Minutes silence...

123 posts
weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Minutes silence...

by weybridgewanderer » 10 Nov 2008 12:10

Royal Lady No you didn't miss it. I was very surprised, and saddened, that the club didn't have one. I noticed they had one at the Arsenal game and as I said on the other thread, I can only think that it was a Premier League directive and not a FL one to have the minute's silence. But when we have had minute's silences in the past for dead footballers, people killed in terrorist attacks etc, then the minute silence for remembering all those who had died in fighting for this country's freedom should be mandatory imo.

Write to customer.service@readingfc.co.uk

Shaka's Giant Hands

by Shaka's Giant Hands » 10 Nov 2008 12:31

LoyalRoyalFan No minutes silence was digusting.

Agree, minutes silence's are handed out far more reguarly than they deserve to be these days but the one occassion that really deserves it and it wasn't there!

I had hoped that it was coming before kick off but it just never came :cry:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Nov 2008 12:40

weybridgewanderer
Royal Lady No you didn't miss it. I was very surprised, and saddened, that the club didn't have one. I noticed they had one at the Arsenal game and as I said on the other thread, I can only think that it was a Premier League directive and not a FL one to have the minute's silence. But when we have had minute's silences in the past for dead footballers, people killed in terrorist attacks etc, then the minute silence for remembering all those who had died in fighting for this country's freedom should be mandatory imo.

Write to customer.service@readingfc.co.uk
Email sent.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 10 Nov 2008 12:56

Hopefully STAR will be able to push RFC for a prompt response on this matter.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Nov 2008 13:02

On the radio this morning, Graeme Murty said he didn't know why there wasn't a minute's silence either. He thought it was up to the ref and that maybe there'd be one next week.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Nov 2008 13:23

Sarah Star On the radio this morning, Graeme Murty said he didn't know why there wasn't a minute's silence either. He thought it was up to the ref and that maybe there'd be one next week.

At Bramall Lane??? that'll confuse the hell out of everyone!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Nov 2008 13:29

The club have advised that there was no minute's silence as it is not FL policy to hold a minute's silence unless the game took place on Remembrance Sunday itself.

The club did however add that if supporters wanted the club to have a minute's silence at games played nearest to the 11th November they should let the club know and they would discuss the matter with the powers that be.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 10 Nov 2008 13:33

I was at Stockport when we played Bristol City 9 days ago, and they had there rememberence silence then

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Nov 2008 13:38

Barry the bird boggler The club have advised that there was no minute's silence as it is not FL policy to hold a minute's silence unless the game took place on Remembrance Sunday itself.

The club did however add that if supporters wanted the club to have a minute's silence at games played nearest to the 11th November they should let the club know and they would discuss the matter with the powers that be.
What "powers that be"? Other FL clubs decided to hold a minute's silence, so who do RFC have to speak to??

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 10 Nov 2008 13:40

Can't we do 2 minutes next year?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 10 Nov 2008 13:52

Sarah Star On the radio this morning, Graeme Murty said he didn't know why there wasn't a minute's silence either. He thought it was up to the ref and that maybe there'd be one next week.

Graeme Murty, professional footballer for how long? He should've known

Never trusted the Scots anyway, let them have their independence

gh7901

by gh7901 » 10 Nov 2008 13:57

This was pretty out of order

The club should just hold their hands up and admit it was a mistake not to have one, no bollocks about the supporters having to request it. If they had just done one, who would have actually complained??

Actually, being HNA, someone would have

working class hero

by working class hero » 10 Nov 2008 14:01

Barry the bird boggler The club have advised that there was no minute's silence as it is not FL policy to hold a minute's silence unless the game took place on Remembrance Sunday itself.

That excuse ranks about as believable as the dog ate my homework....

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 10 Nov 2008 14:06

Am I the only one who really couldn't give a shiny shite?

My son is a cub scout so we took part in the local Remembrance Day parade and service. We observed a two minute silence. Said service was, incidentally, open to the public.

I believe many folk, myself included, will further choose to observe the traditional two minute silence at 11.00 on 11/11.

Do we need a third opportunity to show our respect? Can we only do so when the club arrange it for us?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 10 Nov 2008 14:08

I guess some people want the club to publicly acknowledge the event, beyond - presumably - buying a big box of poppies for all the staff to wear.

66DD

by 66DD » 10 Nov 2008 14:21

That Friday Feeling Am I the only one who really couldn't give a shiny shite?

My son is a cub scout so we took part in the local Remembrance Day parade and service. We observed a two minute silence. Said service was, incidentally, open to the public.

I believe many folk, myself included, will further choose to observe the traditional two minute silence at 11.00 on 11/11.

Do we need a third opportunity to show our respect? Can we only do so when the club arrange it for us?

I agree with you entirely.

It wasn't Remembrance Sunday and it wasn't Armistice Day, so to my mind a period of silence wasn't necessary.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Nov 2008 14:25

Has anyone else done anything in the last week or so at which a minute's silence wasn't observed ?

I went for a curry on Saturday evening and everyone chatted throughout.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 10 Nov 2008 14:25

My friend and I were probably snoring at 11am yesterday.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 10 Nov 2008 14:26

rabidbee I guess some people want the club to publicly acknowledge the event, beyond - presumably - buying a big box of poppies for all the staff to wear.

There was a big poppy on the scoreboard.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Nov 2008 14:27

Sun Tzu Has anyone else done anything in the last week or so at which a minute's silence wasn't observed ?

I went for a curry on Saturday evening and everyone chatted throughout.
Blimey - you are quite some apologist for RFC these days. :roll: It was the DAY before Remembrance Sunday - it was a home game - loads of other clubs observed it - why SHOULDN'T RFC have followed suit?

123 posts