Well done Leroy

223 posts
rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Well done Leroy

by rg6royal » 10 Jan 2009 11:40

brendywendy Great to see him back at his best last night. He worked tirelessly when the rest of the team may have been winding down,was seen in every quadrant of the pitch,won a free kick or two,and scored a goal reminiscent of his finest hour at man city.
We know,lita knows and coppel knows he needs games to function propely,and he grows when he scores and thats what norwich was about.his attitude looks shithot,and 7 goals for a struggling team puts him on a par with hunty haul imo. And i couldnt give a monkeys about 300k either. And long was always a great 4th choice,he had his chance at 3,and could go on loan now if it was up to me,just for the games

'greed with everything there..

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Jan 2009 11:47

Leroy lita- just enjoys scoring goals.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2009 12:04

brendywendy Great to see him back at his best last night. He worked tirelessly when the rest of the team may have been winding down,was seen in every quadrant of the pitch,won a free kick or two,and scored a goal reminiscent of his finest hour at man city.

As it happens I've never been one to doubt his effort, just his ability, but was very pleased to see him score as he is obviously a confidence player but that accolade above is so over the top it's a little cringeworthy.

He worked tireslessly for 15 minutes? Fantastic - what a bloody hero!

Remember that header he missed? No striker at his "best" would have put in such a feeble effort when presented with such an opportunity - almost completely unchallenged (before the corner was taken, during its flight and as he made contact), to put it that wide was Sunday League stuff.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 10 Jan 2009 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Jan 2009 12:06

Good to see the divisions best striker back on the scoring charts IMO, should be honored he's back with us.

bubibe

by bubibe » 10 Jan 2009 12:09

Well at least the cold weather ensured he kept his shirt on!

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Jan 2009 12:10

I think the reaction from the crowd when he came on and when he scored shows how much people do like him. I think he is great, took his goal well and would have him streets ahead of Long. And yes, I would let him shag my wife

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 10 Jan 2009 12:12

i was excited as all of us to see leroy back, and was delighted when he scored... he took it well.
however, it did seem to me that he lost the ball with almost every other touch he had (excepting the run into the corner where he maybe should have had a free kick), and missed very easy header. but very pleased to see him back and scoring again... i'm willing to put his pretty shocking first ten minutes on the pitch down to nerves/over excitement about playing in front of the home fans again.

Mary Hinge

by Mary Hinge » 10 Jan 2009 12:19

Huntley & Palmer I think the reaction from the crowd when he came on and when he scored shows how much people do like him. I think he is great, took his goal well and would have him streets ahead of Long. And yes, I would let him shag my wife

He has probably :wink:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 10 Jan 2009 12:24

mr_number i was excited as all of us to see leroy back, and was delighted when he scored... he took it well.
however, it did seem to me that he lost the ball with almost every other touch he had (excepting the run into the corner where he maybe should have had a free kick), and missed very easy header. but very pleased to see him back and scoring again... i'm willing to put his pretty shocking first ten minutes on the pitch down to nerves/over excitement about playing in front of the home fans again.

It really wasn't an easy header. Ok he did put it far wide but he did make contact and did well to actually get to it.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Jan 2009 12:27

Woodcote Royal I'm certain tonight's well taken goal was the first time Lita has managed anything worth while from of our benches

Whilst a lot of your post makes a lot of sense, have you forgotten 'boro?

Alex- Kitson, Doyle, Lita, Long, Little, Convey, Oster, Hunt, Sidwell, Harper, Gunnarsson, Halls, Murty, Shorey, Sonko, Ingimarsson. 16.
Doyle, Hunt, Hunt, Long, Lita, Kebe, Cisse, Gunnarsson, Armstrong, Ingimarsson, Sonko, Bikey, Federici. 16 to 13, isn't it? I don't remember Harper scoring but he probably has. Are you counting Karacan, Henry and Pearce? I think you've gone wrong somewhere...

I'm pleased that he did score, but this could be a "We don't need a striker, we've got Leroy" moment...

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2009 12:33

rg6royal
mr_number i was excited as all of us to see leroy back, and was delighted when he scored... he took it well.

It really wasn't an easy header. Ok he did put it far wide but he did make contact and did well to actually get to it.

Please tell me you are joking. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is what happened. He stood still virtually on the penalty spot as we prepared to take the corner, for some bizarre reason no Watford player went anywhere near him, either before the corner was taken, or during the ball's flight. He called for the ball and it came straight to him with no-one obscuring its flight and he got a clean header on it with only a last second attempt at a challenge coming in, and he missed the target by a mile.

If my son's U10s team gives as much room to an attacker at a corner tomorrow I will be very disappointed. And pleasantly surprised if the header goes wide.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 10 Jan 2009 12:36

Royal Rother
rg6royal

Please tell me you are joking. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is what happened. He stood still virtually on the penalty spot as we prepared to take the corner, for some bizarre reason no Watford player went anywhere near him, either before the corner was taken, or during the ball's flight. He called for the ball and it came straight to him with no-one obscuring its flight and he got a clean header on it with only a last second attempt at a challenge coming in, and he missed the target by a mile.

If my son's U10s team gives as much room to an attacker at a corner tomorrow I will be very disappointed. And pleasantly surprised if the header goes wide.

Ok he was unmarked and it came to him but it was a very hard header. If he scored it everyone would be going on about what a fantastic goal it was...

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 10 Jan 2009 12:38

rg6royal

You really have to be joking. That was probably one of the easiest headers that he will have inside the penalty area this season. As an ex u21international he should heve made sure it was on target. I very much doubt that Lita himself would be happy with that miss.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2009 12:40

Ok he was unmarked and it came to him but it was a very hard header.
How was it a very hard header for a professional footballer?

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 10 Jan 2009 12:46

Agreed it wasnt the hardest of all headers but in his defence it was from a standing start which is always harder than running onto a header with pace therefore he had to generate the pace on the ball and also it looked like he was trying to aim for the corner rather than just hit the target. I doubt he could beleive he had so much time and space and hence the time to think rather than instinct kicking in which sometimes is better.

Either way he was there in the right place at the right time to have the opportunity to score as he was for his goal, which again, was shambolic defending from Watford but Leroy had to be there to take advantage.

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 10 Jan 2009 12:52

When are you guys going to give him a break, you moan that he scored saying it was an easy chance anyone could take and you moan that he missed a sitter that anyone else would have buried. At least he was in those positions but I'm sure you will say that was just luck and not the instincts of a goal scorer. If you've got it in for him so be it, but remember at the moment he is still a Reading player and one that wants to play for the club. Give him a break and support the bloke rather than being so negative about him.

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 10 Jan 2009 13:00

The last bit should be applied to Shane Long as well. Remember it is a TEAM game! Far too many negative comments about him on here when he has often come on and got the club out of a spot of trouble. All the squad should be used and supported.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 10 Jan 2009 13:03

Bath Hoops When are you guys going to give him a break, you moan that he scored saying it was an easy chance anyone could take and you moan that he missed a sitter that anyone else would have buried. At least he was in those positions but I'm sure you will say that was just luck and not the instincts of a goal scorer. If you've got it in for him so be it, but remember at the moment he is still a Reading player and one that wants to play for the club. Give him a break and support the bloke rather than being so negative about him.

Not moaning about him myself, just pointing out a fact that he missed a simple chance of putting the ball on target. As I have already mentioned, for a striker of his ability I would be sure that Lita himself would be very disappointed with the miss. The best way to improve is to work on what you got wrong, not to get complacent about what you did right.
Last edited by eleventh earl of mar on 10 Jan 2009 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 10 Jan 2009 13:15

Well done for scoring Leroy, but if I was in a situation where I was effectively 70/30 in favour of me and the keeper 12 yards out I'd expect to score as well. He did nothing else when he came on, much like he did nothing against Cardiff or earlier in the season when he was starting. I don't like Leroy as a player because his all round play is generally so sh*t! Over the past 18 months he's done nothing for Reading, and nobody can say he hasn't been given the chance.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Jan 2009 13:19

Both S Hunt and Doyle failed to score with not dissimilar one on one chances last night....

No striker finishes 100% of chances but if Leroy comes on as sub and tucks away one like that every week I won't complain too much. Would have been very easy for him to have blazed it over, taken it too close to the keeper or otherwise blown the opportunity. Those finishes are always easier from Row Z than out on the pitch !!!

223 posts