The non-league thread 2008/9

489 posts
Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The non-league thread 2008/9

by Tredder » 19 Feb 2009 11:42

Beavers have Wealdstone in the cup tonight and then a tricky game away to Bath City on saturday

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 19 Feb 2009 13:50

Four Of Clubs
Compo's Hat Fisher Athletic at home on Tuesday.

... the very same Fisher who are all over the news :roll: for having tried out a lady manager in last nights defeat - possibly their 12th in a row! (that's defeats NOT ladies) :shock:

Hope you aren't going to jinx the Magpies - they've just picked up a bit of form when they need it most i.e. during unfortunate off the field events.

I'm still yet to see them win a game! Sure i'm in to double figures now. Might stay away so i can't be blamed.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 21 Feb 2009 18:28

Weymouth :shock:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Feb 2009 19:16

W&E won 5-1 away at the team in 6th, Cinderford. They really are a street ahead of everyone in their league... except maybe Truro who won 4-2 away at Gosport. (So still 3 points ahead with a game in hand of Truro.)

Next week could see a goal-fest at Stag Meadow.

North Leigh, the team W&E beat 4-0 and made look like amateurs last week (yes, I know!) went to AFC Hayes and won 4-0 today.

W&E play AFC Hayes at home next week.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Feb 2009 20:33

The whole year inn Weymouth :shock:

It could carry on in the short-term, too. Weymouth had not paid its players in 2009, and was forced to field a youth team as first-teamers were told they were free to leave to find othr clubs/paid work.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 21 Feb 2009 22:28

The Beavers win again.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2009 22:30

RT lost 2-0 at Ardley

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 22 Feb 2009 00:23

RT lost 2-0 at Ardley

- chap I know toddled along to this one - by all accounts Town mirrored the performance of their more illustrious neighbours - a team which has been scoring for fun looked well below par - ended the game with 10 men - keeper sent off supposedly for mouthing off at Ref?

Apparantly our Drumming friend was there, albeit somewhat more subdued than usual - probably caught the malaise of his team?

Bad time to lose - everyone around them who played won - Town now down to 6th level on points with Highworth who are putting some good results together.

Elsewhere bad days for:
Bracknell lost 0-4 H v Thatcham though Winchester & Andover both lost too
Maidenhead lost 0-2 H v Team Baah

...and
Basingstoke 0-0 with Dorchester
Farnborough 0-0 with Gloucester C

... finally more 'glum' news -
P@xford won 1-0 vs The Stags now only 2 points off a play off spot :shock:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 22 Feb 2009 11:48

Four Of Clubs - chap I know toddled along to this one - by all accounts Town mirrored the performance of their more illustrious neighbours - a team which has been scoring for fun looked well below par - ended the game with 10 men - keeper sent off supposedly for mouthing off at Ref?

Apparantly our Drumming friend was there, albeit somewhat more subdued than usual - probably caught the malaise of his team?

Bad time to lose - everyone around them who played won - Town now down to 6th level on points with Highworth who are putting some good results together.

Elsewhere bad days for:
Bracknell lost 0-4 H v Thatcham though Winchester & Andover both lost too
Maidenhead lost 0-2 H v Team Baah

...and
Basingstoke 0-0 with Dorchester
Farnborough 0-0 with Gloucester C

... finally more 'glum' news -
P@xford won 1-0 vs The Stags now only 2 points off a play off spot :shock:

There's nothing glum about Thatchers beating the 'Nell on their own patch.

jocombes

by jocombes » 22 Feb 2009 14:15

Match Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTPwFRL2MEo

Barmy Army Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbpbY6Iz8jA

Match Report

Ardley United 2-0 Reading Town

In the opening minutes Reading Town had the chance to take an early lead but the header from Campo went over the bar. Soon after Ardley United had an opportunity to go 1-0 up but the effort was flashed over the bar. United were building with confidence and this saw another effort fizz over the bar in the sixth minute. Ardley were getting closer to scoring the opening goal and this saw them hit the side netting. The blues kept on pressing which meant another fierce shot go over Chris Grace’s head in the 15th minute. Reading Town were forced into an early substitution just 5 minutes later after Aaron Parfitt sustained a back injury which saw Ian Brooks replace him. A few minutes later Reading Town had a decent chance to go ahead but the header was off target. Ardley United were awarded for their continuous pressure which saw them score in the 26th minute when the ball was cleverly lobbed over Chris Grace into an empty net. Ardley United doubled their lead in the 30th minute when a high lofted ball was put into the box and Chris Grace was caught in two minds whether to catch or palm it over. In the end he didn’t do either of those things, so the ball rattled against the bar and the rebound fell to an awaiting striker who tucked into the bottom left hand corner. The Town tried to pull a goal back in the 37th minute when Graham Lewis’s effort was cleared off the line. With only 2 minutes before half time saw another chance go begging for the Town when Gareth Tucker’s punch from a corner failed to get any distance and Campo put it back into the box only for Graham to fire over.

Reading Town made early progress in the 2nd half when a spectacular overhead kick sailed over the bar. The Town kept piling on the pressure and this saw Danny Williamson head wide in the 48th minute. Not long after James Clark had an effort at goal which was well blocked by a man in blue. Reading Town kept plugging away, this saw James Clark have another go at goal which well saved by the keeper diving to right. The Town were getting closer by the minute which saw Danny Williamson unable to latch onto a ball to guide it into the back of the net in the 61st minute. Reading Town were then down to 10 men in the 65th minute after Chris Grace was given a straight red because of his bad language towards the ref. With no reserve keeper on the bench Scott Rees stepped up and put on the gloves and shirt for the remaining 25 minutes of the game. In the 81st minute saw a change with both Graham/Danny being replaced by Oliveira & Gjoca. With 5 minutes to go in the game the Reading boys were still looking for a goal and this saw a shot from James Clark palmed over the bar.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 22 Feb 2009 14:52

Jesus
Wept

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Feb 2009 15:21

Oh Christ - I don't know what to say. I feel a little sick...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Feb 2009 19:30

Sorry RR (try attending)

that was brilliant.

Broke my RT cherry last week, pleased to say that 3 blokes/boys show more passion and raise more smiles than the entire EastStand.

Getting back to that game (RT 8 Shrivvy 0.............their keeper (Alford?) bawled out many an F and C word loudly when totally unnessesary...I was totally disgusted and had to "cover it over" when my 10 year old questioned me what he meant), Grace got sent off for the same offence?.............I will make a complaint to the Futbol.

Ross Kitteridge (Reading) MOTM for Basingstoke v Dorchester 0-0

Jahson Downes (Reading) MOTM for Bognor v high flying Chelmsford City 2-1

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 25 Feb 2009 09:23

1-0 and you fukked it up, sang the hardcore Beaver massive.

2-1 to the Beavers and another game unbeaten, 9 behind AFC Wimbledon with a game in hand and AFC to play, still a long shot, but 13 points for the good in the play off spot, so a play off place virtually guaranteed again.

I think Maiders won 1-0 as well, now that would be a good crack.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 25 Feb 2009 10:35

Yup - Magpies won 1-0 vs Fisher - some fellah called (Mustapha) Tiryaki/Tyriaki (?) scored (66th min) - thought that was a Chinese Sauce?? 8)

H&Y won too but Maidenhead now firmly back in play-off spot again after a bit of a slump.

Good to see Chelmsford c@ck up against Team Baah too - bet the 'real' Bath are happy they've finally got above their 'stundent lodgers' now. :)

Eastleigh at the Exiles tonight could be important. They then play the Magpies at home on Saturday.

Elsewhere Farnboro stuck 7 past the Fizzers (Sandhurst) but it was only in the Aldersh!t Senior Cup - so guess it was probably only a mix of 1st team & fringe players.

In the SOUTHERN ONE SW
- Robins got a point vs Gosport
- Diddy beat AFC Hayes
- Thatcham won 3-1 vs Cirencester
... and in the battle of the basement ...
Andover won 3-1 vs Winchester to go three points clear of Bracknell.

W&E stay top three points clear of Truro, though neither side have a MW game - should both win comfortably on Saturday - Royalists H vs AFC Hayes & Truro host Abingdon Utd.

... bit nearer home ...

Reading Town took the quick trip up to just the otherside of P@xford [Kidlington] and lost (again :roll: ) 2-1 to stay marooned in 6th.

Never really threatened to overcome their spirited but limited opponents - had a chance for an undeserved lead @ 1-1 but fluffed a penalty - Kiddy then went down the other end and scored a corker after the (stand-in?) keeper spilled the ball and a forward volleyed through a crowd into the net.

LDB was there (with his Dad I think) and a glut of other fans, mostly kids (well about half-a-doz. :? ) making a lot of noise - was actually difficult to see/hear who they were supporting - think some more 'Town' fans turned up to boost the noise - was all fairly good natured.
He had his Video Camera too - so expect we'll see the 'highlights' on here later? :|

In the same division Hungerford won again to stay 9 pts clear of 2nd placed Shortwood (who play at Shrivenham tonight) - back in 3rd Witney beat bottom side Harrow Hill 5-1.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 25 Feb 2009 10:44

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm

Maggers 3 points ahead of H&Y, i think we will see Team Bath being the main dangers to that play off spot, Beavers Maggers would be my preference.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 25 Feb 2009 10:56

Jerry St Clair

Jesus
Wept

A new low.

Un

Be

lievable

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 25 Feb 2009 10:59

That clip fully explains RTFC

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Feb 2009 11:01

AthleticoSpizz that was brilliant, pleased to say that 3 blokes/boys show more passion and raise more smiles than the entire EastStand.

:shock:

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Feb 2009 12:00

Alan Partridge
Jerry St Clair

Jesus
Wept

A new low.

Un

Be

lievable

AP,What's going on with Torquay?
I have some significant bets that include Torquay each-way including 16/1 after their poor start.
Is there a reason?
Have they signed a 3rd or 4th choice league keeper again (ref.last season's dire signing of our lad)?
I only want top 3 so can you give me continuing hope?

489 posts