Is this squad good enough to take us up to the premiership

Bath Hoops

Is this squad good enough to take us up to the premiership

by Bath Hoops » 09 Jan 2009 09:58

Wolves and Birmingham are strengthening their squads for the run in and seem committed to spending to get themselves up to the Premiership. So far we haven't appeared to do anything and even if we do I can't see us putting in a bid over 3 million on a player like Birmingham have done with Kris Boyd. So can we get up there without adding to the squad ? Coppell has said he is on the look out for a forward and with the prospect that we are going to lose Lita I'd agree we need another proven forward at least but would that be enough ?
Last edited by Bath Hoops on 09 Jan 2009 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Is still squad good enough to take us up to the premiership

by readingbedding » 09 Jan 2009 10:01

No problem.
Wouldn't bother me if we bought no one.
But we probably will, and that's ok too.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 09 Jan 2009 10:07

Of course the squad is good enough to go up in the pay offs and only time will tell if we can get automatic promotion. However I think Coppell's negative reactive attitude to transfer window and loan signings is a mistake and a lesson he doesn't seem to learn.

I hope he's doing everything possible to sign Surman, but the reality is he's probably waiting to see what happens with SHunt.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Jan 2009 10:10

A lot of what Reading do or don't do will be based on if other clubs come in for their players. If someone decides to try and sign Hunt, Lita or Doyle then I presume there are contingency plans and lists of players they could attemptto sign.

I'd really like Reading to get another good proven striker other than that the squad doesn't need much this season, mayyybe another winger but not essential.

IF they were to go up then unlike last time where the squad was clearly streets apart fromthe CCC with 106 points, the current squad isn't. A fair amount of investment would have to be made in particular at the back. But that's for another day.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 09 Jan 2009 10:36

Alan Partridge A lot of what Reading do or don't do will be based on if other clubs come in for their players. If someone decides to try and sign Hunt, Lita or Doyle then I presume there are contingency plans and lists of players they could attempt to sign.

Not a generally good tactic to deploy as a late offer and acceptance of terms will expose this club, leave us short , and could leave us financially beter off but physically worse off. The realisty is the secret beavers are probably out scouting for contingencies.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Jan 2009 10:40

Bath Hoops So far we haven't appeared to do anything

Why should they tell us what they're up to? If they appear to be doing nothing, doesn't mean they are doing nothing.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Jan 2009 10:46

royalexile
Not a generally good tactic to deploy as a late offer and acceptance of terms will expose this club, leave us short , and could leave us financially beter off but physically worse off.

We could always reject the offer.....

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 09 Jan 2009 10:49

As with all options - everything is possible. We might do f all in this window. Then again we might strengthen without selling. Or we might not. But then again we might.

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 09 Jan 2009 10:54

Thaumagurist*
Bath Hoops So far we haven't appeared to do anything

Why should they tell us what they're up to? If they appear to be doing nothing, doesn't mean they are doing nothing.
Thats true they could be doing it and the club don't like things to come out till its signed and sealed, but you generally get a sniff of some rumours. So far we've been linked with a French second division forward and a second division centre back, maybe my expectations are just abit higher than that.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 09 Jan 2009 10:57

Tommy Burns had a still squad. it often looked like we had eleven dustbins standing around the pitch.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jan 2009 12:33

royalexile
Alan Partridge A lot of what Reading do or don't do will be based on if other clubs come in for their players. If someone decides to try and sign Hunt, Lita or Doyle then I presume there are contingency plans and lists of players they could attempt to sign.

Not a generally good tactic to deploy as a late offer and acceptance of terms will expose this club, leave us short , and could leave us financially beter off but physically worse off. The realisty is the secret beavers are probably out scouting for contingencies.

Last time around we said that we'd be turning off the phones at a given time because any late bids would mean it was too late for us to replace them.

I'd presume we're going to employ a similar policy again and just risk upsetting a couple of players along the way.

I really hope we are in a position where we have contingency in place for anyone leaving, but I sometimes wonder!

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Is this squad good enough to take us up to the premiership

by who are ya? » 09 Jan 2009 12:36

Have Cork City got any players left that we can sign?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Jan 2009 12:36

Hoop Blah
royalexile

Last time around we said that we'd be turning off the phones at a given time because any late bids would mean it was too late for us to replace them.

I'd presume we're going to employ a similar policy again and just risk upsetting a couple of players along the way.

I really hope we are in a position where we have contingency in place for anyone leaving, but I sometimes wonder!

Actually, wasn't it that they would raise the prices at a given time rather than turn off the phones?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Jan 2009 12:37

Maybe

snapperjw

by snapperjw » 09 Jan 2009 12:39

I personally feel a major reason we got relegated from the Prem last season was we didn't strengthen the squad in the January transfer window. I really hope we don't make that mistake this time in our push to return.

I personally don't think the squad is good enough to take us to the premiership. At present they are looking good but we don't have the depth to keep this momentum going all the way through to May.

Also there is the worrying factor of loosing key players as well.. I hope that doesn't happen!!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jan 2009 12:40

Thaumagurist* Actually, wasn't it that they would raise the prices at a given time rather than turn off the phones?

Do you have to take everything quite so literally?

Yes I think you're right that Coppell or Hammond was quoted as saying the price would go up, but also that we'd stop doing business (thats transfer business not actually winding the club up and pulling out of the league!) at a certain time.

That's kind of what led to the 'myth' of Spurs making a bid for Doyle at the 11th hour (thats a saying Spacey, I don't know what exact time they apparently tried to make a bid).

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jan 2009 15:17

Bath Hoops Wolves and Birmingham are strengthening their squads for the run in and seem committed to spending to get themselves up to the Premiership. So far we haven't appeared to do anything and even if we do I can't see us putting in a bid over 3 million on a player like Birmingham have done with Kris Boyd. So can we get up there without adding to the squad ? Coppell has said he is on the look out for a forward and with the prospect that we are going to lose Lita I'd agree we need another proven forward at least but would that be enough ?

would you prefer we just made random unnsuccessful bids for players we wont actually get?

perhaps, and its just a guess, reading are doing their business behind closed doors as usual, and not using the national tabloid press to do it

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 09 Jan 2009 15:20

Can we get promoted?

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 09 Jan 2009 15:47

brendywendy
Bath Hoops Wolves and Birmingham are strengthening their squads for the run in and seem committed to spending to get themselves up to the Premiership. So far we haven't appeared to do anything and even if we do I can't see us putting in a bid over 3 million on a player like Birmingham have done with Kris Boyd. So can we get up there without adding to the squad ? Coppell has said he is on the look out for a forward and with the prospect that we are going to lose Lita I'd agree we need another proven forward at least but would that be enough ?

would you prefer we just made random unnsuccessful bids for players we wont actually get?

perhaps, and its just a guess, reading are doing their business behind closed doors as usual, and not using the national tabloid press to do it
So if we end up doing nothing will you be happy ?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Jan 2009 15:51

Bath Hoops So if we end up doing nothing will you be happy ?

Yes, if it means we still have the same squad as it's got us to second place, didn't it?