No longer a rumour - Jay Tabb

216 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: No longer a rumour - Jay Tabb

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jan 2009 10:22

Handy little player and probably at a good price.

Not exactly the type of player to improve our first eleven with the Premiership in mind though, but as a replacement for Convey, and one who is more versatile at that, it seems a reasonable piece of business.

Not one to set the tongues wagging and create an air of expectation and excitement though....typical Coppell I guess!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Jan 2009 10:33

Dont know why people would moan about this signing. Good,young,skilful, bargain
what would set your pulse racing then? An aging has been, a 5 mil player whod rather be in the prem?
Coppel knows the market, knows who he can get to improve and work to our system. And it works a treat. If you want otherwise may i respectfully point out youve got the wrong club

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Jan 2009 10:33

Alan Partridge Unsurprising transfer, ticks all of Coppell's boxes, only thing I can't find is the Cork City reference!

Must say I would have liked to see Campbell-Ryce from Barnsley join, this would seem to end any (if there was any) interest in him, Also as mentioned I wonder if this is because someone has offered the £5million for Hunt or whether this is an insurance policy if that happens. Have to wonder as to why Coventry are selling their player of the season for £200,000?!

I thought he was fairly impressive in the home game, he works hard, tended not to stay wide, he wanted to get in the game and kept tucking inside to get the ball. Hope he does well here and good luck to him.

Tabb was out of contract the end of this season and refused to sign a new deal, he is on his own in the Midlands and his family still live down this way so he wanted to get closer to them. The fee was an amount Cov thought was good for the remainder of his contract with them, so pretty low with lots of add-ons I expect

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jan 2009 10:43

brendywendy Dont know why people would moan about this signing. Good,young,skilful, bargain
what would set your pulse racing then? An aging has been, a 5 mil player whod rather be in the prem?
Coppel knows the market, knows who he can get to improve and work to our system. And it works a treat. If you want otherwise may i respectfully point out youve got the wrong club

Not sure if that was directed at me or not, but I'm not moaning about the signing.

What I want to see is players signing for us that strengthen the first team and then we lose a fringe player and progress. I want to see players come in that look like their signings bought in to improve the side, hopefully with the aim to be able to the perform for us in the Premiership next season.

Tabb is a decent little player, but is he going to improve our side right now, or is he just replacing a squad player with like for like?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 20 Jan 2009 10:45

I wonder what kind of headlines can we expect from Jay Tabb?

Something like:

"Jay keeps Tabbs on the promtion race"
"Jay Tabbs it in!"

etc

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 20 Jan 2009 10:48

Tabb of Speed

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 20 Jan 2009 11:50

So what is his best position?

Good signing imo, typical Reading. Coppell's knows what he's gonna get from him. Will be interesting where he will fit into things. Still think people underate Hunt and if he leaves he will take some replacing.

If Hunt stays, Tabb pushing all our 1st choice midfielders would be great competition.

Now we just need a striker to do the same with Hunt/DOyle. Doesn't sound like that will happen, which personally I can't understand....

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Jan 2009 11:59

Hoop Blah
brendywendy Dont know why people would moan about this signing. Good,young,skilful, bargain

Not sure if that was directed at me or not, but I'm not moaning about the signing.

What I want to see is players signing for us that strengthen the first team and then we lose a fringe player and progress. I want to see players come in that look like their signings bought in to improve the side, hopefully with the aim to be able to the perform for us in the Premiership next season.

Tabb is a decent little player, but is he going to improve our side right now, or is he just replacing a squad player with like for like?

Well, go and read Steve Claridge's assessment.

A two footed midfieder, 25 next month, who is a good passer and scores a few goals...................he can play anywhere in midfield.

This sounds like a player we don't have right now and someone who stands every chance of not just making the team but improving it, too.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Jan 2009 12:01

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe So what is his best position?

Good signing imo, typical Reading. Coppell's knows what he's gonna get from him. Will be interesting where he will fit into things. Still think people underate Hunt and if he leaves he will take some replacing.

If Hunt stays, Tabb pushing all our 1st choice midfielders would be great competition.

Now we just need a striker to do the same with Hunt/DOyle. Doesn't sound like that will happen, which personally I can't understand....

Because Reading would then have 5 strikers (not including Mooney or Church) if Lita gets sold then it changes the situation, as would selling Hunt.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 20 Jan 2009 12:07

I think he's a player Coppell has fancied for a while and with him being out of contract, it seemed like a good deal. I'm not sure where Coppell thinks he can improve the team, apart from perhaps offering a little bit more effort and fight on the right wing as a replacement for kebe.

From what I've seen of Tabb, he's no more than a busy little player.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Jan 2009 12:11

Woodcote Royal
Hoop Blah

Well, go and read Steve Claridge's assessment.

A two footed midfieder, 25 next month, who is a good passer and scores a few goals...................he can play anywhere in midfield.

This sounds like a player we don't have right now and someone who stands every chance of not just making the team but improving it, too.

sounds like hes at least the gunnarson replacement! and clearly improves our first team squad, good enough for me, by a long way, will either push hunty, or player x(kebe? or an.other) for that lw spot, aswell as giving us another option when harps isnt firing in the middle

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Jan 2009 12:15

Scarface I think he's a player Coppell has fancied for a while and with him being out of contract, it seemed like a good deal. I'm not sure where Coppell thinks he can improve the team, apart from perhaps offering a little bit more effort and fight on the right wing as a replacement for kebe.

From what I've seen of Tabb, he's no more than a busy little player.

Odd, then, that he's spent most of his time at Cov on the left and, by all accounts received so far, has more end product than Kebe with either foot

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 20 Jan 2009 12:16

Alan Partridge
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe So what is his best position?

Because Reading would then have 5 strikers (not including Mooney or Church) if Lita gets sold then it changes the situation, as would selling Hunt.

I just don't think Long is good enough, or that Lita fits in or has the heart. When NHunt/Doyle are not doing it, I don't see anyone pushing them. Now with Tabb, SHunt and Kebe know that if they ain't doing it, there's someone to come in for him.

I don't think Lita will go, cause he wants the money that comes with a bosman. That ain't a reason not to sign a striker imo.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Jan 2009 12:18

He's always struck me as a kind of Gooding type player - small, not quick but with a tidy touch and busy work-rate.
Would that be miles off?

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 20 Jan 2009 12:30

I know little about Tabb so will have to wait and see. However, if he can refrain from the bad habit of looking for the ball in his own half, taking it on the move and passing to a colleague, then he`ll fit straight in. An added bonus of course would be if he can cover every blade of grass.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 20 Jan 2009 12:43

Alan Partridge
Hunt to Wigan/Spurs/ whoever £5million
Lita to QPR - £1.3million
Maybe someone like Convey departs as well.

Um, when Lita is free in a few months, you think there's a club out there thick enough to spend more than £400,000 on Lita?

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 20 Jan 2009 12:44

Deathy
Alan Partridge

Um, when Lita is free in a few months, you think there's a club out there thick enough to spend more than £400,000 on Lita?

:shock: You mean a week after Sheff Utd bid £1m for him?!

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 20 Jan 2009 12:46

Bill Oddie's Beard
Deathy
Alan Partridge

The club announced a figure bid? Or the papers did the talking?

Sheff fans seem to thing it was a smoke screen to ease the loss of Beattie.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2009 12:50

Platypuss He's always struck me as a kind of Gooding type player - small, not quick but with a tidy touch and busy work-rate.
Would that be miles off?

I hope not. Gooding was rarely spectacularly good for us, but he was a very very useful player to have and certainly kept playing quite a long time. If Tabb is like him I'm very very happy.

Be interesting to see what happens. I'm still very dubious about Hunt going anywhere, so think it's bye bye Convey. WHich would give us much better competition on the wing. The only problem I see is that he's described as needing a ball winner next to him in the middle. Unfortunately that describes both our other two best midfielders.

He might work with Cisse, but I just don't see Cisse as good enough. He'll do fine for now, but if we go up? No chance.

For all those saying we wouldn't sign anyone this window... Told you so. Again.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2009 12:51

Deathy
Bill Oddie's Beard
Deathy Um, when Lita is free in a few months, you think there's a club out there thick enough to spend more than £400,000 on Lita?

The club announced a figure bid? Or the papers did the talking?

Sheff fans seem to thing it was a smoke screen to ease the loss of Beattie.
Still reported as 7 figures everywhere and not denied by either club, in fact sheff may have confirmed. They are hardly likely to bid £1m without wanting to spend it. Anyone who thinks that is an idiot.

216 posts