Blades bid for Lita

323 posts
loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Blades bid for Lita

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Jan 2009 09:46

sheshnu Why would Leroy want to go and play for Sheffield United? He can have his pick of clubs in the summer, which may include one in London and may even include one in the Premier League. If I were him (and I'm not) I'd bang a few goals in for Reading in the next few months then walk to Fulham or somewhere for a nice fat signing-on fee. Everyone's a winner!

And i am sure that is what he is thinking and doing!!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Jan 2009 10:01

Ian Royal Equally their offer wasn't declined without the player been consulted.

Yeah, it wasn't accepted or declined. That's what I've been trying to say. :roll:

Ian Royal If Lita had wanted to go he'd have gone. There may have been a bit of further haggling over price, but he would have.

I never denied that.

Ian Royal So to all intents and purposes a bid was accepted in principle.

I'm sorry, but I still disagree.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 Jan 2009 10:29

Thaumagurist*
Ian Royal Equally their offer wasn't declined without the player been consulted.

Yeah, it wasn't accepted or declined. That's what I've been trying to say. :roll:

Ian Royal If Lita had wanted to go he'd have gone. There may have been a bit of further haggling over price, but he would have.

I never denied that.

Ian Royal So to all intents and purposes a bid was accepted in principle.

I'm sorry, but I still disagree.

Its quite simple really Spacey - IF the bid had been unacceptable to us, we wouldn't have bothered telling the player as we wouldn't have sold the player at that price.

Are you seriously suggesting that the following was a realistic hypothetical scenario?

RFC "Leroy - Sheff Utd have made a bid for you. Interested in moving?

LL "I am as it happens. I'll probably start every game, and they could get promotion"

RFC "Well tough. we aren't going to accept the bid"

:shock:

If you honestly think that RFC would have behaved like that, then you are the most cynical "supporter" of this club who posts on this forum!!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Jan 2009 10:31

No, I don't think that at all. I agreed that if Lita wanted to go then Reading would have accepted the bid. It's just that they didn't accept or decline the bid before talking to Lita. What's so difficult about that?
Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 14 Jan 2009 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 14 Jan 2009 10:31

Disagree, if Reading had received an unacceptable bid for Leroy think they would still have told him but said that the bid does not meet their valuation.

This keeps the player informed and avoids him hearing about it from another source and getting narked as the club hadn;'t the decency to tell him themselves.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Jan 2009 10:35

Because, Spacey, giving permission to speak to the player is effectively accepting the bid.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Jan 2009 10:36

rabidbee Because, Spacey, giving permission to speak to the player is effectively accepting the bid.

Did he really speak to Sheffield United? Reading's statement doesn't say he did.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Jan 2009 10:43

Thaumagurist*
rabidbee Because, Spacey, giving permission to speak to the player is effectively accepting the bid.

Did he really speak to Sheffield United? Reading's statement doesn't say he did.

I have no idea. I didn't say he did speak to United.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Jan 2009 10:45

rabidbee
Thaumagurist*

I have no idea. I didn't say he did speak to United.

Then how do you know Sheffield United was given permission to speak to the player?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Jan 2009 10:48

Asking Leroy if he wanted to speak to United means that they were happy for United to speak to Leroy.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Jan 2009 10:52

rabidbee Asking Leroy if he wanted to speak to United means that they were happy for United to speak to Leroy.

I doubt that was the question put to Leroy. I think it was along the lines of "Do you want to move to Sheffield United?" rather than "Do you want to talk to Sheffield United?"

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Jan 2009 10:54

It's very interesting to see everyone pushing their guesswork as being the most accurate !

The official statements suggest that RFC inform players of ALL offers and Coppell has previously said that he feels it's fair toplayers to let them know if an offer is received and wouldn't necessarily stand in their way if they wanted to leave.

A very possible conversation could have been:

'Leroy, Sheff Utd have put in an offer for you. We're not interested in selling you but do you want to go and talk to them and find out what is on the table ?'

'No thanks boss, I've run my contract down for the last 18 months, why throw away all that good work now'

The comments from Sheff Utd have to be taken with something of a pinch of salt given they contain at least one piece of info which is at best highly suspect and they were already in big trouble with their fans for selling Beattie.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Jan 2009 10:55

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Jan 2009 10:58

Not sure linking to Wikipedia wins any arguements and raising the issue of 'semantics' just proves everyone is wasting their time !! It's what a discussion board is all about though !!

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 14 Jan 2009 10:59

rabidbee http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics

Keep on pushing that boulder up the hill rabidbee - I'm sure you'll convince Spacey eventually.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Jan 2009 11:01

oxf*rd it, I'm going back to doing our accounts. What with not being an acountant or anything. Not that I'm annoyed or owt...

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Jan 2009 11:03

rabidbee oxf*rd it, I'm going back to doing our accounts. What with not being an acountant or anything. Not that I'm annoyed or owt...

Ouch !! You must really see this as a crusade rabid !!

Enjoy the P&L !

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 Jan 2009 11:09

Sun Tzu It's very interesting to see everyone pushing their guesswork as being the most accurate !

The official statements suggest that RFC inform players of ALL offers and Coppell has previously said that he feels it's fair toplayers to let them know if an offer is received and wouldn't necessarily stand in their way if they wanted to leave.
A very possible conversation could have been:

'Leroy, Sheff Utd have put in an offer for you. We're not interested in selling you but do you want to go and talk to them and find out what is on the table ?'

'No thanks boss, I've run my contract down for the last 18 months, why throw away all that good work now'

The comments from Sheff Utd have to be taken with something of a pinch of salt given they contain at least one piece of info which is at best highly suspect and they were already in big trouble with their fans for selling Beattie.

I certainly agree with what you suggest was the possible conversation RFC had with Lita, but I disagree with you on the paragraph highlighted; we received a bid of £3M fro West Ham for Shorey in Aug 2007 and told the player about it, but also told him that we valued him at more than that - indeed, Coppell asked Shorey if he valued himself at less than Leighton Baines (who had moved from Wigan to Fulham for £5M), and Shorey said that he didn't. As a result, even though Shorey wanted to speak to West Ham, their offer didn't meet our valuation of our player so we turned down the bid. It is, of course, a moot point, but it would have been interesting if Shorey had said "I don't care boss, i want to go to West Ham"

:lol:

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Jan 2009 11:10

Sun Tzu
rabidbee oxf*rd it, I'm going back to doing our accounts. What with not being an acountant or anything. Not that I'm annoyed or owt...

Enjoy the P&L !

What?

"Our" = work. I was skiving on here rather than do my project's accounts, because I'm not an accountant and am annoyed that all of the management accountants employed by the uni are too "busy" to do it themselves. If it doesn't get done, I'm out of a job (possibly) at the end of the month.

Nice to know you're valued by your employer.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Jan 2009 11:28

rabidbee
Sun Tzu

Enjoy the P&L !

What?

"Our" = work. I was skiving on here rather than do my project's accounts, because I'm not an accountant and am annoyed that all of the management accountants employed by the uni are too "busy" to do it themselves. If it doesn't get done, I'm out of a job (possibly) at the end of the month.

Nice to know you're valued by your employer.

Ah, I assume the sense of humour switch has been turned off in the rabid household....

I am extremely highly valued by my employer - the benefit of being your own boss !!

323 posts