by Alan Partridge » 25 Feb 2009 12:11

BR2
Alan Partridge

A new low.

Un

Be

lievable

AP,What's going on with Torquay?
I have some significant bets that include Torquay each-way including 16/1 after their poor start.
Is there a reason?
Have they signed a 3rd or 4th choice league keeper again (ref.last season's dire signing of our lad)?
I only want top 3 so can you give me continuing hope?[/quote]

I will give you a quick run down m8.

Well they are playing much better football than last season but they aren't as effective. They lost Zebroski who went off to wycombe and lost 20 goals from the wing and also let Lee Phillips go who got 12 goals last season, his replacement Green has 3 this year...hmmm.

That's been the problem, (funny saying this having scored 3 but still not won last night) they haven't scored enough goals to go with their play. Last year even crap sides would have more of the ball than Torquay but Torquay could outscore anyone, this year they are dominating games (as they did against 2 CCC clubs in the Cup) but just can't score!! On topof that losing Chris Todd because of his illness was a big blow. he played just about every game of last season at centre back and was outstanding. He's at Salisbury on loan at the mo to build his fitness up, he'll be back soon which will help.

As for the keeper,for the first time in about 6 years since Kevin Dearden they actually have a settled and half decent keeper. Scott Bevan was signed from Shrewsbury after Michael Poke (on loan from Saints tore his calf) and has played the last 25 games or so,and for that league is a decent keeper.

Again as last seaosn they always seem to be playing catach up with the amount of games played (still 2 in hand over most of the teams around the top) due to cup exploits, postponements and good ol Setanta.

What I would say to give you (and me!!) some hope is that they are currently in run of 6 out of the next 7 games against weaker sides in the league. Sat evening they are away to Oxford but after that they play(in no particular order) Northwich,Barrow twice, Altrincham, Grays and Rushden. So if they can't start getting a few wins out of that lot it really is desperate times.

Top 3 hmm, I keep thinking that they will absolutely murder someone soon and go on another run like they did at the start of the season,that's the hope. They are more than capable of getting top 3 and i am still convinced they will make the playoffs.

What I would say is that it's going to be tight but don't throw away your betting slip just yet!

jocombes

Re: The non-league thread 2008/9

by jocombes » 25 Feb 2009 19:28

Kidlington 2-1 Reading Town

Match Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdfSHo4hePY

Match report to follow

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 26 Feb 2009 09:27

Is that link a match video or some crass songs?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Feb 2009 13:09

W&E lost 3-0 away to Swindon Supermarine in the Qtr final of the Southern League Cup. 2 late goals sealed the tie.

SS are about half-way in the Southern Premier League but with 4, 5 and 6 games in hand on most team they could be challenging for promotion to the Conference South.

Royalist

by Royalist » 27 Feb 2009 17:41

Wid put out a youth/ressie/sqaud side as we actually...wanted to lose! Fixture pile up would of meant 3 games a week.

Maidenhead away on tuesday should be interesting

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 27 Feb 2009 20:13

Its March 10th

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 27 Feb 2009 23:20

Royalist Maidenhead away on tuesday should be interesting

Like he said :-

That game [B&B Senior Cup Semi Final] is scheduled for the 10th. No midweek game for W&E next week then?

Other semi: Marlow vs Wycome XI next Wednesday 4th March @ Oak Tree Rd Marlow.

For info the B&B Senior Trophy semi's are the week after next too:-

Tues 10th March 2009

Reading Town V Flackwell Heath KO (probably) 19:45

Newport Pagnell Town V Aylesbury Vale KO 19.45pm

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 Feb 2009 01:14

Royalist Wid put out a youth/ressie/sqaud side as we actually...wanted to lose! Fixture pile up would of meant 3 games a week.

Maidenhead away on tuesday should be interesting

Having spoken to "my mate Brian" I now understand that is the case.

Spare a thought for Swindon Supermarine who already have up to 6 games to catch up on other teams in their league and now have a home and away semi final to cope with as well.
:shock:

Royalist

by Royalist » 28 Feb 2009 19:55

Windsor lost 1-0 which is a blow and makes the away trip to truro huge!

As for Swindon you do have to feel for them and shows up how pointless the southern leauge cup is. The fact that Paul Holsgrove came out of retirement, he's now a scout for us, shows how much it meant to us.

Next weekend is huge and i really can see Truro dropping points. I hope this week zooms by!!!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 28 Feb 2009 20:41

hmmmm.... not the best time to stutter especially with both Totton and Truro winning big.

- looking tighter at the bottom :shock: too - what with Andover and Bracknell cancelling each other out, Winchester winning and Thatcham doing them all a favour by beating 'Torenton'. Sluff might yet drop into trouble - got beat 4-0 at Uxbridge. Diddy won 3-0.

In the Hellenic - Reading Town dropped two more points - this time at Milton who've been woeful recently. Top two (Hungerford & Shortwood) both won and pulled further away, since 3rd place Witney lost @ the Almonds.

In the Division below that, huge wins for Wokkers and Ascot 6-0 and 7-1 - Binfield a more modest 1-0 but stay in touch and still unbeaten - Newbury won 6-1 away.

In CONF South - Magpies got a draw at Eastleigh, 'stoke beat Bath City 1-0 and the Beavers won in the last minute @ Worcester.

.... oh and our 'friends in the north' got done 2-0 at home by Torquay in the late KO
- listened to some of the Radio P@xford commentary in the car as I took my eldest to Youth Club - was hilarious - I don't get to listen to much of the Radio Baaarkshire live commentary on our games on Saturdays - I'm either at the game or somewhere odd watching non-league 8) - but I don't recall our lot (Joel, Tim, Micky G. etc etc) being quite so clueless.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 28 Feb 2009 21:34

Hodgey with a 91st minute winner, even AFC drew, maybe, just maybe.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Mar 2009 12:58

Royalist Windsor lost 1-0 which is a blow and makes the away trip to truro huge!

Christ what a poor performance by W&E - apart from the last 10 minutes when we had loads of chances to poke one in we were well held.

AFC Hayes really surprised me - they played some very nice football, almost always building from the back with neat passing and movement and but for a lack of composure in front of goal could have won more comfortably.

That was a massive blow.

The game was crying out for Martin Williams and it seemed very strange that he didn't come off the bench. I did hear a rumour that he arrived late for the pre-match build-up and Keith Scott wouldn't play him as a result.

jocombes

by jocombes » 01 Mar 2009 16:47

Match Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3EKPYuhDuA

Barmy Army Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuhSamT98kA

Reading stop the rot!!! (28th Feb)

Reading Town made sure it wasn't going to be 3 losses on the trot by drawing 1-1 at Milton this afternoon!

In the opening 10 minutes saw Reading Town have most of the ball which saw them create a few decent chances to get the opening goal early on. Reading Town kept on pressing and this Graham put a dangerous ball into the box from wide left which saw James Clark miss the header but the ball then fell to Scott Rees who couldn't poke it goal wards in the 13th minute. Just 2 minutes later saw Graham have a go at goal wide on the right but his effort went well wide of the mark. The Town were getting closer by the minute to scoring when a good ball from Duncan was headed on by Graham to Scott Rees who had shot from an acute angle which whizzed past the left hand post in the 24th minute. Milton were then forced into a substitution in the 29th minute after No 11 sustained an injury which saw him replaced. In the 33rd minute saw Scott Rees receiving treatment but the magic spray seemed to have worked and he was back on the field within minutes. The Town kept the pressure on and this saw Graham ping a ball into the box from the left but the Milton keeper gathered well to keep the scores 0-0. Milton took a surprising lead just before half time when Warren McCabe slotted it into the bottom left hand corner which saw a lot of cheering from the Milton crew. Reading Town came very close to find the equalizer when Graham Lewis's volley was brilliantly tipped around the post by Craig Griffiths.

The first few minutes of the 2nd half saw Milton create a chance which was blasted over the bar and then saw Graham Lewis one on one with keeper who saved well. The Reading boys were looking for the all important equalizer but Sam Flegg’s ambitious effort from far out sailed well over. Soon after Chris Grace made a superb reaction save after the ball looked to be going in but Chris Grace palmed away to keep it out. Milton were looking for the 2nd goal and this saw an effort fizz over the bar in the 58th minute. After the Milton effort on goal Ian brooks was substituted for Will Bratt. Milton kept on pressing which saw Gary Hartley fall like a sag of potatoes after slicing his effort in the 61st minute. In the 68th minute Milton made their second substitution of the afternoon with Simon Kenny going off and Chris Plummer going on. Not long after the substitution was made Gary Hartley was sent off for a second bookable offence after a scrap occurred. Reading Town were awarded a penalty in the 75th minute after Graham Lewis was brought down in the area. Dave Mills made no mistake from the spot who smashed the ball into the beck of net to make it 1-1. Late on Reading Town had a few chances but the efforts were either well off target or well saved by the keeper.

Lastly a great bunch of fans who loved the banter and having a laugh with us. Nice playing surface so not suprised that Oxford United train on it. Lovely burgers there aswell so all in all a great day out. So thanks very much Milton for making us feel welcome and good luck for the rest of the season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Mar 2009 17:42

Loanee goalkeeper Ross Kitteridge once again MOM for Basingstoke

Paul Brayson scored his 22nd goal in 21 games for Newcastle Blue Star :shock: a team where ex-royal Mick Tait has only just left his coaching role.

Pieman scored for Halesowen

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 03 Mar 2009 09:34

Hampton at home to Wales finest, Newport County.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 03 Mar 2009 13:39

Maidenhead at home to third bottom Thurrock tonight so hopefully 3 points.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 03 Mar 2009 14:21

I was gonna go to that one until Hodgey got me a freebie.

Thames

by Thames » 03 Mar 2009 14:24

Compo's Hat Maidenhead at home to third bottom Thurrock tonight so hopefully 3 points.

May join ya m8.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 04 Mar 2009 00:39

Finished 1-1 despite Maidenhead playing against 10 men (and rightly so for kicking out) for an hour.

Sloppy start led to Thurrock taking the lead but Maiders had a perfectly good goal ruled out and Thurrock should of had another man sent off for being the last man.

The tempo only arrived 10 minutes before the end when the equalizer went in on a wet and windy night and the Thurrock keeper pulled off a top draw save at the death to stop Maiders from taking all 3 points.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 04 Mar 2009 09:39

Shocking conditions and a shocking game, turned up at the Beveree, i was soaked thru after about 10 mins, hodgey wasn't even playing, windy cold and wet, unbeaten in 15, i turn up and they lose, i may start a Jonah persona, if you want a team beaten, let me know and i'll support or bet on them.

489 posts