Shane Long

1472 posts
Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

Re: Shane Long

by Dennis the Butler » 27 Jan 2009 13:17

Jeez ... I can't believe this has reached THIRTEEN pages ! ... he has had only limited opportunities and is still young and can improve ! ... personally I like the guy ... BECAUSE HE PLAYS FOR MY TEAM !

I just hope he gets called off the bench and gets the winner tonight !! :x

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 27 Jan 2009 13:21

Tedious pcunt Jay may be, but I'd love to know how Snowball is so sure that Mooney will be more of a Doyle than a Bennett.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 27 Jan 2009 13:45

Platypuss Tedious pcunt Jay may be, but I'd love to know how Snowball is so sure that Mooney will be more of a Doyle than a Bennett.

Surely you saw at the time of the signing like the rest of us the 5 minute youtube clip of him scoring penalties and the 'great signing', 'looks a bargain' review from HNA readers?

And if that's not good enough for you then I don't know what is.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 27 Jan 2009 14:05

I find Snowball's generally well researched stats to be interesting but no more than that.
Those of us that have seen these players home and away form opinions about their capabilities and those opinions are formed by seeing players passing to the opposition,running offside,giving away needless free-kicks etc as well as the positive stats produced by Snowball regarding assists and goals.

My own view based on what I have seen is that neither Lita nor Long are up to Premiership standard and are only moderate Championship players-that is why they are only back-ups rather than starters.
My grouse is that our 4 strikers are too similar and we could do with a different option for parts of games.

One other point Snowball, managers and clubs(including ours) do not all spend ages watching players before going for them in the transfer market.
Wenger does but most rely on videos and in Coppell's case(and many others) past dealings with players at previous clubs.
Coppell watched Doyle twice and didn't rate him until he saw the player score a goal out of nothing in the dying minutes of a game in which he had done very little.
He saw Marek play once.

Bill Shankly did major research into the character of a player before signing him and took the view that anybody could watch a player on the pitch and decide how good he was but there is much more to it than that-many of the modern managers would do well to copy that approach before splashing out millions (Halford anybody?)and I can understand Coppell's approach of going for players that he knows as a safer bet but unfortunately that way is a bit limited.
Our biggest buys have been unknown players Fae,Halford and Marek who have been less than successful so there is a lot to be said for Coppell's approach however I think we do need a bit more than that in the transfer market if we are to go back up AND stay there.

Skyline

by Skyline » 27 Jan 2009 14:42

I know it's only January, but this is looking to be a very good early candidate for Thread of the Year already. :)

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 27 Jan 2009 16:43

One day Long will have a cracker of a game and fickle Royals fans will love him.
Until then, everyone will hate him. Personally, I don't think he's as bad as HNA? make him out to be.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Jan 2009 16:53

Tedious pcunt Jay may be, but I'd love to know how Snowball is so sure that Mooney will be more of a Doyle than a Bennett.

I don't, bu I just love the CERTAINTY you people posts opinions as serious facts already proven

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 27 Jan 2009 17:05

Who was the first person to write down FACT after there argument. They are the winner, we can then lock this thread up.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 27 Jan 2009 17:10

Nearly 15% of posts from Snowball has the word FACT in. That is a higher percentage compared to Lita's headers on target in the 6th minute of every game against Dagenham & Redbridge at home, not away. Shane Long is better

FACT

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Jan 2009 17:27

Who was the first person to write down FACT after there argument.

the word is "their" (ask HarpUr)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Jan 2009 17:30

Maybe tonight HarpUr will be totally dominant, play fantastic through balls
for Kebe to score twice... then Wolves pull back two 2-2 and S Hunt gives away
a penalty. We're losing 2-3 with 5 minutes to go, Long comes on and scores two headers
from brilliant Kebe crosses

or maybe not

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Jan 2009 18:11

Huntley & Palmer
Woodcote Royal I've already said elsewhere that Sidwell is doing well this season but am at a loss to understand why a mod would wish to undermine a thread on a completely different topic unless, of course, the truth really hurts that much.

Whatever you think of Snowball's views, unlike most he's backed them up time and again with hard facts and if that earns him little but ridicule from those who are supposed to run this forum, there really is nothing left to say.

I simply bring it up as an example of someone that generally talks a load of bollocks, i.e. you. Snowball just manages to come up with a load of stats and a statement about how he has played football for 20 years and managed a team of kids for 5, so he therefore must be providing us with an educated opinion. So it's still a big LOL. I also fail to see what my rare moderation of this forum has to do with my opinion on whether someone is a complete joke or not

Moderators set standards and above is yet another example of how pathetically low you place the bar.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 27 Jan 2009 18:42

Woodcote Royal Moderators set standards and above is yet another example of how pathetically low you place the bar.

You should be grateful - it's probably the only reason you're still allowed to post.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Jan 2009 23:10

And it's certainly the reason why many of those who make the kind of contributions that go way over H & P's head no longer bother...................let's face it, why raise the bar when you can rescue your little friend instead.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 27 Jan 2009 23:34

SpaceCruiser
Jay is one of those silly pcunts who think that, having never seen Mooney in action, he's never played for the first team therefore he must be crap. This approach, of course, totally ignores whoever is in the first team and the people in the squad have to compete for limited spaces in the starting team. Doyle and Hunt are both in form and Lita and Long are, at the moment, ahead of Mooney. Does not mean that Mooney is totally crap.

Unlike you, you triple chinned fanny fart, I do catch a few res' games. Mooney is lacking in almost every department needed for this level. He was a cheeky punt that isn't coming off.

Skyline

by Skyline » 28 Jan 2009 11:39

Snowball Tedious pcunt Jay may be, but I'd love to know how Snowball is so sure that Mooney will be more of a Doyle than a Bennett.

I don't, bu I just love the CERTAINTY you people posts opinions as serious facts already proven

Oh for Pete's sake, will you learn to use the oxf*rd quote facility? It's quite easy - see the bloody great button with 'QUOTE' written on it at the top right of each message? Hit that and the board will do all the work for you.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 04 Feb 2009 17:33

Bumping this as it is good to read while listening to this weeks podcast. :-)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Feb 2009 18:15

Oh for Pete's sake, will you learn to use the oxf*rd quote facility? It's quite easy - see the bloody great button with 'QUOTE' written on it at the top right of each message? Hit that and the board will do all the work for you.

When you learn to ask nicely, sweetheart.

Skyline

by Skyline » 05 Feb 2009 10:27

Snowball Oh for Pete's sake, will you learn to use the oxf*rd quote facility? It's quite easy - see the bloody great button with 'QUOTE' written on it at the top right of each message? Hit that and the board will do all the work for you.

When you learn to ask nicely, sweetheart.

The funny thing is, you don't even realise how stupid it makes you look, do you? I mean, you must actually spend the time to either c&p the bits you want and surround them with italic tags, or possibly even worse you hit the quote button and then replace the quote tags with italic ones. Why spend all that extra time when the board does it for you - time you could spend dragging up even more stats to 'prove' that Long is a good footballer.

If your posts weren't so funny (unintentionally so I suspect) you'd be straight in the Ignore bucket...

Royal1983

by Royal1983 » 05 Feb 2009 10:47

Personally I like Shane Long and people do need to get off any players back. As long as they are at the team the supporters should back any of them. However he is young and did not shine overly in the prem last time round, originally I never thought he should go on loan but looking at the difference in character it has made to Lita I now think that 2mths of first team football elsewhere would do a huge amount to his character and confidence. This may not be to everyones agreement to be honest it is my opinion and will be until I am proven wrong, which to be honest if I am then I will take it back. I would never slate a player as everyone deserves at least 3 chances if after the third they still haven't learned then there is something wrong.

1472 posts