments' sake) because of what he did 2005-2007.

But we should have a squad. Different players for different situations and cover for injuries. Pace might be an issue for all of the centrebacks - Sonko was 'the fast one', wasn't he?

Bikey's plenty fast, and if we were desparate there's always Bennett. :wink:

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 05 Sep 2008 18:48

Interesting question ? from the list without doubt Marek is probably the most gifted and Doyle has, forgetting his missfires upto last Saturday, an instinctive eye for goal, but I still believe that in additon to what those two have it is essnetial to have a burning desire to do well and work your ass of and be full of enthusiasm and effort, so for me Stephen Hunt has proved he has all that this season.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 05 Sep 2008 18:54

I know it is not exactly the question asked, but apparently the most common shirt name requested in the club shop is SHunt - followed by Noel Hunt - according to the guy in the shop today.

I voted for Marek as our best player, but you could make a case for Doyle as our most valuable player i.e. about £8 million, SHunt for our most important player (in terms of how weplay) and Pearce as the one with most potential. Kebe could well become our best player this year but it is a bit early - we may have said the same about Seol 2 years ago at this stage, or Mass Sarr a few years before! Personally, I hope and expect Kebe to be more of a Little than a Seol!

Good question though.

My son says Kevin Doyle as he reads this over my shoulder...

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 05 Sep 2008 21:07

I've voted for Bikey because I think he's great. I also loved his wacky antics at the African Nations. Tbh I think he is the most complete player we have.

Klorpee

by Klorpee » 05 Sep 2008 21:13

papereyes
winchester_royal The question isn't 'based on previous performances in a Reading shirt, who is our best player?'

HTH.

So what do we base it on? Whether we like his hair cut? :|

His technical ability (and possibly potential). Robinho is Man City's best player, for example, but based on performances in the sky blue (of which he has none), it's clearly someone else.

So I said Matejovsky. Doyle never impressed me that much; I think Marek's better.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 05 Sep 2008 21:15

They're all a bunch of useless pcunts

HTH

royal-arkansas

by royal-arkansas » 05 Sep 2008 21:28

I would have to go for SH . his consistantly delivered for us . Other players may be more talented but Best to me means Best for Reading and SH is miles in front,, partiularly as Murty isn't in list..

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 05 Sep 2008 22:36

I've gone for Doyler here.
He's proven himself at both this level and Premier level, he's loyal to us and he always gives his best.
You'll never hear a negative word out of him in an interview with the press, and he was a bargain for us! :)
I think if Marek improved his tackling skills he'd be my top, but his tackling lets him down at crucial moments.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 05 Sep 2008 23:06

According to my cousin-in-law's son "Your only good player is Kevin Doyle and he's rubbish!"

He's a Chelsea supporter.

...that was before Doyle's hat-trick on Saturday though.

joe999

by joe999 » 05 Sep 2008 23:55

if you'd told me this answer I'm about to give up at middlesborough last season I would have laughed in your face...

but at the moment, Jimmy Kebe by a mile

He's our minibus

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 Sep 2008 01:16

overall or based on this years performance?