New policy in Y26

297 posts
The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New policy in Y26

by The 17 Bus » 14 Dec 2008 11:00

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xqh6ZTi2lP8

worth having a look at the rest of his vids!!!!!!!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Dec 2008 11:51

The 17 Bus PS their manager haas gone down in my estimations after seeing this on WK,

He moved from Glentoran to Burnley, a far cry from his native city of London. 'Glenda' as Little became known was a key player in the Burnley side for many years, despite being frozen out during Chris Waddle's spell as the Clarets' manager. Waddle's assistant, Glenn Roeder famously commented that Little 'wasn't fit to lace Waddle's boots'.

My Clarets-supporting mate _still_ rabidly hates Waddle and Roeder.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Dec 2008 16:56

working class hero
Go support swindon and you will have a taste of a real fan base. All you have said is trying to make us look like the typical 'green street' crew. And it's a load of bollocks.

Grow up junior.

Green street is a sanitised version of what film makers would like to believe hooligans were like. And kids seem to aspire to being that 'hard'.
The peak hooligan years were the late 60s and 70s. No segregation and the away hooligans would pay to go into the home end in an attempt to 'take' it. Knives were a frequent weapon [makes you wonder why the media think knife crime is new!]. Bottles, lumps of wood, knuckledusters, darts - you name it it got used.

Really hard places to go were Stoke, Wolves, Newcastle, Anfield, The Manchester clubs, Brum, any Welsh club, Chelsea, West Ham - and probably Leeds [but as a Leeds fan I saw a different angle].

Y26 might like to think it is hard - but the fans from there would not last 2 minutes in the old style environment.
No I am not glorifying it - life is MUCH better now, but some perspective is needed.... :roll:

You really don't know what you are talking about. Y26 is not like this

The point about all this is not that anyone is condoning racist behaviour - far from it, but why pick on Y26?

It is no different from anywhere else and certainly not from Y25. If you think different you clearly haven't sat there much

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 14 Dec 2008 18:15

working class hero
Go support swindon and you will have a taste of a real fan base. All you have said is trying to make us look like the typical 'green street' crew. And it's a load of bollocks.

Grow up junior.

Green street is a sanitised version of what film makers would like to believe hooligans were like. And kids seem to aspire to being that 'hard'.
The peak hooligan years were the late 60s and 70s. No segregation and the away hooligans would pay to go into the home end in an attempt to 'take' it. Knives were a frequent weapon [makes you wonder why the media think knife crime is new!]. Bottles, lumps of wood, knuckledusters, darts - you name it it got used.

Really hard places to go were Stoke, Wolves, Newcastle, Anfield, The Manchester clubs, Brum, any Welsh club, Chelsea, West Ham - and probably Leeds [but as a Leeds fan I saw a different angle].

Y26 might like to think it is hard - but the fans from there would not last 2 minutes in the old style environment.
No I am not glorifying it - life is MUCH better now, but some perspective is needed.... :roll:

You think i believe the crap of green street? It makes me laugh. I heard all my dad's and his old mates storys about spurs vs west ham derbys and the like. All you have being saying is crap. Swindon you hear worse insults in the town end than you do at reading. And there not exactly solid. Muppet.

working class hero

by working class hero » 14 Dec 2008 18:22

I think the point I was making was that Y26 is not a hardcore bed of hooliganism. This may have eluded you. I am opposed to hooliganism, and have merely pointed out that hooliganism has largely died out.

However, there is a substantial amount of moronic behaviour still around. The Club can see it. There have been complaints. Posters on here have mentioned the racism.
So I think we might as well accept it is happening.

The solution taken is to close down the main trouble spots. Perhaps this is done to try and remove the idiots from their support? People are less likely to be well lairy if their cronies are not egging them on. As for it being better in Y25 or B16... well it would still be unacceptable. I reckon that in some areas they would be more likely to be reported though.

Merry Christmas.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 15 Dec 2008 18:25

At the Coventry game head tango doyle came up top to me and 3 mates in y25/y26. basically warned us about standing and then we had a conversation for the whole of half time.

he claims that Reading Borough Council provide a safety certificate for the stadium and therefore appear unannounced at games to observe whether stewards are ensuring supporters are seated. due to persistant standing at an earlier game the club was told to reduce the number of stewards manning y26, meaning fewer fans are allowed to sit in the block for safety regulations. this has happened in parts of the north stand too and away end.

its all down to RBC, not the clubs fault or stewards fault.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 15 Dec 2008 19:54

Sharpy At the Coventry game head tango doyle came up top to me and 3 mates in y25/y26. basically warned us about standing and then we had a conversation for the whole of half time.

he claims that Reading Borough Council provide a safety certificate for the stadium and therefore appear unannounced at games to observe whether stewards are ensuring supporters are seated. due to persistant standing at an earlier game the club was told to reduce the number of stewards manning y26, meaning fewer fans are allowed to sit in the block for safety regulations. this has happened in parts of the north stand too and away end.

its all down to the fans who insist on standing, not the clubs fault or stewards fault.

There, I've corrected it for you.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 18 Dec 2008 15:48

http://www.star-reading.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=192&Itemid=26
Meeting between RFC and Supporters concerning Y26 policy

Wednesday, 10 December 2008
Present for RFC Clive and Jackie, Julie and Andy representing stewards and briefly Graham Benham police liaison officer, and for STAR Paula and Michele with supporters Matt, Jim, Ann, Kathryn and Greg.

Clive started with thanks for coming as he respected people willing to discuss the issues rather than just criticise.

Matt stated that the change in policy in Y26 was concerning, Clive replied that today he had banned someone for racial abuse of a member of staff, there were also bannings for abuse of staff and abuse of away fans and alcohol has a part as people who are perfectly acceptable when sober can be completely unacceptable after a few drinks. He is aware that the vast majority of fans are brilliant but he has to deal with those that are not. The idea is to change the culture as a whole which has been successful since Elm Park when there was a fight somewhere in or around the ground every game and every game was policed and a lot of women and children were intimidated, to now where the Madejski Stadium should be a place everyone feels comfortable to come to a game. This season Y26 has changed from the preceeding seasons: people have migrated from elsewhere in the East stand without changing their tickets. Particular games have been very bad with some people in Y26 spending all game gesturing at the away fans. There has also been coin throwing and it is very hard to identify the culprit as the CCTV often catches the coin in flight but not who throws it. Therefore he had taken the decision to close Y26 to all but season ticket holder to identify who should be there and identify if they are the culprits or if it is the 'incomers'.

There is no need to stop supporting the team, in fact he wants Y26 to keep rocking, but he intends to separate, identify eject and ban those not worthy of supporting Reading.

There followed discussion about whether this is the best way to achieve this, with suggestions from the supporters present and explanation of some of the problems facing RFC from the club. It was understood that each view had strengths and weaknesses and that a perfect answer is not possible. It was agreed that all supporters need to help and try to influence those around them. The club is close to initiating a text service for supporters to report abuse during the game so that something can be done at the time (as used elsewhere successfully).

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 18 Dec 2008 16:01

Big C spot on as always

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 18 Dec 2008 18:20

I initially read as "G"!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Dec 2008 18:06

Skin http://www.star-reading.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=192&Itemid=26

Present for RFC Clive and Jackie, Julie and Andy representing stewards and briefly Graham Benham police liaison officer, and for STAR Paula and Michele with supporters Matt, Jim, Ann, Kathryn and Greg.

Clive started with thanks for coming as he respected people willing to discuss the issues rather than just criticise.

Matt stated that the change in policy in Y26 was concerning, Clive replied that today he had banned someone for racial abuse of a member of staff, there were also bannings for abuse of staff and abuse of away fans and alcohol has a part as people who are perfectly acceptable when sober can be completely unacceptable after a few drinks. He is aware that the vast majority of fans are brilliant but he has to deal with those that are not. The idea is to change the culture as a whole which has been successful since Elm Park when there was a fight somewhere in or around the ground every game

With respect to Mr Doyle, I would suggest the statement that there was a fight every game at Elm Park is something of an exaggeration! How long was he at Elm Park for anyway?

Huntley & Palmer Big C spot on as always

Is this yet another case of he of Sounness fame being mixed up with said Mr Doyle?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 22 Dec 2008 13:31

RoyalBlue
Skin http://www.star-reading.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=192&Itemid=26

Matt stated that the change in policy in Y26 was concerning, Clive replied that today he had banned someone for racial abuse of a member of staff, there were also bannings for abuse of staff and abuse of away fans and alcohol has a part as people who are perfectly acceptable when sober can be completely unacceptable after a few drinks. He is aware that the vast majority of fans are brilliant but he has to deal with those that are not. The idea is to change the culture as a whole which has been successful since Elm Park when there was a fight somewhere in or around the ground every game

With respect to Mr Doyle, I would suggest the statement that there was a fight every game at Elm Park is something of an exaggeration! How long was he at Elm Park for anyway?

Huntley & Palmer Big C spot on as always

Is this yet another case of he of Sounness fame being mixed up with said Mr Doyle?

I thought he was originall one of the people that got involved with the fights before he became a steward :?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 22 Dec 2008 13:49

Clive Doyle is an ex-copper

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 22 Dec 2008 18:53

Big Foot Clive Doyle is an ex-copper

and a twat!

working class hero

by working class hero » 22 Dec 2008 20:41

madreadingfan

and a twat!

Blimey! I am convinced by your cohesive argument. On the other hand it apparently takes one to know one....

fridays child

by fridays child » 22 Dec 2008 21:52

madreadingfan

and a twat!

and I expect you'll tell him that to his face (from 100 yards away)

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 22 Dec 2008 22:00

Y26 now available for Cardiff game - again, profit >> safety???

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 Dec 2008 23:13

M U R T Y Y26 now available for Cardiff game - again, profit >> safety???

In the duplicate thread of this in the STAR Forum, STAR Campaigns .....
As to the process of not selling Y26 until the rest of the stadium is sold, if you think about it this does achieve the club's objective pretty well. Their objective is to calm this area down and stop it being a flash-point. There are two ways of doing that - for the less well-attended games it's by not selling tickets in Y26 at all, and for the better-attended games it's selling that area to a cross-section of supporters, not particularly those who want to sit there for their own reasons. You might argue that that's poor for the "ordinary" supporters who find themselves in Y26, but the club would say that using that argument just supports their view that behaviour of some in Y26 is unacceptable.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 23 Dec 2008 07:34

That STAR Campaigns bloke is a bit of an old nag isn't he, Dirk?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Dec 2008 08:15

fridays child
madreadingfan

and a twat!

and I expect you'll tell him that to his face (from 100 yards away)

Why would you need to be that far away. Once again I do not believe Clive Doyle is 'Big Clive' (Goddard? and whilst Big Clive may be very big, it doesn't necessarily make him a real hard man!). Clive Doyle's most likely choice of attack would be a banning order!

M U R T Y Y26 now available for Cardiff game - again, profit >> safety???

That really is quite unbelievable!! The one game when it might be really beneficial to have a buffer zone!!

Do they not realise that the most likely trouble makers are unlikely to be season ticket holders but people who buy tickets on a casual basis and who can now get a ticket in Y26!!

297 posts