Cardiff FA Cup Match Thread

243 posts
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Cardiff FA Cup Match Thread

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Jan 2009 17:16

And I'm pig sick of w'@nkers like Tim Dellor moaning about our approach to cup games......................having to listen to him once a fortnight is a big incentive for getting an away season ticket......................if Lita could take his biggest fan with him when he leaves he might save me a few quid.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2009 17:17

Wycombe Royal I couldn't really care, in the last few seasons the cup has seemed pointless and does not have any of the magic it used to have.

Is that because our club doesn't bother?
Surely the achievements of Havant and Barnsley last season struck you as exciting?
Sothend going to Chelsea today and getting an equaliser in the very last minute.
7 goals at Forest Green.
Forest scoring 3 away at the richest club in the world and one of our old boys,Nathan scoring.
Even with Reading's dumbing down don't some of these results grab your boat?

H-Town Royal

by H-Town Royal » 03 Jan 2009 17:17

Wycombe Royal I couldn't really care, in the last few seasons the cup has seemed pointless and does not have any of the magic it used to have.

it doesn't have the magic b/c teams like us - unwilling to put the best team forward. With teams not looking at the games with importance takes all the integrity out of the Cup. This is what cause people not to care.
Last edited by H-Town Royal on 03 Jan 2009 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Jan 2009 17:19

Woodcote Royal And I'm pig sick of w'@nkers like Tim Dellor moaning about our approach to cup games......................having to listen to him once a fortnight is a big incentive for getting an away season ticket......................if Lita could take his biggest fan with him when he leaves he might save me a few quid.

Dellor is an absolute muppet and a middle clash posh w&nk, his voice and everything about him annoys me, however his comments on the FA cup is spot on, we are an embarassment to english football with our small time obnoxious * big mean rich clubs always win it* attitude. Its pathetic, its like we are having a strop because other teams have more money than us.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Jan 2009 17:19

Terminal Boardom And just think that we don't have to worry about a fixture backlog or increase the risk of suspensions and injuries. Do we really want to be looking at the possibility of playing something like 6-7 games in a 14 day period towards the back end of the season???

How would the FA Cup have that effect though?

How did Cardiff cope last season? Did they have this massive fixture pile up?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 03 Jan 2009 17:19

Terminal Boardom And just think that we don't have to worry about a fixture backlog or increase the risk of suspensions and injuries. Do we really want to be looking at the possibility of playing something like 6-7 games in a 14 day period towards the back end of the season???

If Derby put a run in the cup, with replays in R5 and R6, we would end up with a problem rearranging that away game.

Hopefully they will agree to moving it to the week after R5 if they get there. Still not ideal for us. One game at a time, simple really.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Jan 2009 17:25

FiNeRaIn
Woodcote Royal And I'm pig sick of w'@nkers like Tim Dellor moaning about our approach to cup games......................having to listen to him once a fortnight is a big incentive for getting an away season ticket......................if Lita could take his biggest fan with him when he leaves he might save me a few quid.

Dellor is an absolute muppet and a middle clash posh w&nk, his voice and everything about him annoys me, however his comments on the FA cup is spot on, we are an embarassment to english football with our small time obnoxious * big mean rich clubs always win it* attitude. Its pathetic, its like we are having a strop because other teams have more money than us.

The FA Cup is a complete irrelevance for this club compared to promotion and maintaining Premiership status. End of, to the tune of £30m+.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Jan 2009 17:28

Don't give a stuff about the Prem. Seen it, done it, bored with it.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Jan 2009 17:29

Woodcote Royal The FA Cup is a complete irrelevance for this club compared to promotion and maintaining Premiership status.

Why?

sam1
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by sam1 » 03 Jan 2009 17:29

Platypuss Don't give a stuff about the Prem. Seen it, done it, bored with it.

'greed.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 03 Jan 2009 17:30

It might be possible to argue that the increase in the prestige and 'size' of a club that a cup run would bring might be worth a lot over the longer term. Maybe not £30 million plus, but a reasonable fraction of it.

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 03 Jan 2009 17:30

FiNeRaIn

Except Dellor bottles out everytime when he has the chance to confront Coppell and the players when it comes to his views.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 03 Jan 2009 17:32

Woodcote Royal
FiNeRaIn

The FA Cup is a complete irrelevance for this club compared to promotion and maintaining Premiership status. End of, to the tune of £30m+.

Yeah lets be a shite mediocre Pem team, thats the target. It did us a lot of good last season , we took the Cup as a joke, Kitson made a twat of himself, again, then after we concentrated so hard on the Prem that we were dire and got deservedly relegated.

i prefer Gooding view that it disrupts the team, what was training for this week just gone, half of them for Watford and the rest for Cardiff??

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Jan 2009 17:33

Fat Leather Jacket
FiNeRaIn

Except Dellor bottles out everytime when he has the chance to confront Coppell and the players when it comes to his views.

To be fair, coppell doesnt do interviews to hear dellor's opinions and people would rather hear coppells views about the game than his. If it was upto me Id have gooding running the show and getting his own guests on.
Last edited by FiNeRaIn on 03 Jan 2009 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 03 Jan 2009 17:34

Woodcote Royal The FA Cup is a complete irrelevance for this club compared to promotion and maintaining Premiership status. End of, to the tune of £30m+.

And what, exactly, was so good about 'all of that money' we got last time out? I didn't see a £30m improvement in team or facilities, only more personal expense.
Give me an FA Cup final any day of he week.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Jan 2009 17:35

Platypuss Don't give a stuff about the Prem. Seen it, done it, bored with it.

I'm sure sure you're not on your own but our attendances suggest you are in the minority.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 Jan 2009 17:35

I don't see why so many people complain about our 'cup side' to be honest. SSC obviously feels certain players need a rest or else he wouldn't rest them would he? He's not putting out a different team just for the sake of it.

He obviously has faith in all of these squad guys do come in and do a job or else they wouldn't be playing for RFC and most of the starting XI today had played in the first team for spells this year, or in years past.

As for people jumping up and down saying we won't win anything by playing squad players, do you seriously believe we could win it with a full strength team? We didn't even win here in the league a few weeks ago (ok we had 10 men but still) Maybe we could focus on trying to win every cup competition we're in but if Doyle got crocked in a 2-0 defeat in a cup to Cardiff or in a 2-1 win away at Old Trafford to put us into a semi final for that matter would you still back SSC playing a full strength side? The transfer windows have helped make cups an unnecessary risk for managers of sides fighting for promotion.

On an even more simple level, how many times has a side from outside the top ten of the Premier League won the cup in the Premiership era? Try twice and even then it was a Pompy side secure in their Premiership status and then Everton back in 1995 who were still one of the biggest teams in the country. Yes Wimbledon winning the cup was great, so was Southampton et all but football has moved on so much now and any attempts to claim otherwise and we might as well move back to Elm Park.....

As for prestige value? What glory does a cup run get you after a fews days out and the build up? how many of us were sat here before this game saying "OMG we're playing the cup runners up!!!11!!" How often do you hear Boro fans going on about their two cup final defeats when they got relegated? Have Wycombe or Tranmere kicked on after their long cup runs? how about Leciester who won the Carling cup not once but twice in the last decade where are they now?

I take more pride in Reading being the biggest points scorers in a single season or pipping teams out over 46 games then being able to fluke our way to a cup semi final/final by pulling off 1 or 2 big results in a season.

Compare those brief moments of cup joy to the months when we thought we might be promoted and then the joy of getting there, the summer afterwards and then the whole of the Premier League experience. You'd honestly take a gamble risking players crucial to our league campaign in cup matches?

On a personal note some of the greatest Reading games I've seen we're cup games, the wins over Southampton in particular. However I can't remember many great cup games since we've moved to the Madejski. Ironically our recent success means that I don't sit and wait for the cup draw hoping we get a top team, if anything I want a minnow away.

I do hate the fact that the cup doesn't mean as much anymore but that has as much to do with the power of the biggest teams then the attitude of teams like Reading. Yes I'd love Reading to win a cup competition but until we reach that level of a stable Premier league side then sorry any cup progress is a bonus. I appreciate that the cup does have some magic for smaller teams but we'd struggle to be a big underdog unless we were playing a European challenging side.

Back on topic, none of this excuses a pretty poor performance today but it's not going to ruin my weekend like a 2-0 league defeat might.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Jan 2009 17:37

Woodcote Royal I'm sure sure you're not on your own but our attendances suggest you are in the minority.

You still haven;t ansered my question.. "The FA Cup is a complete irrelevance for this club compared to promotion and maintaining Premiership status"

Could you explain WHY please.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 03 Jan 2009 17:38

lets take the 1st PL season as an example..disrespect both cup competitions and not try to qualify for Europe because it might jepidise how PL survival hopes..fat lot of good that did..are we really going to try and win anything under SC?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 03 Jan 2009 17:39

Leicester won the Cup with a great manager, then he left, they got stitched up and went bust, there is no suggestion that would occur if we had cup success.

I bet Nick Ives does not post an opinion against the Coppell way on Monday.

243 posts