Academy player dies

177 posts
SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Academy player dies

by SLAMMED » 24 Nov 2008 00:12

Gordons Cumming
OLLIE KEARNS 14 years ago I was playing in non league football when one of our players was killed in a car crash at 21 years of age. The emotions were very similar to what we have seen this week and everyone at the club was deeply upset. At our first match after his funeral a minutes silence was held before kick off and we all wore black arm bands. Mine fell off after about 10 minutes because the tape wouldn't stick to a shirt with sweat on it.
I think what happened yesterday was simply a repeat of that and I honestly believe that not a single player at Reading that would do anything disrespectful in any way.
And further thanks to the Saints fans. You did your club proud.

Voice of reason.

However, the behaviour of the Saints fans in the South stand left alot to be desired during the game.

What did the saints fans do?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 24 Nov 2008 08:55

By all accounts there were a record number of ejections, assaults on staff and they generally were a right pain. Bunch of 15 year olds who'd had half a shandy and thought they were going to take on the world.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Nov 2008 12:05

Whatever the reason the armbands were discarded it would not have been due to a lack of respect for Stewart McEwan and his family.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Nov 2008 12:22

Royal Rother Whatever the reason the armbands were discarded it would not have been due to a lack of respect for Stewart McEwan and his family.

Whilst they clearly didn't intend to send out that message, it could have been taken that way.

I can't think of any sensible reason as to why the Reading players shouldn't have been able to keep their armbands on throughout the game. The Southampton players didn't appear to have any problems with theirs.

knights_1990

by knights_1990 » 24 Nov 2008 12:43

Bad bad news. Really glad the club showed there regards for him.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 24 Nov 2008 12:46

I found the past week quite emotional really. And standing there watching the academy youngsters line up, and then the lads parents, very sad indeed.
In fact my mood changed completely and I wasn't enjoying sitting there. The game was crap, the players were blaming each other just like last season, and I was frezing cold. So at half time I just went home.
Never done that before, but I didn't fancy being there at all.

RIP Stewart.

BigSCOT

by BigSCOT » 24 Nov 2008 16:40

Any fans thinking of sending flowers to Stewarts funeral this Firiday 28th November have been asked by his parents to make a donation to the
Welsh Air Ambulance instead

link is

http://www.justgiving.com/stewart-mcewan

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 24 Nov 2008 18:13

Deathy I found the past week quite emotional really. And standing there watching the academy youngsters line up, and then the lads parents, very sad indeed.
In fact my mood changed completely and I wasn't enjoying sitting there. The game was crap, the players were blaming each other just like last season, and I was frezing cold. So at half time I just went home.

RIP Stewart.

Tbf that's probably what i would've done if i would've been there.
The past weekend has been rubbish and i think it was mainly due to the passing of young Stewart and maybe that did affect the way they players played. If i remember, while i was listening to the radio on Saturday and applauding at home, after the applauding had finished the commentators did say that Reading players found that all very emotional and that they had to concentrate on the match...seems like it all did affect them if Radio commentators noticed it.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 24 Nov 2008 18:50

S09Royal
Deathy I found the past week quite emotional really. And standing there watching the academy youngsters line up, and then the lads parents, very sad indeed.

RIP Stewart.

The past weekend has been rubbish and i think it was mainly due to the passing of young Stewart and maybe that did affect the way they players played. If i remember, while i was listening to the radio on Saturday and applauding at home, after the applauding had finished the commentators did say that Reading players found that all very emotional and that they had to concentrate on the match...seems like it all did affect them if Radio commentators noticed it.

In no disrespect to Stewart, they are proffesional athletes, and mentally they should be prepared for anything to play at their best

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 24 Nov 2008 19:13

SLAMMED
S09Royal

RIP Stewart.

In no disrespect to Stewart, they are proffesional athletes, and mentally they should be prepared for anything to play at their best

A simple concept but far from reality. The death of someone either very close or just part of the life you lead can impact people in various ways. I was quite emotional in the minutes applause especially as I had my two youngs boys with me even though I'd never met or heard of Stewart. There but for the grace of god go I was just one thought in my mind as I looked down on his parents. It's just something that nobody can prepare for mentally truth be told.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 24 Nov 2008 19:20

SLAMMED

Surely they are first and foremost human beings, and being paid to play a sport has never meant you are removed from nerves, emotion or any other human frailty. If as you say being 'professional' meant that you were able to behave like a robot then sport woul dbe very dull - although technically superb.

Whether the players were affected by Stewart's death I have no idea but i can't accept that sportsmen never find their performances influenced by factors beyond the game - in positive and negative ways,.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 24 Nov 2008 21:28

Sun Tzu
SLAMMED

Surely they are first and foremost human beings, and being paid to play a sport has never meant you are removed from nerves, emotion or any other human frailty. If as you say being 'professional' meant that you were able to behave like a robot then sport woul dbe very dull - although technically superb.

Whether the players were affected by Stewart's death I have no idea but i can't accept that sportsmen never find their performances influenced by factors beyond the game - in positive and negative ways,.

agreed, but i think the poor performance was alot more to do with effort and work rate.
Anyway, like many have said this has been talked into too much.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 24 Nov 2008 23:01

Man Utd froze and lost after the 50th anniversary of Munich last year in the Manchester derby. Not looking for excuses, maybe just a reason?

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 25 Nov 2008 01:05

S09Royal

RIP Stewart.

The atmosphere definatelly was not the same as it usually is. Normally there's an air of anticipation for the game, yet saturday felt as if we were waiting for something else. Not quite knowing what to expect.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 25 Nov 2008 09:52

The kids in front of me were quite vocal at the start of the game, but once Saints scored they seemed stunned into silence for the rest of the game.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 25 Nov 2008 10:22

RoyalBlue
Royal Rother Whatever the reason the armbands were discarded it would not have been due to a lack of respect for Stewart McEwan and his family.

Whilst they clearly didn't intend to send out that message, it could have been taken that way.

I can't think of any sensible reason as to why the Reading players shouldn't have been able to keep their armbands on throughout the game. The Southampton players didn't appear to have any problems with theirs.

The Southampton players were wearing different shirts - obviously - maybe the armbands adhered to whatever material the Southampton player were wearing, better than it did to the Reading shirts.

I don't see how you could be expected to play at your best with an armband continually slipping down to your elbow. Yeh, I know, Reading weren't playing at their best.

Maybe they should have sewn them on at half time, but you could understand if the team and the management had other things on their mind by then.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 25 Nov 2008 10:45

There is a simple answer to this armband problem - heat seal (like the shirt printing) a black band around one sleeve.

177 posts