Coppell out!

532 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Coppell out!

by Hoop Blah » 24 Feb 2009 10:41

The 17 Bus Both of whom were bought to go straight into the team tho.

Both? Who do you mean?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Feb 2009 12:36

Presumably not Doyle or Kitson who weren't bought to come straight in. Doyle happened to get an early chance due to injuries and excelled. Kitson was eased in, although with a fair few run outs.

Lita was certainly bought to come straight in though, as was Armstrong. Doobs is a harder one to judge IMO.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Feb 2009 12:41

I'm not sure what's worse. Utterly depressing reading or utterly depressing Reading . Actually scrap that , i do.

Our last few games have been disappointing and frustrating of course but do people honestly think our current position is grounds to dismiss the manager? Seriously? Even by the standards of fickle football fans some of the bilge on this thread takes the biscuit (pun intended). We are lying 3rd (and in effect still having promotion to the top tier in our own hands) despite being in the middle of a sticky patch. People need to forget about previous seasons especially 2005/06 because 99% of promotions simply don't happen like that. Its still in our hands and frankly if the current position had been offered to you at the beginning of the season most of you would have been climbing over your grannies to take it.

Its a football promotion campaign not a divine right and our current position is almost certainly one the vast majority of other teams and supporters would swap happily. We should be enjoying it (even the setbacks) because these are still the good times.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 24 Feb 2009 13:09

Ian Royal Presumably not Doyle or Kitson who weren't bought to come straight in. Doyle happened to get an early chance due to injuries and excelled. Kitson was eased in, although with a fair few run outs.

Lita was certainly bought to come straight in though, as was Armstrong. Doobs is a harder one to judge IMO.

Sonko's injury makes it a bit easier to judge, imo.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Feb 2009 13:12

Doobs was certainly bought to come straight into the side as a short term stop gap to cover Sonko's injury.

I don't think he was ever really in Coppell's long term plans as much as he it's transpired which is only really due to Sonko's lack of recovery and subsequent problems.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 24 Feb 2009 13:13

Ian Royal Presumably not Doyle or Kitson who weren't bought to come straight in. Doyle happened to get an early chance due to injuries and excelled. Kitson was eased in, although with a fair few run outs.

Kitson didn't go straight in because he was injured when we bought him. No real way of knowing what would have happened if he'd been fit from the start.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 24 Feb 2009 13:14

On this thread people have been talking about players hiding, one player I think is extremely guilty of this is Kevin Doyle. Last season he lost form and imo he was too content to run the channels instead of staying in the box and shooting. He never seemed to miss a chance last season because he lost confidence and didn’t seem to want to take a shot.

Lita may not be playing brilliantly but at least he’s having a shot and trying to make something happens. Doyle imo seems to be hiding again. Maybe im being too critical but it seems that Leroy seems to be able to have chances created for him (atm he’s missing but he’s not hiding like Doyle).

Doyle’s one of my fav players but I think he needs to take responsibility as a senior professional. You can’t knock a player for scoring goals but Doyle has done it “cheaply.” He seems to have scored in bursts rather than consistently.

I think it should be Nhunt and Lita next week.

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 24 Feb 2009 13:15

^^^^ Well put Vision.

The utter tripe that is spouted on here is sometimes staggering in it's stupidity and negativity. If you'd have thought "3rd in the table at this point" with 2 games in hand, at the start of the season, you'd have been happy.

Ths job of running a football club is a complex and difficult affair, as it is with any business. To read some comments, you would think that the posters are running multi-million pound business. I think not. Or in fact if they were, it wouldn't be a multi-million pound business for long. A couple of seasons in your bedroom playing football manager on a playstation doesn't make you any more knowledgable abvout football managment.

It is a problem with these want-success-now plastic fans that we have in abundance on this board, which alienates new people from joining HNA, and leaves us with little quality, thought out opinions that are worthy of any sort of debate.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 24 Feb 2009 14:02

I think what deters some from posting on HNA are those who see posts that differ in view to there own as "tripe"

Having been 2nd on Boxing Day 2004 and failing to win another league game until 12th March, not to mention 8 straight defeats en route to a very avoidable relegation, our manager has plenty of previous for post Christmas nosedives amongst some notable success .

These facts might to too depressing for some to read but that doesnt make them any less true or less worthy than the "No one should criticize our manager because we're 3rd" posts from some of our more happy clappy contributors.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 24 Feb 2009 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 24 Feb 2009 14:14

Woodcote Royal I think what deters some from posting on HNA are those who see posts that differ in view to there own as "tripe"

Having been 2nd on Boxing Day 2004 and failing to win another league game until 12th March, not to mention 8 straight defeats en route to a very avoidable relegation, our manager has plenty of previous for post Christmas nosedives amongst some notable success .

These facts might to too depressing for some to read but it doesnt make them any less true or less worthy than the "Know one should criticize our manager because we're 3rd" contributions from some of our more happy clappy contributors.

I wouldn't class myself as happy clappy!!

And I agree with some of your post, I remember that period well in 2004, though perhaps "some notable success" is a little harsh on Mr Coppell.

I think there are people who will complain when we're winning, and they are normally the prevalent ones posting on topics such as this, and I'm not RTG enough to think that all is rosy, however, I believe that there are people who post complete rubbish, whether it is in league with my opinion or not, and people need to take a reality check.

It's only a game after all.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Feb 2009 14:23

Woodcote Royal I think what deters some from posting on HNA are those who see posts that differ in view to there own as "tripe"

These facts might to too depressing for some to read but it doesnt make them any less true or less worthy than the "Know one should criticize our manager because we're 3rd" contributions from some of our more happy clappy contributors.

Some notable success!! The 2 best seasons this club has ever seen or is ever likely to see. During both those seasons there were times when the doom mongers were saying changes had to be made (including Coppell Out threads) and yet by staying loyal to players that most on here deemed not good enough he delivered. His loyalty as many have put it is just as much his strength as his weakness.

Theres a difference between criticising the manager and hanging the Coppell Out signs again which is what i'm arguing against. Do you honestly think our league position warrants the sacking of the manager??

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 24 Feb 2009 14:25

Sorry for the "happy clappy" sarcasm :D

I didn't mean to under state his 2 fantastic seasons here but some seem unwilling to admit that the last five years have been something of a roller coaster rather thaan unbridled success.

I think the biggest difference between this side and 2005-6 is that one side over achieved because it's manager got the very best out of them whereas as the cureent side is much better than it's currently performing. Which is why I'm in the camp that feels Steve Coppell increasing resembles a man who needs a break.................even though I will always be immensely grateful for the 2 best seasons in our history.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 24 Feb 2009 14:29

Ozymandias ^^^^ Well put Vision.

The utter tripe that is spouted on here is sometimes staggering in it's stupidity and negativity. If you'd have thought "3rd in the table at this point" with 2 games in hand, at the start of the season, you'd have been happy.

Ths job of running a football club is a complex and difficult affair, as it is with any business. To read some comments, you would think that the posters are running multi-million pound business. I think not. Or in fact if they were, it wouldn't be a multi-million pound business for long. A couple of seasons in your bedroom playing football manager on a playstation doesn't make you any more knowledgable abvout football managment.

It is a problem with these want-success-now plastic fans that we have in abundance on this board, which alienates new people from joining HNA, and leaves us with little quality, thought out opinions that are worthy of any sort of debate.

This is a discussion board not "Question Time" - discussion boards are to give points of view whether or not others agree with them - its not Mount Sinai where we meet Moses to get the 10 commandments - get int into perspective bit !

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 24 Feb 2009 14:31

Vision Do you honestly think our league position warrants the sacking of the manager??

No, but I think moving on regardless at the end of the season by not renewing his contract is looking a more attractive proposition by the day.

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 24 Feb 2009 14:36

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
This is a discussion board not "Question Time" - discussion boards are to give points of view whether or not others agree with them - its not Mount Sinai where we meet Moses to get the 10 commandments - get int into perspective bit !

To be honest, if that were true, it'd be a great forum for discussion.

I have it in perspective, the level of people who leap, as mentioned by Vision, on the Coppell out ! bandwagon because of a dip in form are laughable. There is not a reasoned debate, just the same churning out of the same knee-jerking reaction, which is why I rarely post.

If I'm honest, I'd be amazed if some of these people have any long term relationships, one sniff of a disagreement and they'll done for.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Feb 2009 14:37

Woodcote Royal Sorry for the "happy clappy" sarcasm :D

I didn't mean to under state his 2 fantastic seasons here but some seem unwilling to admit that the last five years have been something of a roller coaster rather thaan unbridled success.

I think the biggest difference between this side and 2005-6 is that one side over achieved because it's manager got the very best out of them whereas as the cureent side is much better than it's currently performing. Which is why I'm in the camp that feels Steve Coppell increasing resembles a man who needs a break.................even though I will always be immensely grateful for the 2 best seasons in our history.

I like the rollercoaster its much more fun. If the most severe drop of it is that in the worst case scenario we're merely play-off contenders whilst for the first time in generations seeing some of our youngsters as a genuine part of our 1st team squad and in turn keeping our financial heads above water during increasingly desperate economic times then we're in a privilidged position in my view.

FWIW I think he will take that break at the end of this season regardless of where we finish and i for one will be very sorry to see it. Reagrdless of all else our best chance of promotion this season with this group of players lies in my opinion with the man at the helm currently.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Feb 2009 14:37

Woodcote Royal Sorry for the "happy clappy" sarcasm :D

I like the rollercoaster its much more fun. If the most severe drop of it is that in the worst case scenario we're merely play-off contenders whilst for the first time in generations seeing some of our youngsters as a genuine part of our 1st team squad and in turn keeping our financial heads above water during increasingly desperate economic times then we're in a privilidged position in my view.

FWIW I think he will take that break at the end of this season regardless of where we finish and i for one will be very sorry to see it. Reagrdless of all else our best chance of promotion this season with this group of players lies in my opinion with the man at the helm currently.

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 24 Feb 2009 14:38

Woodcote Royal
Vision Do you honestly think our league position warrants the sacking of the manager??

No, but I think moving on regardless at the end of the season by not renewing his contract is looking a more attractive proposition by the day.

Should we not lose another game, playing fabulous football, scoring goals for fun, and going up as champions, would you reverse that position ?

Would you judge an artist by a half finished painting ?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 24 Feb 2009 14:42

Is Vision Fred Elliot in disguise :mrgreen:

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 24 Feb 2009 14:45

Woodcote Royal Is Vision Fred Elliot in disguise :mrgreen: