Why Lita Doesn't Work

248 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Why Lita Doesn't Work

by Royal Rother » 06 Mar 2009 13:16

Ian Royal Rother, would you say it is even remotely reasonable to attribute poor results/performances to a player who isn't even involved in the squad? Because that seems to be what has been implied in a couple of places..

Has it? I must have missed that.

Ian Royal My personal view on Lita, to clarify totally, is that I don't like him. I think he has a lot of talent, but his attitude is suspect and he doesn't fit in well in our squad, play wise and personality wise. I think it's best for both parties that he moves on. .

I don't dislike him as such, and I've never really had a problem with his on-field attitude - I just don't think he's particularly talented, and I don't think he's a clever enough footballer to push on. It's too easy for reasonably decent defenders to suss him out.

Ian Royal However, he is here at the moment and is a more proven, dangerous and talented striker than Shane Long IMO. Therefore if we're paying his wages we should make use of him. In a Reading team playing with confidence and quality he will score goals, probably quite a few given the right type of service. .

As I've said before, despite the reservations about Lita's ability, I do feel that he needs a particular type of service to be seen at his best. Through balls to run onto and hit first time would definitely service his strength. Give him time to think, (shoot or pass etc.) and his brain seems to freeze. Lita's form for us of 2-3+ years ago is certainly better than Long has shown for us, but in his limited opportunities Long, whatever weaknesses he has shown, has certainly demonstrated that he's a good finisher, and far better with the type of service provided these days, than Lita.

The stats back that up 100%! :wink:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Mar 2009 13:44

Ian Royal would you say it is even remotely reasonable to attribute poor results/performances to a player who isn't even involved in the squad? Because that seems to be what has been implied in a couple of places.

You should have watched Dream Team! Let's use an example (eg a la DT) What if a non-squad playing was bonking another player's Mrs
and the sh!t hit the fan, fight in the changing-room, couple split up. That's an example. Do you agree that such a scenario might
lower team morale and cohesiveness, whether or not either or both of the footballers were in the first eleven?

How about (another hypothetical example)... a player says he is not interested in helping his team by being on the bench.
He's "too big" for that (stuff the team's ambitions, what about ME?) So he goes on loan, and whereas for his home club he
has done almost-nothing for two years, he seems to want to play for this loan club. Then he praises the loan club and says
he would rather stay there. This hypothetical player is obviously leaving his club at the end of the season, doesn't want to
sign a new contract, refuses to move to another Championship club when the club would earn a million plus because by holding out
he will get a fat signing-on fee.

Our hypothetical player is arrogant, has been involved in unrest and (allegedly) at least one fight with players. Allegedly
he has been involved in night-club problems and the like, and allegedly has skirmished unpleasantly with locals.

Then our hypothetical player is brought back into the squad, a squad which prides itself on its team-ethos, its one-for-all
and all-for-one. The squad's strikers have forged a brilliant partnership and the club has the best goal difference in the league
but for some unfathomable reason the normally loyal manager gives this arrogant, aggressive, non-team-player yet ANOTHER
last chance.

Now tell me, if you were a player scoring almost 1 in 2 and were dropped for someone you might well think is a turd, might you be unhappy
and might some of your mates be unhappy? How does this arrogant hypothetical player "chops" in training or on away trips? If he plays
and tries to score to up his money (t=rather than pass for a team-mate) how does THAT p!ss you (and others) off? And even if the manager
then drops this hypothetical player, IF (say) you really don't like this person and would rather they weren't around, and IF (say) his attitude
and chops is capable of winding up players, isn't his very PRESENCE likely to disturb the hard-fought-for team-spirit?

Leaving behind the above "hypothetical player"...

Were RFC fans not a little surprised at how damning Coppell's statement about Lita was? Did they think that was "standard stuff"?

Or did they think it was a message to the squad, that Lita is finished?

For example, the club web-site suggests Shane Long might start on Saturday as Doyle is 50/50

Is that not a surprise given that, according to many, Lita is ten times the player Long is?

Face it, it isn't always about skill or goals, it's about fitting in with a platoon of soldiers. The TEAM

Fezza

by Fezza » 06 Mar 2009 17:15

Frankly I find it hard to blame Lita for his perceived attitude given the way that SC has blatantly mismanaged him (and in my opinion the team) for the past two years. If SC has a problem with Leroy then he should have been either sold or released at the start of last season (after a good U21 campaign generated interest), rather than kept in the dressing room as a malignant influence as Snowball suggests he is.

Our poor form (both current and that of last season) should be firmly laid at SC's door rather than individual players. SC is responsible not only for the tactics and motivation of the team, but, also for the harmony in the changing room.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Mar 2009 19:55

Fezza Frankly I find it hard to blame Lita for his perceived attitude given the way that SC has blatantly mismanaged him (and in my opinion the team) for the past two years. If SC has a problem with Leroy then he should have been either sold or released at the start of last season (after a good U21 campaign generated interest), rather than kept in the dressing room as a malignant influence as Snowball suggests he is.

Our poor form (both current and that of last season) should be firmly laid at SC's door rather than individual players. SC is responsible not only for the tactics and motivation of the team, but, also for the harmony in the changing room.

I can' argue with that. SSC does SEEM to have certain man-management problems.

Having said that, we rarely know all the facts.

But I agree, if he's not in his plans, then he should have gone (but then SSC might be worried about cover...)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Mar 2009 01:47

Royal Rother
Ian Royal Rother, would you say it is even remotely reasonable to attribute poor results/performances to a player who isn't even involved in the squad? Because that seems to be what has been implied in a couple of places..

Has it? I must have missed that.

Ian Royal My personal view on Lita, to clarify totally, is that I don't like him. I think he has a lot of talent, but his attitude is suspect and he doesn't fit in well in our squad, play wise and personality wise. I think it's best for both parties that he moves on. .

I don't dislike him as such, and I've never really had a problem with his on-field attitude - I just don't think he's particularly talented, and I don't think he's a clever enough footballer to push on. It's too easy for reasonably decent defenders to suss him out.

Ian Royal However, he is here at the moment and is a more proven, dangerous and talented striker than Shane Long IMO. Therefore if we're paying his wages we should make use of him. In a Reading team playing with confidence and quality he will score goals, probably quite a few given the right type of service. .

As I've said before, despite the reservations about Lita's ability, I do feel that he needs a particular type of service to be seen at his best. Through balls to run onto and hit first time would definitely service his strength. Give him time to think, (shoot or pass etc.) and his brain seems to freeze. Lita's form for us of 2-3+ years ago is certainly better than Long has shown for us, but in his limited opportunities Long, whatever weaknesses he has shown, has certainly demonstrated that he's a good finisher, and far better with the type of service provided these days, than Lita.

The stats back that up 100%! :wink:

1) That's what seems to have been suggested to me. Even if it hasn't been, would you agree it would be bollocks if it had?

I'm not sure there's much I can disagree with otherwise. We seem to be kind of agreeing on most things about Lita, just I still prefer him as a starter to Long and think he's more likely to get goals from a run of starts in a team playing fairly well.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Mar 2009 01:51

Fezza Frankly I find it hard to blame Lita for his perceived attitude given the way that SC has blatantly mismanaged him (and in my opinion the team) for the past two years. If SC has a problem with Leroy then he should have been either sold or released at the start of last season (after a good U21 campaign generated interest), rather than kept in the dressing room as a malignant influence as Snowball suggests he is.

The problem with selling him was from what I can tell, no one wanted him until Sheffield. So we're better off trying to rehabilitate him than giving him shed loads of money in a termination and then having to spend shed loads more on another striker. It's not really worked, but it's not a stupid call.

The one time someone has come in with a reasonable offer, he's turned the move down.

Coppell must also take the plaudits for our current league position and recovery from relegation, exactly the same as he takes them for us finishing 8th and 1st with 106pts. Can't be all good.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 07 Mar 2009 01:56

Agree with you there IR. The next few months are a proving point for Lita. He has to get the games to prove himself, either to this club or for the selling market. I wish him to succeed for this club primarily, then either get a contract extension or move onto pastures new. The time is dwindling down for him now that's the worry he's got right now, i presume.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Mar 2009 02:02

royalexile Agree with you there IR. The next few months are a proving point for Lita. He has to get the games to prove himself, either to this club or for the selling market. I wish him to succeed for this club primarily, then either get a contract extension or move onto pastures new. The time is dwindling down for him now that's the worry he's got right now, i presume.

TBH even if he comes in and excells I don't really want him to stay. I still think it's time to move on. Although, a new manager may get him firing to his potential should Coppell leave, in which case he MAY be a useful asset to have no matter which tier we're in.

I can't see the goals flooding his way though.

248 posts
It is currently 05 Oct 2024 16:20