Back from the Bristol City Game

123 posts
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Bristol City Game

by Sun Tzu » 23 Feb 2009 20:47

skipper I always got the impression Coppell never changed a winning side... So why has'nt he changed a losing one?!

We've not lost many recently to be fair....

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 Feb 2009 20:51

brendywendy he said after the game:

i could justifiably change the whole team
i will be making changes
etc
etc

Heard it before

I'll wait and see what he does against Forest but I expect to hear more of the same "I want to give the players a chance to right the wrong" lines that we heard all last season and a single change of Hunt for Lita

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Feb 2009 20:56

Mr Angry We have become so predictable, that once our team was announced, the Bristol City back 4 practised clearing headers, because they KNEW we would launch it long and hope for a flick on...

....whats so annoying is that NOTHING seems to have been learnt by the management team since we were outplayed by Southampton here; since then EVERYBODY has played us the same way, 1 up front, 3 central midfielders, 2 wingers. As a result, as many of us have said many many times on this forum, we get over-run in central midfield, we are unable to create anything for our strikers or give quality passes for our wingers who always end up having 2 players on them.

The result is no surprise - our main goal threat (apart from set plays) dries up through lack of service.

Solution?

Enough is enough; NHunt up front on his own, Doyle wide right, Tabb wide left, Marek in the middle with Cisse and Gunnarsson who are there to win the ball to allow Marek to create chances. SHunt needs a kick up the bum, Harper needs a rest, Kebe needs to get better, and the Lita experiment simply hasn't worked out.

At the very least, it will stuff u our opponents who know how we are going to play and prepare themselves accordingly; by changing to a 451, it will be something opponents won't expect.

Thank Gawd both Wolves and Brum are playing as badly!

Well said Mr A.
One thing I don't agree on is Doyle playing wide right but your overall point about predictability is spot on.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Feb 2009 12:21

Southbank Old Boy

i will be making changes
etc
etc

Heard it before

I'll wait and see what he does against Forest but I expect to hear more of the same "I want to give the players a chance to right the wrong" lines that we heard all last season and a single change of Hunt for Lita

i bet you there will be trhree changes from last weeks starting lineup

never has he said i will change things then not done so

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Feb 2009 12:26

ahh but the changes he has made have not met with HNA's satisfaction so don't count.

Coppell very rarely changes a winning team. He also rarely changes a team on the basis of 1 defeat. Quite sensibly. Defeats happen to every team.

He is a little slow to move things around and he sometimes makes odd choices. But contrary to popular belief, he DOES make those changes.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 24 Feb 2009 13:16

Ian Royal
He is a little slow to move things around and he sometimes makes odd choices. But contrary to popular belief, he DOES make those changes.

I'd say he's made more changes this season than in any other (but haven't checked that !) Not too sure how many have been enforced but we've had quite a few midfield permutations, several centre back pairings and a couple of variations up front. Of course the chnages have to be effective, there is no great merit in change its self...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Feb 2009 13:42

Copps has changed a winning team 8 times this season

Of course red cards, injuries are a factor

0 changes 16
1 changes 04
2 changes 06
3 changes 03
4 changes 01

Consecutive runs with identical first 11

1 D
2 WL
2 WL
2 WD
5 WWLWD
6 LWWWDD
2 WW
1 W
1 W
2 WD
1 D
2 WL
1 W
3 DDL

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 24 Feb 2009 19:28

brendywendy
Southbank Old Boy

i will be making changes
etc
etc

Heard it before

Are you sure?

I reckon he has, but i cant be arsed to trawl through the EP or OS to prove it, pretty sure he has said as much in post match interviews then changed his mind over the week at least

Pumpkin

by Pumpkin » 24 Feb 2009 19:48

I'm not sure what makes me more nervous, going back up or staying put....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Feb 2009 09:38

Southbank Old Boy
brendywendy
Southbank Old Boy
Heard it before

Are you sure?

I reckon he has, but i cant be arsed to trawl through the EP or OS to prove it, pretty sure he has said as much in post match interviews then changed his mind over the week at least

maybe three is pushing it, this is coppell after all!

but i only remember once , where he said he falt like changeing the whole team, then came into the next game with just a couple of changes
otherwise i dont remember him saying he would make changes, then not

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Feb 2009 09:42

Snowball Copps has changed a winning team 8 times this season

Of course red cards, injuries are a factor

0 changes 16
1 changes 04
2 changes 06
3 changes 03
4 changes 01

Consecutive runs with identical first 11

1 D
2 WL
2 WL
2 WD
5 WWLWD
6 LWWWDD
2 WW
1 W
1 W
2 WD
1 D
2 WL
1 W
3 DDL

On its own that's rather, I dunno, useless. How does it compare to previous seasons?

Further to that, I *know*, for example, the first change was 'enforced' - Marek got injured in the first game of the season. If you could filter out such events, that would be useful.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Feb 2009 09:43

Southbank Old Boy
brendywendy i bet you there will be trhree changes from last weeks starting lineup

Are you sure?

I have a similar recall of events as S O B here.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Feb 2009 09:54

papereyes
Southbank Old Boy
brendywendy i bet you there will be trhree changes from last weeks starting lineup

Are you sure?

I have a similar recall of events as S O B here.

i reckon thatll be just that the changes made werent the ones you wanted!

but id still like some proof before i apologise and back down :lol:

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 25 Feb 2009 10:11

EP after Southampton game :-
Coppell to Ring Changes"

EP 5 days later
“I’m thinking it might be best not to have a knee-jerk reaction and make four or five changes. In a sense giving them a chance to redeem themselves might be better than bringing in new faces so I probably won’t change too much.”

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... /s/2040030

Stand by for similar comment later this week. Like BW I expect only 3 changes at most - USA, Marek & Gunnar in for Feds,Harps & Cisse.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Feb 2009 12:34

he said he wanted to change the whole team, (though this could just be a public/verbal kick up the ass for the team)then backed down a bit from the whole team to a few, after sleeping on it, (and its clearly sensible not to be overly influenced by your emotions immediately after the event)
but he still clearly made the changes for the next game

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 25 Feb 2009 12:59

North Somerset Royal EP after Southampton game :-
Coppell to Ring Changes"

EP 5 days later
“I’m thinking it might be best not to have a knee-jerk reaction and make four or five changes. In a sense giving them a chance to redeem themselves might be better than bringing in new faces so I probably won’t change too much.”

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... /s/2040030

The result: no changes (I think I'm right in saying) and the start of an eight-match unbeaten run (albeit with some changes along the way). Apropos of which:-

North Somerset Royal Stand by for similar comment later this week. Like BW I expect only 3 changes at most - USA, Marek & Gunnar in for Feds,Harps & Cisse.

Thank goodness - four or five changes would smack of panic and a lack of trust in the players. A couple of personnel changes and an amendment to our approach to the game is all that's required.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Feb 2009 13:29

papereyes
On its own that's rather, I dunno, useless.

Justa answering the claim that Copps doesn't make changes.

How does it compare to previous seasons? Further to that, I *know*, for example, the first change was 'enforced' - Marek got injured in the first game of the season. If you could filter out such events, that would be useful.

Well there have been three red cards causing changes, Marek's injury, USA's injury, that's immediately covered 5/10 changes, then there's Armstrong's arrival, so that's 6 "automatic" changes... Sonko leaving was another...

Convey was only in for Shunt while Shunt was FB so that's 8. Oh, and Ingi's injury (9)

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Feb 2009 13:45

I've previously been told by someone at the club is that what tends to happen (last season, at least) is that immediately after the match SC is determined to make about 8 changes to the team when they're perfromed badly.

By Tuesday that's down to 5 or 6 changes, then by Thursday it's 3 or 4 changes, and by the time he finally picks the team on Friday his "gut feeling" has kicked in and there might be a change or two in the end.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 25 Feb 2009 14:00

Snowball
Well there have been three red cards causing changes, Marek's injury, USA's injury, that's immediately covered 5/10 changes, then there's Armstrong's arrival, so that's 6 "automatic" changes... Sonko leaving was another...

Convey was only in for Shunt while Shunt was FB so that's 8. Oh, and Ingi's injury (9)

There have (according to your figures) been 14, not 10 changes. If two changes are made in a team and one of them is because a player is injured / suspended then the other must be a selectional change.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Feb 2009 12:54

On a lighter note, who else thought that when Scott Murray came on, he and SHunt looked like the beginnings of an embryonic Hobbiton United team; they have a tricky away tie against their deadly local rivals, Mordor City, at their infamous Mount Doom Stadium next week; after that, the Twin Towers are in sight.

I think the Hobbiton manager, Gandalf (who has gone grey with all the stress) is going to ring the changes for that one!

123 posts