Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
North Somerset Royal

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by North Somerset Royal » 18 Sep 2008 10:02

Having seen all of the games so far it is not only the inconsistency between home and away performances that concerns me but more the fact that none of the teams that have carved us up away have looked that good. Whilst at home we go forward with determination from the outset in search of an early goal at away games the players look as if they dont want to be there let alone win. Not sure why this is. Maybe a hangover from last season when losing away became the norm for most of the season. Certainly not due to support. More noise at away games than at home! I guess that eventually a more consistent balance will be struck but at present I cannot decide whether we are capable of a top 6 finish or not.

As for Doyle going in Jan. If he does and we are in with a good chance of promotion at that stage JM will undoubtedly fund a decent acquisition. He has done this in the past many times even though not often succesful (eg Keogh & Ferdinand)

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 18 Sep 2008 10:06

North Somerset Royal Having seen all of the games so far it is not only the inconsistency between home and away performances that concerns me but more the fact that none of the teams that have carved us up away have looked that good. Whilst at home we go forward with determination from the outset in search of an early goal at away games the players look as if they dont want to be there let alone win. Not sure why this is. Maybe a hangover from last season when losing away became the norm for most of the season. Certainly not due to support. More noise at away games than at home! I guess that eventually a more consistent balance will be struck but at present I cannot decide whether we are capable of a top 6 finish or not.

As for Doyle going in Jan. If he does and we are in with a good chance of promotion at that stage JM will undoubtedly fund a decent acquisition. He has done this in the past many times even though not often succesful (eg Keogh & Ferdinand)

I have seen that too, it's psychological isn't it?
As Wally Downes has said, we're a good team, but we need to play like one more.
Especially away.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Sep 2008 10:17

North Somerset Royal Having seen all of the games so far it is not only the inconsistency between home and away performances that concerns me but more the fact that none of the teams that have carved us up away have looked that good. Whilst at home we go forward with determination from the outset in search of an early goal at away games the players look as if they dont want to be there let alone win. Not sure why this is. Maybe a hangover from last season when losing away became the norm for most of the season. Certainly not due to support. More noise at away games than at home! I guess that eventually a more consistent balance will be struck but at present I cannot decide whether we are capable of a top 6 finish or not.

The problem is confidence.

The players have the ability to replicate, at least in part, what they do at home, away from home. The key will be us scoring the first goal in an away game, we get that we'll be a different proposition. At the moment, we fall behind and all belief drains from the players.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 18 Sep 2008 10:25

Stranded

The players have the ability to replicate, at least in part, what they do at home, away from home. The key will be us scoring the first goal in an away game, we get that we'll be a different proposition. At the moment, we fall behind and all belief drains from the players.

Getting the 1st goal away will be important.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Sep 2008 11:31

readingbedding
Stranded

Getting the 1st goal away will be important.

And the last.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Sep 2008 12:00

Depends how many goals are scored between the first and last surely.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 18 Sep 2008 12:28

Royal Rother
Sebastian One thing to stress though, and I hope I'm talking for Schards and BR2 here as well:

Although we're seeming a bit negative to the rest of you; and although we don't see promotion, or anything near it, this season as a possibility - if we're wrong, we're not going to get pissed off that we're wrong, we'll be absolutely over the moon.

One thing is for sure though...

If we do gain promotion, someone who has been positive throughout the season, enjoyed every win and shrugged shoulders at every defeat as just one of those things in football, will get a lot more enjoyment out of it than someone who has consistently predicted failure, constantly moaned at the way the club is run and managed, and placed a bet on the team getting relegated.

Schards/Seb = Socrates

Royal Rother = The Pig

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Sep 2008 12:44

:lol:
Seb / Schards = The Rolling Stones
Royal Rother et al = The Turtles

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 18 Sep 2008 12:48

Last season, none of the 3 teams relegated the season before won promotion back to the premiership.

If we get to the play-offs this season, in a season that was always going to be one of transition for us (as we knew key members of the squad were going to move on) I will personally be ecstatic.

It is sad that so many posters on here are behaving in the same way all those arrogant west ham fans did when they got relegated to the championship - namely expecting to be already promoted by Christmas and acting as if we have some sort of god given right to be in the premiership.

And expecting the club to go out and spend vast amounts of money it hasn't got to achieve it.

For those of you who inhabit Planet Football, there is a real world out there, and its one that is crashing around our ears as we type; the days of massive expenditure based on borrowing against potential future earnings, if they haven't ended now, are about to - and in a big way. Banks and financial institutions SIMPLY WILL NOT LEND VAST SUMS TO FOOTBALL CLUBS as they will be seen as too much of a risk.

Success for football teams AT OUR LEVEL will no longer be based on how much money you throw at players and agents, but on how many players you can develop either from the Academy or from having bought relatively inexpensively and from money that has already been earned.

With this in mind, i fundamentally disagree wth the assertion that it is hard to see any progress for the foreseeable future; as has already been said, the emergence of Karacan, Pearce and Kelly, with Henry waiting for his chance as well, means that we ARE progressing and hopefully will continue to do so for the future.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Sep 2008 13:30

Wycombe Royal
RoyalBlue
Wycombe Royal Madesjki has made the right choices with our finacial policies and as Coppell has stated - Madejski has NEVER refused him the money for a player when he has asked for it.

My son has never asked me for money for a new car because he knows it would be a waste of time and I would turn down the request point blank.

I have NEVER refused him the money for a new car when he has asked for it.

It would also be pointless him getting a new car if I would only allow him 75p a litre to pay for the petrol.

So maybe JM has never refused Coppell money to buy a player.

The club quite correctly has a wage structure that is within its means - wages are the crippling factor that bring many clubs down financially and tight control of this is a necessity. Only a fool would disagree.

And we know from the past that we have bid upto and possibly over £4m for players but have not been successful. Kevin Dillon has stated in the past that we could by a player for £10m if we wanted as we have the funds available to do so but that is not the way Coppell works.

But you and others like you don't like hearing those comments as it goes totally against your belief that Madejski doesn't make the money available.

And the reverse could equally be said. The JM 'believers' seize upon one comment made by Steve Coppell (who is known to be politically astute with his remarks) and treat it as unequivocal evidence that the necessary level of funding is and always has been available to the manager.

The truth doubtless lies somewhere between the two extremes.

It's just I believe it lies a lot closer to my version than yours! :wink:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Sep 2008 13:55

RoyalBlue
Wycombe Royal
RoyalBlue My son has never asked me for money for a new car because he knows it would be a waste of time and I would turn down the request point blank.

I have NEVER refused him the money for a new car when he has asked for it.

It would also be pointless him getting a new car if I would only allow him 75p a litre to pay for the petrol.

So maybe JM has never refused Coppell money to buy a player.

The club quite correctly has a wage structure that is within its means - wages are the crippling factor that bring many clubs down financially and tight control of this is a necessity. Only a fool would disagree.

And we know from the past that we have bid upto and possibly over £4m for players but have not been successful. Kevin Dillon has stated in the past that we could by a player for £10m if we wanted as we have the funds available to do so but that is not the way Coppell works.

But you and others like you don't like hearing those comments as it goes totally against your belief that Madejski doesn't make the money available.

And the reverse could equally be said. The JM 'believers' seize upon one comment made by Steve Coppell (who is known to be politically astute with his remarks) and treat it as unequivocal evidence that the necessary level of funding is and always has been available to the manager.

The truth doubtless lies somewhere between the two extremes.

It's just I believe it lies a lot closer to my version than yours! :wink:

There is no evidence from any comments from anyone that Madejski isn't willing to spend the money. It is the wage structure that holds us back a lot of the time but that is in place for a reason. If a player is good enough, is needed in the squad, fits in the wage structure and is worth the money then Madejski would back Coppell in signing that player. Of that I have no doubt. It's just that Coppell doesn't want to sign that type of player and prefers the ones he can develop and nurture - that is where he has had most success. Unless of course you want him to sign more Halfords and Faes.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Sep 2008 15:12

Mr A,
Thank you for the Domesday lecture and clearly we are the only well-run club in England (despite seemingly having no money after enormous revenues over the past 2 years which strikes me as not really being that well-run). :wink:
Some people on here do suffer from WestHamitis,i.e think that their club has a divine right to Premiership membership,but some also feel that the club lacks direction and too many decisions are made on the hoof.
An example was the signing of Noel Hunt.
Coppell said that a situation arose (whatever that means) and whereas the whole thrust of our summer signings was to bring in a right-sided midfielder we get....another little central striker.Where is the planning?
Last season we had 9 players for 2 centre-back positions and for much of the season one right-winger.
Where was the planning?

Nobody disagrees that the ideal way forward for any club is to develop young players and clubs like Bournemouth,Southampton,Crewe have kept in existence by developing youngsters and selling them and look where they are now.What I hope we will be doing differently is grooming for our own benefit and not selling anybody decent as soon as money is waved in the face of our current owner.

As I see it we have made progress with a couple of youngsters but also have sold 4 of our proven best players which strikes me as no great progress overall.
As ever time will tell both with RFC on the pitch and with the financial situation-interestingly both the FTSE and our team are roughly where they were 3 years ago so tell me,which will recover quickest?.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 18 Sep 2008 15:14

BR2 Mr A,
Thank you for the Domesday lecture and clearly we are the only well-run club in England (despite seemingly having no money after enormous revenues over the past 2 years which strikes me as not really being that well-run). :wink:
Some people on here do suffer from WestHamitis,i.e think that their club has a divine right to Premiership membership,but some also feel that the club lacks direction and too many decisions are made on the hoof.
An example was the signing of Noel Hunt.
Coppell said that a situation arose (whatever that means) and whereas the whole thrust of our summer signings was to bring in a right-sided midfielder we get....another little central striker.Where is the planning?
Last season we had 9 players for 2 centre-back positions and for much of the season one right-winger.
Where was the planning?

Nobody disagrees that the ideal way forward for any club is to develop young players and clubs like Bournemouth,Southampton,Crewe have kept in existence by developing youngsters and selling them and look where they are now.What I hope we will be doing differently is grooming for our own benefit and not selling anybody decent as soon as money is waved in the face of our current owner.

As I see it we have made progress with a couple of youngsters but also have sold 4 of our proven best players which strikes me as no great progress overall.
As ever time will tell both with RFC on the pitch and with the financial situation-interestingly both the FTSE and our team are roughly where they were 3 years ago so tell me,which will recover quickest?.

Noel Hunt was a bad signing then?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 18 Sep 2008 15:24

Schards#2
Royal Rother
Sebastian One thing to stress though, and I hope I'm talking for Schards and BR2 here as well:

Although we're seeming a bit negative to the rest of you; and although we don't see promotion, or anything near it, this season as a possibility - if we're wrong, we're not going to get pissed off that we're wrong, we'll be absolutely over the moon.

One thing is for sure though...

If we do gain promotion, someone who has been positive throughout the season, enjoyed every win and shrugged shoulders at every defeat as just one of those things in football, will get a lot more enjoyment out of it than someone who has consistently predicted failure, constantly moaned at the way the club is run and managed, and placed a bet on the team getting relegated.

Schards/Seb = Socrates

Royal Rother = The Pig

As much as it hurts me to say it, I agree with Royal Rother, though I thought he was negative. Maybe he's only negative when it comes to the England football team and Leroy Lita? :|

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Sep 2008 15:50

I'm just shocked its taken you a year to work that out.

Seriously, man, get a grip!

Noel Hunt was a bad signing then?

I'd be surprised if that was what he was saying.

Just another reiteration of the "we don't have the numbers or the quality in certain areas of the field" argument.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Sep 2008 18:52

Except we didn't have one right winger. We had oneght winger fit at any time (at best) and had another one who spent the entire season injured (which wasn't expected) and another who wasn't a winger but should have been able to play there, but was a toseer and shit.

And I say again, just because we haven't spent lots of the money coming in on players, doesn't mean it hasn't benefitted the Club. If when we see our books at last, they say we've wiped out £ms of debt. That can only be a very very good thing with a potential financial crisis looming.

Apocalypse Now
Location: " Has anyone here at this reading home game, got a season ticket"- Pa Dickhead

by Apocalypse Now » 18 Sep 2008 19:25

I can't believe some of the people moaning. 5th in the table after a mixed start just shows how poor the standard in the league is.

The side hasn't been settled yet and Coppell is still trying to piece together his best eleven. The away form will come, people expect too much, too soon. The season is 46 games long, it will take the players and manager time to adjust back into this league. Having Bikey back is going to be a big plus and N Hunt looks the business.

Give Coppell and the team time to get things right.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 18 Sep 2008 20:03

Apocalypse Now I can't believe some of the people moaning. 5th in the table after a mixed start just shows how poor the standard in the league is.

The side hasn't been settled yet and Coppell is still trying to piece together his best eleven. The away form will come, people expect too much, too soon. The season is 46 games long, it will take the players and manager time to adjust back into this league. Having Bikey back is going to be a big plus and N Hunt looks the business.

Give Coppell and the team time to get things right.

Confidence is on the rise. All the home goals will start spilling over to road goals soon enough I hope. So I think we are making progress. Agree with much of the above.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 19 Sep 2008 09:48

There's been little changes here and there already, progress made.

Hunt lb, Convey lw --> Armstrong lb, Hunt lw
Neither Cisse or Marek in midfield
Bikey back in the starting XI, Pearce coming through
No sign of Lita in the XVI

All little positives.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 19 Sep 2008 09:50

Why would Lita being not in the squad a positive for you, papereyes? :|

For what it's worth, I'm quite happy with the Doyle-N.Hunt pairing, it seems to work. I just think Lita is better than Long.

2091 posts