Doncaster game moved?

Chuckle Brother

Re: Doncaster game moved?

by Chuckle Brother » 25 Jan 2009 10:50

The Cube
Chuckle Brother There's only so many weeks in the season, so something's got to give somewhere.

That's true, but if you're going to double up then League Cup semi week makes more sense than an early round FA Cup replay week. Also, there were unused weeks in the autumn.

I wonder if this is a side-effect of the lack of a 1st January game?

I take your point. But if it was to effect one of the League Cup semi-finallists (ie Man U or Spurs) there would probably be far more of a stink than if it effects little old Reading or someone of their stature.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2009 10:55

Why would a full football league program affect Premier League sides? Esp as the LC would still take priority?

It wouldn't happen anyway as the LC is the League's cup competition and they would want their semi finals to get maximum attention, having the rest of your top flight member clubs playing on the same midweek would dilute this.

heathrow royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: As seen on Soccer AM and somewhere between Heathrow and Southampton airport!!!

by heathrow royal » 25 Jan 2009 12:07

IN for the re-arranged fixture

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Jan 2009 12:23

What happens if you've already booked your train tickets? Can you swap them for the new date? Not that I'm going or anything, I just wondered on behalf of the fans who might have already booked a train.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Jan 2009 12:37

Royal Lady What happens if you've already booked your train tickets? Can you swap them for the new date? Not that I'm going or anything, I just wondered on behalf of the fans who might have already booked a train.

Nope, unless you paid full-whack for flexible tickets.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 25 Jan 2009 13:10

Still fuming over this, unfortunately it will only affect a handful of us due to under 500 tickets being sold. Why do FA cup games need blood replays? Isnt it obvious enough that teams are caring about the competition less and less, with Harry Redknapp worried Spurs would equalising late on vs Man Utd to add another fixture to his calender. Firstly lets get FA cup games sorted 'on the night', and seondly lets not start moving fixtures about at such short time, especially once tickets have gone on sale.

Maybe if more had booked their tickets for this game their would be more of an outrage, but i feel the least that the club can do is put on a free football service train for us loyal royals with tickets. It's not the clubs fault no, but why shiould we be left out of pocket for following our team??

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 25 Jan 2009 13:10

OUT for the re-arranged fixture

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 25 Jan 2009 13:12

Still in for the re-arranged fixture.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 25 Jan 2009 13:37

AlexY25 Still in for the re-arranged fixture.

When is it?

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 25 Jan 2009 14:53

Stranded Why would a full football league program affect Premier League sides? Esp as the LC would still take priority?

It wouldn't happen anyway as the LC is the League's cup competition and they would want their semi finals to get maximum attention, having the rest of your top flight member clubs playing on the same midweek would dilute this.

Fair point. When I first read it I interpreted it to mean have cup replays the same week as the LC semi-finals. Which now appears to be wrong.

Please find it in your heart to forgive me my momentary lapse.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Jan 2009 15:05

The question will be posed to the FL as to why they allow the fixtures compilation team to schedule a full round of league matches on the same week as scheduled for 4th round replays.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2009 15:29

Chuckle Brother
Stranded Why would a full football league program affect Premier League sides? Esp as the LC would still take priority?

Fair point. When I first read it I interpreted it to mean have cup replays the same week as the LC semi-finals. Which now appears to be wrong.

No sorry, go and stand in the corner and think about what you have done.. I'll let you know when it's been long enough...

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 25 Jan 2009 22:11

Stranded
Chuckle Brother

No sorry, go and stand in the corner and think about what you have done.. I'll let you know when it's been long enough...

I need a wee wee now.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Jan 2009 09:05

Ok, you can go..

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 26 Jan 2009 16:16

[quote="moo"] Why do FA cup games need blood replays? Isnt it obvious enough that teams are caring about the competition less and less, with Harry Redknapp worried Spurs would equalising late on vs Man Utd to add another fixture to his calender. Firstly lets get FA cup games sorted 'on the night'.

Seem to remember the commentator saying on saturday that there is an FA rule which allows the first game to go to extra time if both teams agree beforehand although that still doesn't guarantee a result.

Perhaps they should try some ideas from bygone days:

Stockport v Doncaster

County were involved in the longest ever football match, against Doncaster Rovers at Edgeley Park on March 30th 1946. The match was the second in a Division Three (North) two-legged cup tie and, after 30 minutes of extra time, was deadlocked at 2-2 (also the score in the first leg). After the referee had sought advice from the authorities, it was decided that the game would carry on until one team scored. However, after 203 minutes, and with darkness closing in, the game was finally stopped. The replay, at Doncaster, was won by the home team, 4-0. Stories abound of fans leaving the game, going home for their tea, and coming back to watch the end of the game

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 26 Jan 2009 16:21

Would be a real shame to make FA cup ties one off games. Replays area great feature of cup competitions although it's also sad that they aren't a couple of days after the first game like they used to be.

Can't really conceive how clubs (and fans) would cope these days if we played Man U away on the Saturday and then had a replay the next Tuesday !!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Jan 2009 16:40

New date for Doncaster is 17th March....

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 26 Jan 2009 21:23

Right near Sheff Weds away, makes March more expensive now. great.

fckin great

just great

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 26 Jan 2009 21:41

Barry the bird boggler New date for Doncaster is 17th March....

6 games in 3 weeks?

Good to see our FA Cup strategy avoided that fixture congestion then............ :roll:

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 26 Jan 2009 23:21

bb0118 OUT for the re-arranged fixture

IN for the re-arranged fixture

looks like im doing the bloody hokey cokey!!

New date suits me again!