Well done Leroy

223 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Well done Leroy

by brendywendy » 12 Jan 2009 19:13

handbags_harris
brendywendy 1stly whoever said he had a 70/30 chance with his goal is just wrong. 2 in 3 one on ones dont go in.

That was me, and you have misinterpreted what I was saying. The chance wasn't 70/30, the chances of Leroy reaching the ball ahead of the keeper were 70/30. I would have thought that was pretty clear. But whilst we're on the subject, if Leroy had missed that 1-on-1 he should have been shot. He reached the ball 10 yards out, the keeper was on the 6 yard line (ish), he had massive angles to aim for either side. It was probably the easiest 1-on-1 he will score in his career.

well clearly you werent clear.

and still, its 70 -30 the other way in one on ones, so any ease, or simpleness of the chance is in your head, regardless of when he received the ball.
and regardless of that,
4 yards, between two players rushing headlong at each other is a tiny ammount, and many would have hit it straight at him

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 12 Jan 2009 19:43

rg6royal Lets give him a chance and see what he can do.

How many chances does the guy need exactly...? :roll:

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 12 Jan 2009 19:48

He must have eaten loads of humble pie to get into S.C good books again.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Jan 2009 19:50

except that there was no real problem, other than sc said i cant guarantee you games, and lita said, ok, well id like to get some elsewhere if possible, coppell said yes
now hes come back and said he just wants to do everything as part of the squad to get us up
and ive not heard a bad word said against him by manager or coaches

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 12 Jan 2009 19:52

brendywendy
handbags_harris
brendywendy 1stly whoever said he had a 70/30 chance with his goal is just wrong. 2 in 3 one on ones dont go in.

That was me, and you have misinterpreted what I was saying. The chance wasn't 70/30, the chances of Leroy reaching the ball ahead of the keeper were 70/30. I would have thought that was pretty clear. But whilst we're on the subject, if Leroy had missed that 1-on-1 he should have been shot. He reached the ball 10 yards out, the keeper was on the 6 yard line (ish), he had massive angles to aim for either side. It was probably the easiest 1-on-1 he will score in his career.

well clearly you werent clear.

and still, its 70 -30 the other way in one on ones, so any ease, or simpleness of the chance is in your head, regardless of when he received the ball.
and regardless of that,
4 yards, between two players rushing headlong at each other is a tiny ammount, and many would have hit it straight at him

When talking percentages in football, someone means percentage chance of winning the ball. It's not a difficult concept to interpret.

Have you ever played football? Have you ever been in a one-against one situation? I do, and I have, and regardless of what level you play at 99 times out of 100 that 1-on-1 would have been scored.

Two out of every three one-on-one's are missed probably in scenario's where a player has time to take a touch and think about what he's going to do. Leroy didn't, he slammed the ball past the Watford 'keeper like any other player would have done. The distance between player, ball, and 'keeper dictates that a ball travelling at pace would mean the keeper not having any hope of reacting in time to where the ball goes. 1, maybe 2, in 100, a keeper gets lucky with the ball coming off a part of his anatomy, but it's rare, because the ball has so much pace that it merely deflects past and in.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 12 Jan 2009 19:54

brendywendy ive not heard a bad word said against him by manager or coaches

Do you expect Coppell, Dillon, Downes, or whoever, to slag off a current serving player in the public domain?

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Jan 2009 19:55

Ian Royal As a sub, Lita should get plenty of minutes on the pitch, because he is much much more likely to score than Long, even if his overall game adds marginly less.

he's clearly willing to come back and fight, something I wasn't certain of and his goal will do him the world of good. I still think a fresh start for both him and us would be best, but I can see that is getting less likely to happen, so as a realist I want him to do as well as possible and refind his form and keep to it consistently.

The combination of him and Matejovsky coming on for, say NHunt and Harper/Cisse, could give us our much needed plan B. Leroy seems to thrive on through balls. And he's a decent fox in the box to bang in loose balls and penalty area pinball.

I'm feeling much more positive than I have been for a while after the game on friday.

"Through balls"? This isn't pub football. Scoring from through balls happens about twice a season. Watford's defence were crap. We can't have a striker just for "through balls" type goals - he'd score one goal every season on the basis of 50% of one-on-ones being missed.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 12 Jan 2009 19:56

leroy has a massive tail between his legs and its not the one on video!! :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Jan 2009 19:59

handbags_harris

Do you expect Coppell, Dillon, Downes, or whoever, to slag off a current serving player in the public domain?

no, they just wouldnt say anything

always seemed totally genuine in their praise for his attitude

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Jan 2009 20:02

When talking percentages in football, someone means percentage chance of winning the ball. It's not a difficult concept to interpret.

Have you ever played football? Have you ever been in a one-against one situation? I do, and I have, and regardless of what level you play at 99 times out of 100 that 1-on-1 would have been scored.

Two out of every three one-on-one's are missed probably in scenario's where a player has time to take a touch and think about what he's going to do. Leroy didn't, he slammed the ball past the Watford 'keeper like any other player would have done. The distance between player, ball, and 'keeper dictates that a ball travelling at pace would mean the keeper not having any hope of reacting in time to where the ball goes. 1, maybe 2, in 100, a keeper gets lucky with the ball coming off a part of his anatomy, but it's rare, because the ball has so much pace that it merely deflects past and in.

no, the conversion rate for one on ones in proffesional football is 1- in 3. full stop
and im saying that clearly if you are running at 6 miles an hour towards a person also running at 6 miles an hour, 4 yards is virtually nothing in terms of distance when decision making
and im still saying the chance wasnt easy

and stop picking on me :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jan 2009 20:02

handbags_harris

Maybe not but they didn't have to go out of their way to repeatedly praise his good attitude and work rate in training and they have always done that even when they weren't likely to have been trying to put him in the shop window. Likewise USA speaks very highly of Leroy's professionalism, good attitude and work rate in training (IIRC he even talks about him staying behind to do extra practice) in his book.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jan 2009 20:14

handbags_harris regardless of what level you play at 99 times out of 100 that 1-on-1 would have been scored.

brendy has been talking a right load of balls for the last couple of days, but sorry, that is the biggest load of nonsense on this thread yet.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2009 20:33

FFS

the lad has scored 7 goals in 16 games for a Championship side

he's just come back and scored within minutes

and there's still people spouting absolute rubbish about his goalscoring ability, trying to back it up with type of goal, percentages etc etc.

The goalscoring stats speak for themselves. Even in the Prem he went through a patch of scoring almost every game for 10 games or so -when he was bothered and when we were on form.

To question his talent in any way just goes to show how blinkered and biased one's views are.

The question has never been his talent, it's been his attitude and if it allows him to shine with his talent.

IF he's genuine about his attitude this is incredible news.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 12 Jan 2009 20:40

Having just watched the highlights from the Watford game, Lita didn't look as if he was going towards the cameras, but to the fans to show how much that goal went to him and you could tell by his face that it meant alot.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 12 Jan 2009 20:49

Agree.If SC has "won" the day with Leroys attitude and got him to toe the line that can only be good news.
I have never doubted his ability only his attitude and that has not been in the Reading mould.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Jan 2009 21:09

rg6royal Having just watched the highlights from the Watford game, Lita didn't look as if he was going towards the cameras, but to the fans to show how much that goal went to him and you could tell by his face that it meant alot.

Have you got any pictures which show what his face looked like at the time?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 12 Jan 2009 21:13

Royal Rother
handbags_harris regardless of what level you play at 99 times out of 100 that 1-on-1 would have been scored.

brendy has been talking a right load of balls for the last couple of days, but sorry, that is the biggest load of nonsense on this thread yet.

Wadya mean...."last couple of days""

I think you mean years

:wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jan 2009 21:17

2 world wars, 1 world cup The question has never been his talent, it's been his attitude and if it allows him to shine with his talent.

I suspect the reverse is true. Despite his off-field persona I've never really had a problem with his attitude on the pitch - I just don't think he's that good.

NHunt >>> LLita

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 12 Jan 2009 21:28

Norfolk Royal
rg6royal Having just watched the highlights from the Watford game, Lita didn't look as if he was going towards the cameras, but to the fans to show how much that goal went to him and you could tell by his face that it meant alot.

Have you got any pictures which show what his face looked like at the time?

Go onto Virgin Media and have a look hth.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Jan 2009 22:32

Royal Rother
2 world wars, 1 world cup The question has never been his talent, it's been his attitude and if it allows him to shine with his talent.

I suspect the reverse is true. Despite his off-field persona I've never really had a problem with his attitude on the pitch - I just don't think he's that good.

NHunt >>> LLita

But crucially, LLita >>> SLong.

Agree with 2WW1WC's comment further up the page - it's quite incredible that Lita has come back to the club after a good run at Norwich, and some are still finding the time to diminish his goalscoring return to the Madejski. He came on, got a goal, didn't do much else - that's great. Michael Owen has been doing it for years.

223 posts