Back from the Burnley game

126 posts
Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game

by Sarah Star » 05 Oct 2008 00:12

Things I remember about the game:

Doyle getting taken out by one of the Burnley guys who got let off with a warning.
Shane Long making some lovely neat passes and getting one back to score a goal.
Armstrong struggling to contain their numbers 10 & 11, who seemed to be mouthing off to each other and the referee, but managing it. Their no.23 seemed to get away with a lot too...until he got his yellow and red cards.
Bikey having a good all-round game.
The two Burnley players running into each other to give Bikey the ball.
I'm sure there were two more goals in there too. Didn't both Hunts score with headers?

There were probably more things, and these might not have been in this order.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 05 Oct 2008 00:26

Sarah Star Things I remember about the game:

Doyle getting taken out by one of the Burnley guys who got let off with a warning.
Armstrong struggling to contain their numbers 10 & 11, who seemed to be mouthing off to each other and the referee, but managing it. Their no.23 seemed to get away with a lot too...until he got his yellow and red cards.
I'm sure there were two more goals in there too. Didn't both Hunts score with headers?

you should lay off the bacardi breezers love :wink:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 05 Oct 2008 01:16

It looks good for Reading when we can win 3-1 at home when the performance wasn't even that great in terms of overall team work. It was a bit of a scrappy, disjointed game which didn't have too much flow to it, but we still bagged 3 goals.

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 05 Oct 2008 01:47

FiNeRaIn
Royalwaster
Armstrong (8) - Shorey, who? Very professional performance.

I hope we are not going to have a season of silly comments like this.

if it means the player in question has played brilliantly again then who really cares?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 05 Oct 2008 02:00

the performance was below normal standard set in previous games, we still scored 3 goals, still picked up 3 points and are still moving forward.

If we can win when we play average then we will be well within promotion

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Oct 2008 08:17

I really think Elliot should have been sent off. He was fouling and mouthing off at every possible oppurtunity. They were definately lucky to get away with 4 bookings and 1 red.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 05 Oct 2008 10:01

We may well have to get used to away teams playing with 3 central midfielders for most of the game and thus having a lot of the ball.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 05 Oct 2008 10:04

Platypuss We may well have to get used to away teams playing with 3 central midfielders for most of the game and thus having a lot of the ball.

Why?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 05 Oct 2008 10:14

Sarah Star
Platypuss We may well have to get used to away teams playing with 3 central midfielders for most of the game and thus having a lot of the ball.

Why?

Because the majority of teams will come to the Mad Stad looking to get a draw, and hence play 4-5-1

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 05 Oct 2008 10:17

Thanks, WR.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 05 Oct 2008 10:21

Agree with some that Hunt didn't have a great game by his standards this season. He needs to pass more and not try to beat players 1 on 1 because he isn't very good at it.

Kebe had a quiet game, but 2 great assists, can't ask for alot more. He WILL score soon...

Doyle I thought was excellent, the guys control and pace is just Premiershipo quality, if he doesn't go in Jan I'll be amazed (unless we are storming the league a la 3 years ago).

Long, still not convinced, thought he had his best game for a while and is really quick, but Lita must still wonder why he isn't in ahead of him.

Bikey, always thought he was class from the day he arrived, and far far too good for this league. A complete and utter monster in defence, 7 ft tall and eats babies....

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 05 Oct 2008 10:23

Long, still not convinced, thought he had his best game for a while and is really quick, but Lita must still wonder why he isn't in ahead of him.

Because he's at Norwich?

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 05 Oct 2008 10:25

strangely i was in a way encouraged by Longs completely rank shooting.... atleast he is still confident enough to try it. Hopefully he can progress.....

jonboy

by jonboy » 05 Oct 2008 10:43

I read the first page of coments and apart from pie eater who was spot on, I do wonder if you guys actually watch the same matches as me. We were second best to most things, energy levels were not as high as they should have been,very few passing moves. If Burnley had a bit of luck we could have been struggling, a combination of bad finishing too. SC is right when he said whomever scores first in these games it is crutial. Hunt was really poor apart from set pieces and he missed a carbon copy header 5 mins before his goal (which was laid on a plate). That said, Doyle was outstanding as was Bikey and we have had 3 really hard games in a week which probably effected the players. If you can play like that and win I shouldn't really complain.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Oct 2008 10:49

jonboy I read the first page of coments and apart from pie eater who was spot on, I do wonder if you guys actually watch the same matches as me. We were second best to most things, energy levels were not as high as they should have been,very few passing moves. If Burnley had a bit of luck we could have been struggling, a combination of bad finishing too. SC is right when he said whomever scores first in these games it is crutial. Hunt was really poor apart from set pieces and he missed a carbon copy header 5 mins before his goal (which was laid on a plate). That said, Doyle was outstanding as was Bikey and we have had 3 really hard games in a week which probably effected the players. If you can play like that and win I shouldn't really complain.

You're right, you were at a different game from some of us. Don't let that stop you from commenting though.
:oops:

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 05 Oct 2008 11:25

Chaney

Actually summed up the game quite nicely for me. I thought Burnley were very negative, just focussed on disrupting the game in any way they could, reminded me of Bolton. They seemed to come with the approach of just keeping the score down, which is a huge compliment to Reading.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 05 Oct 2008 11:47

jonboy If Burnley had a bit of luck we could have been struggling, .

no son, you were the one at a differnt game, just give me one single example of where Burnley were unlucky?..yes they had more of the ball but I`m struggling to remember on single chance they created inside the box

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 05 Oct 2008 11:49

rotherwick_royal
Chaney

Actually summed up the game quite nicely for me. I thought Burnley were very negative, just focussed on disrupting the game in any way they could, reminded me of Bolton. They seemed to come with the approach of just keeping the score down, which is a huge compliment to Reading.

just having a little joke that she couldn`t seem to recall some of the things that happened :lol:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 05 Oct 2008 11:52

West Stand Man While we are at it, the Kebe 'miss' was not relevant anyway since the lino was flagging him offside. Sorry to disappoint the anti -Kebe brigade.

In my view it was failed communication.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Oct 2008 11:56

Just watched the goals on the Championship. All three goals were very good and all from open play. Nhunt's header was a bullet and brave, both of the first goals had great assists from Kebe. The third was the best goal though - great cross from Doyle and lovely finish from Long. If we can continue to finish like that we're going to win most games we play...

126 posts