Is this squad good enough to take us up to the premiership

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

Re: Is this squad good enough to take us up to the premiership

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 10 Jan 2009 14:11

i'd say we're good enough, we wouldn't be where we are if we wern't.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 10 Jan 2009 14:12

What we have is good. If we are to go up, (fingers crossed) we need to add a few new faces to bolster what we already have.

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 10 Jan 2009 20:44

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. i'd say we're good enough, we wouldn't be where we are if we wern't.
I'm not questioning that things have gone well so far, but will it be enough to get us promoted. So far touch wood we haven't been dealt with any bad injuries, but what would happen if we lost Doyle or Noel up front ? I'm glad to see Lita come back as I think he could really help out in pushing the front two and giving us another dimension to the long ball that we seem to like playing these days. I wasn't sure that Henry really covered that well for Kebe when he was out and wonder whether Kebe will cope with the cold conditions coming up.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2009 21:01

Bath Hoops
.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. i'd say we're good enough, we wouldn't be where we are if we wern't.
I'm not questioning that things have gone well so far, but will it be enough to get us promoted. So far touch wood we haven't been dealt with any bad injuries, but what would happen if we lost Doyle or Noel up front ? I'm glad to see Lita come back as I think he could really help out in pushing the front two and giving us another dimension to the long ball that we seem to like playing these days. I wasn't sure that Henry really covered that well for Kebe when he was out and wonder whether Kebe will cope with the cold conditions coming up.

I'd say losing your first choice keeper of the last 5ish years for a couple of months when the replacement is almost totally untested at this level is quite a bad injury to have.

Bikey and Kebe have had problems too. Doobs was injured for much of the start of the season. Murts is only just back. Matejovsky was injured for a fair few months.

We've had the injuries, we've been lucky Doyle's been untouched, but it's not like we haven't had any problems. It just hasn't really effected us much.

towserSL2crew

by towserSL2crew » 10 Jan 2009 21:09

Course it is. We have enough players now and only if we lost any this month, should we replace them. The best thing we have is a good squad who all seem to get along and work and play well together.We will go up again this year.

Friday's Child

by Friday's Child » 11 Jan 2009 08:20

With a couple of ins and a couple of outs in January, we should be as strong but not weaker. I would say yes, this squad is strong enough to get us to the Premiership, but that is more a reflection of the standard of this division, than of that required to stay in that above.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 11 Jan 2009 09:31

Pool and Darts
And you are assuming that these signings they are making will:

1. Actually be an improvement in the quality of the 11 on the field at any one time.

2. That the said signings will slot straight in and gel with their new teammates and result in a better TEAM. as an example: Kevin Keegan 'improving' his squad with Asprillia (sp?) when his team were 12 points clear at the top of the league.

Signing loads of players soes not necessarily translate into an immediately better team. Witness the emergence of Kebe and Cisse this season.

You have to trust and back the managers judgement and ability to bring players who will strengthen the team and that he can integrate them into the side pretty seamlessly

If it wasn't possible we'd not be seeing other teams up the top with us trying to strengthen and I think we'll be daft to not try and strengthen it just because it might not work! We've seen what sticking with the same side /sqaud does!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 19 Jan 2009 14:32

Ideal I'm much more concerned with whether these players will be good enough to keep us up once we get there.

well i can ease your concerns by clearly stating NO WAY ARE THEY GOOD ENOUGH!!

Least half the team needs adjusting IMO

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 19 Jan 2009 15:14

Good enough to get us there.
Not to keep us there.

by 1960 » 19 Jan 2009 15:42

I watched Spurs v Pompey yesterday. Both struggling near the foot of the table and I don't think we could live with either of them. With these two teams we can remember 7-4 and 6-4 from last year. If we go up with no strengthening I fear it could be 7-0 and 6-0.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 19 Jan 2009 15:44

1960 I watched Spurs v Pompey yesterday. Both struggling near the foot of the table and I don't think we could live with either of them. With these two teams we can remember 7-4 and 6-4 from last year. If we go up with no strengthening I fear it could be 7-0 and 6-0.

Very unlikely. (the no strengthening bit that is)

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 19 Jan 2009 15:54

Alan Partridge
1960 I watched Spurs v Pompey yesterday. Both struggling near the foot of the table and I don't think we could live with either of them. With these two teams we can remember 7-4 and 6-4 from last year. If we go up with no strengthening I fear it could be 7-0 and 6-0.

Very unlikely. (the no strengthening bit that is)

you would hope and think so!! RFC should of learnt their lesson and should it right by spending some cash on some much needed investments.

personally i think they should be looking to supplement the squad with players capable of playing in the prem!!!

watson in the centre and surman on the left with the cash from s.hunt!! (who said i cant dream)

zummerset

by zummerset » 19 Jan 2009 15:58

SteveRoyal Good enough to get us there.
Not to keep us there.

Agreed, need at least 4 quality players and our current first team then provide the depth that we lack