STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

831 posts
T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

Re: STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

by T.R.O.L.I. » 23 Jan 2009 13:03

Was listening to Reading 107 in the car 5 minutes ago and apparently the club have said "No comment" regarding Hunt and a move to Wigan. So not sure how Sky can be so sure.

Don't forget Sky reported a transfer back in August (can't remeber who it was) only for both clubs and the players agent to issue a statement that there was no deal agreed :lol:

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 23 Jan 2009 13:07

One option to Surman and Campbell-Ryce would be Daniel Fox from Coventry. More defensive than those two, but he’s a decent attacking player and set-piece taker. Might be more of a match-up to Hunt’s qualities if that’s what we’re looking for.

He’d also provide proper competition at LB. Wouldn’t surprise if we ‘made-do’ with a midfield of Kebe, Henry, Gunnarsson, Cisse, Harper, Matejovsky, Bikey, Tabb and someone like Fox, until we know what division we’re in next year.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 23 Jan 2009 13:15

Whore Jackie One option to Surman and Campbell-Ryce would be Daniel Fox from Coventry. More defensive than those two, but he’s a decent attacking player and set-piece taker. Might be more of a match-up to Hunt’s qualities if that’s what we’re looking for.

He’d also provide proper competition at LB. Wouldn’t surprise if we ‘made-do’ with a midfield of Kebe, Henry, Gunnarsson, Cisse, Harper, Matejovsky, Bikey, Tabb and someone like Fox, until we know what division we’re in next year.

I have heard we've been looking at him too so i wouldn't be suprised if we signed him. Would Coventry sell us 2 player in the transfer window though?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 23 Jan 2009 13:27

You can't deny him the chance to join a big club.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 23 Jan 2009 13:42

Apparently it just said on BBC berks he's staying. Anyone hear this?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 23 Jan 2009 13:44

LOL at anyone who thinks that Reading 107 are a reliable source :lol:

punkindrublic

by punkindrublic » 23 Jan 2009 13:45

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... 164394.ece

9.12am - Wigan are reported to have agreed a £5m fee with Reading for midfielder Stephen Hunt.

not sure if the sun can be counted as a good source of info, but this is what it says.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 23 Jan 2009 13:45

Bill Oddie's Beard Apparently it just said on BBC berks he's staying. Anyone hear this?

bigmike LOL at anyone who thinks that Reading 107 are a reliable source :lol:

:|

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Jan 2009 13:49

Bill Oddie's Beard Apparently it just said on BBC berks he's staying. Anyone hear this?

His agent must be on the phone to Everton.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 23 Jan 2009 13:51

punkindrublic http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2164394.ece

9.12am - Wigan are reported to have agreed a £5m fee with Reading for midfielder Stephen Hunt.

not sure if the sun can be counted as a good source of info, but this is what it says.

1.09pm - Wigan have entered the race to sign Ben Watson from Crystal Palace.

Maybe He has turned them down. I know I would... He has said he wants to play for one of the top teams in the Premiership and no matter what anyone says wiggum will never ever be classed as a big prem team.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Jan 2009 14:03

2.02pm - Floyd Streete has finished his lunch time lasagne.

**Reaction to follow**

punkindrublic

by punkindrublic » 23 Jan 2009 14:04

bigmike
punkindrublic http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2164394.ece

Maybe He has turned them down. I know I would... He has said he wants to play for one of the top teams in the Premiership and no matter what anyone says wiggum will never ever be classed as a big prem team.

I totally agree. why the fcuk would anyone want to play for Wigan. Shite, boring team, with shite fans. Like Kitson has if he went to Wigan, I can only see him regretting it. Hope remains!

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 23 Jan 2009 14:04

floyd__streete 2.02pm - Floyd Streete has finished his lunch time lasagne.

**Reaction to follow**

Should have waited for a bigger meal to come along...

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 23 Jan 2009 14:07

bigmike

Every player would like to play for a big prem team but no big prem team would want a journeyman player like him.
IF Wigan are interested I now doubt Bruce who up until now has made some very astute signings in Valencia,Palacios and Zaki (not sure if he was the one to bring in Scharner) but their fans must be delighted that instead of Palacios and Heskey they will be getting Mido and Hunt. :cry:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Jan 2009 14:10

Erm... am I the only one who finds this a bit suss?

Hunt has a 5m get out clause.

Why would there need to be any "agreeing" between clubs. It's a non-story isn't it?

If there was any story at all surely it'd be "Wigan in talks with Hunt"!

:?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 23 Jan 2009 14:12

bigmike LOL at anyone who thinks that Reading 107 are a reliable source :lol:

Bill Oddies - said Radio Berks - not Sir Syrups 107FM ! so are you asking generally about 107FMs reliability? or did you get the stations wrong?

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 23 Jan 2009 14:13

1871royals I know its slightly off topic but I think people are undervaluing the contributions of Shorey and Kitson.

Shorey and Kitson performed consistently well for us (around 3 season irc) at this level. Then Shorey was brilliant for us first season in the Prem, and Dave Kitson got bout 10 (irc) last season. So both of them had a relatively successful season in the Prem each as well.

Im very happy about Armstrong, but imo he is slightly better then Shorey defensively but Shorey was a lot better offensively. Also you cant judge Armstrong until hes played for us in the top division, all hes done so far for us is have half a good season in Championship, its easy to look good defensively in this division.

Same with Noel Hunt, I think technically Kitson was better, but Hunts got a much better mentality. Im not sure if he will be succesful in the Prem. Hopefully we can find out next year :)

IMO you cant properly decide how well we have replaced Kitson and Shorey till we are in the Prem. Also would Dave Kitson have scored more than 11 (or whatever NH scored) in this team?

I think he would.

Very well said.
The crucial point is that we are now judging the new Hunt,Armstrong.Kebe et al by Championship standards and as we all know it is one hell of a step up to the next level.
BTW nobody has mentioned the lad Davies from Derby on this thread who the Daily Mail says we have lined up if Hunt goes.
I thought he looked excellent in the first Carling semi v Man Utd.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 23 Jan 2009 14:14

2 world wars, 1 world cup Erm... am I the only one who finds this a bit suss?

Why would there need to be any "agreeing" between clubs. It's a non-story isn't it?

exactly

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Jan 2009 14:31

As we seem to have two threads on the future of Mr Hunt (the other is in unfounded rumours), I'll post this in here as well..

From the EP...

Stephen Hunt faces a tough decision over his future
By David Wright
23/ 1/2009

Stephen Hunt is this weekend thinking over a move to Wigan after the Latics had tabled a bid of £5million.

But Everton and Tottenham are also believed to be interested in the Reading winger, who is desperate to play in the Premier League.

There is a clause in Hunt’s contract that he is able to speak to any Premier League club prepared to pay a transfer fee of £5m or more.

Wigan boss Steve Bruce has money available after selling Wilson Palacios to Tottenham for £12m earlier this week.

It is understood that Hunt would prefer to go to Everton, and he faces a tough decision over his future.

He knows he could be back playing among the elite next season as Royals are currently well on course for promotion from the Championship.

The Republic of Ireland star has been joined at Madejski Stadium this season by his brother Noel. And, along with Kevin Doyle and Shane Long, there is a close-knit gathering of the Irish, making for a tremendous team spirit at the club.

Manager Steve Coppell would be reluctant to let Hunt go, but he has already lined up a possible replacement.

As the Evening Post revealed earlier this week, the Royals boss has earmarked Barnsley’s Jamal Campbell-Ryce as his top target and Coppell could well tempt him away from Oakwell if Hunt leaves.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Jan 2009 14:41

bigmike
2 world wars, 1 world cup Erm... am I the only one who finds this a bit suss?

exactly

They'd need Reading's permission to talk to Stephen Hunt. He is still under contract to us, after all.

831 posts