Away end - Ticket allocation

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Away end - Ticket allocation

by Dirk Gently » 21 Feb 2009 21:29

2.8 lita injection
Dirk Gently
North Somerset Royal ...... Having failed to sell out the South Stand to home supporters for the Wolves game once again the club have put financial gain before the interests of the team and supporters. ....

Isn't financial gain also the gain of the team and supporters. It's not like the money goes into anyone's pocket - it pays the players and coaches and reduces the financial deficit of being in the Championship but running the football side of the club on a PL budget (e.g. number of coaches, keeping ProZone on, etc).

LOL

I know the maths, you are truly exposing yourself as bank manager.......

Short Term ****

No, just someone living in the real world.

Are you really saying the club should choose to turn down an income of approx. £40K? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 21 Feb 2009 21:36

North Somerset Royal I complained about this on the Policies Board 2 weeks ago when the decision was made only to be told "it will make for a great atmosphere" Well it did but unfortunately only in the away end. Having failed to sell out the South Stand to home supporters for the Wolves game once again the club have put financial gain before the interests of the team and supporters. Then to cap it all Coppell has the cheek to criticise home fans for being out sung by the City and leaving early!

The only saving grace today was the excellent City fans who I thought were superb. Large numbers, loud and good-humoured.

A bit like we were at their place.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 21 Feb 2009 21:56

But according to Coppells post match interview theyt were a factor in our downfall!

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 21 Feb 2009 22:01

Are you really saying the club should choose to turn down an income of approx. £40K? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes if Coppell is right that their support was a significant factor in their beating us. If the points lost today cost us promotion it wil be a loss of many millions more than £40K

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 21 Feb 2009 22:20

North Somerset Royal But according to Coppells post match interview theyt were a factor in our downfall!

Unusually for him, Coppell is talking bollocks.

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 21 Feb 2009 22:34

No, just someone living in the real world.

Are you really saying the club should choose to turn down an income of approx. £40K? :shock: :shock: :shock:[/quote]

Can anyone tell me where that money actully goes though because judging by the lack of "top" players choosing reading over the likes of wigan it doesnt go to players wages?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Feb 2009 12:08

North Somerset Royal

Yes if Coppell is right that their support was a significant factor in their beating us. If the points lost today cost us promotion it wil be a loss of many millions more than £40K

Is it worth considering that maybe the 19k Royals fans at the game coul dhave done a touch more to counter the City fans ?

It's not the clubs fault that 4k City fans sang and the 19k Royals fans didn't.

Try looking at where the real blame lies....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Feb 2009 12:10

Do some people REALLY think that if the Reading fans had sung and clapped all the way through the game, the result would have been reversed or something? :shock:

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 22 Feb 2009 12:17

Royal Lady Do some people REALLY think that if the Reading fans had sung and clapped all the way through the game, the result would have been reversed or something? :shock:

+1

Russell Street

by Russell Street » 22 Feb 2009 12:53

Jerry St Clair
The only saving grace today was the excellent City fans who I thought were superb. Large numbers, loud and good-humoured.

A bit like we were at their place.

Sun Tzu Is it worth considering that maybe the 19k Royals fans at the game coul dhave done a touch more to counter the City fans ?

It's not the clubs fault that 4k City fans sang and the 19k Royals fans didn't.

I was pleased that someone was making some noise. The Brizzle fans were having a great time as did we at their place. I don't begrudge them that, as I would hope any supporter appreciates what it's like to be in an enthusiastical bunch of supporters.

We should applaud any set of fans who can bring passion to the ground. God knows we need some at our place.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Feb 2009 12:57

Royal Lady Do some people REALLY think that if the Reading fans had sung and clapped all the way through the game, the result would have been reversed or something? :shock:

Don't think so. Has anyone suggested that ?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 22 Feb 2009 13:30

Yesterdays BC support were fantastic before the game, mostly during and were a great sight to see jumping up and down at the end. To have countered the volume of their support yesterday would have been fantastic. The stunned silence from our support reflected the game on the pitch. We just haven't got the level of support who can unify a song and keep it going. We're not the only club to suffer as such.

In relation to our home support we are simply too reserved, or if a chant goes up it is either countering against another started further down the east or north stand. In the south when we have this allocation this is usually taken up by the occasional supporter who might be experiencing their first game. The demograhics of the clubs support and seating positions cannot help as even vocal suporters can get cowed by the smirking or disaproving glance should they dare to get too vocal. Can the club sort this out. ST tickets moved into a block area for those who wish to support the club in like minded unison. This could be achievable but does not take into concideration groupings who are happy sitting in their seats with their mates for this get together.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 22 Feb 2009 14:28

royalexile Yesterdays BC support were fantastic before the game, mostly during and were a great sight to see jumping up and down at the end. To have countered the volume of their support yesterday would have been fantastic. The stunned silence from our support reflected the game on the pitch. We just haven't got the level of support who can unify a song and keep it going. We're not the only club to suffer as such.

I know I'm going over old ground here, but the atmosphere in Y26 was excellent for the first 15 mins yesterday.

What happened on 15 mins? The tangoes came up the stairs and set about making the 200 or so people who were standing sit down. I don't want to re-open the debate on this, but it absolutely DID kill the atmosphere stone dead (this was long before Bristol City took the lead and was in the early period when the game was still quite finely balanced).

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Feb 2009 14:50

Sun Tzu

Don't think so. Has anyone suggested that ?
Err yeah, the following posts seemed to suggest it....

Sun Tzu
North Somerset Royal

Is it worth considering that maybe the 19k Royals fans at the game coul dhave done a touch more to counter the City fans ?It's not the clubs fault that 4k City fans sang and the 19k Royals fans didn't.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Feb 2009 15:42

No, my post makes no mention of changing the result.

It suggests that the noise from the City fans could have been countered if the hugely greater number of home fans had made more noise.

The 'blame' for allowing 4k City fans to outshout the 19k home fans lies with the home fans.

The result is determined by many things, primarily what happens on the pitch.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 22 Feb 2009 16:02

Sun Tzu No, my post makes no mention of changing the result.

It suggests that the noise from the City fans could have been countered if the hugely greater number of home fans had made more noise.

The 'blame' for allowing 4k City fans to outshout the 19k home fans lies with the home fans.

Precisely. Coppell said in the post match interview that the away support being louder than the home was a factor. He did not claim that we would have won had we out sung them. My point is that if he is right that vocal support has an influence should the club put filling the South Stand and banking £40K ahead of giving our lads the best chance of winning. Also I think that his implied criticsm of the home support is a bit of a cheek given that it was the club who decided to let City have more than the statutory 10% allocation.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Feb 2009 16:07

North Somerset Royal
Sun Tzu No, my post makes no mention of changing the result.

Precisely. Coppell said in the post match interview that the away support being louder than the home was a factor. He did not claim that we would have won had we out sung them. My point is that if he is right that vocal support has an influence should the club put filling the South Stand and banking £40K ahead of giving our lads the best chance of winning. Also I think that his implied criticsm of the home support is a bit of a cheek given that it was the club who decided to let City have more than the statutory 10% allocation.

But shouldn't 19k home fans still have been able to make more noise than 3.5k away fans ?

If the home fans didn't take up the South Stand tickets then that's down to us, if the 19k didn;t make much noise that is down to us. To be honest even if we'd given City 2k tickets they would still have outsung us as it was largely the East half of the South Stand making the noise.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 22 Feb 2009 17:02

Fair points well made.

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 22 Feb 2009 18:20

Sun Tzu But shouldn't 19k home fans still have been able to make more noise than 3.5k away fans ?

No, never going to happen. Reading are like all other clubs in that the home crowd is a mix of all types of supporters, all backgrounds, all ages, and all volumes, some loud but a lot quiet. Away followings, Reading's included, will always be louder simply because a different demographic of fan will attend away games.

Plus you've got non-standing type supporters mixed into the traditionally louder areas of the ground, and it does make a difference being able to stand up. You're less likely to have these non-standing supporters in an away following as well, so unless by some miracle terracing makes a comeback the home fans will always start at a disadvantage.

Which makes it all the more important that RFC ltd don't always put profit before results. I think it was a BAD decision to take the £40K (or whatever it was) yesterday. Bristol were always going to make a lot of noise and I do think it had a big effect on the outcome of the match. Say we need a result against Brum on the last day and there's a chance we won't sell out, will we give Brum the whole of the South?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Feb 2009 18:21

Yes. Probably. But if we need a result against Brum for that game, I'm pretty certain fans will be making slightly more noise than they did yesterday.