When Coppell leaves.....

Percy's Rocket

Re: It's Inevitable...

by Percy's Rocket » 15 Jan 2009 19:16

I see Jimmy Quinn got the boot the other day..

and Gooding is still knocking around !!!!!!!

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 15 Jan 2009 19:22

handbags_harris Some of the suggestions on here would make me question whether I wanted to come back to the Madejski if they were manager of RFC.

Neil Warnock? Successful manager, wouldn't want him here though. His mould is totally against the ethos that this club is trying to instil.

Lawrie Sanchez? No f*ckin way.

Roy Keane? Don't think so. Think he'd struggle at this club. Not right for RFC after Coppell.

Paul Jewell? Decentish manager when given time, but I think the guy's a bit of a tit to be honest.

Brendan Rodgers? Let's wait and see what he does at Watford shall we before thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Simon Grayson? No sorry. He would probably do a 'Mcghee' or 'Pardew' on us.

Parky? No. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Pardew? No. Burnt his bridges here under a cloud, and also hasn't exactly excelled since he left.

Glen Hoddle? No. Has had hardly any true managerial success since he left Swindon 16 years ago.

Paul Ince? Woefully inadequate at Blackburn, had a decent record at MK Dons when given money to spend in a cash-strapped league, but no for me.

Parky? No. Given time at Colchester and made an excellent fist of it and then left under a cloud. Has done nothing at Championship level since, although it remains to be seen what he does with Charlton.

Sammy Lee? Just LOL @ that suggestion :lol:

My own suggestion would be for an already established manager with credentials at at least Championship level, and a decent temperament, one that now fits the ethos that RFC has built up to carry on where Coppell will leave us. I think the only currently available managers who have that are Alan Curbishley and Joe Royle (the latter I think wouldn't be successful, he's had his day). Would they come to Reading though?

Of course, new young managers to be given time are Brendan Rodgers, Roberto di Matteo, maybe Paul Ince if he gets another chance somewhere, Simon Grayson maybe, Owen Coyle, and Nigel Clough. If any of those are successful at their current clubs, they should be lined up for Coppell's replacement. I personally hope di Matteo does well, (despite who he manages) as he'll be perfect for RFC if he does IMO.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 15 Jan 2009 19:22

Martinez for me...or Curbishley

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 15 Jan 2009 19:25

glass half full
handbags_harris Some of the suggestions on here would make me question whether I wanted to come back to the Madejski if they were manager of RFC.

Neil Warnock? Successful manager, wouldn't want him here though. His mould is totally against the ethos that this club is trying to instil.

Lawrie Sanchez? No f*ckin way.

Roy Keane? Don't think so. Think he'd struggle at this club. Not right for RFC after Coppell.

Paul Jewell? Decentish manager when given time, but I think the guy's a bit of a tit to be honest.

Brendan Rodgers? Let's wait and see what he does at Watford shall we before thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Simon Grayson? He would probably do a 'McGhee' or 'Pardew' on us

Simon Grayson? No sorry. He would probably do a 'Mcghee' or 'Pardew' on us.

Parky? No. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Pardew? No. Burnt his bridges here under a cloud, and also hasn't exactly excelled since he left.

Glen Hoddle? No. Has had hardly any true managerial success since he left Swindon 16 years ago.

Paul Ince? Woefully inadequate at Blackburn, had a decent record at MK Dons when given money to spend in a cash-strapped league, but no for me.

Parky? No. Given time at Colchester and made an excellent fist of it and then left under a cloud. Has done nothing at Championship level since, although it remains to be seen what he does with Charlton.

Sammy Lee? Just LOL @ that suggestion :lol:

My own suggestion would be for an already established manager with credentials at at least Championship level, and a decent temperament, one that now fits the ethos that RFC has built up to carry on where Coppell will leave us. I think the only currently available managers who have that are Alan Curbishley and Joe Royle (the latter I think wouldn't be successful, he's had his day). Would they come to Reading though?

Of course, new young managers to be given time are Brendan Rodgers, Roberto di Matteo, maybe Paul Ince if he gets another chance somewhere, Simon Grayson maybe, Owen Coyle, and Nigel Clough. If any of those are successful at their current clubs, they should be lined up for Coppell's replacement. I personally hope di Matteo does well, (despite who he manages) as he'll be perfect for RFC if he does IMO.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

If Coppell decides to hang up his coat...

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 25 Jan 2009 17:57

Should Coppell decide that he wants to call a close to his management tenure at Reading when the season ends - and hopefully with us in the premier league, I would be more than happy if Roberto Martinez was installed as the new manager -

I think that he could carry on the great work that has been done by Coppell, and his eye for a "good player" much like Coppell, would put us in good stead!

However dont think Swansea would let him go - and we need an ambitious manager in the ascendancy, not an experienced manager on the wain

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: If Coppell decides to hang up his coat...

by Millsy » 25 Jan 2009 18:01

Fantastic thread.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Jan 2009 18:13

Be fair, it's almost 2 weeks since someone started a thread on the subject.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 25 Jan 2009 18:25

Can't have people repeating subjects too quickly.

Not allowed.

Elliott

by Elliott » 25 Jan 2009 19:06

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Should Coppell decide that he wants to call a close to his management tenure at Reading when the season ends - and hopefully with us in the premier league, I would be more than happy if Roberto Martinez was installed as the new manager -

I think that he could carry on the great work that has been done by Coppell, and his eye for a "good player" much like Coppell, would put us in good stead!

However dont think Swansea would let him go - and we need an ambitious manager in the ascendancy, not an experienced manager on the wain

'greed

2 world wars, 1 world cup Fantastic thread.

'greed

Platypuss Be fair, it's almost 2 weeks since someone started a thread on the subject.

'greed

Gordons Cumming Can't have people repeating subjects too quickly.

Not allowed.

'greed

:)

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 25 Jan 2009 20:04

There's too much greed on this thread :D

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 25 Jan 2009 21:00

royalexile There's too much greed on this thread :D

:lol: :roll:

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 26 Jan 2009 21:35

CMRoyal Gareth Southgate. Failing that, Brendan Rodgers, or Roberto Martinez.

Roberto Martinez would be a great shout.

holsgrove breaks a leg

Re: When Coppell leaves.....

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 26 Jan 2009 22:18

the inevitable link to peter taylor yet again

di matteo is a good one,martinez will get a prime job soon so no there

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Jan 2009 23:24

I think Martinez is an excellent manager, but isn't his style
totally different to what we have?

How many of our players would suit a slow build-up, many-passes, keep possession game?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 26 Jan 2009 23:41

Teams should do away with training sessions then, if they only know how to play one way.
Phuck tactics, they're shite.
Coppell won't be going for a while yet, he likes it here.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Jan 2009 23:44

readingbedding Teams should do away with training sessions then, if they only know how to play one way.

Not sure what you're implying, but a high-possession team is more about
great first-touch etc, rather than hard-running.

It's just a horses-for-courses thing. eg: some players suit Arsenal/Swansea style, some don't.

Doesn't necessarily mean they superior or inferior players, just different

You gonna teach, Savage, S Hunt, Kevin Davies etc to be delicate and elegant?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Jan 2009 23:45

Teams should do away with training sessions then, if they only know how to play one way.

Not TEAMS, individual players

Doyler

by Doyler » 27 Jan 2009 00:26

Wally Downes :wink:

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 27 Jan 2009 01:22

If we don't go up then I'd like to see Ian Holloway in charge. Not sure if he'd get us anywhere, but the post match press conferences would be worth a watch.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 27 Jan 2009 09:56

Snowball
readingbedding Teams should do away with training sessions then, if they only know how to play one way.

Not sure what you're implying, but a high-possession team is more about
great first-touch etc, rather than hard-running.

It's just a horses-for-courses thing. eg: some players suit Arsenal/Swansea style, some don't.

Doesn't necessarily mean they superior or inferior players, just different

You gonna teach, Savage, S Hunt, Kevin Davies etc to be delicate and elegant?

What the phuck has Savage and Kevin Davies got to do with RFC?
Of course footballers only know how to play one way, and one way only.
You can't train or teach professional footballers to play according to your own style, it's true...