The craziest thing you,ve done to follow Reading?

bigshaka'away'

Re: The craziest thing you,ve done to follow Reading?

by bigshaka'away' » 22 Oct 2008 17:58

Yup, got a friend to hang around in Brentford pubs to get some tickets for that oh so crucial game, had m uni final exams but once he manage to get a couple of tickets in the brentford end i purchased a return plane ticket from manchester to london on the day of the game so i could see it. it was so so so so so so worth it although it left me broke, although my hands hurt from sitting on them as i was in the brentford section.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 22 Oct 2008 18:47

Leaving last year at 4am to see Reading play in Newcastle before getting home at midnight, having not slept that night.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Oct 2008 19:15

Nothing too rediculous, but Tranmere Away in 1990 was a bit of a farce.

Just started work, went to Tranmere on a Friday night. Full whack fares then for a Friday, via London, I was on £5k a year. :shock:

Left Twyford in think fog, London was thick fog, Brum Thick fog. No problem, the match is in Liverpool. Arrive Tranmere 4pm. Thick fog. No problem, nearly 4 hours til kick off. Kick off came, thick fog, you couldn't see past the half way line! But still it was played and apprently it ended 0-0. Total Farce of a game.

Train back wasn't til gone midnight, so went for a couple of post match beers. As soon as they heard my accent, i was more or less refused service. They just ignored me. Only a year after Hillsborough, think they were still very bitter to outsiders!

Got home 8am, and saw basically oxf*rd all football for about half a weeks wages. Happy Days!

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 22 Oct 2008 20:19

got back to heathrow from delhi at 11:30am on a saturday and straight to the game..a dull 1 1 with middlesborough!

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 27 Oct 2008 11:09

seahawk10 Mine is going to be super tame but here it is:

September 22, 2007 Wigan @ Reading. Hiro, from HNA, was in Los Angeles on vacation and we had decided to meet up to watch the game. Reading games are typically on at 7am in the morning. So I made arrangements to pick him and his wife up at their hotel since Hiro was hesitant to drive in LA since we drive on the wrong side of the road. ;-) Now the game was due to be on Setanta, so I found a soccer pub near their hotel, picked them up and headed over there. I also brought my laptop in case the game wasn't on, I could stream it on the computer from the pub.

So we get there and the game was not being shown. No worries, I went back to the car and grabbed the laptop. Brought it inside and fired it up. No wifi. Couldn't even glom on to some neighbors signal. So now we have two choices, stay and watch some other game or leg it down the street to a Starbucks we passed which I am sure would have wifi. We choose the latter.

We get there, all three of us decked out in our Reading shirts (LOL if you like, but I am a grown man and I wear a Reading shirt on game days). Sit down, fire up the laptop and try to connect to their signal. I get taken to a screen where I need to pay $15 for a day pass to T-Mobile's wireless network. Bugger, so I whip out the credit card (yes I am a plastic fan too), pony up and we finally start watching the game.

By the time we had it working the Royals were already up 1-0 thanks to Dave Kitson. And as the second-half rolls around Marcus Bent equalises early. (The first five-ten minutes after the break were always nervy for me last year as we seemed to give up goals like crazy after the team talk). So as we watch, streams of yuppies and upper crust variety are going in and out of starbucks with their half-caf double-mocha latte's and every now and again Hiro and I will scream or shout at a close call or play getting loads of looks from people in the queue. Finally, in extra time, James Harper comes up with the game-winner and we let out such a shout that we nearly gave the people waiting at that time a heart-attack.

After the game, we went back to the pub for a proper english fry up for me while Hiro got the fish and chips and a beer the size of my car. We watched more footy and had a great time. The end. :D

Not reading all that but I'll wager there's been a few Sleepless in Seattle nights in the seahawk household as you've tried to get to games

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 27 Oct 2008 11:18

Would love to do something like that but just don't have the money. Pity.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Oct 2008 13:56

turn up

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 27 Oct 2008 14:04

Liverpool away, train up and got pie eyed. Stayed out after the game, train over to Manchester and got more pie eyed. Train to Manchester airport for a flight down to Heathrow, felt pretty crap. Then sat in Heathrow for five hours drinking before getting a flight up to Edinburgh, pie eyed. Class

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 27 Oct 2008 17:14

AF1 Not reading all that but I'll wager there's been a few Sleepless in Seattle nights in the seahawk household as you've tried to get to games

The Sunday noon kickoffs are the worst. That's 4am for me. But I will get up, watch the game and then go back to sleep. But I don't really consider those challenges of the crazy variety. And I am going sleepless in Los Angeles (not Seattle) for the most part.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 27 Oct 2008 17:53

Chaney I`de be interested to hear of anyone that can beat this shear lunacy in your love for our favourite footy team,
it happened many years ago, probably late 70,s , myself and 3 friends were having a jar or 8 in the local watering holes around
Reading when the conversation got onto Readings away game at Stockport the following day..the drink was talking at this time as it was about 10pm, anyway one of us mentioned that wouldn`t it be a good idea to hitch-hike up there :(
like a load of idiots we all agreed..so as soon as the pubs chucked out we split into two groups and headed off..to say I regretted that decision till this day is an understatement..there was the girl that picked us up and was going to drop us off in Birmingham, but she chucked us out near to Oxford after I chucked up in the back of her car :oops:
we did eventually get to Stockport after getting a train for the final leg of the journey, we missed the 1st twenty minutes or so, it was hard to get into the spirit of the game because quite frankly we were both absolutely knackered, at half time we heard someone shouting from the seated area..it was one of the other two guys, they made it there with somet time to spare..he said that another friend of ours was there and he was willing to give us a lift all the way back to Reading..and to meet them outside after the game. naturally this made us feel much better.
after the game (which finished 2-2) we made our way to the meeting point, but couldn`t find them anywhere..as this was before the days of the mobile phone we had no way of knowing just where they were, it turned out that they meant a different corner of the ground, and we missed them altogether..so after about 30 minutes we knew we had the awful option of hitch-hiking all the way home again..neither of us had slept for over 36 hours now so this was not going to be a pleasant journey!
one of my vivid memories is of sitting on a metal barrior at a motorway intersection while my mate held out his thumb when a police car pulled up, we told them our story and they kindly gave us a lift to a nearby transport cafe where there were loads of lorries parked outside, we asked nearly all the drivers there if anyone was heading south..none were..so we started to walk, we saw the signs LONDON 100 MILES..after what seemed an eternity we saw the next sign LONDON 98 MILES..I thought thats it..I`m going to die here, we walked for about 2 more hours when a car pulled up..where you heading guys?..the man said.. Reading..I`m not going to Reading..will London do?...F*ck me man yea yea!!!..we got in the car and headed off..inside a minute I was asleep, next thing I know I`m waking up outside Paddington station as he dropped us off..I finally fell through my front door at around 2.30 on Sunday afternoon.
my mum had just finished cooking the Sunday roast..the best meal of my life I went to bed..and woke up 8am Monday morning...just in time for work. :lol:

You are either a total oxf*rd lying wind-up merchant ..... or a oxf*rd RFC hero. Can't decide which!! :wink:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 27 Oct 2008 18:05

Chaney I`de be interested to hear of anyone that can beat this shear lunacy in your love for our favourite footy team,
it happened many years ago, probably late 70,s , myself and 3 friends were having a jar or 8 in the local watering holes around
Reading when the conversation got onto Readings away game at Stockport the following day..the drink was talking at this time as it was about 10pm, anyway one of us mentioned that wouldn`t it be a good idea to hitch-hike up there :(
like a load of idiots we all agreed..so as soon as the pubs chucked out we split into two groups and headed off..to say I regretted that decision till this day is an understatement..there was the girl that picked us up and was going to drop us off in Birmingham, but she chucked us out near to Oxford after I chucked up in the back of her car :oops:
we did eventually get to Stockport after getting a train for the final leg of the journey, we missed the 1st twenty minutes or so, it was hard to get into the spirit of the game because quite frankly we were both absolutely knackered, at half time we heard someone shouting from the seated area..it was one of the other two guys, they made it there with somet time to spare..he said that another friend of ours was there and he was willing to give us a lift all the way back to Reading..and to meet them outside after the game. naturally this made us feel much better.
after the game (which finished 2-2) we made our way to the meeting point, but couldn`t find them anywhere..as this was before the days of the mobile phone we had no way of knowing just where they were, it turned out that they meant a different corner of the ground, and we missed them altogether..so after about 30 minutes we knew we had the awful option of hitch-hiking all the way home again..neither of us had slept for over 36 hours now so this was not going to be a pleasant journey!
one of my vivid memories is of sitting on a metal barrior at a motorway intersection while my mate held out his thumb when a police car pulled up, we told them our story and they kindly gave us a lift to a nearby transport cafe where there were loads of lorries parked outside, we asked nearly all the drivers there if anyone was heading south..none were..so we started to walk, we saw the signs LONDON 100 MILES..after what seemed an eternity we saw the next sign LONDON 98 MILES..I thought thats it..I`m going to die here, we walked for about 2 more hours when a car pulled up..where you heading guys?..the man said.. Reading..I`m not going to Reading..will London do?...F*ck me man yea yea!!!..we got in the car and headed off..inside a minute I was asleep, next thing I know I`m waking up outside Paddington station as he dropped us off..I finally fell through my front door at around 2.30 on Sunday afternoon.
my mum had just finished cooking the Sunday roast..the best meal of my life I went to bed..and woke up 8am Monday morning...just in time for work. :lol:

Brilliant

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 27 Oct 2008 18:23

Drove down from family holiday in deepest darkest North Wales on the Saturday to make it for home game against Coventry, to see us go one up coasting then lose 2-1 again!
Then to drive straight back up again & try to convince the Mrs it was worth it!

Should've known better! Should've known better! Should've known better! :oops:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 27 Oct 2008 18:33

watfordroyal Drove down from family holiday in deepest darkest North Wales on the Saturday to make it for home game against Coventry, to see us go one up coasting then lose 2-1 again!
Then to drive straight back up again & try to convince the Mrs it was worth it!

Should've known better! Should've known better! Should've known better! :oops:

Would have been better if you said you were going sight-seeing for the day instead. (But actually going to the footie and see if you could get away with it without her finding out)

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 27 Oct 2008 18:42

When i was about 16 i got a taxi from Newbury to Elm Park as i had not missed a home game all season, it was too late to catch a train and wrongly i thought my mate who was driving was not going to the game. It cost me £13 and we lost 2-1 to Bradford and my mate was standing on the south bank when i arrived having been to my house only to find out i had already left in a taxi.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 27 Oct 2008 19:10

strap

You are either a total oxf*rd lying wind-up merchant ..... or a oxf*rd RFC hero. Can't decide which!! :wink:

Hampshire royal will confirm that its true..because he was one of the other two guys..

Bubbly4Me

by Bubbly4Me » 27 Oct 2008 19:22

Royal Lady He also rang BBC Radio Berks when we were in Florida and listened to the commentary down the phone for an hour and a half. :roll:

Class :)

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 27 Oct 2008 19:54

It's so intresting reading everything on this thread :lol:

I haven't really done anything crazy but i do remember (faintly :wink: ) running onto the pitch against Derby in April 2006, when we were crowned champions! While on the pitch someone ran upto me and kissed me on the cheek :oops:
I also remember following the bus on the parade for an hour...no stalker...honest :wink:
This probably has nothing to do with the matter, but in 2005 when we played QPR away, think it was early November? some girl in my year at school came upto me and asked me if i supported Reading (i was wearing a reading scarf...so it was pretty obvious!) i said yes, (this was after the 2-1 win away at QPR and she supports QPR...) she said, 'all of your players are ugly' and i was like, 'no they're not...' then she went onto say they're all ginger and ugly and i was like, pfff. whatever. She was obviously annoyed we'd beaten them :lol: if only we would've won on Saturday...then i could've seen her face at work the next day :roll:

Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

by Row V » 27 Oct 2008 23:17

I just flew a round trip of 7,000 miles to see the Doncaster game.
My arms still ache........

(You may have heard me in Row V suprisingly enough telling the Referee that I flew 7,000 miles just to see him. Around the time that one of his decisions led to their goal)

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 28 Oct 2008 00:17

Tranmere away 1990 on a Friday night. At the time I had a litte Fiesta with a blown box, god it was noisy. Anyway at 4.00pm I decided I fancied a journey up north to see the mighty Royals knowing I was cutting it fine. By the time I had reached Birmingham thick fogged had descended and restricted me to no more that 30 mph, I knew I was going to be so late but in my subborness decided to push on anyway, no way was I turning back. After crewe I managed to find a local radio station giving commentry although I had a coat hanger for an ariel and only managed to get a clear reception when passing under bridges. Into the second half now but still I press on. Still thick fog and reach Prenton Park, park right next to the ground lock the car door ( I am on MerseySide) and just start the short sprint to the away end when I hear the shill of the final whistle. "what a waste of petrol" couldn't be a more fitting chant, I slept in the car that night not being able to face the trip back down south. Luckily I think petrol was about 30 pence a litre back then, 4 star is was too !

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 28 Oct 2008 01:35

S09Royal It's so intresting reading everything on this thread :lol:

I haven't really done anything crazy but i do remember (faintly :wink: ) running onto the pitch against Derby in April 2006, when we were crowned champions! While on the pitch someone ran upto me and kissed me on the cheek :oops:
I also remember following the bus on the parade for an hour...no stalker...honest :wink:
This probably has nothing to do with the matter, but in 2005 when we played QPR away, think it was early November? some girl in my year at school came upto me and asked me if i supported Reading (i was wearing a reading scarf...so it was pretty obvious!) i said yes, (this was after the 2-1 win away at QPR and she supports QPR...) she said, 'all of your players are ugly' and i was like, 'no they're not...' then she went onto say they're all ginger and ugly and i was like, pfff. whatever. She was obviously annoyed we'd beaten them :lol: if only we would've won on Saturday...then i could've seen her face at work the next day :roll:

So your now stalking her at work!!