Coppell out!

532 posts
Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell out!

by Rawlie19 » 02 Mar 2009 14:05

Whatever happens now this season, I think we'll be relegated next season. And it won't be with Coppell.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Mar 2009 14:12

He's been great in the past, but recently he seems to have made multiple excuses for losing, and it's quite clear he can't get his team confident again;

maybe there really are more than one factor involved, which would result in multiple factors actually being to blame

and LOL at "if he cant sort this out soon"
its been two losses FFS

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 02 Mar 2009 14:14

brendywendy
He's been great in the past, but recently he seems to have made multiple excuses for losing, and it's quite clear he can't get his team confident again;

maybe there really are more than one factor involved, which would result in multiple factors actually being to blame

its been two losses FFS

Brendy, please leave this forum.

You know any sort of optimism is not tollerated on the team board.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 02 Mar 2009 14:18

Rawlie19 Whatever happens now this season, I think we'll be relegated next season. And it won't be with Coppell.

And if we don't win promotion this season? :|

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 02 Mar 2009 14:36

Rawlie19 Whatever happens now this season, I think we'll be relegated next season. And it won't be with Coppell.

If we fuk up promotion this season, and I think we will, then next season will be horrible, but never a relegation season. The following season maybe. You happy smiley soul you.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Mar 2009 15:02

brendywendy

its been two losses FFS

It's not just the recent two loses though is it?

We've not scored for however long it is and we've not played well for even longer. That's the problem not the last couple of results.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Mar 2009 15:14

Hoop Blah
brendywendy

its been two losses FFS

It's not just the recent two loses though is it?

We've not scored for however long it is and we've not played well for even longer. That's the problem not the last couple of results.

well it is just two losses in that time
there are also other games since new year where we just havent been ripping teams a new A hole. a string of 5-6 average at best performances.and thats about it.but youd expect a spell or two like that over a season wouldnt you?
i certainly would
IMO thats too early to fly off the handle/throw toys out of pram/boo our own team.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Mar 2009 16:03

brendywendy well it is just two losses in that time
there are also other games since new year where we just havent been ripping teams a new A hole. a string of 5-6 average at best performances.and thats about it.but youd expect a spell or two like that over a season wouldnt you?
i certainly would
IMO thats too early to fly off the handle/throw toys out of pram/boo our own team.

Fair comments, although I don't bother booing and I personally think our poor spell has now gone on the best part of 3 months.

It doesn't seem to have mattered too much as the rest of the division has been equally poor!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Mar 2009 16:22

It still amazes me that some people are still able to see the positives out of a load of negatives with our playing style and our results lately. Fair play to those of you that are still positive though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Mar 2009 16:26

Royal Lady It still amazes me that some people are still able to see the positives out of a load of negatives with our playing style and our results lately. Fair play to those of you that are still positive though.

The positive, as I said elsewhere, is that despite it all promotion is all in our own hands - win one of our games (even draw both) in hand over Brum and all we have to do is match every team below us point for point over 12 games.

As a lot of the teams around us seem as incapable of taking hold of the mettle as we are then this has to be a positive.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 02 Mar 2009 16:29

Stranded
Royal Lady It still amazes me that some people are still able to see the positives out of a load of negatives with our playing style and our results lately. Fair play to those of you that are still positive though.

The positive, as I said elsewhere, is that despite it all promotion is all in our own hands - win one of our games (even draw both) in hand over Brum and all we have to do is match every team below us point for point over 12 games.

As a lot of the teams around us seem as incapable of taking hold of the mettle as we are then this has to be a positive.

Every game I keep expecting us to turn around and play like earlier in the season. All those goals we scored were not just a matter of luck. The team has talent, the goals will come, we just need to get the first one to take off some of the pressure.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 02 Mar 2009 16:32

As frustrating as recent performances have been they can be counterbalanced somewhat by a simple glance at the league table.
Its more about not being suicidal rather than being positive though when we've still an awful lot to play for and it still lies in our own hands. Don't think there are too many clubs/fans in this division that wouldn't swap situations with us in a heartbeat.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Mar 2009 16:35

Deathy

If we fuk up promotion this season, and I think we will, then next season will be horrible, but never a relegation season. The following season maybe. You happy smiley soul you.

Interesting you say that. You said this:

Jay We are going to struggle this season because our chairman is holding us back.

At the start of this season.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Mar 2009 16:52

In my case I can tell you why that is. I work on the time honoured principle that a season is 40+ games long and that teams will have patches where they are excellent and patches where they are dire, and all levels in between. A successful promotion bid is based on making the CofG lean very heavily to the excellent end of the scale. In our case we had a very strong start to this season and are now in a dull period. I retain optimism that we will pull out of this and press on again - and I conceded that I may be wrong but that is what fans do. I'll still be confident of an improvement right up to the last possible moment, as I have done for the last 47 years of supporting RFC.

The fact that we are still third and still easily in touch with the top is grounds for positive thinking (for the reasons above). That we have a squad that is very strong and underperforming is a balance between positive and negative that I can cope with. I understand the deep concerns of those who are unhappy with the current results (and, to some extent, the current performances) but my view is still based on the 'whole picture' of the season thus far and the inherent talent that there is in the squad.

I do despair when I read such absolutes as 'is not a footballer' ; 'couldn't pass a ball to save his life' etc. The truth is that these guys have all filtered to this level of their profession by a mix of ability and application. They were probably the best of 11 players in school teams and also the district team and then .... so they have already been repeatedly picked out as better than others around them at several levels. That they are human and still don't produce world class outcomes every day is understandable. That we get frustrated by that is equally understandable, but not that we attack them with quite such absolute vitriol as some do on here.

I know it is an unpopular thing to say here, but having been present at games in the 4th Division and fringing on the bottom of that level I am enjoying being viewed by the likes of Wolves, Forest, QPR, Southampton etc as, at the very least, an equal; and more likely as a target to reach for.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Mar 2009 17:06

Some bullish and inspiring words from Coppell today; coming out fighting on the front foot:

Steve, a defat on Saturday was there a bit of a lack of imagination upfront?

I don't know.

Is this a crisis?

I don't know.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 85,00.html

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Mar 2009 17:11

floyd__streete Some bullish and inspiring words from Coppell today; coming out fighting on the front foot:

I don't know.

Is this a crisis?

I don't know.

I like the way there that you a) chose not to post his full answers to those questions and b) ignored the more positive things he says later in the interview.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Mar 2009 17:12

come off it RL, you've rightly been pulled up here. Of course our results/performances have been very poor recently, no-one's denying that.

But (and I'm only repeating other replies to you here so I'll be brief) the table and the form of others is still a positive.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Mar 2009 17:14

Yes, but don't you acknowledge that even if we did go up, we'd be piss poor in the Prem without some better investment? It's beyond this season that I'm looking at - if we go up and don't invest - we'll struggle, if we don't go up and we lose some of our key players and don't reinvest wisely, we'll struggle.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Mar 2009 17:16

Stranded
floyd__streete Some bullish and inspiring words from Coppell today; coming out fighting on the front foot:

I don't know.

Is this a crisis?

I don't know.

I like the way there that you a) chose not to post his full answers to those questions and b) ignored the more positive things he says later in the interview.

I simply summarised the relevant parts.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Mar 2009 17:18

floyd__streete
Stranded

I don't know.

Is this a crisis?

I don't know.

I simply summarised the relevant parts.

Maybe you should be a journalist, they're good at doing that.

532 posts