To the East Stand: please stop 'supporting' my club

163 posts
who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

Re: To the East Stand: please stop 'supporting' my club

by who are ya? » 23 Feb 2009 11:53

2 world wars, 1 world cup We'll never have the Southbank atmosphere but we sure as hell (when I used to be a chantstarter at least) used to support our boys game in game out at the Madstad in the past and there is no excuse not to now.

The East Stand never had a game changing atmosphere when we was in Division 2 when you could hardly acuse anyone of being a glory hunter. Yes, you would always have a group of people willing to make some sort of difference, but I don't think Saturday was much worse than we've seen over the years. So, talking about how the East Stand used to be is pretty much complete bollocks.
We do not have an earth shattering passionate support, never will do. Simples.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 23 Feb 2009 12:05

Huntley & Palmer It's simple, this club does not have the number of supporters with the same level of pride, belief and passion than a lot of others. That's fine, you can't 'create' this within a fan base it needs to be there historically. We have a small hard core of supporters who do their best home & away but ultimately are drowned out by the people that go along to watch football in a safe environment, probably with their families and that is their Saturday. I'd never question how someone wishes to support their club, their presence at a match is enough in my book, so threads like this really are as pointless and pathetic as the people that start them.

Post of the day.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 23 Feb 2009 12:10

I think the poor atmosphere Saturday is born out of frustation due to the absolute dross we've been served up in the last 2 months. The fans can see Coppell fcuking this season up, just like he did last year and we can't do anything about it. Added to that you've got want away players clearly not putting a shift in (Harper, Doyle and Hunt) so it makes it hard to swallow at the moment.

By the way the amazing City fans were quiet when we stuffed them at Ashton Gate.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Feb 2009 12:11

Scarface
By the way the amazing City fans were quiet when we stuffed them at Ashton Gate.

In a nutshell

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 23 Feb 2009 14:15

The lack of terracing is the reason behind the poor atmosphere at the Mad stad.

Stand up and sing your heart out, sit down and can't be arsed!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Feb 2009 15:37

reading98 Idiot the east stand give as much support as the stewards allow they chuck you out for standing they chuck you out for bad language half the fans around me have been issued with warnings I am sorry I used to chant all the time but had to many tellings off now I just dont bother I save my chanting for away games.

I do have to say that the club's stance on bad language appears somewhat hypocritical. They show videos to the crowd stating that bad language is unacceptable but just how many 'f & c' words do people think that the likes of Dillon, Downes and most of the team used during Saturday's game?!!

Yet the moment a supporter gets carried away by frustration at the incompetence displayed by match officials, players or management and utters a swear word in the heat of the moment, he/she gets a warning.

They should perhaps look at the language used by their own employees before they start picking up on supporters. When were any of the team/management warned about their language? I'm sure they will say that the language used by the team/management is in the heat of the moment and that it's difficult to avoid. So how come the same doesn't apply to supporters, many of who care far more passionately about what is happening on/off the pitch than any RFC employee?

And that doesn't mean that I think passion should be used to excuse continuous and/or unprompted 'Ramsey speak'!

jocombes

by jocombes » 23 Feb 2009 18:40

What about supporting Reading Town as your second team??? Then support the Royals when they are away!!! You can stand at Scours Lane, cheap , good fun and a great laugh......plus more

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 23 Feb 2009 18:47

jocombes What about supporting Reading Town as your second team??? Then support the Royals when they are away!!! You can stand at Scours Lane, cheap , good fun and a great laugh......plus more

This is a Reading FC Team board. HTFH. :roll:

jocombes

by jocombes » 23 Feb 2009 18:56

SLAMMED
jocombes What about supporting Reading Town as your second team??? Then support the Royals when they are away!!! You can stand at Scours Lane, cheap , good fun and a great laugh......plus more

You always mention how the support is rubbish so why not be a part of the atmosphere at Scours Lane.......at least then you will be able to sing without feeling others around you are not interested in singing plus you can stand!!!

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 23 Feb 2009 18:57

jocombes
SLAMMED

You always mention how the support is rubbish

Do i?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Feb 2009 19:01

F*cking hell, Slammed and RTFC Drummer arguing amongst themselves - what a meeting of minds that promises to be :roll:

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 23 Feb 2009 19:02

You love it.

jocombes

by jocombes » 23 Feb 2009 19:18

SLAMMED Do i?
[/quote]

Well maybe not you but a lot of the others are fed up with the non vocal fans at Reading FC :oops: :roll:

Very near...far away

by Very near...far away » 23 Feb 2009 22:05

Until such time as the East Stand (or any stand come to think of it) can sing out word for word the lyrics of "Matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs" by Brian & Michael we will be forever in the shadows of those truly great supporters at every other club in the world.

Google that, kids.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 23 Feb 2009 22:17

Look we are all know the atmosphere generated by 18,000 self-conscious, middle class IT professionals & their families is never going to be the greatest.

If you want to join in the chants there are sit at the south end of the east stand.

If you still thinks that's rubbish then Reading Town or Maidenhead will let you stand.

But to hate it, moan constantly and do nothing to change something you hate seems a tad perverse.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Feb 2009 22:37

Our support has always been shit, we are reading super reading a family club which contains fans who stick around for no more than 2 seasons!!

Nevertheless the set up of the ground does not help IMO

Making the north stand full of loyal royals instead of plastics is a stupid idea i think it would be better if the bloody stadium staff/ stewards moved all the loyals to y25/26, that will give us best possible chance of some atmosphere in the ground!!

there is enough security in place to ensure crowd trouble is kept to a minimum.... unless SWINDON turn up :)

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Feb 2009 22:39

we need some RFC chants, even that 106 points one seemed ok to me

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 23 Feb 2009 22:40

Once were Biscuitmen But to hate it, moan constantly and do nothing to change something you hate seems a tad perverse.

I simply stopped going. HTH.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 24 Feb 2009 10:30

Yeah I know. I don't really mind the people who are quiet really, not everybody wants to shout and chant.

It's the no-marks who spend the whole game moaning and picking on individual players that ruin it for me. They've probably won the league on football manager or read the back of the Times that morning which entitles them to whine for 80 mins.

I'm going to start checking out Maidenhead, near the train station, £9 and nobody dedicated to not enjoying themselves next to you.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 24 Feb 2009 12:31

I miss the hooligans, the"boys," call them what you will but as a contribution to the vocal support they made a big difference. What happened to all the lads who used to gather near the corner flag on the South Bank? When we first moved to the Mad Stad with the unreserved seating they came along but I hardly recognise a face now. The stewarding and stadium management have ripped the heart out of this club, we are no longer supporters, merely an audience.

163 posts