Minutes silence...

123 posts
Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Minutes silence...

by Sarah Star » 10 Nov 2008 14:29

Sun Tzu Has anyone else done anything in the last week or so at which a minute's silence wasn't observed ?

I went for a curry on Saturday evening and everyone chatted throughout.

Last year, I think, I was in Tesco's at 11am on the 11th of November when they announced that there would be a minutes silence. I could go down there to see if they do it again, if you like.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 10 Nov 2008 14:29

Good on Reading for the 90 minutes silence through the Derby game.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Nov 2008 14:34

Royal Lady
Sun Tzu Has anyone else done anything in the last week or so at which a minute's silence wasn't observed ?

Blimey - you are quite some apologist for RFC these days. :roll: It was the DAY before Remembrance Sunday - it was a home game - loads of other clubs observed it - why SHOULDN'T RFC have followed suit?

I don't know, why shouldn't they ?

You and your hubby are the ones with all the answers.

I'm not bothered whether they did or not as personally I observed the silence at 11am on Sunday along with the rest of the country so don't feel I've let down the memory of those who died.

I'm sure you'll explain what determines how many times people should observe a period of silence.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Nov 2008 14:39

Sun Tzu
Royal Lady

Blimey - you are quite some apologist for RFC these days. :roll: It was the DAY before Remembrance Sunday - it was a home game - loads of other clubs observed it - why SHOULDN'T RFC have followed suit?

I don't know, why shouldn't they ?

You and your hubby are the ones with all the answers.

I'm not bothered whether they did or not as personally I observed the silence at 11am on Sunday along with the rest of the country so don't feel I've let down the memory of those who died.

I'm sure you'll explain what determines how many times people should observe a period of silence.
Firstly, Schards has made no comment on this or any other thread about the lack of a minute's silence. Secondly, I'm not the only one to feel it was wrong, and I didn't start this thread.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Nov 2008 14:44

Royal Lady Firstly, Schards has made no comment on this or any other thread about the lack of a minute's silence. Secondly, I'm not the only one to feel it was wrong, and I didn't start this thread.

Well firstly you made an accusation against me despite the fact that I'd made no comment for or against.

Secondly I didn't say you were the only one, and I didn't start this thread either.

So you made a totally irrelevant and incorrect observation for reasons best known only to yourself.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 10 Nov 2008 14:50

It's rude to talk with your mouth full.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Nov 2008 15:53

Fair point !

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 10 Nov 2008 16:49

gh7901 This was pretty out of order

The club should just hold their hands up and admit it was a mistake not to have one, no bollocks about the supporters having to request it. If they had just done one, who would have actually complained??

celtic fans?
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... 902396.ece

as a result of their inability to ensure their support remained silent, Celtic broke with tradition and had a minutes applause this weekend

around 200 celtic fans left the stadium and protested outside the ground

this despite the fact many irish died alongside the british army during the first world war

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 10 Nov 2008 23:39

Wow, that's pretty pathetic :roll:

Aside from that, I really hate this "minute's applause" crap. IMO it is just a lazy way to avoid the embarassment of finding out your fans are idiots. It has nowhere near the impact of silence which, in our noisy world, sounds immense, and really clarifies your thoughts.

As for those who question why should RFC have a silence, when there is the official one on Remembrance Sunday? I'd argue that it's often pretty hard to observe that one. Either you forget, or there's too many distractions around, or it simply has little impact because you're by yourself. A football stadium, where thousands of all ages are gathered, is the perfect place to join in that tribute. It was probably just thoughtlessness on the part of RFC, but as a so-called "community" club, they really should shown some initiative :x

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 10 Nov 2008 23:39

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 11 Nov 2008 10:14

I think it would be nice if there was a minutes silence before every single football match, but I wasn't too bothered that there wasn't one last Saturday.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Nov 2008 10:21

I emailed the club, expressing my sadness that the Club had not instigated the one minute silence on Saturday, but they have not replied. I have now emailed STAR as per the link above and given my views on that, the memorial garden and detailed what happened (as I saw it) on Saturday with the cars leaving the car park while hundreds of people were still exiting the ground.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 11 Nov 2008 10:48

Thanx!

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 11 Nov 2008 10:59

royal goof

by royal goof » 11 Nov 2008 12:22

Royal Lady I emailed the club, expressing my sadness that the Club had not instigated the one minute silence on Saturday, but they have not replied. I have now emailed STAR as per the link above and given my views on that, the memorial garden and detailed what happened (as I saw it) on Saturday with the cars leaving the car park while hundreds of people were still exiting the ground.

I have also not received a reply from the club re: minutes silence..

Email also on its way to STAR

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 Nov 2008 17:37

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Nov 2008 17:43

They let the Army sell poppies on Saturday - so that's ok then. :roll:

working class hero

by working class hero » 11 Nov 2008 19:59

Royal Lady They let the Army sell poppies on Saturday - so that's ok then. :roll:

And the fact this was happening should have reminded someone that silence shows RESPECT. We show it for refs but not for millions of fallen victims of war....

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 11 Nov 2008 20:05

My criteria for a minute's silence is that it should have directly affected the club, or football in general. In this instance I think the club should have done two things:

a) held a minute's silence
b) listed the names of RFC players who've died in service in the programme, on the scoreboard or both.

(On that note perhaps one of our resident stattos can confirm how many RFC players died in WW1, and who they were?)

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 11 Nov 2008 20:06

I'll rarely criticise the club, as things are never quite as simple as fans think they are.

However, in this particular instance, I have to say Reading FC got it wrong.
Why can't they just come out and either admit they got it wrong, or more likley what really happened, someone forgot to actually organise it.

We now live in an age where we all have to be seen to doing the right thing and being so PC correct that the country is in danger of disappearing up it's own arse, but then Reading FC go and commit a schoolboy error like this.

Idiots.

123 posts