STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

831 posts
OLLIE KEARNS

Re: STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

by OLLIE KEARNS » 07 Jan 2009 14:45

I don't think his head is elsewhere. That's too easy a way of explaining someone playing poorly at any given moment in time. I don't think Shorey's was either. The issue with Shorey was that 07/08 was the first season that he had to defend first and foremost. Previous seasons we spent most of the time attacking and he is one of the best attacking full backs around. 07/08 his defensive frailties got cruelly exposed, notably his lack of pace and weakness at defending the far post area from crosses in open play. His England career ended the moment John Utaka gave him a 10 yard headstart at home to Pompey with Capello watching.
Hunty is a tremendous asset to our side but he isn't a £5m footballer. That's the real debate. If you were the manager and you got £5m for Hunty would you back yourself to spend that money with a net improvement to the team ? Assuming you were given it to spend of course :)

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Jan 2009 14:53

OLLIE KEARNS I don't think his head is elsewhere. That's too easy a way of explaining someone playing poorly at any given moment in time. I don't think Shorey's was either. The issue with Shorey was that 07/08 was the first season that he had to defend first and foremost. Previous seasons we spent most of the time attacking and he is one of the best attacking full backs around. 07/08 his defensive frailties got cruelly exposed, notably his lack of pace and weakness at defending the far post area from crosses in open play.

Pretty much go along with that. If there was one predominant reason for our relegation in my view it was the 2 hammerings at Pompey and Spurs. Our 2 full backs barely crossed the halfway line for the rest of the season and the goals virtually dried up.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 07 Jan 2009 14:56

Vision
OLLIE KEARNS I don't think his head is elsewhere. That's too easy a way of explaining someone playing poorly at any given moment in time. I don't think Shorey's was either. The issue with Shorey was that 07/08 was the first season that he had to defend first and foremost. Previous seasons we spent most of the time attacking and he is one of the best attacking full backs around. 07/08 his defensive frailties got cruelly exposed, notably his lack of pace and weakness at defending the far post area from crosses in open play.

Pretty much go along with that. If there was one predominant reason for our relegation in my view it was the 2 hammerings at Pompey and Spurs. Our 2 full backs barely crossed the halfway line for the rest of the season and the goals virtually dried up.

Such a shame really. Some of the football we played in the Spurs away game was exhilarating. Oh well.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 07 Jan 2009 14:59

Sun Tzu
Upper West Ginger
M U R T Y Shame, as I thought he was quite humble when Coppell rescued him from Bradford and inevitabally lower league football for the rest of his career.

Somewhat geographically challenged, methinks ...

Um, no. Totally accurate...

My mistake.
I thought M U R T Y was confusing Brentford with Bradford. I didn't realise SHunt had agreed to join Bradford just before we came in for him.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 07 Jan 2009 15:04

Archie's penalty
Vision

Such a shame really. Some of the football we played in the Spurs away game was exhilarating. Oh well.

Spurs A was the most entertaining game I've ever been too :) It comes back to the SC discussion we had previously about a Plan B. Do you remember when we were 2-1 up and Spurs brought on Defoe and another forward (can't remember who) ? They basically switched to play 4-2-4 and we made no adjustment to counter that. Great to watch though even if we did lose :) But, having lead 4-3, the last 20 minutes ultimately cost us our place in the Prem.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 07 Jan 2009 15:14

we signed Hunt from Brentford. He was on the motorway on his way to Bradford to sign when Coppell persuaded him to sign for us. There may have been a small time when he was actually unattached as Brentford released him, although im not sure.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 07 Jan 2009 15:21

OLLIE KEARNS Spurs A was the most entertaining game I've ever been too :) It comes back to the SC discussion we had previously about a Plan B. Do you remember when we were 2-1 up and Spurs brought on Defoe and another forward (can't remember who) ? They basically switched to play 4-2-4 and we made no adjustment to counter that. Great to watch though even if we did lose :) But, having lead 4-3, the last 20 minutes ultimately cost us our place in the Prem.

Yep an amazing game. I was watching on the internet but it was a crazy second half. I always think if we had held on to that 2-1 lead for 5-10 minutes we would have won - we were playing great at that part of the match. Then Murts messes up a clearance and its 2-2, they were in the ascendancy and it became a mental game. I agree with you though we needed to sure up the team when it was 2-1 and Copps didn't do that. It was games like that where we needed someone strong in the midfield.

Anyway I am glad we are doing so well this season. And I hope Shunt stays but would wish him luck if he goes.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jan 2009 15:33

I can only agree that some of the observations on this thread are excruciatingly embarrassing.

Whilst some of Stephen Hunt's "come and get me" remarks have been regrettable, until the credit crunch takes a greater toll on transfer fees, suggesting that a player who has performed well in the Prem and is still a major contributor for us this season is not worth £2.5m, is living proof of how little some of our fans know about this game.

Where is the evidence that Convey is technically superior? Hunt is one of those players who is happy to take a chance on fcuking something up on the off chance that it will come off. I would agree that he's often guilty of over doing this side of his game but the stats don't lie. Despite a dip in form, he's still one of the most effective wide midfielders in the country. Meanwhile, Bobby Convey looks to have run out of road at RFC.

For all the East Stand's salivation over Nicky Shorey, what makes his supposedly cultured left foot superior to Hunts?

For deadball strikes on goal just outside the box, Shorey is the clear winner but many of his corners were nothing less than dire whereas Hunt is probably our best exponent of the last decade.

As someone said earlier, £5m is not a lot for a player with Hunt's ability to deliver the goods, especially when he's already played at the top level and surprise, surprise!!! within days of the window opening it appears that atleast one top flight manager is prepared to pay the effective asking price.

I for one would be sad to see the back of the irrepressible Stephen Hunt but the ball is in his court if this offer is true. I can't believe Wigan represents that big a draw for him and would hope that he might decide stay put until the end of the season.

There are worthy replacements out there but I have grave doubts about our ability to persuade one of them to join us.................for starters, Surman is a Prem target.

Don't look at what Hunt gets wrong look at how much he gets right and how much we have gained from that this season, even when his over all game has been relatively poor.......................this is where his true value lies.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Jan 2009 16:01

I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting that Henry or Convey is good enough to hold down a place in our Championship team let alone a Premiership side are they?.
Over the past 18 months Hunt has performed in fits and starts,when he is good he is o.k. but when he is bad (as he was for the second half of last season,the start of this and in the past 6 or 7 games) he is dire.
Time will tell if any Premiership club is daft enough to pay big money for this player but what I would hope is that the club is ready to move quickly and spend good money if necessary.
Players move on and although my view is that there are plenty more out there who are actually better and might bring a more controlled style of play to our left side than Hunt now provides I respect those that think a runaround erratic and occasionally useful winger is worth having .
I am much more concerned about Kevin Doyle staying and if he were to leave I do feel that it would have a bigger impact on our promotion chances than the loss of the little hairy one.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jan 2009 16:33

Hunt's contribution is rarely dire even when his overall play is poor, which is why Wigan are not the only club considering forking out what is a relative snip for a player of Hunts capability.................as ever, it's Reading fans who under value their players.

If only Hunt would change his name to Shorey, acquire an absolutely useless right foot and enter a 12 month sulk, he would be guaranteed unbridled adulation.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 07 Jan 2009 16:40

Woodcote Royal Hunt's contribution is rarely dire even when his overall play is poor, which is why Wigan are not the only club considering forking out what is a relative snip for a player of Hunts capability.................as ever, it's Reading fans who under value their players.

If only Hunt would change his name to Shorey, acquire an absolutely useless right foot and enter a 12 month sulk, he would be guaranteed unbridled adulation.

For once I am in agreement with you Woodcote :shock:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Jan 2009 16:47

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 07 Jan 2009 16:52

I would be very sorry to see him go. During his time at Reading he has matured as a player, and our team would be significantly weaker without him. Yes, he has the occasional off day (and they can be quite woeful), but the good days far outweigh the bad. He is capable of playing in a decent mid-table Premier League team (and earning the wages that go with that role). Let us hope that Reading is that team, next season.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Jan 2009 18:00

Woodcote Royal Hunt's contribution is rarely dire even when his overall play is poor, which is why Wigan are not the only club considering forking out what is a relative snip for a player of Hunts capability.................as ever, it's Reading fans who under value their players.

Have you been to any games recently?
If, and IMHO it's a big "If" and may be just his agent talking things up,one of these Premier League sides are genuine (Everton never were) about paying £5 million for this type of player then the world really has gone mad.
BTW he already has a useless right foot (look back at those missed chances) so doesn't need to work on it and don't forget we only got £3 million for Shorey,a player capped by England,so to get £5 million for a reserve player for a mickey-mouse country like Ireland is clearly ludicrous and we should bite the hand off whoever might be dozy enough to pay it.
Just as important though is that whatever we get must be invested in new players as the quality that we now have in Premier League terms is (apart from Doyle) sadly lacking.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 07 Jan 2009 18:06

Tony Le Mesmer Ive read some tripe on this board, but this S Hunt slag thread is plain embarrassing.

Now i agree his form has dipped, i dont question that. I missed Soton away unfortunately, but i have seen 2 clips from the game. 1 was us scoring from a S Hunt free kick, the other was us coming within a whisker of us winning the game with a good a cross as you are likely to see at CCC level. Oh yes, a Hunt cross.

Boxing Day. we score last kick of the game. From a Hunt Corner was it?

week before, potential promotion decider, game at 1-1 and home side on top. Hunt assist, could win us promotion in then end. You could argue that was worth 6 points alone!

Even out of form, if he hadnt played in the last 6 weeks we could be back in the chasing pack.

Our team permormances almost totally mirror S Hunts performance. He plays well, we play well. He plays Bad, we play bad.

Anyone who thinks we should sell arguably our most influencial player, and replacing him with Henry of Convey, just becauce his current form is, apprently, poor then i pity your blinkered view of the footballing world.

Good post.

I dont understand why people are happy about possible transfer one of our better players, £5million in the bank is pretty useless at this time of the season. I would rather stick with a proven player (overvalued or not) than gamble on a new signing.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jan 2009 18:14

Victor Meldrew

If, and IMHO it's a big "If" and may be just his agent talking things up,one of these Premier League sides are genuine (Everton never were) about paying £5 million for this type of player then the world really has gone mad.
BTW he already has a useless right foot (look back at those missed chances) so doesn't need to work on it and don't forget we only got £3 million for Shorey,a player capped by England,so to get £5 million for a reserve player for a mickey-mouse country like Ireland is clearly ludicrous and we should bite the hand off whoever might be dozy enough to pay it.
Just as important though is that whatever we get must be invested in new players as the quality that we now have in Premier League terms is (apart from Doyle) sadly lacking.

You're mad.

Yes £5m is silly money for SHunt, but it's not how much the player's ability is worth, it's how much the player is needed by his club which sets a price.

And Hunt is far more than OK when he is good. He can be a match winner, even in the Premier League. When he is off form he is certainly not dire. He is passable I'd say. And I don't need to have gone to games recently to know that, because his recent assist record continues to speak for itself, regardless of how well he has performed throughout the rest of the game..

I don't get this ignore the corners and free kicks he takes arguement. Just because it isn't from open play doesn't mean it doesn't count. Look how few other teams have our set piece record! We Lose SHunt, we also lose the set piece threat, which frankly is one of the few things carrying us through games at the moment.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 07 Jan 2009 18:19

Woodcote Royal I can only agree that some of the observations on this thread are excruciatingly embarrassing.

Whilst some of Stephen Hunt's "come and get me" remarks have been regrettable, until the credit crunch takes a greater toll on transfer fees, suggesting that a player who has performed well in the Prem and is still a major contributor for us this season is not worth £2.5m, is living proof of how little some of our fans know about this game.

Where is the evidence that Convey is technically superior? Hunt is one of those players who is happy to take a chance on fcuking something up on the off chance that it will come off. I would agree that he's often guilty of over doing this side of his game but the stats don't lie. Despite a dip in form, he's still one of the most effective wide midfielders in the country. Meanwhile, Bobby Convey looks to have run out of road at RFC.

For all the East Stand's salivation over Nicky Shorey, what makes his supposedly cultured left foot superior to Hunts?

For deadball strikes on goal just outside the box, Shorey is the clear winner but many of his corners were nothing less than dire whereas Hunt is probably our best exponent of the last decade.

As someone said earlier, £5m is not a lot for a player with Hunt's ability to deliver the goods, especially when he's already played at the top level and surprise, surprise!!! within days of the window opening it appears that atleast one top flight manager is prepared to pay the effective asking price.

I for one would be sad to see the back of the irrepressible Stephen Hunt but the ball is in his court if this offer is true. I can't believe Wigan represents that big a draw for him and would hope that he might decide stay put until the end of the season.

There are worthy replacements out there but I have grave doubts about our ability to persuade one of them to join us.................for starters, Surman is a Prem target.

Don't look at what Hunt gets wrong look at how much he gets right and how much we have gained from that this season, even when his over all game has been relatively poor.......................this is where his true value lies.

Spot on. Too many pcunts without a footballing brain to appreciate what they have until its gone. Also the delusion that we will just replace him and that replacement will simply settle underlines the ignorance of some on here.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jan 2009 18:38

Victor Meldrew

Thanks for providing a wonderful example of the blinkered favouritism that pervades our fan base.

Even at his very best, Shorey's right foot was always extraordinarily poor; so bad that the minute he cut inside he had nowhere to go. Compare this with Hunt who is quite comfortable playing on the right.

While you lambasted Hunt for his recent poor form, there are no complaints about an entire season of dire performances from Shorey ; all largely because West Ham didn't think he was worth as much as Wigan have offered for Hunt and therefore failed to come back with an improved offer.

Whilst I would be happy to take the money if a viable replacement could be signed, Hunt has shown on many occasion that he is worth £5m to a Premiership team in need of a left sided midfieder. I'd expect him to play most weeks if he was signed by a middle Prem side and that's more than be said for Shorey who seems to have been relegated to Villa's 2nd string.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 07 Jan 2009 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Jan 2009 18:41

Odd to see how the same stuff was spouted about Shorey last season, not interested, crap right foot, and ignore the assists, so why was it ok to say Shorey should go, but not ok to say Hunt should go??

As with the past so long as Hunt is replaced, should he go, then there is no reason we should be weaker, Armstrong or Shorey Woodcote?? And pray tell us why.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Jan 2009 18:43

PS Nicky Shorey, involved in 12 out of 20 Prem games so far, not that bad really.

831 posts