RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

944 posts
loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by loyalroyal4life » 26 Jan 2009 15:48

Geekins I think personally Coppell has been too loyal to Harps. Now i like him, but form isn't there this season. We need to refresh the squad a little and i think Harp's would be one i would let go.

+2

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jan 2009 17:24

Stranded
Ian Royal To answer you Stranded, no we don't HAVE to accept it, but we would be extremely foolish not to and would accept it at that value, when we have the bodies in place already to cope with his exit.

It would be a blow, but one we could afford to take for £7m and could actually lead to us developing a slightly new formation/tactic, which I think we'll need to do anyway if we go up.

W_R I didn't mean to suggest hat Tabb is a similar player to Marek, just that from what I've heard, he would need an excellent ball winner next to him, as would Marek. Unfortunately Cisse isn't good enough to be described that ay. At least not yet. Tabb would probably cope marginally better than Marek. But I don't think significantly well enough.

I completely disagree. The only way we would accept it, IMO, is if Harper said he wants to leave. The club will see the value of the player as part of the side that is looking like getting us promoted, £7m is peanuts compared to that.

Sorry, I was working on the assumption that Harper would be interested so would discuss terms. We'd certainly allow Harps to talk to them given our previous record. Surely

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Jan 2009 17:49

Only if:

a) there actually is a bid
b) we think to be agreeable to the club

Then we would put it to the player. Coppell obviously believes Harper to be a key player, he is captain after all. He would have to seriously weigh up whether £4m in our pocket is worthwhile and can be used elsewhere.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 26 Jan 2009 20:55

Says it all that Boro opted to sign Watson, who has never played in the Premiership than Harper. Nobody's put a bid in for him because he's useless.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 26 Jan 2009 21:02

Royalee Says it all that Boro opted to sign Watson, who has never played in the Premiership than Harper. Nobody's put a bid in for him because he's useless.

He has ideed played in the Premiership. Under Dowie, although not quite literally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Watson_(footballer)

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 26 Jan 2009 21:29

Boro wanted Harper ahead of Watson but Harper was totally uninterested, as he was with Bolton. If Fulham enquired I suspect Harper would be more interested but he's got no desire to move north.

Friday's Child

by Friday's Child » 27 Jan 2009 07:35

Harper to Middlesbrough now raised in today's Daily Mail - £5m......

I am still slightly shocked. Fulham and now Boro again. Either us Reading fans are all blinkered and the aforementioned clubs are foolish, or we are missing certain key aspects of his game that only Harper can do.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 27 Jan 2009 07:59

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 27 Jan 2009 08:31

can't see Harps moving to Boro. He doesn't want to be involved in a relegation dogfight, and doesn't want to move away from his family in Essex.

he is still on the transfer list, and the club put a £5m valuation on him in the summer, so if someone does stump up the cash, will be interesting to see what the club does

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 27 Jan 2009 08:54

Also quoted in The Times as a "decent bet"

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jan 2009 09:10

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Also quoted in The Times as a "decent bet"

They had Doyle to Villa as that or possibly even more likely than that in the summer.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Jan 2009 09:30

Friday's Child Harper to Middlesbrough now raised in today's Daily Mail - £5m......

I am still slightly shocked. Fulham and now Boro again. Either us Reading fans are all blinkered and the aforementioned clubs are foolish, or we are missing certain key aspects of his game that only Harper can do.

its just 'fill the gap' rumours with boro missing out on watson so next in line must be harper

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 27 Jan 2009 10:06

Stranded
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Also quoted in The Times as a "decent bet"

They had Doyle to Villa as that or possibly even more likely than that in the summer.
Thankfully that hasn't happened and given that Villa have brought Heskey its not likely to happen now. I'd have been more worried about losing Doyle than I am about Harper. As they say everyone has his price and at £5 million I think that would be good business for Reading, I like Harper but think we could still get promoted without him. When he has been out this season we've still won games and sometimes people get abit stale if they stay with a club too long, maybe it would be in his interests and ours for him to get a new challenge. I suspect though that Mr Coppell won't want to let him go, given that he gave him the captain's armband I think it demonstrates the high regard that he holds for him. So I'm betting he won't go.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 27 Jan 2009 10:10

Friday's Child Harper to Middlesbrough now raised in today's Daily Mail - £5m......

Could you edit that please, to;

Some of us are blinkered Reading fans with little or no clue about football .....

Do not tar us all with the same brush, there are plenty of us who do recognise Harper's talents.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 27 Jan 2009 10:19

West Stand Man

Could you edit that please, to;

Some of us are blinkered Reading fans with little or no clue about football .....

Do not tar us all with the same brush, there are plenty of us who do recognise Harper's talents.

For the benefit of us doubters, would you actually mind listing the talents you refer to?? If they are so evident, and I note that you had talents, as in plural,I am sure a healthy long list will be forthcoming - look forward to digesting!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 27 Jan 2009 10:24

Sorry, was somebody talking?

Royal Man

by Royal Man » 27 Jan 2009 10:42

Lets see if he is on the teamsheet for tonight. That would give some indication on the validity of this roumor.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 27 Jan 2009 10:46

Im suprised Boro want to do any dealings with Reading after the TTC and Scorpions mindlessly attacked the Middlesbrough disabled bus 2 seasons ago. Wheels everywhere.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 27 Jan 2009 10:54

West Stand Man Sorry, was somebody talking?

Sums it up I guess - still trying to pen the first talent......all i can hear is tumbleweed!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 27 Jan 2009 11:04

Wait, I can hear a senseless mumbling in the background on my ignore list - ah that's it -- ignore.

944 posts