Next Season

Bristol Paul

Next Season

by Bristol Paul » 01 Feb 2009 10:15

A bit early to contemplate I know, but looking ahead to next season, if we go up, its hard to see what the manager will do in terms of signings.

In 05/06, although I think everyone was surprised as the lack of signings on promotion, it was hard to argue with SC's view that the players deserved a chance given the 106 points and the fact they were clearly head and shoulders above everyone else in the division.

Next season worries me. Although it would be great to go up again, we clearly aren't anywhere near as good as last time, and the team would need substantial new investment in my view. Given the track record we have of not spending money, and not buying in experienced players who have "been there, done that", I personally think that we will struggle big time, because I just don't see the club changing its mentality and "going for it".

The current transfer window just re-inforces that opinion, because whilst others (not all) have spent and improved on players who will improve their first team, and can go straight in at the deep end, we, again, have just tinkered around the edges, and the 2 signings are hardly likely to either give us the edge in the run in, or be instant starters in the Premiership. In my view, we should be investing now in 2 or 3 "quality" players, ie experienced first teamers, with a view on them being good enough if we get promoted. Others and the manager may argue that keeping the likes of Hunt and Harper is as good as a new signing, but as the majority on here seem to agree, neither of these two are good enough, and in fact have been verging on hopeless for a large part of the season.

Thoughts?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Season

by Royal Lady » 01 Feb 2009 10:19

FWIW I completely agree. But you'll be shot down by people who are so blinkered they think we're playing fantastically well and won't struggle at all.

I'm convinced Coppell will leave at the end of the season, whether we go up or not and that's going to be another major factor. I'd like to see us have Curbishley in his place, if he does go, as he's a similar sort of manager. We NEED to invest in the team, but I doubt we will.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 01 Feb 2009 10:21

Royal Lady I'm convinced Coppell will leave at the end of the season, whether we go up or not and that's going to be another major factor.

And a new Chairman perhaps?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Feb 2009 10:22

Seriously, no-one will want to buy us.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Feb 2009 10:46

Bristol Paul In 05/06, although I think everyone was surprised as the lack of signings on promotion, it was hard to argue with SC's view that the players deserved a chance given the 106 points and the fact they were clearly head and shoulders above everyone else in the division.

Next season worries me. Although it would be great to go up again, we clearly aren't anywhere near as good as last time, and the team would need substantial new investment in my view. Given the track record we have of not spending money, and not buying in experienced players who have "been there, done that", I personally think that we will struggle big time, because I just don't see the club changing its mentality and "going for it".

Thoughts?

Your two points identify exactly the difference in the two positions.

Last time the team as a whole deserved its chance - hence little money was expended

This time it might take more surgery - possibly more money needs to be spend - BUT WISELY. I don't want the club ripped apart financially gambling and losing.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Feb 2009 10:54

Bristol Paul A bit early to contemplate I know, but looking ahead to next season, if we go up, its hard to see what the manager will do in terms of signings.

In 05/06, although I think everyone was surprised as the lack of signings on promotion, it was hard to argue with SC's view that the players deserved a chance given the 106 points and the fact they were clearly head and shoulders above everyone else in the division.

The current transfer window just re-inforces that opinion, because whilst others (not all) have spent and improved on players who will improve their first team, and can go straight in at the deep end, we, again, have just tinkered around the edges, and the 2 signings are hardly likely to either give us the edge in the run in, or be instant starters in the Premiership. In my view, we should be investing now in 2 or 3 "quality" players, ie experienced first teamers, with a view on them being good enough if we get promoted. Others and the manager may argue that keeping the likes of Hunt and Harper is as good as a new signing, but as the majority on here seem to agree, neither of these two are good enough, and in fact have been verging on hopeless for a large part of the season.

Thoughts?

Hard to say, confidence plays a major part in staying in that league, or any league, but especially if it's a tough league and the top tier is tough!
The arse fell out of the team this time last year and we never got it back.
Although the sympathetic comments about us, not deserving, or unlucky to go down is nice to hear, it's not true.
I've had no worries about getting promoted this year, and we need to be as ready as we can be for Premiership football.
I have absolutely no concern about the players that Coppell plays this season, because I trust his decisions.
We're more than good enough to go up.
Next season, there may be a few problems.
If I was Coppell this time around, I would anticipate a worse-case scenario, ie relegation back to the Championship.
We are not near the side we were a couple of years when we were last in that league, and that confidence, unity and also being a damn good footballing side all carried us through and amazed the Prem and ourselves.
This time, it is different, we need to upgrade and get it all right sharpish.
Although some fans (amazingly quoted on here) see being a yo-yo club being a good thing, anyone with any sense realises that this is a pointless situation.
Assuming the obvious happens and we do go up, Coppell will stay, I am sure of that.
Making sure that everyone (that he wants to keep) from the Kitman upwards is totally dedicated to RFC for the season ahead and undistracted from any bollox whatsoever.
Next, improving the team all across the board, Coppell is no sentimentalist, it does you no favours and he'll be honest as to who can play at that level, he's had his fingers burnt in regards to that before and he is no mug.
Where possible financially, and otherwise buy the right players to compliment and fit in...
Who and how to buy, I don't really have a clue...
Who I feel cannot take us through the next level, of course there are a few players...

What is important to understand is that this side is not as good as the 05/06 team, looking back Coppell was right in the first season) in not rocking the boat.
This time, the team requires some of the current first team to be relegated to cover and 'improvements' brought in in quite a few positions...

I anticipate a very, very busy pre-season, should the obvious happens this season.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 01 Feb 2009 11:06

This is insane

You can't start complaining about next season already
Last edited by Jack Celliers on 01 Feb 2009 11:21, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Feb 2009 11:09

???

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 01 Feb 2009 11:25

Royal Lady FWIW I completely agree. But you'll be shot down by people who are so blinkered they think we're playing fantastically well and won't struggle at all.

I'm convinced Coppell will leave at the end of the season, whether we go up or not and that's going to be another major factor. I'd like to see us have Curbishley in his place, if he does go, as he's a similar sort of manager. We NEED to invest in the team, but I doubt we will.

Don't think you'll find many on here saying we're playing fantastic RL but we are playing a way that is effective in this league. As for Coppell, I also thought he might leave but the window has changed my mind a bit. I doubt that Tabb would have signed had he not been sure that Coppell was intending to stay at the club.
As for next year, we'd certainly need to invest but a lot will depend on the bigger picture in terms of football finances. Clubs finances are much like those of the banks (less than robust !) and it can't be sustained. In that respect we are well placed in that investment of our part may cooincide with divestiture on the part of others i.e smaller squads, lower wages etc
I read the article in the Mail about Newcastle with interest yesterday. The N.E derby isn't sold out today which tells you a lot about future revenue. Add in the contractual obligations to the players and relegation could turn them into another Leeds. How many more out there I wonder.
Anyway, let's hope we back to the Prem so that we can see what happens next :)

Elliott

by Elliott » 01 Feb 2009 11:33

I agree with most stuff said on here, except for Jack - we're actually being positive in saying we will be playing Prem football next season.

I do think that several positions will need to be replaced though...

Noel Hunt, although his instant partnership with Doyle has been great, I am still not convinced that he would score enough goals in the Premier League to make him a worthwhile starter. It seems to me that Lita needs to continue his rise back into good form and work more on his partnership with Doyle, as they are our only two strikers who I think are "Prem quality", with Noel replacing Shane as our "impact sub".

With regards to our two Icelandic veterans, although they have now become a core of our team, they are aging and I think Ingi for one would get demolished by the pace of Agbonlahor and Walcott etc.

Overall, the 3 signings I consider important would be a reliable, fast CB, a new holding midfielder, and if the Lita/Doyle partnership fails to work, then we would need a £5+ Premiership striker.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 01 Feb 2009 11:45

Rating a players worth on pure cost is not the way forward. In the overinflated transfer market a £5 mill signing does not always indicate more footballing worth than a £1 mill player. Maybe more desirability and competition for the player = overinflated pricing), but RFC buy players who (mostly) fit into the team dynamics on a personal and professional level. Finding a blend of hunger, proven mental and physical ability and fitting into the grand scheme of things is so much more key than the price on a players head.

BallRoyal

by BallRoyal » 01 Feb 2009 11:59

Brizzle Paul, chill out.
Next season miles away. Lets get there first and worry later.
For me this is good, exciting season again.
I still think we are going to be a yo-yo club for a while in the future.
Looking forward to beating the shitheads Feb 21st.
Brizzle Steve. :D :D :D

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Feb 2009 12:40

Upon promotion, Lita will be released and Long hopefully loaned out. Then we will need two strikers, at least one of whom must be 6'0 or more. Also esstential will be a defensive midfielder of sufficent quality (ie better than Cisse). Finally, we'll need another centre half to play with Bikey. Mensah isn't going to happen now (bloody Lyon) so we'll need a new target.

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 01 Feb 2009 13:05

I agree it is insane to discuss next season BUT there is a major issue it brings to the fore. There is clearly a policy from SJM to keep well within the specified budget and SC seems content to work within that philosophy unless he is making a well disguised fuss behind the scenes. Coppell is no mug . He must know this squad is nowhere near strong enough to survive in the prem. Look at the millions the likes of Stoke and Hull are throwing at their survival bid. Are we prepared to do that if we go up ? Has the 30 million we got for last year plus 12 million for this year been saved to be targetted at that problem or has JM taken some back to recoup what the club owes him. I think the fans are owed some transparency on this subject. If the money is not there because it has been used to pay off some of the investment needed to get us the ground we have now perhaps that is fair enough but tell us. Otherwise spend the £30 million now or in the future to try to turn us in to a Bolton or a Blackburn (who have a similar crowd base). The money has come in....where has it gone ??? Or has this been made public and I have missed it.
Last edited by Percy's Rocket on 01 Feb 2009 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Feb 2009 13:05

We wont invest enough to stay in premiership if we get there - we need a change at the top - Sir Syrup waxes lyrical about Coppell because he is an effective shoestring budget manager (Palace/Brentford/Brighton)- we should of learned our lessons regarding our deficiencies from last season - sadly I dont think we will have and with Sir Syrup in charge, I can see a repeat performance

We are no better equipped this time than last time

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Feb 2009 13:13

Reading need to sign pretty much an entire new team minus three or four players (goalkeeper, Pearce, Bikey and Doyle) in order to have a side capable of establishing itself in the Premiership. This is why for all the bluster, I still don't see that any improvement whatsoever has been made in the last three years - if anything we've gone backwards.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 01 Feb 2009 13:14

Royal Lady Seriously, no-one will want to buy us.

You must be a bundle of laughs to live with. Have you got a single positive thought to grasp on to?

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 01 Feb 2009 13:22

Be fair WSM living with a manic depressive like Schards must have rubbed off on her.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 01 Feb 2009 13:26

It's is all a gamble anyway. Nothing can be done to prepare for the premier until we know if we are promoted. Even then wheeling and dealing with players can still be a totally unquantifiable factor. The first season in the premier was full of dead and fear about continual hammerings and this was a real surprise. We took teams of with pure grit and a good team ethic that was buoyed up but confidence and ability. Sidwells impact that season was also telling. The second season was more about midfield partnerships, players going missing on the pitch and less patience in our style of play. We got found out and when chasing the game the midfield allowed too many teams to surge directly through the centre. This season the speculative lump it and see has come to the fore in our style of play and this route one style of play will not cut it in the premier league. It will only have a limited impact and we need to get back to building and holding play which is controlled and effective from midfield.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Feb 2009 14:15

royalexile It's is all a gamble anyway. Nothing can be done to prepare for the premier until we know if we are promoted. Even then wheeling and dealing with players can still be a totally unquantifiable factor. The first season in the premier was full of dead and fear about continual hammerings and this was a real surprise. We took teams of with pure grit and a good team ethic that was buoyed up but confidence and ability. Sidwells impact that season was also telling. The second season was more about midfield partnerships, players going missing on the pitch and less patience in our style of play. We got found out and when chasing the game the midfield allowed too many teams to surge directly through the centre. This season the speculative lump it and see has come to the fore in our style of play and this route one style of play will not cut it in the premier league. It will only have a limited impact and we need to get back to building and holding play which is controlled and effective from midfield.

Effective midfield - totally agree
James Harper - definitely not the answer to it!