Formations

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

Formations

by AlexY25 » 31 Oct 2008 00:16

We've used the 4-4-2 for a long time.

Maybe were too predictable, so a change in formation could be good.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 4-3-3, just to try and balance it out, having 3 central midfielders could make us more heavyweight.

Coppell probably wont change the formation but i would love to see it against brizzle, just to see if it changed our away form at all.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Formations

by Avon Royal » 31 Oct 2008 08:10

AlexY25 We've used the 4-4-2 for a long time.

Maybe were too predictable, so a change in formation could be good.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 4-3-3, just to try and balance it out, having 3 central midfielders could make us more heavyweight.

Coppell probably wont change the formation but i would love to see it against brizzle, just to see if it changed our away form at all.

If we start pissing around against city they will murder us.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 31 Oct 2008 09:06

Avon Royal If we start pissing around against city they will murder us.

Literally. They're a tough bunch.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 31 Oct 2008 10:58

Almost any other formation apart from 4-5-1 (4-3-3) means relying more on the full backs to provide width going forward. I`m not sure Armstrong is up to this.

Sooner or later a system will need to be found to accomodate Matejovsky or discard him. A bit like Modric at Tottenham, I don`t think he can play in a hectic English style 4-4-2. Redknapp has already worked this out,and has a slightly more flexible approach to these things than Coppell.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 31 Oct 2008 12:40

AlexY25

Wouldn't it just mean we were outnumbered in midfield against everyone, rather than just against the teams that stick 5 there ?

Quoting numbers as formations doesn't tell us much, you have to stick names in there. If we played 4-3-3 who woul dbe the front 3 and who would be the 3 central midfielders ?

gods a reading fan

by gods a reading fan » 31 Oct 2008 13:14

think it could be a good idea, my team for it would be:

. . . . . . USA . . . . . . . .
. liam . ingi . BK . strech .
. . . . . . . bryn . . . . . . .
. . . .marek . harps . . . .
kebe . . . . . . . . . . shunt
. . . . . . . doyle . . . . . .

i guess it would mean in defence it's a 4-5-1, but in attack it's a 4-3-3, the only problem with this is often we'll be stuck with only doyle being the option when there's a cross into the box, untill the winger who doesn't have possesion makes a run to the far post. If we play anything like we did last game i can't see this working as it will be the same story of chances not being taken but i think it's worth taking the risk for. whatever coppell decides though i trust will be correct
Last edited by gods a reading fan on 31 Oct 2008 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 31 Oct 2008 13:18

gods a reading fan think it could be a good idea, my team for it would be:

USA
liam ingi BK strech
bryn
marek harps
kebe shunt
doyle

i guess it would mean in defence it's a 4-5-1, but in attack it's a 4-3-3, the only problem with this is often we'll be stuck with only doyle being the option when there's a cross into the box, untill the winger who doesn't have possesion makes a run to the far post. If we play anything like we did last game i can't see this working as it will be the same story of chances not being taken but i think it's worth taking the risk for. whatever coppell decides though i trust will be correct

Like the look of that but would rather Cisse than Bryn tbh. And Karacan instead of Harps.

gods a reading fan

by gods a reading fan » 31 Oct 2008 13:33

i did consider cisse for bryn and karavan for harps, but i thought in some situations where options are low we'll need some more experiance in the team. saying that however, i do sometimes feel that karavan's decision making can be better than harps when it comes to passing because he doesn't go for any risky ones, he does it nice and simply, when we want a speculative through ball we'll let marek try it too i suppose.

either way i'm quite happy tbh, i don't feel there's a massive gap between those players capabilities

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 31 Oct 2008 18:13

I think that, as long as have Kebe and Hunt, we would do better to make 4-4-2 work by settling on a central midfield pairing who develop an understanding and can do the job so as to win the ball, get it out wide and then put it in the box for Doyle. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that in the championship.

Our players are better than most in this division - we don't need Champ man tinkering, we need stability.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Oct 2008 19:54

Baines I think that, as long as have Kebe and Hunt, we would do better to make 4-4-2 work by settling on a central midfield pairing who develop an understanding and can do the job so as to win the ball, get it out wide and then put it in the box for Doyle. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that in the championship.

Our players are better than most in this division - we don't need Champ man tinkering, we need stability.

It only makes things worse in Champ man (now called FM fwiw, the new CMs are poor since the SI-Eidos split) so I can't see it working IRL. :)

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 03 Nov 2008 09:37

Negative_Jeff Almost any other formation apart from 4-5-1 (4-3-3) means relying more on the full backs to provide width going forward. I`m not sure Armstrong is up to this.

Sooner or later a system will need to be found to accomodate Matejovsky or discard him. A bit like Modric at Tottenham, I don`t think he can play in a hectic English style 4-4-2. Redknapp has already worked this out,and has a slightly more flexible approach to these things than Coppell.

I refer to my comments above and note that Coppell did indeed change the formation to 4-5-1 with the introduction of Matejovsky at Brizzle. Perhaps he has a more flexible apprach than I thought.
Did anyone notice that clever round the corner pass from Marek in front of the away support? A quality player without a doubt.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 03 Nov 2008 11:28

Negative_Jeff
Negative_Jeff Almost any other formation apart from 4-5-1 (4-3-3) means relying more on the full backs to provide width going forward. I`m not sure Armstrong is up to this.

I refer to my comments above and note that Coppell did indeed change the formation to 4-5-1 with the introduction of Matejovsky at Brizzle. Perhaps he has a more flexible apprach than I thought.
Did anyone notice that clever round the corner pass from Marek in front of the away support? A quality player without a doubt.

When we were 4-0 up?

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 03 Nov 2008 11:39

Yes exactly, time to experiment. I think we have until January to intigrate Marek into the team.

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1