Please give Henry a chance

141 posts
loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Please give Henry a chance

by loyalroyal4life » 08 Dec 2008 16:50

Great Knolly I can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but it's got to be worth trying Marek on the right. He deserves a chance for his patience and talent. Henry can wait a bit longer. If it works, the only problem will be: what to do when Kebe's back.

no problem cos kebe will be back sooner than everyone thinks

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Dec 2008 16:56

Hoop Blah
SCIAG But there have rarely been chances to bring him on when the game hasn't been "won".

There would've been if Coppell had enough faith to include him on the bench instead of an extra defender for those games when Kebe has looked less than convincing.

I agree with Scarface that Coppell doesn't quite trust Henry yet, but I hope he gets his chance tomorrow night.

what games were they?
:wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Dec 2008 16:59

brendywendy
Hoop Blah
SCIAG But there have rarely been chances to bring him on when the game hasn't been "won".

There would've been if Coppell had enough faith to include him on the bench instead of an extra defender for those games when Kebe has looked less than convincing.

I agree with Scarface that Coppell doesn't quite trust Henry yet, but I hope he gets his chance tomorrow night.

what games were they?
:wink:

In my mind pretty much all of them!!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Dec 2008 17:02

you are wrong

HTH!

seriously though, i cant see how its possible to view kebes contribution as anything other than a decent success for us this season
been the source of the majority of our chances from open play, either directly or indirectly
pur plenty of good balls into the box on a plate for the strikers, caused much panic in the opposition defences, and has added to his game in terms of effort, tackling and tracking back.
only in terms of shooting has he been any where near abject, and that may well be put to bed after he scored a peach the other day

one of us must be totally blinkered!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Dec 2008 17:17

brendywendy one of us must be totally blinkered!

I don't totally doubt his overall contribution to the season so far, I just don't rate his ability and he isn't my cup of tea.

I'd question the number of balls he's put on a plate etc, but he does scare defenders with his pace. Personally I don't think they should be quite so scared having seen what he actually does with the position he gets into most of the time....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Dec 2008 17:55

Hoop Blah

I don't totally doubt his overall contribution to the season so far, I just don't rate his ability and he isn't my cup of tea.

I'd question the number of balls he's put on a plate etc, but he does scare defenders with his pace. Personally I don't think they should be quite so scared having seen what he actually does with the position he gets into most of the time....

just not sure how you can be missing the crosses/end product
sure not with every run he does, but enough in each game to score us a goal or two, ill happily forgive the time he treads on the ball and leaves it behind in exchange for the rest.
& surely the numbers are indesputable-just check the assist charts.

peaple are just different i suppose

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 08 Dec 2008 18:01

Hoop Blah

You're a mug if you do not value Kebe's contribution to the team this season.He has been instrumental in so many attacks this season.I bet john Halls was more your cup of tea.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Dec 2008 18:17

Royalshow
Hoop Blah

You're a mug if you do not value Kebe's contribution to the team this season.He has been instrumental in so many attacks this season.I bet john Halls was more your cup of tea.

Well done, very constructive post. I think you'll find I agreed that his overall contribution was pretty good so far but personally I prefer a player who is a little more consistent, intelligent and a bit more proficient in the basics of the game. Those kind of players tend to have longer more fruitful careers and can perform better against better opposition.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Dec 2008 18:19

Kebe has been excellent this season and is in third place on the Championship assists tables the last time I looked. Surely that means he does have an excellent end product!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Dec 2008 18:46

andrew1957 Kebe has been excellent this season and is in third place on the Championship assists tables the last time I looked. Surely that means he does have an excellent end product!

It all depends on how many chances he actually creates and how good his team mates are at on getting on the end of them.

I can picture in my mind one 'assist' where Kebe pulled the ball back for one forward, I think Doyle, and he missed him by putting the ball slightly behind him but got lucky that another, I think Hunt, managed to get on the end of it and score. Conversly, the pull back for Cisse's goal the other was perfect.

Stats can be very misleading in football.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 08 Dec 2008 18:55

Kebe's card will be rescinded. Henry will keep his place on the bench.
This thread is now pointless. :cry:

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 09 Dec 2008 00:29

Hoop Blah
andrew1957 Kebe has been excellent this season and is in third place on the Championship assists tables the last time I looked. Surely that means he does have an excellent end product!

It all depends on how many chances he actually creates and how good his team mates are at on getting on the end of them.

I can picture in my mind one 'assist' where Kebe pulled the ball back for one forward, I think Doyle, and he missed him by putting the ball slightly behind him but got lucky that another, I think Hunt, managed to get on the end of it and score. Conversly, the pull back for Cisse's goal the other was perfect.

Stats can be very misleading in football.

If you get to the line and put the ball in the right area you deserve credit for the assist. End of.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2008 09:23

EP suggesting this morning that Henry has gotten the nod should the appeal fail later today.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 09 Dec 2008 09:32

rhroyal If you get to the line and put the ball in the right area you deserve credit for the assist. End of.

Yep, when Murty was on the TV the other day he was talking about areas that they are told to hit as players - Kébé puts the ball into those areas he knows the boss has told his team mates to be, and as such has contributed enormously to Reading's attacking play this season.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Dec 2008 09:34

Stranded EP suggesting this morning that Henry has gotten the nod should the appeal fail later today.

Good. TBH that means there are positives whichever way the appeal goes. If it is rescinded, then arguably our best attacking midfielder can play, if not then Henry gets a deserved chance.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 09 Dec 2008 10:52

Not knowing much about Henry I have just gone through the whole of this thread to try to find out what sort of player he is and I am still none the wiser. So if anybody knows;
Is he quick?
Does he beat a man on the outside, inside or both?
Is he an outside to in winger(Joe Cole) or inside to out (Wright Phillips)?
Does he like taking the ball in tight situations (Glen Little) or needs to be in space?
Can he put in a shift up and down the line for ninety minutes (Stephen Hunt)?
Does he specialize in free kicks and corners?
Does he get to the line to cross or does he cross from deep with swerve?
Any aerial threat on the far post fo crosses from the left?

On the face of it, without knowing fitness levels etc, I believe the case for playing a proven quality international (Matejovsky) over the obvious desire to see the promotion of a home grown young talent (Henry) is compelling and if it requires a slight tweak in tactics then so be it. On the other hand if Henry plays and proves to tick lots of boxes from the above, I will hold my hands up.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 09 Dec 2008 11:36

All those questions - are you the Blackpool assistant manager of what?

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 09 Dec 2008 11:37

Well will no by tonight wont we!

if kebes red card is succesfully appealed he has to start Henry is nothing comapred to him and i gurantee will score less goals

Henry will get his chance

Cardiff away in the Cup

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 09 Dec 2008 11:43

bishbosh92 Well will no by tonight wont we!

if kebes red card is succesfully appealed he has to start Henry is nothing comapred to him and i gurantee will score less goals

Henry will get his chance

Cardiff away in the Cup

Don't underestimate Henry...he could well save our skin tonight if Kebe's appeal isn't overturned. :cry:
Saying that, i don't think he'd start ahead of Bryn or Marek. But that's just my POV and i hope Kebe is able to play for us tonight.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2008 11:57

sheshnu
rhroyal If you get to the line and put the ball in the right area you deserve credit for the assist. End of.

Yep, when Murty was on the TV the other day he was talking about areas that they are told to hit as players - Kébé puts the ball into those areas he knows the boss has told his team mates to be, and as such has contributed enormously to Reading's attacking play this season.

I agree with that. It's the Coppell way of playing to the percentages that served his Palace side so well.

However, there is a big difference between that and pulling the ball back aiming for one teammate and picking out another by virtue of a poor pass though.

To be fair, his pull back for Doyle's goal at Cardiff (if my memory is right) was also pretty spot on. It's the high number of basic errors that annoy me. Compare Kebe to the likes of Ledley, Kightly, Larsson and Routledge and you'll see the gaps in his game that just make him a player I don't rate that highly.

141 posts