No longer a rumour - Jay Tabb

216 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: No longer a rumour - Jay Tabb

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Jan 2009 02:31

Shows how far we've come when you think how far below coventry we were a few years back, now we're pinching their player of the season as rotation player.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Jay Tabb

by The 17 Bus » 20 Jan 2009 07:54

winchester_royal Who's the man?

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Only if you alerted the club!! :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83079

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Jan 2009 09:06

Kitson12 Number 5 is also free, unless Tabby wanted 37, is that the age he'll be here till?

He's a big Kevin Smith fan apparently.

'greed on all the positive comments, seems a good buy to me. Also 'greed with WR up above regarding the slew of "great, this means Hunt's leaving" comments, idiots, the lot of yez

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Jan 2009 09:20

LOL - my initial thought was that it must mean Hunt is leaving, but as Tabb is a centre midfielder, I'm going for Harps instead! :wink:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 Jan 2009 09:20

Alan Partridge Have to wonder as to why Coventry are selling their player of the season for £200,000?!

His contract was up in the summer and he refused to sign a new deal despite being offered one. Homesick apparently as he is from London and lives in the Midlands on his own.

I think this is more to do with Convey leaving and there has been confirmed interest in him from the MLS (according to his agent).

Y25

Re: RUMOUR - Jay Tabb

by Y25 » 20 Jan 2009 09:21

Y25 Smells of bullshit to me

mmm mmmm that's the sweet taste of humble "bullshit" pie :mrgreen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/coventry/content/i ... 70x424.jpg
Last edited by Y25 on 20 Jan 2009 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Jan 2009 09:22

This signing highlights our premiership credentials :!:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Jan 2009 09:26

The whole year inn Daily MaiLOL has it down as 750k

EP is saying it is around 500k

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 20 Jan 2009 09:27

my money is on a "Bye bye, Bobby, thanks for everything" thread appearing on these pages in the very near future.

People have been saying that for a while.

He won't be here long - especially given that his home town are hosting an MLS side in the near future.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 20 Jan 2009 09:29

I posted this on another thread. It was written back in April and is quite a good read.

Steve Claridge I played with a young Jay Tabb at Brentford and liked him a lot. Not only as a player but as a person as well. I was interested to see what kind of progress he had made as he was always on the periphery at Brentford. Small and compact, he had been a victim of his own physique when released by Crystal Palace in 2000 but, undeterred, he battled on and signed for the Bees.

He has not changed much from the player I knew. In Coventry's 3-1 win over Plymouth on Saturday the left-winger never flinched in his duties defensively and, unlike most wingers, relished tackling. He showed his good temperament when he was caught with a loose elbow but did not react or let it affect his game.

Tabb had a hand in all three Coventry goals, making two and scoring one, but I have also watched him at Southampton in an away fixture. It is always interesting to compare the two approaches, especially in wingers. They can be asked to do two very different jobs, home and away: at home they play further upfield and a lot more is asked of them with regard to the positive side of their game, while away, especially in a team that is struggling, they are asked to keep the balance of the side and stay goalside of the ball when not in possession. He achieved all this.

Tabb is not the quickest but has two good feet and because of this he will cross in front of his full-back or cut inside and cross with his right foot. On a couple of occasions he took the option of a shot, such is the ease with which he can use either foot. He started in a 4-5-1 formation and played as an out-and-out winger, always giving the width but not getting far enough forward to make this system a three-up-front, meaning at times he looked a little lost in his positioning - back when he might have been forward and vice versa. Tabb's lack of height means he is not an option for the goalkeeper or long-switched diagonal balls, but other parts of his game more than compensate.

He does not have the blinding pace to take him round the outside of his full-back. He prefers to pick the ball up and get up a head of steam before trying to pass a player or come inside, as he did once or twice. It was a bit like watching Franz Klammer - he sidestepped defenders and nearly played the lone striker in on goal and was also very good at coming in from the wing and joining his centre-forward.

He hit a fantastic first-time half- volley which fizzed across goal, but he also showed great appreciation for his lone forward, letting him dictate play by making the runs or movement before releasing the ball. At times this meant holding the ball a little longer than Tabb would have liked but he did it well. He is a nice lad, and even when he left Brentford he did it the right way. Everyone knew it was the next logical step, one he had earned through application.

Signed by Coventry in June 2006, a month after being called up to the Republic of Ireland squad, he has played 64 times for the Sky Blues, scoring eight goals, and is an example to everyone that size and strength alone are sometimes no substitute for ability and sheer hard work.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 20 Jan 2009 09:30

Royal Lady LOL - my initial thought was that it must mean Hunt is leaving, but as Tabb is a centre midfielder, I'm going for Harps instead! :wink:

means we can take offers on fringe players, Convey is certainly one, and possibly Matejovsky as well, we dont really have a settled midfield pairing, as has been mentioned many times on here before.

I can see a couple more signings before the end of Jan, I do not think the squad building is finished, it feels too disjointed at the moment.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Jan 2009 09:32

The 17 Bus
Royal Lady LOL - my initial thought was that it must mean Hunt is leaving, but as Tabb is a centre midfielder, I'm going for Harps instead! :wink:

means we can take offers on fringe players, Convey is certainly one, and possibly Matejovsky as well, we dont really have a settled midfield pairing, as has been mentioned many times on here before.

I can see a couple more signings before the end of Jan, I do not think the squad building is finished, it feels too disjointed at the moment.

Thought he can play anywhere in midfield, not just centre

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 20 Jan 2009 09:37

Woodcote Royal It really does look as if, yet again, Coppell has signed a player for a fraction of his true potential and one that I can't see sitting on the bench for very long.

To read a whole thread of Coventry fans wishing him well with hardly a bad word to say is very impressive.

Given we have a manager who likes small squads, it seems obvious that someone will be leaving and it's just a case of who.

Whilst the Hunt Haters salivate at the thought of saying goodbye to a play who has proved them wrong on countless occasions, my money is on a "Bye bye, Bobby, thanks for everything" thread appearing on these pages in the very near future.

I'm not a Hunt hater, but he thinks he is better than he is, and so do a lot of pundits. If we get £5m for him, we should take it and run!!

But yeah, could be Convey going. I'm not sure there is anyone silly enough to pay £3m for an inconsistant winger with a great engine and stupid voice. :wink:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Jan 2009 09:37

Has spent nearly all of his time playing left wing HTH HAND

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jan 2009 09:39

Alan Partridge Unsurprising transfer, ticks all of Coppell's boxes, only thing I can't find is the Cork City reference!

Must say I would have liked to see Campbell-Ryce from Barnsley join, this would seem to end any (if there was any) interest in him, Also as mentioned I wonder if this is because someone has offered the £5million for Hunt or whether this is an insurance policy if that happens. Have to wonder as to why Coventry are selling their player of the season for £200,000?!

I thought he was fairly impressive in the home game, he works hard, tended not to stay wide, he wanted to get in the game and kept tucking inside to get the ball. Hope he does well here and good luck to him.

EP seems to think we still have interest there as Convey is very likely to leave this month.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 Jan 2009 09:39

I know nothing about Tabb but by all accounts this looks like a great buy, especially at the price (be it £300k or £750k). Good stuff, and if he is a replacement for a departing Convey then all the better, because Bobby is a shadow of the player of 05/06.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Jan 2009 09:43

loyalroyal4life
The 17 Bus

Thought he can play anywhere in midfield, not just centre

I originally put on my post that this may end any (if there is any) interest in Campbell Ryce, now I'm not so sure on that. As you say and the OS says Tabb is more than capable of playing anywhere in the midfield. Not going to claim I know where his favoured position is as I haven't seen him enough,but just from the home game I noticed how much he liked to try and get in the middle. Maybe this could be a part of a run of deals? Tabb providing cover along the midfield and as an insurance policy if some/not all/none of this proposal I am going to make happens!! :wink:

Hunt to Wigan/Spurs/ whoever £5million
Lita to QPR - £1.3million
Maybe someone like Convey departs as well.

Tabb in, let's say £500k as it's themiddle of everyone's guess work here. Can play left if needed, right side if Kebe doesn't shape up, or even in the middle if required.
Campbell Ryce in for £1.2million ish as our actual proper winger replacement for Hunt
Leaving well over £4million (won't need that much) to replace the other forward, making a nice profit, freshening up the squad in the process.

If it all doesn't happen then we have a good player in Tabb who can help the squad anyway 8)

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 20 Jan 2009 09:44

Alan Partridge I originally put on my post that this may end any (if there is any) interest in Campbell Ryce, now I'm not so sure on that. As you say and the OS says Tabb is more than capable of playing anywhere in the midfield. Not going to claim I know where his favoured position is as I haven't seen him enough,but just from the home game I noticed how much he liked to try and get in the middle. Maybe this could be a part of a run of deals? Tabb providing cover along the midfield and as an insurance policy if some/not all/none of this proposal I am going to make happens!! :wink:

Tabb in, let's say £500k as it's themiddle of everyone's guess work here. Can play left if needed, right side if Kebe doesn't shape up, or even in the middle if required.
Campbell Ryce in for £1.2million ish as our actual proper winger replacement for Hunt
Leaving well over £4million (won't need that much) to replace the other forward, making a nice profit, freshening up the squad in the process.

If it all doesn't happen then we have a good player in Tabb who can help the squad anyway 8)

I quite like the sound of that.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Jan 2009 09:45

Stranded
Alan Partridge Unsurprising transfer, ticks all of Coppell's boxes, only thing I can't find is the Cork City reference!

Must say I would have liked to see Campbell-Ryce from Barnsley join, this would seem to end any (if there was any) interest in him, Also as mentioned I wonder if this is because someone has offered the £5million for Hunt or whether this is an insurance policy if that happens. Have to wonder as to why Coventry are selling their player of the season for £200,000?!

I thought he was fairly impressive in the home game, he works hard, tended not to stay wide, he wanted to get in the game and kept tucking inside to get the ball. Hope he does well here and good luck to him.

EP seems to think we still have interest there as Convey is very likely to leave this month.

You posted as I typed ;) Had a rethink this morning!

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 20 Jan 2009 09:46

Alan Partridge Maybe this could be a part of a run of deals? Tabb providing cover along the midfield and as an insurance policy if some/not all/none of this proposal I am going to make happens!! :wink:

You are Nicky Hammond and I claim my £5.

216 posts