Back from the Game - Southampton

255 posts
Thames

Re: Back from the Game - Southampton

by Thames » 29 Dec 2008 19:15

Royal Lady Thames sat down on the front row for the whole of the second half. So why he's going on about standing up, I do not know.

I was sat in the front so I could make an easy exit. Me and my followers no longer care about Reading FC due to continued dissapointment in our own fans. We just go on a jolly up.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 29 Dec 2008 19:15

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
FiNeRaIn It matters to those who enjoy the spirit and atmosphere of football. Reading are one of the FEW clubs who have no respect for footballing tradition or saturday football culture.

Nice theory, but crap. How many any clubs do respect traditions, and what exactly do they do differently? What is it exactly that Liverpool or Cardiff do that Reading FC don't?

How many grounds do you visit on your travels and are genuinely impressed by the atmosphere?

It is my opnion id rather be stood with loud passionate supporters intent on having a good time rather than happy clappers who think we are real madrid fans- there to be entertained.

There's always been both sorts, even in the good old days of the 80s and before. That's when I did the majority of my away trips, and it was clear that there'd be one part of the ground where people sung, and that was it. Nobody else sang. The idea that in the old days everybody was singing away is just a myth. The difference was that back then the home fans would almost always outsing the away fans (yes, even at Reading) while now the reverse is true.

Atmosphere is one of the components that made english football so respected, all seater stadiums and fans like readings( the majority) are killing it.

like Reading's, and like nearly every club in the football league who has moved to a shiny all-seater stadium.

Go up and down the country and ask differant sets of supporters what their opinions are and what fanbases they have the most respect for- we will almost never be mentioned, not that it bothers you.
We didn't get any respect when our home support/atmosphere was better than that of nearly every ground we went to.

What our games do lack, more than singing in my book, is a real "buzz" of excitement about games. A guy from work, who doesn't even like football that much, says he was compelled to watch the second half of the cup tie v Man Utd a couple of years ago because he could feel the atmosphere coming out the tv. There wasn't all that much singing that day, but the fans were really into the game. Back in the elm park days, fans would start signing about 20 minutes before kick-off, and carry on for about as long afterwards. We've completely lost that tradition. There's just no build up in atmosphere and expectation any more.

Good post Rev. Its not just the Mad Stad...I was gobsmacked how quiet Goodison Park was when we played them back in February. No pre-match singing, no real chanting or atmosphere...very poor and you cannot get much more traditional than the toffees.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 29 Dec 2008 19:19

Cardiff did some pre match singing, reading fans dont, at least not at home, drown that twat out on the tannoy, now there's a challenge, any of you lot up for it??

Unlikely, the Southbank was buzzing for at least 20 mins before kick off, good old days, but now in the past.

Still we have Tom Hark!!

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Dec 2008 19:25

The 17 Bus Cardiff did some pre match singing, reading fans dont, at least not at home, drown that twat out on the tannoy, now there's a challenge, any of you lot up for it??

Alright then. I learnt a couple of new songs yesterday. I'm 'up for it'.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 29 Dec 2008 19:37

Reading will never have a loud and vocal support if every single action that individuals do is criticized 24 oxf*rd 7 by everyone else like it is now.One another note, families who bring Baloo the bear rugs,picnics and assorted fruit baskets are doing harm because they are ruining the game for the rest of us. You go to a game to support the team and cheer them on, not to sit in silence or slate them for the tiniest mistake.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Dec 2008 19:42

Royalshow Reading will never have a loud and vocal support if every single action that individuals do is criticized 24 oxf*rd 7 by everyone else like it is now.One another note, families who bring Baloo the bear rugs,picnics and assorted fruit baskets are doing harm because they are ruining the game for the rest of us. You go to a game to support the team and cheer them on, not to sit in silence or slate them for the tiniest mistake.

Not sure bringing 'Baloo the bear, rugs, picnics and assorted fruit baskets' stops you from being vocal. It's just one of those 'traditional' things to criticise like having a rug over your knees, isn't it?

We brought a bag of gingerbread cookies, crisps, assorted pies and two flasks of tea to the Cardiff game and were still singing/chanting every chance we got. My sister was so busy standing up and waving her fist in the air whilst shouting 'Off, off, off' at one point that the man beside her couldn't get past. It was quite funny though.
Last edited by Sarah Star on 29 Dec 2008 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Thames

by Thames » 29 Dec 2008 19:43

Sarah Star
Royalshow Reading will never have a loud and vocal support if every single action that individuals do is criticized 24 oxf*rd 7 by everyone else like it is now.One another note, families who bring Baloo the bear rugs,picnics and assorted fruit baskets are doing harm because they are ruining the game for the rest of us. You go to a game to support the team and cheer them on, not to sit in silence or slate them for the tiniest mistake.

Not sure bringing 'Baloo the bear, rugs, picnics and assorted fruit baskets' stops you from being vocal.

We brought a bag of gingerbread cookies, crisps, assorted pies and two flasks of tea to the Cardiff game and were still singing/chanting every chance we got. My sister was so busy standing up and waving her fist in the air whilst shouting 'Off, off, off' at one point that the man beside her couldn't get past. It was quite funny though.

I hope that last paragraph is a wind up. If your being serious, I'm cutting my season ticket up.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Dec 2008 19:45

So was it the chanting of 'Off, off, off' that makes you want to cut up your season ticket, Thames, or the thought of us bringing food to the match?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 29 Dec 2008 19:45

I agree, the items you bring don't stop you being vocal. This is going to be the same debate every single time though, Reading fans aren't vocal enough, and theres supposedly nothing that can change it, I do like the idea if unreserved seating so that the more 'vocal' fans can sit at the back, or front, or wherever, there were people telling other people to sit down at saints, shocking I know

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 29 Dec 2008 19:46

Sarah Star

Not sure bringing 'Baloo the bear, rugs, picnics and assorted fruit baskets' stops you from being vocal. It's just one of those 'traditional' things to criticise like having a rug over your knees, isn't it?

Next home game i'm going to take a mini stove,cutlery,a camping table and associated food 8) .

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Dec 2008 19:49

Royalshow Next home game i'm going to take a mini stove,cutlery,a camping table and associated food 8) .

LOL, you'd do a roaring trade in burgers

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 Dec 2008 19:50

Sarah Star So was it the chanting of 'Off, off, off' that makes you want to cut up your season ticket, Thames, or the thought of us bringing food to the match?

How dare you be middle-class AND middle-aged!

(P.S. I realised on saturday that I am now officially middle-aged, after I made a comment to my friend about all these girls out in town and not one of them wearing a jacket! Christ - it really is downhill at 30!)

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Dec 2008 19:52

Don't think I'm quite middle-aged yet...am I?

...fair cop on the middle-class bit though. :roll:
I've tried to resist it, but maybe I should embrace my middle-classness

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 Dec 2008 19:53

Sarah Star Don't think I'm quite middle-aged yet...am I?

...alright, fair cop on the middle-class bit. :roll:

I did almost put in a wink. Anyway, isn't the average mid-life point for a British woman something like 39?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Dec 2008 19:55

I'm 29, I'll have you know, and have been for many years, young man!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 Dec 2008 19:56

Sarah Star I'm 29, I'll have you know, and have been for many years, young man!

And what will you do when your kids turn 30?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Dec 2008 19:56

That's a long way off. I'm not thinking about it yet.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 Dec 2008 19:58

Quite right too. Can I order a gingerbeard man for the Watford game? I'm middle-class too.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Dec 2008 20:03

rabidbee Quite right too. Can I order a gingerbeard man for the Watford game? I'm middle-class too.

Actually, yes you can. I still have some gingerbread dough left as I was going to make two gingerbread houses but only had to make one in the end. I froze the remaining dough. I'll make some star cookies. Anyone else want one?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 Dec 2008 20:05

I want a gingerbeard man :evil:

255 posts